Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on November 28, 2010
I've always been a sucker for the classic Red Wing 1907 Moc Toe Boot. To be honest, I don't even need these boots--I have a sedentary job and I keep a pair of Vasque Sundowner hiking boots for hiking, which double nicely as work boots around the yard. But still, every time I would see a pair of those Red Wings, with all that gorgeous full-grain, triple-stitched, made-in-the-USA leather goodness, I would purpose in my heart to have a pair of my very own. Typically, I would get as far as typing in my credit card info before guilty feelings over the $240 price tag would cause me to reluctantly remove the 1907s from my cart and go sulk in front of the TV.

This time however, while searching for the Red Wings, I came across Thorogood Men's American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot. Welt construction? Check. Triple-stitched, full-grain leather? Check. Made in the good old USA? Check. That classic white sole? Check. My heart leapt when I saw the $120 price. Was it possible? Although the Thorogoods in the Tobacco Gladiator color certainly looked as handsome as the Red Wings in the pictures, a nagging doubt entered my mind. Surely they would break my heart by being the same odd orange color one sees on the Chinese knockoffs. Or they would be poorly sewn. Or fit badly. Nevertheless, driven by desperation and buoyed by Amazon's liberal return policies and the thought of saving $120 dollars, I pulled the trigger.

When the boots arrived, I couldn't have been more pleased. My wife swears that she saw a single tear of joy roll down my cheek when I opened the box and gazed upon them for the first time. The fit is fantastic, the quality superb and the price amazing. I was surprised that they aren't as clunky as my hiking boots and they're very well cushioned. And the leather...well, it's just beautiful.

Highly recommended!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 24, 2014
Like many of you, I was agonizing over the purchase of my first pair of Red Wing boots until I stumbled across these Thorogood Moc Toe Boots. I spent time in a Red Wing store trying on multiple pairs of their different styles and loved most of them. But, I just couldn't pay the price. Don't get me wrong, I actually think they are worth it. But I "shouldn't" afford them.

So on to find something similar. Not only are these Thorogood's similar, they are nearly identical and a stunning value.

The initial fit is a little different than RW. I have some minor heel slippage on day one. Sounds like that is a good thing and will disappear as they break in.

The quality of the leather and stitching is wonderful. Softer than the RW's but no less thick and substantial. I have no worries about these lasting. The wedge soles are indeed a Thorogood product and they feel great.

I like the subtle ways the Red Wing's look in comparison, but not twice the price worth! However, that little "Made in the USA" tag has got to go.

I ordered 2 sizes since there is no half size between 12 and 13. They certainly run large. You really have to order a 1/2 or full size down. Especially if you are on the fence between two sizes. The 12's will likely break into a perfect fit for me. I'll update this review as they do so.
on July 30, 2012
This really is the best balance between toughness and comfort out there. (Including Red Wings.) As a carpenter, I've worn these boots doing finish and in the elements working on a concrete crew.

I feel the need to clarify a point about the soles not being Vibram brand. This boot came with the Vibram wedge sole for years but I know a lot of people (myself included) who called the company and complained about the fact that the soles would wear out too quickly. I would literally re-sole these things two or three times before I was ready to get rid of the boot. The Thorogood brand sole is an attempt at making a longer lasting sole with the comfort of the wedge. I believe the new sole will be an upgrade on an already killer pair of boots.

The other thing to consider here is that these are an excellent value. These things are top quality, USA and union made and half the price of the Red Wings. In fact I own a couple different styles of Thorogood boots and would highly recommend them all.
on November 27, 2012
I really wanted the Red Wing style identical to this boot, but the price tag made me hesitant after mixed reviews. My line of work has taught me that you get what you pay for when it comes to work boots and I have been consistently unimpressed with Red Wings, so I took a gamble on these, and I can truly say that these are the best money I've spent yet on boots.

Right out of the box they were completely comfortable, almost no break in time whatsoever(maybe a total of a few hours, contrary to the Red Wings which can take several days to weeks). Leather was soft and supple, but supportive. The fit was spot on (13 standard), I usually wear a 12 Wide or 13 standard in USA made boots. The wedge sole is extremely comfortable and I can literally wear them from morning to night in various conditions and never have any foot fatigue. This is something I had yet to experience in work boots. I have beaten these things to death, but with regular cleaning and mink oil treatments, they still look almost new. I will resole these boots until there is nothing left, and only then will I replace them with these exact boots.

I recommend these to any of my friends and co-workers who are looking for tough, comfortable work boots that look great and perform just as well.
on February 5, 2013
I have always wanted to get a pair of classic Redwing boots but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a pair of boots. I've been searching and when I found these on line I was a bit skeptical. But because of great reviews and a good return policy on Amazon I thought I would try them out. I love what I got. They're really comfortable with great heel and toe reinforcement. The leather is great and its all triple stitched. Plus its completely American, what else could you ask for?
on December 31, 2014
Great boots,colour Tobacco is just like on the picture.Buy half size smaller than you wear normally and you will be fine.Highly reccomend those boots because quality screams when you open box :) They look much better when you wear them than on your hands,so please dont be shocked :)
review image
on April 27, 2014
I didn't know what to expect with these. I looked at the Duluth Trading contractor boots in their catalogs for some time and almost pulled the trigger on a pair from them before I ran across a thread online naming the manufacturer as the same folks who build Thorogood boots. On amazon the price was a great deal, and I bad some gift certificate money from work, so I said what the heck.

I'm so glad I did. These boots are just like my dad wears, a union construction worker my whole life. He always swears by the wedge sole as the perfect sole for being on your feet moving around all day. It also adds a lot of stability when you have to walk across that 6 inch top plate to get ready to set the next truss.

My dad hung up his tool belt and finally retired, but he still putts around the house doing his hobbies in his work boots. He saw these on a recent visit and was really taken back by the quality. We always bought Sears brand Duralast soled boots with moc toes, and the leather and finish quality of these is so much nicer. Huge plus for being American sourced and made. He said they reminded him of what the Sears boots used to be like before they went cheap and offshored the production.

Took about a week to break in. There will be some heel slippage and maybe a hot spot or pinch here or there, but as you wear them the leather will learn your feet and break in just right. Now they are the most comfortable boot I own.

I followed a lot of guys suggestions and ordered 1/2 size under my running shoe size. Fit is spot on.

So in summary, these are well worth spending your hard earned money on, especially if your money is earned by being on your feet all day. Give them a week and you won't want to wear any other boot!
on March 31, 2014
Really love these boots. I considered RedWings for twice the price, but actually like the look of these better. This was my first work boot purchase and I wasnt exactly sure what to expect. These have blown me away. I tried a couple sizes on locally at my local boot store, but they didn't have the size I wanted so I went to Amazon. I got a few duplicate pairs in the size i settled on and picked the combo that looked and felt the best. All 3 pairs I ordered were pretty consistent in color and quality of built (stitching, binding, look/feel of leather). I opted for a pair that was a hair lighter shade of the 3 that i bought....but again all 3 pairs were very close in color and leather tanning.

Free Returns/Shipping was awesome on this product since I knew I wanted to buy multiples and return the ones I didnt want.

As far as sizing....I sized down 1/2 size as recommended by others on various forums and comments. They were definitely a bit tight the first week or so, but have broken in very nicely and fit great. I'd buy the same size again in the future. I love these boots, I work on my feel all day (light manufacturing) 5 days a week on plywood flooring and very soon to be concrete flooring. The thick wedge sole of these boots keep my feet feeling great all day and all week.

I'd definitely buy these again and not even consider the more expensive RedWings. these were a winner for me sized 1/2 size down.
on April 4, 2015
They fit a little tighter in width at the ball of the foot than the Red Wing version. They are lighter than the Red Wing version and are very nice overall. The leather is great and the hightop goes higher above the ankle than the Red Wing version. Almost half the price of the Red Wings and just as good or better. It took two days to break them in. The only thing about these that I would like to change is that they use eyelets all the way to the top instead of the hooks. Those are my old tired Red Wings as a comparison.
review image review image review image
on April 19, 2014
I bought 2 pairs of these boots - one pair for myself and one pair for my dad. After about a month of wear, my right boot developed at loud squeak everytime i walked. I contacted Amazon, but I was past the return period and only got a partial refund. I contacted Thorogood directly and the told me that they would take a look at the boots. I shipped my boots to them on my expense and 4 weeks later, I got a new pair from them. It was a different color, but not a big deal. The boots they sent me had stitching problems, as well as the leather seemed to be different on the left vs right boot. The right boot had a rough inside, and the left boot had a smooth one. I didn't think much of it, but after a few days of wearing them, the difference is very noticable. The smooth leather inside wears much better over time. The right boot looks like its several years old now. I wouldn't be upset if both boots were made out of the same leather, but it is very distracting to see one boot look almost like new while the other one looks so wrinkled and beat up. Oh and the tongue sizing was different between the two. Whoever did the stitching did not make it the same size or stitch it to the same angle. Also the moc to is stitched to a different shape on the left vs right boot. My dad's pair didn't do so well either. After a few months of casual wear, the seam on the side started to unravel. I am so frustrated with these and am thinking of donating them to Goodwill after I am able to afford another pair. It is a shame that I had so many issues with these, because they would be nice if quality was consistent. Even though I like some of their other designs, I will never buy another pair of Thorogood boots again. My mother is a union worker and she gets a yearly allowance to buys shoes. I have convinced her not to buy anymore Thorogoods as well and will continue to spread the word on the shotty quality. In my opinion, if a customer sends a product back because of a manufacturer issue, the manufacturer needs to replace it with a first quality product, not what seems to factory seconds.