4.0 out of 5 stars A fine upgrade from the basic Sodor Engine Wash.
Published on October 10, 2005 by Doctor Trance

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked once
So, does anyone know what is wrong with this toy?
We bought the scrub and shine, brand new, tested it, and then put it away for a gift (with batteries removed) for our little one.

We gave the destination to our little one, today, and wouldnt' you know, the sounds don't work.
It had only been used once before, to test to make sure it worked (which it...
Published on July 25, 2012 by Heather R. Coxon

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine upgrade from the basic Sodor Engine Wash., October 10, 2005
Doctor Trance (MA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway - Sodor Scrub and Shine (Toy)
Take the concept of the Sodor Engine Wash (two pressure yielding, rubber washing posts that you guide the train through with a knob) and add lights, faux water, a spinning wheel, and much more color, and you have the Sodor Scrub and Shine. It's a very solid piece, considering it has lots of plastic. When you guide the train through with the knob, it begins to make one sound, then as the train passes through, another sound, and then a drying sound when the train hits the end of the line. You then press the button to pop the train up back onto the track.

On one connector piece end, you have to lift the Scrub and Shine up and place it onto this small piece of track, which contrasts with the normal ease of connecting Thomas track. Little ones may get frustrated having to pick this big thing up all the time to connect it.

One other note is that if you leave the tester/store display strip sticking out of the bottom, it remains in store test mode. This means that when you press the button that normally releases the train when it is at the end of it's wash, you hear the entire wash sounds go through their sequence. When you pull it out, you have to make the train go through to hear every sound, and the button only releases the train now. I am almost sorry I pulled it out, as it seemed more fun to my son when he just pressed the button once to hear everything without having to make the train go through!

It's a fun piece, but I can't give it 5 stars due to it's heavy use of plastic, and the fact you have to place it on top of one of it's connecting tracks. It's still solid with the plastic, but it just doesn't have that classic Thomas wooden look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sodor Scrub & Shine, July 18, 2005
My 3-year-old son LOVES this train wash and it's an excellent addition to our Thomas train set. The only problem with it is that it has two female ends and that makes it hard to use it as part of your track, without buying a piece with two male ends or just playing with it outside the track setup. He still has lots of fun, but because of the track design, we just gave it 4 stars, because now we have to buy MORE pieces...

5.0 out of 5 stars interactive fun, May 15, 2009
My 2.5 year old daughter is fascinated with car washes so when I got this Thomas Train wash, she loved it. She can turn the knob on top to pull the trains through (engines only--the other cars do not fit) and pushes a button to hear the sound effects and lift the train back onto the track. Works with the motorized or the basic engines. Cool scrubbers! Makes a nice side destination on a track.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY high quality addition! but, water is drained out..., March 2, 2009
Like the other wooden Thomas items, this is very high quality and sturdy. Of course, it's beautifully painted....and the sounds it makes are great. My son loves playing with his. The only problem with mine is that at some point, the liquid leaked out of mine. I never saw a spot, so it must have happened slowly, over a long period of time. I would still have purchased it, knowing that...I just wanted to add it to my review in case someone else would mind. It may have just been mine, but I wanted to add it. Hope this helps=)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift!, November 29, 2012
S. Vance (Abingdon, VA) - See all my reviews
This appears to be very well put together and sturdy. This was purchased as a Christmas gift and I'm sure it will be a big hit because my great-nephew loves going to the car wash.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked once, July 25, 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
So, does anyone know what is wrong with this toy?

It had only been used once before, to test to make sure it worked (which it did). Now, after being in a dry, a/c'd closet, it doesn't work.

All it does is turn one red light on when you pass a train through the destination, and the light does not turn off unless you pull the batteries. It does not follow any sequence, and there are no sounds.

Has this happened to anyone else?

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it a 5 but..., December 28, 2008
K. Darling (Sth Dakota, USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Same as lots of other reviewers, doesn't fit your track without a special track piece. Not cool!

Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway - Sodor Scrub and Shine