Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on November 9, 2010
Being first to review a product is tough, but somebody's got to do it, and I'm glad to. Firstly, I want the reader to know that I am just a retired mechanical engineer and inveterate do-it-yourselfer, not a construction or factory worker, so it will take me months to put the wear on these beauties that one of those guys do in a week or two. I do, however, know how to recognize quality. When I have worked in them enough, I plan to append my review, but I hope you won't wait to try them out.

I award the first star for Amazon's price and on-time (actually ahead of time) delivery.

The second star is for fit and being true to size. I have always thought I was a size 10-1/2 C, but I downloaded a sizing pattern which showed me to be a D width, and the boots are spot-on.

The third star is for quality materials and construction. Even though I put very few miles on a work boot per year, these are my second pair in three years. Wearing my last pair at a "Rebuilding Together" work day in April, I was able to do a step-slap-step-slap performance since one of the soles had totally delaminated. I later determined that the other sole appeared to be starting the same thing and I was able to pull it off by hand. Note the stitching around the entire sole of this boot, plus the Goodyear welt which allows the boot to be rebuilt if desired. The full-grain leather looks and feels great, and the stitching is excellent. Quality.

The fourth star is the absolute, hands down, big reason I purchased these boots: Made In The USA! If you work for a living -- doing anything, there is no reason to not purchase Made In The USA whenever it is possible. If we don't all protect our jobs, there will be no jobs except service jobs repairing the crap made in China.

The fifth star is for value and price. These boots are about double the price of similar Made in China stuff, but for all the reasons listed above, they represent true value especially in comparison to the $250 price tag on similar product.

I don't think you'll regret the purchase of Weinbrenner Thorogood boots.
on July 23, 2014
I use to wear Redwing Logger's when they were still made in the USA. That was 20 years ago, I was a Lineman at that time. They were hell to break in but once you overcame that obsticle, they would last me 5 years. I wore them for everything and used them hard. Times have changed. I stopped buying Red Wings about the time they were outsoursed to China. Please understand I know Red Wings USA are still made in Minnesota but they cost upwards of $250 and you still have to break them in. Over the years I have tried Rockies, Red Wing, Carolina, Iron Age, Carhardt and several more I can't recall all of them. NONE hold a candle to these boots. Any pair of work boots I had in the past20 years only lasted 1 year Max. These are comfortable right out of the box, great laces which is the first place other name brands cut corners. These work boots are the real deal. Pay the extra and give your feet a break. I have had several foot surgeries so my feet are kind of hard to please. These boots are better than expected.
on August 30, 2015
I've only worn these for a few days so right now I'm only speaking about initial thoughts, mainly sizing.

In Red Wing boots I wear a size 9, double wide. I decide to go with the same size to start off and it was too long. So I returned it for a 8.5 2E. We're almost there, but now it's way too narrow, but the length was perfect. I tried one more time, this time going for the same length but something wider. Nailed it! 8.5 3E (triple wide!) and it fits perfect. Keep this in mind if you have wide feet.

So far I love the boot. Very comfortable and flexible straight out of the box. Premium feel and soft leather. I work on the waterfront, hard concrete, steel grating (trains and ships). My shoes take a beating. I'm looking forward to getting some good use out of them. I'll come back in a few months with a longer term review.
on November 15, 2012
I'm a tankerman on ships worldwide and spend 12hrs a day (more like 14 by days end) working on steel decks; vibrations, oil, ladders are no problem for these boots. The sole is perfectly padded to save your knees and will bend well despite it's stiff look. The traction is perfect to. I've gone through 3 pairs and cannot seem to wear out the leather because its so think the boot never falls apart like others that seem to loose ankle support after 6 months. Also buy American.

[est HARD WORKING LIFE 300 DAYS 12 HRS A DAY HEAVY INDUSTRY = 3600 HOURS OR ABOUT 2-3 YEARS OF NON HEAVY INDUSTRY WORK. OTHER BOOTS LASTED ME HALF THIS OR LESS BEFORE SEEMS AND SOLES WERE SHOT.]

*GET BOOT DRESSING TO KEEP A BETTER WATER RESISTANCE, ESPECIALLY AROUND THE SEAMS GLOP IT ON, NOT RAIN BOOTS THESE BREATHE
on October 11, 2014
I wear a 9 EE (wide), I ordered a 9 EE and it fits very good.
I have worn them 4 week now at the time of this review. I work at a coal burning Power Plant in Texas and on my feet for 10 plus hours and walk around 5 miles on average at work.

Negative:

1) The boots are a bit slick even though they are slip and oil resistant. The middle of the sole has a flat tread design which might have been better if it was the same tread as the edges of the sole. Not slippery by any means but not 5 stars.
2) Steel toe cap could use a little more room and a thicker lining on the inside of the cap for comfort. You will need thicker socks to guard against steel toe rubbing against your toes.
3) Insole the boot comes with isn't anything special. I replaced it pretty quick.
4) Minor issues with fit at first but once boot leather broken in they now fit great.

Positive:

1) Very Comfortable Boots. I had them delivered about 6 pm. Opened the box, laced them up, and wore them the rest of the day. Next day I wore them to work for a 10 hour shift. My feet were a little tired when I got home and next day a bit sore. I expected this as they are new boots, but my feet felt better then they did wearing my Timberland's or Georgia's. 2nd day at work these boot felt even better and I figure these boots should only take a week to break them in fully. I fully expect these to be the most comfortable longest lasting boot I have owned.

***4 week update*** The boots took about 7-10 days to break in and feel great. No major break in issues.

2) Nice sturdy supple leather. This is real cow hide - thick, not stiff, and should last a very long time.

3) Nice lining... a bit thin but for some reason the lining is even thinner around the steel toe which you can feel edges against your toes. I solved this with some thicker socks made for steel toe boots. Now can hardly notice the steel toe.
4) The Dual Density outer sole is fantastic. It provides the perfect combination of comfort and support. Best I've experienced.
5) Best laces ever. The laces feel like textured parachute cord. They lace tight and stay put. I feel they will last as long as the boots themselves.

Overall, these boots are every bit of the 4 stars I rated them and only a few minor issues from a 5 star Boot. If these boots last as long as I expect 2-3 years (very heavy use) and stay as comfortable as they are today then I will order a new pair and bump up my rating to 5 stars. Only time will tell.
on November 11, 2015
Best pair of work boots I've ever owned which includes Red Wings, Wolverine, Bates, Danner, Georgia, Caterpillar, & Timberland. Extremely comfortable, and no break-in required. My AFOs fit well in them too.
review image
on October 16, 2011
I'm a 30+ year union electrician working in construction, and tough job site conditions require a solid pair of protective sure grip boots.
I just received my new boots and have to say that the quality appears to be outstanding. I have been wearing Red Wings for decades but decided not to continue due to a tighter budget and Plantar Fac. diagnosis. I could not take the break in necessary without being crippled.
These are more comfortable out of the box than my 2.5 year old Red wings ever were. Rock solid stability and great comfort features. Electrical rated and steel toe protection.
A great looking pair, Made In The USA by Union craftsman,
at less than half the price of Red Wings.

Barring problems down the road, I am from now on a Thorogood man.

union Yes!
on March 20, 2016
I wasted my money on these boots because I can't wear them. There doesn't seem to be any support between the heal and the sole. With my heavy weight (266) the part of the boot that is just forward of the heal drops off making it very uncomfortable to wear all day in a machine shop. The forward edge of the heal makes it feel like I'm standing on the rung of a ladder all day. By the end of an 8 hour shift I was in so much pain, I was almost in tears. I am now wearing my old boots to work until I can find something better.
on December 17, 2011
these are the same as a model of work-one boots that i own. same company.
in the last few years red wings have started importing some of their boots and my co-workers and i have looked for an american boot company to replace them.
here they are!
the guys i work with (we are steamfitters) and i have been wearing work-one and thorogoods (same company) for about 5 years now and they are lighter and they last longer and the quality seems to be higher than redwings.
these are very, very good boots. it is hard to impress me, but i am very impressed with this company and if they continue to supply us with these kind of products, we will be glad to wear them.
i did find that they run about 1/2 size bigger than redwings.
on August 3, 2015
I purchased in 8.5 EEE. I have been required to wear steel toe boots at work for the past 12 years. These are by far, the most simply and durably built boot I have ever worn. They have that old fashion toughness to them that I haven't seen in years. I would originally wear a size 9 going down a half size was a perfect fit after about 40 hrs break in time. If you know boots you also know good boots have to be broken in.