5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative to "Pink" Books!
Published on June 8, 2009 by JBS

3.0 out of 5 stars A Comedy of Errors
Published 20 months ago by Barbara Ann Mojica

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative to "Pink" Books!, June 8, 2009
This review is from: Those Darn Squirrels! (Hardcover)
My 5-year-old daughter loves all that is good and pink and purple, but we do need some variety every now and then. This book is great fun! We totally relate to Old Man Fookwire's frustrations and laugh at the squirrels' crazy plans. (We're certain there are similar plans being drafted by those darn squirrels in our own backyard!) I would think all ages would enjoy this clever story.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is the best!, June 2, 2011
Someone who knows the author once gave me the first book as a gift. Like all kids, my son picks the same 3 books ever single F'ing night and it makes me want to kill myself.
Finally, I encouraged him (just to not have to read goodnight moon again) to give the book a try.

I don't know if it's because I loved reading it out loud, or because he loves it, but between the illustrations and the cute/fun writing, this book has become the replacement for "Goodnight Moon", and I couldn't be happier.

This book has that rare quality that lets the parent have a good time while reading a book to their child. When we read this, I can do all the voices, and i get a few little adult-type jokes that my son doesn't get yet.

All in all, five stars, reminds me of the kind of books we used to get when we were kids!

BUY IT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing Proboscis, December 8, 2012
This review is from: Those Darn Squirrels! (Hardcover)
But for the disturbing nose of old man Fookwire this is an enjoyable book.

However, we must deal with this distressing schnozola in no less that ten images throughout the book. It is very long, very red, and very pointy.

Fookwire is a lonely and unhappy man whose only joy in life is the backyard birds. These he loves dearly, and he spends his time painting pictures of them. Otherwise, there's not much to endear him to anyone - he hates puppies, pie, and presumably many other things.

But is it necessary to portray him with this most disgusting snout?

Otherwise, the illustrations by Daniel Salmieri are absolutely delightful. The squirrels who disturb the peace and harmony of Fookwire's yard are a particular joy. Each one has an industrious and expressive face as it goes about plotting madcap raids on the old man's bird feeders.

The birds too are a pleasure to behold. They come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. No wonder Fookwire never tires of painting them...

The accompanying text is also memorable. For example, a description of the capabilities of squirrels: " Not many people know this, but squirrels are the cleverest of all woodland creatures. In fact, they're fuzzy little geniuses! They can make a house out of a tree, a bed out of a bunch of leaves, and a box kite out of twigs, dirt and squirrel spit". Is the box kite a bit over the top? Perhaps, but we also learn that "They are also excellent at math".

Author Adam Rubin tells a funny tale of bad guys who are really good guys, forgiveness, resourcefulness, and happy endings all around.

There's just one problem.

The nose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun!, April 2, 2009
This review is from: Those Darn Squirrels! (Hardcover)
We have a birdfeeder in our back yard that squirrels feed out of. My daughter always yells at them. I'm not a grumpy old man but there is a definite parallel. Just like the grumpy old man, I try various ways to stop the squirrels without prevail. After reading the book my daughter and I shake our fists from the other side of the window and get a good laugh.

I like books like this that we can relate to in our daily lives and it does in a fun way. I like the illustrations too, a bit cartoony and very stylish. I think anyone with a birdfeeder probably could relate, and even without a birdfeeder, it's a fun book to read to kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Follow-Up to the First TDS, May 9, 2011
I just received my copy in the mail and I have already read it three times. It is definitely one of those books that is as entertaining for the adults as it is for the children. Take a close look at the illustrations, the attention to detail is amazing (for example, Old Man Fookwire, the loner protagonist, is reading what looks like "Catcher in the Rye" in the beginning.) Highly recommended for children of all ages, and all children at heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, December 4, 2012
This review is from: Those Darn Squirrels! (Paperback)
I am a teacher and my kids loved this book. They laughed and they barely moved as I read the book to them. A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT sequel!, April 19, 2011
My extended family became obsessed with Rubin's first book "Those Darn Squirrels" and everyone bought it from my sister to my dad to my mom for my nephew...
Often sequels are boring. Not this one. It still bring the quirky sense of humor of the first book, the kid-friendly drawings. It's a fun read that is enjoyable for adults and for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, November 12, 2012
This review is from: Those Darn Squirrels! (Paperback)
Cleverly written tale with a lovely moral twist. Very funny too! Not easy to find good children's literature these days, but this story is certainly worth a read to your kids.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Comedy of Errors, April 9, 2013
Barbara Ann Mojica (Craryville, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
Those Darn Squirrels might resonate with many adults who have had problems with these clever and persistent creatures. Rubin and his ilustrator Salmieri portray their human character Old Man Fookwire as a grumpy, skinny old man who never smiles. He even hates pies and puppies! Fookwire's only pleasure is painting birds, and he is saddened every autumn when they fly south for the winter. He places all sorts of colorful bird feeders around his home to attract them. Fookwire is disheartened when the squirrels steal their seeds and berries. So Fookwire goes to the hardware store to concoct an elaborate contraption to frustrate the squirrels and entice the birds to remain. At first he is unsuccessful. Will he defeat the squirrels and succeed in keeping his birds at home? The characters in the story will teach the reader lessons while amusing them in the process. The humor is a bit off beat; children from ages four through seven will be attracted to it. The colorful illustrations are well drawn, but the art is cartoonish and stylized. I did find the text in the kindle version very small and difficult to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooo funny, December 10, 2012
This review is from: Those Darn Squirrels! (Hardcover)
I love this book & so does my 4 year old. It's hilarious. I like that the old dude turns out to not be too bad.

Those Darn Squirrels!
Those Darn Squirrels! by Adam Rubin (Paperback - September 6, 2011)
$6.99 $3.94