5.0 out of 5 stars Fits some wooden trains
This is great for traveling. It is the only thing I have found that stores Thomas trains - even though it's take n' play, the wooden engines can also fit in some of the spots (though there is not much room for the long trains). My son (2 1/2) was amazingly entertained on an airplane and in our hotel by the tiny little oval track.
Published on December 25, 2010 by KP

3.0 out of 5 stars Great carry case-poor track
Published on December 30, 2011 by Josh Mandeville

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits some wooden trains, December 25, 2010
KP (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars More entertainment than I thought!, March 15, 2011
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
My son received this for Christmas and has proved to be the BEST gift he got! It has provided hours and hours of entertainment. I never would have imagined he would like it this much. Just the little circle track inside has been fun for him. Now I am on a mission to find the tracks that attach to it so he can add on. I simply bought this for storage. I did not think he would get playtime out of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Room for the whole Steam Team (plus an extra space!), December 22, 2011
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
The outside of this Tote-a-Train, equipped with a handle and very sturdy, has Thomas' big, happy face; upon opening it up, there are 9 different compartments for train storage - enough for the entire Steam Team (Thomas, Edward, Henry, Gordon, James, Percy, Toby, Emily) PLUS one! But ALSO included is a circular track with a stop signal arm! The area inside the track depicts various elements of places and activities on the Island of Sodor. While it can connect up to other playsets at two points, my grandson's Tote-a-Train usually sits on a shelf with his Thomas books & DVDs (closed up with Thomas' happy smile showing!), but anytime we go someplace where he wants to introduce someone to the whole Steam Team, THIS is the playset he takes! The Tote-a-Train first appeared on TnP's original Spring 2010 Collector Checklist, and we paid $14.97 for our grandson's. (Update: Fisher-Price's summer 2013 MSRP is $16.)

Update: There are 17 playsets in the TnP line as of summer 2013 that have MSRP's of under $25 - they are (in order of introduction): this ORIGINAL version of the Tote-a-Train Playbox, Colin at the Wharf, Thomas at the Farm, Percy's Mail Delivery, Tidmouth Tunnel, Toby at Trotter's Farm, Sir Handel at Great Waterton, Sodor Engine Wash, Talking Diesel's Fuel & Freight Delivery, Sodor Paint Shop, Around the Rails with Thomas, Muddy Adventure, Go Go Speedy Railway, Sodor Lumber Company, Treasure Tracks, a NEW version of the Tote-a-Train Playbox, and Brendam Docks. The beauty of these TnP playsets is that he can choose one to easily disconnect from the others, fold up and take with us on excursions. They're definitely the simplest to "TAKE N PLAY" with!

A little of our own "Thomas" history... As first time grandparents, my husband and I wanted to start some type of collection for our grandson that he could possibly pass along to his own kids one day. Our grandson was 2 1/2 at the time, and had been talking a lot about a certain train named Thomas (a little fella whom - now seems hard to believe! - we'd never heard of.) After doing some research, it seemed the Take-n-Play line might be the perfect investment to engage and encourage his active imagination, as well as provide a fun way for us to interact with him. What a rewarding decision... we've had SO much fun together with this quality line of trains, vehicles and playsets! He's now 4, and a large portion of our basement has become a wonderful Sodor land of make believe that we all enjoy visiting - and continues to hold his interest, which is quite a feat given the tendency at that age to move in and out of toy phases so quickly!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great carry case-poor track, December 30, 2011
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
This is a great carrying case for Take N Play trains. However, the track part is not so good. The case part is "top heavy" and tends to fall over while trying to play with the trains on the track at restaurants. If you lay the case part down, the track is at an odd angle and not easy to play with. Overall, we are happy with this buy but still take one of the smaller Take N Play tracks(usually Maithwait Station) with for the actual playing while out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for storage and play, September 9, 2011
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
My four old loves his "Thomas suitcase." He can fit a lot of his engines in the case and the top row is great for holding all of the tenders on the long engines. If you are in a pinch, you can even put an engine upside down on top of one of the other engines and the case will still close. The oval track means that the case can stand alone as a toy or be connected with other tracks. I use the case for travel, so we won't be dragging all of his engines along and them getting lost.

The only drawback I have found are the latches. They are very easy to use and a young child would be able to open them without a problem. I wish they latched a little more securely. We have had a few occasions where the case has come open unexpectedly and all of the engines have fallen out. So for that I take off a star, but it's still a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tote!, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
This tote box is perfect for the take-n-play trains. It connects easily to other take-n-play tracks and is very durable. Definitely a must buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and sturdy thomas train bag, January 13, 2011
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
My grandson loved this bag, it fits all of his metal thomas trains. He brought this bag everwhere he goes and so happy showing it to his friends :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for occupying a 2 1/2 year old, April 8, 2011
kschulke (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
This has been the one toy that occupies our 2 1/2 year old nicely when we are out and about. Watching 2-hour baseball games was quite the challenge until we discovered how content he could be while driving his trains around this take-n-play track. He is even willing to share with other kids when we pack 2 engines. Well worth the money and I'm looking for compatible expansion parts. The magnets on these trains are extra strong so we don't have the problem with trains coming apart as we do with the play-at-home set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Little Overpriced, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
This item is all plastic and overpriced for its quality. It also does not stand alone as shown on ad and needs to be propped up against the back of something. Also, the compartments inside are too small for some engines. The track is also disappointing. If you want your kids to really play with this, you will need to order more tracks and other accessories. The engines do not stay on the track which was frustrating for our two 3-year olds. Great idea that needs some finetuning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun..., August 8, 2010
ALS (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox (Toy)
I bought this carrier for my son for his 2nd birthday and he LOVES it. The latches are easy for him to work himself. We have the McColl's Farm Take-Along, too, which is compatible. It connects - very awkwardly, but my son doesn't mind. He can - and has - played for hours. Good buy. Would recommend.

Thomas the Train: Take-n-Play Tote-a-Train Playbox