5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Quality & Style
Published on November 28, 2010 by OhioGardener

3.0 out of 5 stars Not steller
OK But not great. Well constructed. did not offer the foot/knee/ leg support I needed for long stints of standing stationary on concrete.
Published 19 months ago by Arthur Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Quality & Style, November 28, 2010
I've always been a sucker for the classic Red Wing 1907 Moc Toe Boot. To be honest, I don't even need these boots--I have a sedentary job and I keep a pair of Vasque Sundowner hiking boots for hiking, which double nicely as work boots around the yard. But still, every time I would see a pair of those Red Wings, with all that gorgeous full-grain, triple-stitched, made-in-the-USA leather goodness, I would purpose in my heart to have a pair of my very own. Typically, I would get as far as typing in my credit card info before guilty feelings over the $240 price tag would cause me to reluctantly remove the 1907s from my cart and go sulk in front of the TV.

This time however, while searching for the Red Wings, I came across Thorogood Men's American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot. Welt construction? Check. Triple-stitched, full-grain leather? Check. Made in the good old USA? Check. That classic white sole? Check. My heart leapt when I saw the $120 price. Was it possible? Although the Thorogoods in the Tobacco Gladiator color certainly looked as handsome as the Red Wings in the pictures, a nagging doubt entered my mind. Surely they would break my heart by being the same odd orange color one sees on the Chinese knockoffs. Or they would be poorly sewn. Or fit badly. Nevertheless, driven by desperation and buoyed by Amazon's liberal return policies and the thought of saving $120 dollars, I pulled the trigger.

When the boots arrived, I couldn't have been more pleased. My wife swears that she saw a single tear of joy roll down my cheek when I opened the box and gazed upon them for the first time. The fit is fantastic, the quality superb and the price amazing. I was surprised that they aren't as clunky as my hiking boots and they're very well cushioned. And the leather...well, it's just beautiful.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorogood is top quality, July 30, 2012
This really is the best balance between toughness and comfort out there. (Including Red Wings.) As a carpenter, I've worn these boots doing finish and in the elements working on a concrete crew.

I feel the need to clarify a point about the soles not being Vibram brand. This boot came with the Vibram wedge sole for years but I know a lot of people (myself included) who called the company and complained about the fact that the soles would wear out too quickly. I would literally re-sole these things two or three times before I was ready to get rid of the boot. The Thorogood brand sole is an attempt at making a longer lasting sole with the comfort of the wedge. I believe the new sole will be an upgrade on an already killer pair of boots.

The other thing to consider here is that these are an excellent value. These things are top quality, USA and union made and half the price of the Red Wings. In fact I own a couple different styles of Thorogood boots and would highly recommend them all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Men's Thorogood 6" moc toe boot, November 26, 2013
This review is from: Thorogood Men's 814-4200 American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot (Apparel)
The quality of these boots was top notch. They were, however, much too large. Sizing is 1/2 to 1 size larger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really nice boots, April 27, 2014
I didn't know what to expect with these. I looked at the Duluth Trading contractor boots in their catalogs for some time and almost pulled the trigger on a pair from them before I ran across a thread online naming the manufacturer as the same folks who build Thorogood boots. On amazon the price was a great deal, and I bad some gift certificate money from work, so I said what the heck.

I'm so glad I did. These boots are just like my dad wears, a union construction worker my whole life. He always swears by the wedge sole as the perfect sole for being on your feet moving around all day. It also adds a lot of stability when you have to walk across that 6 inch top plate to get ready to set the next truss.

My dad hung up his tool belt and finally retired, but he still putts around the house doing his hobbies in his work boots. He saw these on a recent visit and was really taken back by the quality. We always bought Sears brand Duralast soled boots with moc toes, and the leather and finish quality of these is so much nicer. Huge plus for being American sourced and made. He said they reminded him of what the Sears boots used to be like before they went cheap and offshored the production.

Took about a week to break in. There will be some heel slippage and maybe a hot spot or pinch here or there, but as you wear them the leather will learn your feet and break in just right. Now they are the most comfortable boot I own.

I followed a lot of guys suggestions and ordered 1/2 size under my running shoe size. Fit is spot on.

So in summary, these are well worth spending your hard earned money on, especially if your money is earned by being on your feet all day. Give them a week and you won't want to wear any other boot!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great boot, February 5, 2013
I have always wanted to get a pair of classic Redwing boots but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a pair of boots. I've been searching and when I found these on line I was a bit skeptical. But because of great reviews and a good return policy on Amazon I thought I would try them out. I love what I got. They're really comfortable with great heel and toe reinforcement. The leather is great and its all triple stitched. Plus its completely American, what else could you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars I like them alot, November 25, 2012
These boots are so nice, I got them in tobacco gladiator and once I applied the mink oil they were ready for Canadian winter. In regards to size I went half a size down, I wear 10 in most adidas and Nike sneakers so 9.5 were a perfect size in these boots for me. My air force ones are 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorogood American Heritage 6" moc toe boot, March 18, 2011
I`m a Brit who likes quality US footwear. I`ve always gone for Danner in the past & then I saw these boots. After some research,confusion & advice about the size.I`m a UK size 9.5,2 pairs of Danner US size 10 were good the third pair US size 10 were .5 a size too small so I was advised to go for size 10.5 in Thorogood.I ordered them to be delivered on a recent vacation to the US,they were delivered on time as promised & the quality is superb as expected but they are .5 a size too big,however,I`m not complaining,better too big than too small,I put in another pair of insoles & wear thicker socks & they`re very comfortable.I`ll just order a size smaller next time. They`re an excellent pair of boots,I wouldn`t hesitate to buy another pair or recommend them.I don`t agree with the other review about hard soles,even without extra insoles or thick socks they were still comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, May 13, 2014
I usually wear a 11.5 in vans and nike free. Last year I bought this same pair in 10.5 and it was too big. A year later after wearing the 10.5 at work I bought the size 10 the size 10 fits perfect!!!! Soooo extremely satisfied with these boots. Extremely comfortable while working construction. They look amazing too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boot, May 7, 2014
Great Boot. Excellent quality and fit as expected. I would recommend this boot for anyone looking for a quality work boot and a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boot, May 7, 2014
This is a great, basic, down to earth boot. Leather and an excellent sole, what more is there to ask for? Fit was perfect. Delivery was as always excellent. Cannot see the reason to pay the extra money for similar boots from other manufacturers. Like the idea the company is employee owned and is MADE IN AMERICA!! Thanks, will be purchasing more Thorogood products in the future.

Rate and Discover Movies