5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Quality & Style
Published on November 28, 2010 by OhioGardener

2.0 out of 5 stars Inconsistent quality!
I bought 2 pairs of these boots - one pair for myself and one pair for my dad. After about a month of wear, my right boot developed at loud squeak everytime i walked. I contacted Amazon, but I was past the return period and only got a partial refund. I contacted Thorogood directly and the told me that they would take a look at the boots. I shipped my boots to them on my...
Published 9 months ago by oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Quality & Style, November 28, 2010
This review is from: Thorogood Men's 814-4200 American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot (Apparel)
I've always been a sucker for the classic Red Wing 1907 Moc Toe Boot. To be honest, I don't even need these boots--I have a sedentary job and I keep a pair of Vasque Sundowner hiking boots for hiking, which double nicely as work boots around the yard. But still, every time I would see a pair of those Red Wings, with all that gorgeous full-grain, triple-stitched, made-in-the-USA leather goodness, I would purpose in my heart to have a pair of my very own. Typically, I would get as far as typing in my credit card info before guilty feelings over the $240 price tag would cause me to reluctantly remove the 1907s from my cart and go sulk in front of the TV.

This time however, while searching for the Red Wings, I came across Thorogood Men's American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot. Welt construction? Check. Triple-stitched, full-grain leather? Check. Made in the good old USA? Check. That classic white sole? Check. My heart leapt when I saw the $120 price. Was it possible? Although the Thorogoods in the Tobacco Gladiator color certainly looked as handsome as the Red Wings in the pictures, a nagging doubt entered my mind. Surely they would break my heart by being the same odd orange color one sees on the Chinese knockoffs. Or they would be poorly sewn. Or fit badly. Nevertheless, driven by desperation and buoyed by Amazon's liberal return policies and the thought of saving $120 dollars, I pulled the trigger.

When the boots arrived, I couldn't have been more pleased. My wife swears that she saw a single tear of joy roll down my cheek when I opened the box and gazed upon them for the first time. The fit is fantastic, the quality superb and the price amazing. I was surprised that they aren't as clunky as my hiking boots and they're very well cushioned. And the leather...well, it's just beautiful.

Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Red Wing Killers!, February 24, 2014
Scott E. Madison (Saint Anthony, MN United States) - See all my reviews
Like many of you, I was agonizing over the purchase of my first pair of Red Wing boots until I stumbled across these Thorogood Moc Toe Boots. I spent time in a Red Wing store trying on multiple pairs of their different styles and loved most of them. But, I just couldn't pay the price. Don't get me wrong, I actually think they are worth it. But I "shouldn't" afford them.

So on to find something similar. Not only are these Thorogood's similar, they are nearly identical and a stunning value.

The initial fit is a little different than RW. I have some minor heel slippage on day one. Sounds like that is a good thing and will disappear as they break in.

The quality of the leather and stitching is wonderful. Softer than the RW's but no less thick and substantial. I have no worries about these lasting. The wedge soles are indeed a Thorogood product and they feel great.

I like the subtle ways the Red Wing's look in comparison, but not twice the price worth! However, that little "Made in the USA" tag has got to go.

I ordered 2 sizes since there is no half size between 12 and 13. They certainly run large. You really have to order a 1/2 or full size down. Especially if you are on the fence between two sizes. The 12's will likely break into a perfect fit for me. I'll update this review as they do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorogood is top quality, July 30, 2012
This really is the best balance between toughness and comfort out there. (Including Red Wings.) As a carpenter, I've worn these boots doing finish and in the elements working on a concrete crew.

I feel the need to clarify a point about the soles not being Vibram brand. This boot came with the Vibram wedge sole for years but I know a lot of people (myself included) who called the company and complained about the fact that the soles would wear out too quickly. I would literally re-sole these things two or three times before I was ready to get rid of the boot. The Thorogood brand sole is an attempt at making a longer lasting sole with the comfort of the wedge. I believe the new sole will be an upgrade on an already killer pair of boots.

The other thing to consider here is that these are an excellent value. These things are top quality, USA and union made and half the price of the Red Wings. In fact I own a couple different styles of Thorogood boots and would highly recommend them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic boots, November 27, 2012
Derek M. (Newport News, VA) - See all my reviews
I really wanted the Red Wing style identical to this boot, but the price tag made me hesitant after mixed reviews. My line of work has taught me that you get what you pay for when it comes to work boots and I have been consistently unimpressed with Red Wings, so I took a gamble on these, and I can truly say that these are the best money I've spent yet on boots.

Right out of the box they were completely comfortable, almost no break in time whatsoever(maybe a total of a few hours, contrary to the Red Wings which can take several days to weeks). Leather was soft and supple, but supportive. The fit was spot on (13 standard), I usually wear a 12 Wide or 13 standard in USA made boots. The wedge sole is extremely comfortable and I can literally wear them from morning to night in various conditions and never have any foot fatigue. This is something I had yet to experience in work boots. I have beaten these things to death, but with regular cleaning and mink oil treatments, they still look almost new. I will resole these boots until there is nothing left, and only then will I replace them with these exact boots.

I recommend these to any of my friends and co-workers who are looking for tough, comfortable work boots that look great and perform just as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really nice boots, April 27, 2014
I didn't know what to expect with these. I looked at the Duluth Trading contractor boots in their catalogs for some time and almost pulled the trigger on a pair from them before I ran across a thread online naming the manufacturer as the same folks who build Thorogood boots. On amazon the price was a great deal, and I bad some gift certificate money from work, so I said what the heck.

I'm so glad I did. These boots are just like my dad wears, a union construction worker my whole life. He always swears by the wedge sole as the perfect sole for being on your feet moving around all day. It also adds a lot of stability when you have to walk across that 6 inch top plate to get ready to set the next truss.

My dad hung up his tool belt and finally retired, but he still putts around the house doing his hobbies in his work boots. He saw these on a recent visit and was really taken back by the quality. We always bought Sears brand Duralast soled boots with moc toes, and the leather and finish quality of these is so much nicer. Huge plus for being American sourced and made. He said they reminded him of what the Sears boots used to be like before they went cheap and offshored the production.

Took about a week to break in. There will be some heel slippage and maybe a hot spot or pinch here or there, but as you wear them the leather will learn your feet and break in just right. Now they are the most comfortable boot I own.

I followed a lot of guys suggestions and ordered 1/2 size under my running shoe size. Fit is spot on.

So in summary, these are well worth spending your hard earned money on, especially if your money is earned by being on your feet all day. Give them a week and you won't want to wear any other boot!

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great boot, February 5, 2013
I have always wanted to get a pair of classic Redwing boots but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a pair of boots. I've been searching and when I found these on line I was a bit skeptical. But because of great reviews and a good return policy on Amazon I thought I would try them out. I love what I got. They're really comfortable with great heel and toe reinforcement. The leather is great and its all triple stitched. Plus its completely American, what else could you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars I like them alot, November 25, 2012
These boots are so nice, I got them in tobacco gladiator and once I applied the mink oil they were ready for Canadian winter. In regards to size I went half a size down, I wear 10 in most adidas and Nike sneakers so 9.5 were a perfect size in these boots for me. My air force ones are 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boot, May 7, 2014
This is a great, basic, down to earth boot. Leather and an excellent sole, what more is there to ask for? Fit was perfect. Delivery was as always excellent. Cannot see the reason to pay the extra money for similar boots from other manufacturers. Like the idea the company is employee owned and is MADE IN AMERICA!! Thanks, will be purchasing more Thorogood products in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and well-worth the purchase, January 16, 2013
I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon and this is the first thing I've purchased that I've liked enough to inspire a review. I have been wanting a good pair of workboots for a while (more for style, not for a worksite - I'm a web developer) and always had it in my mind to get a good pair of Red Wings...until I saw the Red Wing price tag. These Thorogood boots came up as a recommendation so I decided to check them out. I read the reviews, looked at all the pictures, etc., and at the end of the day decided to order a pair. I got a great deal with the 20% off special so I paid right around $110 total. I normally wear a size 12 and decided to order these in 11.5 based on reviews. Two days later these boots showed up at my door and I quickly had them on my feet and was wearing them around the house. For some reason the right boot fit perfectly and the left boot was a little tight around the toes (not in length, just in width a bit). However, after a few days these boots fit perfectly. I've been wearing them for about a month now and am 100% satisfied. Best pair of footwear that I've EVER owned. I would definitely buy these again, and you cannot beat the price especially for something American-made and incredibly well-crafted.

5.0 out of 5 stars REAL vintage American quality!, December 10, 2013
Rarely do I rush out to go write a review, I must say, I am one to express my dissatisfaction more often than not. I read the reviews on this shoe and I must say, I had some high expectations. The reviews make this shoe sound as if they walk on water. Being a true believer of Amazon reviews, I went with it.
While trying to be pro "buy American", over the years I have grown to be somewhat skeptical. I mean, lets be honest, we hear so much about "buy American" from all of the American companies, especially the car manufacturers, but we are either sold something not truly 100% American made, or because of the price point, sub quality.
These shoes are truly Vintage, high quality American made shoes. When I opened the box, immediately my attention was drawn to the top quality American tanned leather, not the cheap scraps on even some of the Chinese made shoes. I would equate the leather quality to that of a Coach quality. The stitching is the quality of a shoe you might find made in a by-gone century. EVERYTHING about this shoe is impressive. Thorogood has NAILED it. I am so happy with these shoes, I want to sleep in them!! The quality could go toe to toe with any $200 or $300 shoe. Thorogood, you have given me just that much MORE faith in good 'ol U.S.A.!!!!! If you havn't bought them yet, don't waste any more time!!!!

Thorogood Men's 814-4200 American Heritage 6" Moc Toe Boot