Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2008 1:50:32 PM PDT
Mark says:
I'm considering getting this after seeing a pic of it on the Playstation Blog. It looks functional and nice for anyone that doesn't want to buy a wireless keyboard for their PS3.

What does everyone else think?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2008 3:08:40 PM PDT
Woody says:
I wouldn't use it enough to justify the price. I just rarely use the internet browser to look up youtube videos every now and then. It would mostly sit in my couch storage unit and collect dust. If I had a need for it, however, then I would seriously consider getting it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2008 7:53:30 PM PDT
Mike Zupan says:
I want it, but $50 is insanely overpriced. The Xbox 360 keypad is $24.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2008 9:32:37 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
Lol if you want to mention insanely overpriced items, start with the 360 WiFi adapter, the 360 Hard Drives, the $50 a year privilege of online gaming and many more M$ beauties.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 3:28:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2008 7:21:25 AM PDT
Mike Zupan says:
This thread isn't about those items. All I was saying is that this particular item is priced too high.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 9:11:20 PM PDT
I don't think the keypad will stay at $50. It's probably just a place holder (I hope). On the other hand, look at Mad Catz crappy thumbpad. They're selling that piece of garbage for $30.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2008 9:50:12 PM PDT
Mr Mister says:
im still debating between a blu-tooth keyboard... and this now...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2008 7:36:56 AM PDT
Powie says:
Well I think it's over priced, and would be in an odd position to actually use.

Since I rarely type much on the PS3 I'll stick with my BT Keyboard. I can whip out the keyboard from under the coffee table, type what I need and put it back.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2008 9:43:56 AM PDT
B. McBeth says:
I think it'll come in handy. During some games I want to type a quick message. So I'll probably be getting it for that usage. That and internet usage, type in a quick link on youtube, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2008 10:04:04 PM PDT
Jillako says:
It looks useful but unfortunately overpriced by at least $20. As someone else mentioned, the well-reviewed XBox 360 Chatpad sells for under $25 and it includes a wired headset to boot.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2008 9:03:27 PM PDT
Mark says:
I would jump all over this faster if, like many people have said, it were 20 dollars cheaper at the very least.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008 4:15:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2008 4:16:46 PM PDT
I've got the MadCatz thumbpad, and it works fantastically at half the price (although I think it was $35 when I got it). I can't see any advantage to getting the official PS3 one unless you don't want to use the USB dongle. Both are still awkward to use, I imagine, compared to the XBox one, which is more intuitively located below the main buttons, like a blackberry. But since I'm a PS3 guy rather than an XBox guy, I'll never know.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2008 10:47:49 AM PDT
D. Ulibarri says:
Im thinking about picking one up, but not neccessarily for my ps3 (though I would use it for that, too). Id like to use it as a bluetooth keyboard for other devices like my phone and my bluetooth and wifi enabled gps. Would this work without being attached to a ps3 controller?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008 7:25:48 PM PDT
Mark says:
Maybe. However, it looks like it's going to dock to the USB female connector. On a good note, it seems as if the price went down by 10 bucks. Let's hope for another ten!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 10:05:44 AM PDT
RexB says:
I'm thinking of getting this too. I have the Logitech Mediaboard Pro Bluetooth keyboard. Although the bluetooth and built-in mouse pad was great i'm not fully satisfied since i still need the game pad to do all the zoom in/out feature. It would have been perfect if they mapped the other buttons (PS button, R1-R3/L1-L3) on the keyboard. I liked the game pads quick zoom in/out (press R3) then R2/L2 to adjust and with the key pad attached to it, this seems like a practical combination.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2008 12:17:48 PM PDT
I have the chat pad for the 360 and use it A LOT! So I think this would definitely by useful (especially because I can't stand console text input interfaces), but it is rather expensive. Also, the fact that it is at the top of the controller instead of the bottom like the 360 one puts me off a little. Seems a bit awkward.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2008 1:53:19 PM PDT
TRAX22 says:
There is another feature for those of u who use it to browse the internet, the Keypad turns into a Touchpad and allows u use it as a mouse as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 6:06:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2008 6:07:52 AM PDT
D. Harvath says:
i'll probably get it to use for littlebigplanet....making text boxes when designing levels and for online chat with others.

i'm sure i'll use it for messaging friends too. using just the controller takes forever and i dont really use the browser on the ps3, so i don't feel like buying a bluetooth or wireless usb keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 1:48:30 AM PDT
John says:
Yep! LBP was the main thought when I searched for this item, as I remember seeing some things about it a while ago, but now actually feel like it would be of some use. It does take quite a while to type out just a small message in LBP, or anything for that matter, with just the controller. Although, as many people have said before me, it is just too expensive for me to justify buying it. For now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2008 7:23:56 PM PST
Mark says:
BOO! The price had dropped to 39.99. Now it's back to 49.99! I won't be buying it anytime soon if the price doesn't lower again. =/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2008 5:54:07 PM PST
T. Wehrmeyer says:
I agree. I was playing LBP last night and after stumbling to type out a message, I wished this was out already.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2008 10:52:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 23, 2008 10:57:03 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2008 6:19:39 AM PST
hoss3000 says:
I'm still going to get it, however I do agree it does appear awkward. I feel like my thumbs may not reach all of the buttons while holding onto the controller. But I do like how it is attached to the controller

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008 2:42:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2008 3:05:08 AM PST
A customer says:
I've had this Keypad for just under a week already. I can't say what I paid for it considering it didn't come from Amazon, but it was lower in cost. To sum it up, it's light, feels sturdy, attaches to your controller (I own only 2 DualShock 3 myself) very snug. One slightly odd thing (well not really, considering it hovers over and infront of your controller) is that it has a bit of a pulling downward & to the front. Chalk it up to physics.. To answer someone else's question I read in a thread about controller skins and does it charge with the PS3 controller, well I have Never used any skin for my PS3 so I cannot answer that, But it charges -read: seperatly from your controller-. It has an on/off toggle switch, light that blinks when charging or on. I have had my PS3 for about 3 months or so now, and this being my 1st console since the SNES, I was totally used to gaming on the PC. Getting used to typing was a bit of a challenge and often quite annoying with just a controller. That is solved quite nicely with this Keypad. YES I know you can add a keyboard, I just never did.. I played with a mouse however.
I like this keypad, it's very easy to use and having it right on your controller makes typing simple. None of this scroll to H, scroll to e, scroll to c, scroll to k to spell Heck. That was a big annoyance to me with going console, as well as mouse control. I did not like having to use a USB mouse while laying the controller down and back again switching, etc. This is solved with this Keypad. Press a button on it and a green light comes on, telling you you are now in scrolling (or mousepad) mode. Just gently glide your fingers across the keys and that is your mousepad. It works amazingly well. Press the green lit key and you are back in Keyboard mode. The switching between each mode is instant and doesn't interfere with your controller that I have noticed. Also there is a green light for the Caps/Tab key indicating that CapLock is on. Besides these options are the 2 side keys, one marked Blue, the other Gold. Printed on the keypad are icons, alt characters etc colored in, you guessed it-blue or gold. I just did a test, turned on Mousepad mode and used the XMB, man is it fast and responsive!!! The faster you move across it, the faster it moves.
For you PS3 collectors/enthusiasts this is a must have, along side with the BR Remote, PS3 Eye and the BT Headset (and well adding a larger HDD, I put in a quick SATA/3 320GB in mine, oh and a Powered 7-port USB Hub because I had just one USB port open after adding a 4 Fan-USB attachment).
I'll agree, the listed price is a bit high..I'm sure it'll drop, I couldn't wait so I pre-ordered mine and got a nice discount. For how long that I've had it, I love it..5 stars.
Enjoy and most of all, have FUN. That's why we buy these toys right?!?

edit: I just read someome commenting on lack of "back-lighting", I can see their point. Playing totally in the dark may hinder your quickness to type, but the glow of your tv and it's painted/stamped keys in white helps along with the little bumps on certain keys to quide you. I type in the dark very often on my all black computer's keyboard with little problem. You wont obviously type on it like you do with a normal KB, but with some practice you'll get used to it I think. Hmm, maybe a 4.5 stars as they could have made them glow in the dark.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2008 11:53:52 AM PST
R. Rosal says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PS3 Wireless Keypad forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Aug 21, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PS3 Wireless Keypad
PS3 Wireless Keypad by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (519)