FREE Shipping on orders over $35.
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Gift-wrap available.
FREE Shipping on orders over $35.
Used: Good | Details
Sold by Dana Park
Condition: Used: Good
Comment: Pages are smooth and clear, with minimal folds or creases. Faint smudging on book edges. Minor page curl. Free of any markings or labels. Minor to moderate surface and edge wear to cover includes rubbing to edges. *** Ships from Amazon! Thanks!
Have one to sell? Sell on Amazon
Flip to back Flip to front
Listen Playing... Paused   You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.
Learn more
See all 2 images

Thread Painting: Simple Techniques to Add Texture and Dimension Paperback – September 26, 2007

See all 2 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
Amazon Price New from Used from
Paperback
"Please retry"
$19.73
$10.25 $5.74

Frequently Bought Together

Thread Painting: Simple Techniques to Add Texture and Dimension + Thread Painting Made Easy + Thread Painting With Style
Price for all three: $61.78

Some of these items ship sooner than the others.

Buy the selected items together

NO_CONTENT_IN_FEATURE

Best Books of the Month
Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.

Product Details

• Paperback: 144 pages
  • Publisher: Krause Publ; First Edition edition (September 26, 2007)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0896894355
  • ISBN-13: 978-0896894358
  • Product Dimensions: 10.9 x 8.5 x 0.3 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 1.3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (22 customer reviews)
  • Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #450,867 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

Editorial Reviews

From the Author

I hope that you will enjoy this easy technique and the many, varied projects included. For any quilt teachers who would like to teach this technique, I would be happy to help you develop a lesson plan for your specific needs.

From the Back Cover

Fabric is your canvas and needles and threads your brushes and paints. Gone are the days of searching endlessly for that "perfect" fabric with the texture and dimension you are looking for. Unleash your artist within and get perfect results every time!

Throughout the pages of Thread Painting, Leni Levenson Wiener shows you a new and easy way to "paint" with thread using inkjet-printable fabric or ready-made fabrics to create artwork you can use with any sewing or quilting project.

In addition to a step-by-step guide to thread painting and sketching you will enjoy: 17 projects you can make using these simple thread painting techniques; tips for getting the right image onto the fabric without losing subtle color changes and small details; advise on bobbins, thread tension, thread selection and stabilizers.

The simple and time-saving techniques make thread painting as easy as painting by numbers or coloring in a coloring book. So add your own innovations and images and make your work uniquely yours!

More About the Author

Leni Levenson Wiener has published four books, Thread Painting, Photo-inspired Art Quilts, 3-Fabric Quilts and the newly released Pictorial Art Quilt Guidebook. Her art quilts are exhibited around the world, and she is a member of the Board of Directors and Chair of Exhibitions for SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates), an international organization of art quilters.

Besides teaching a variety of quilt classes locally, Leni also gives workshops based on all four books and does talks and trunk shows of her work. She has a blog: http://blog.leniwiener.com/ and a website www.leniwiener.com.

Pictorial Art Quilt Guidebook is now available. This book is essentially a workshop with Leni you can do at home, the book will take you through each step from photo to finish and even include some mis-steps so you can see how Leni evaluates things that aren't going well and makes changes. You will also find a guide for common elements in art quilts and how to achieve each with a single fabric, two fabrics or multiple fabrics. These include things like water, grass, hair, skin, animal feathers and fur and a whole lot more. You will also find a helpful Art Quilters Value card that you can cut out of the book and use to help make fabric decisions--or you can purchase a laminated card --visit www.leniwiener.com for more information.

Customer Reviews

4.3 out of 5 stars
5 star
4 star
3 star
2 star
1 star
See all 22 customer reviews
The instructions are so easy to follow.
ADA
I love this book so much, when it was lost I had to purchase another copy straight away to put back with my favourites on the book shelf.
Diva 'Dorothy'
The content is very informative, beautiful pictures, which it should have, considering the subject matter.
Donna Fisher

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

15 of 16 people found the following review helpful By B. Bloom on October 28, 2008
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
This is not a book for a beginner. I have been sewing for many years but am having trouble with this skill. The book makes it look so easy yet even with practicing I am no where near having something that looks decent. I will keep practicing because I like the look and hope I can get to a level that is passable.
2 Comments Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
27 of 32 people found the following review helpful By ADA on November 16, 2007
Format: Paperback
This book is wonderful! The instructions are so easy to follow. The creative ideas are endless. It definitely takes you to next level with quilting. The best part is, you don't have to be able to draw!!!!! You can feel the author's energy, it's contagious!
Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
27 of 33 people found the following review helpful By Margaret Young on November 6, 2007
Format: Paperback
This book is GREAT! I found the technique so easy to learn and very effective. I especially loved the cat portrait in the book, and as a cat lover (I have 9 cats at home), I thought I could "thread paint" a few of their portraits. I'm so pleased with the results that I'm going for all 9!
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful By Diva 'Dorothy' on September 1, 2012
What more could you ask for than this book to learn thread painting which gives a lovely finish to your quilt.
I love this book so much, when it was lost I had to purchase another copy straight away to put back with my favourites on the book shelf.
The easy to follow instructions are clear and the effects of thread painting adds a new dimension which is suprisingly easy to do.
I wish I had found this book sooner, the ideas are wonderful.
Diva Drothy
19 of 26 people found the following review helpful By K. Wisniewski on April 15, 2008
Although I love the cat instructions, I found nothing else in the book that was good for me. I didn't like that it has all clothing things to make and not nice scenic or more animals, or even some flowers.
Very disappointing book for me.
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful By Lois Garbisch on February 16, 2013
This book has the basics of thread painting, but the explanations are somewhat minimal. I think that the pictures are very good, and perhaps explain more than the words.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful By F. Kincaid on January 6, 2013
The technique shown by Leni Wiener makes thread painting seem "doable" for me. I have two or three other books on thread painting and they are all excellent, but this is my favourite.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful By Aquila Clark on March 23, 2012
I have not tried this technique yet, but in reading this book I really like the concept of being able to add this technique to my quilts. Very well written and easy to understand, and very a creative writer as well.

Most Recent Customer Reviews

What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?