5.0 out of 5 stars Thor: The Dark World - Original Score
Published 8 months ago by JMM

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Soundtrack but technical issues
This soundtrack is great as are other Tyler works. However there are some major flaws in the mix that cause major distortion from any system it is played on. Even the audio system at the theater was suffering from Major distortion from an underlying raspy sound in several sections. I hear it on almost every device I play it on too. I bought the first track "The Dark...
Published 4 months ago by Julian

5.0 out of 5 stars Thor: The Dark World - Original Score, November 5, 2013
I was a big fan of Brian Tyler's score for "Iron Man 3", so I was happy that he was continuing his collaboration with Marvel to work on "Thor: The Dark World". I also enjoyed Patrick Doyle's work on the original "Thor" film, and was looking forward to hearing what new music the sequel would bring. It seems that for "The Dark World", Tyler has produced a similar style and tone; although those who like continuity in film franchises might be a little disappointed, because I didn't hear any specific themes from the first film re-used here.

The music has a lot of great action cues that will add to the fun of those sequences in the movie - fortunately, the music is also great to listen to on its own. There are also some tracks that skillfully use vocals, the most memorable of which is "Lockasenna" [Track 2]. I always enjoy the use of choral elements in soundtracks, and it feels very appropriate here given the larger-than-life nature of this story about gods and other worlds.

Overall, I think "Thor: The Dark World" is a great soundtrack that's surpasses the original "Thor" album - although both are definitely worth a listen. This is the second great score from Brian Tyler in 2013, and "The Dark World" is among the best scores for a Marvel Studios film to date.

The one other thing to mention is that this film is the first to feature just the Marvel Studios logo at the front (no Disney, Paramount, etc). As such, the logo has been expanded and Tyler was asked to create a full 30-second fanfare - this music is included on "The Dark World" album, and is likely to be heard at the beginning of every future Marvel Studios film.

Favorite Tracks
[1] Thor: The Dark World
[2] Lockasenna
[24] As the Hammer Falls

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album and Catchy Themes, November 8, 2013
Although different from Patrick Doyle's score, Brian Tyler's theme is catchy and is fitting for a god of thunder. He uses the theme in various forms throughout the soundtrack which makes it feel more connected, rather than just a CD of random film score tracks. I would definitely recommend this album to anyone who enjoys movie soundtracks and those that were fans of Patrick Doyle's score.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thor: The Dark World - Original Score, November 15, 2013

Favorite Tracks
[1] Thor: The Dark World
[2] Lockasenna
[24] As the Hammer Falls

5.0 out of 5 stars My shot at putting the tracks back into "show order", April 3, 2014
This review is from: Thor: The Dark World (Audio CD)
I love the soundtrack, but they aren't in the order played during the movie! (Who's bright idea was that?) Plus, as far as I can tell, some cues are missing, like one for Jane Foster and another for Malekith. Anyway, here's my take at putting the tracks back in order. If anyone has a better ordering, please post it in reply!

1 - Thor: The Dark World (could possibly go at the end; not actually used in the movie intro, but heard during the DVD menus)

2 - Marvel Studios Fanfare

3 - Origins (the movie's cold open, "bury it deep", etc.)

4 - Lokasenna (Odin confronts Loki and sends him to the dungeon)

5 - Battle of Vanaheim

6 - Shadows of Loki (discussion after the battle)

7 - Sword and Council (Thor returning to Asgard and buttering up Odin - hm, I wonder if I could get a butter Odin for Eoster celebrations this year?)

missing cue here for Jane Foster and Darcy careening around London?

8 - Vortex (Jane Foster and Darcy explore the anomaly)

9 - Convergence? (Jane+Aether return)

10 - Journey to Asgard (Thor shows up and carries Jane off)

another missing cue in here somewhere for the Dark Elves prepping for their attack on Asgard

11 - Uprising

12 - A Universe from Nothing (storytime with Odin! And he's not Borr-ing, either! yuk yuk yuk)

13 - Untouchable

14 - The Trial of Loki (when Frigga brings Loki his books)

15 - Invasion of Asgard

16 - Into Eternity (probably the best song on the soundtrack and definitely my favorite part of the movie starting with Thor zapping Doctor Who, er, I mean Malekith, although I'm quite partial to "Betrayal" and "Legacy")

17 - An Unlikely Alliance (the team plots treason)

18 - Escaping the Realm (Thor tries knocking down the rest of the throne room pillars; Loki proves he's the better driver)

19 - Betrayal (Loki steals the show, which reminds me to find everything else Tom Hiddleston's ever done. He's my new favorite actor.)

20 - Thor, Son of Odin

I'm really unsure of the placement of the remaining tracks, so take this with a grain of salt.

21 - Deliverance

22 - Beginning of the End

23 - Battle Between Worlds

24 - As the Hammer Falls

25 - Legacy

26 - Asgard (UPDATE: this is clearly played during the end credits, can't believe I missed that)

I sometimes play "Thor: The Dark World" a second time at the end. Anyway, that's what I've come up with so far. I'm really hoping for corrections and possibly pointers to missing cues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thor: The Dark World soundtrack is fantastic!!, November 25, 2013
Hachioji Tex (Fresno, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thor: The Dark World (Audio CD)
Thor: The Dark World soundtrack by Brian Tyler was really good, and surprised me, since I was expecting Patrick Doyle to compose this film. I loved what Mr. Doyle did with the first Thor film, so I thought it would make sense to have him do the second film. Well, they didn't use him and used Mr. Tyler instead for which I was disappointed to hear, until I listened to the music. What can I say, the music surpassed film and made me a follower of Brian Tyler. I later found out that he worked on Constantine and Battle: Los Angeles, two film scores that I loved as well. Again, the one reason I was a little hesitant was that his work on Iron Man 3, while good, was very different from what I expected a Thor soundtrack to be, so I was more than pleased when what I heard in the theater was beyond what I was expecting. This soundtrack was great from the beginning to the end. I loved just about every track and I hope they get him to do the third Thor film. The hammer has fallen. Let the lighting strike down the Dark Elves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Tyler shaping up to be the best composer of our time, February 27, 2014
It started a few short years ago when I bought the DVD for Fimucite: The Biomechanical Symphony and heard Brian Tyler's Wagnerian piece for Alien vs Predator Requiem. I was hooked and immediatly started looking for his work. Bought Expendables, AVP:R, Iron Man 3 and now own Thor:The Dark World. Hard as it is to imagine Tyler gets better and better each time I hear him and this is my favorite album to date. A tour de force to say the least. Would highly recommend it to anyone who loves film music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thor 2: The Dark World, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Thor: The Dark World (Audio CD)
This is a awesome soundtrack it is fun and enjoyable to listen to the best songs on this soundtrack are all of them. if you have not listened to this soundtrack then I recommend you do

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Soundtrack, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Thor: The Dark World (Audio CD)
This is a fabulous soundtrack for all lovers of movie soundtracks. Crank this up on a good set of tower speakers and you feel as if you were transported to Asgaard. A true delight and a very powerful soundtrack!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Magical, Tyler Shines Brilliant, February 6, 2014
This review is from: Thor: The Dark World (Audio CD)
After having listened to this score only a few times, I have found myself whistling the melody. Astonishingly powerful percussion and choir meld into a magical aural journey that is epic in size and has beautiful vocal moments to ground us in the world of Asgard. The music is an actor in this film and that is what scoring should be about. Glad they included the Marvel Studios Fanfare at the end. Tyler is definitely the go to action composer. Very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars as good as it gets!, January 24, 2014
This review is from: Thor: The Dark World (Audio CD)
Inspiring, amazing. The best soundtrack I've purchased since Conan The Barbarian and 13th Warrior! lends itself to repeat listening, and very little of the unmusical bits that represent rote action or suspense that makes so many action movie soundtracks hard to listen to,

Thor: The Dark World
Thor: The Dark World by Brian Tyler (Audio CD)
Rate and Discover Movies