5.0 out of 5 stars An Overall Strong Debut
1. Burn - a slow, heavy song, a really good introduction to the cd, too. 5/5
2. Just Like You - Despite the obvious over-playing of this song, its still rather good. 5/5
3. I Hate Everything About You - ugh.. radio ruined this song, as they will most likely do with track 2, but it still stands out as a good song, just one you may have heard too much...
Published on December 19, 2003 by Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Heard Better
Published on August 1, 2004 by someonestoe

‹ Previous | 1 2 347 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Band, With Plenty Of Potential, December 23, 2004
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
By now everyone has developed an opinion of Three Days Grace. As of this point, they are the most played band on modern rock radio since Linkin Park or Creed. The great thing about TDG is that they have the ability, and a solid debut, to back up all of their seemingly sudden popularity. Now, as far as the album goes, it's not the most original piece of work -- the topics and emotions expressed here have been done to death before (and their sound has traces of Finger Eleven and Staind all over it) -- but the key here is that the music is pretty interesting and innovative at times (for this genre anyways) and all the songs are sung with conviction. To make a comparison, these guys are much in the same vein as Smile Empty Soul. Everyone knows the instantly recognizable singles "I Hate Everything About You" and "Just Like You," but there are other moments that are just as worthy of recognition. "Home," their newest single, is easily my favorite song of the batch. Just like the other two singles, this one revolves around a topic that is almost universal, but this song is just much more emotional and definitely grabs you from the opening. "Drown" is a deeply depressing, but very genuine song (I love the first few lines to that song), while more upbeat, but still negative songs like "Scared" (with it's overbearing opening riff) and "Overrated" fill the room and represent the band's live power to perfection. Afterall, having been able to see them live, I can tell you they put on quite a show. And this is definitely one of those albums that sounds better live. Although there isn't one song in particular I don't like, this album isn't without it's flaws, but I think it's safe to say Three Days Grace will be able to cement themselves a little better on their next album. As is stands though, this is a great beginning. The bonus DVD is a nice addition, as it features all three of their current music videos, with making-of features (Raab Himself, of "Jackass" fame even shows up during the "Just Like You" shoot) and plenty of live footage, the highlight of which being their acoustic set for Rollingstone.com. If you're a fan of modern-rock, hard-rock, or whatever you want to call it, TDG will most likely be right up your alley. And if you really love the album, the reissue is worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing debut album!, June 15, 2006
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
This is a great debut album, and its one of the best debut albums I've heard! There isn't a track on here I don't listen to, which is pretty rare for me. The first song I heard by them was the inevitable "I Hate Everything About You", and I didn't like it at all. It was probably a stage in my life where the angry rock music Three Days Grace plays did not suit my music tastes. Then "Home" came out, and once again, I did not like it (for the same probable reasons). Plus, the video really wierded me out, and it still does. Then I heard "Just Like You". This was the first song by Three Days Grace that I actually liked, and I also LOVED the video. For a while, that was all I listened to by them, until I got in one of my `I'm bored of my current music' moods. Then I listened to the entire album, and I really enjoyed it. I think my music tastes had changed, so the music I listened to was harder and angrier music, enabling me to fully enjoy their album. I even ended up liking the songs that I had hated before. Here is my track by track review of the album: 5 stars being the best!

1. Burn: 5/5 stars - This is a great track for the album to open with. It's loud (one of the loudest on here) and it's just a great track! It's not one of my top 3, but it's still a great track!

2. Just Like You: 5/5 stars - One of my favorite songs of the album, and as I said before, the one that introduced me to the band. I can NEVER get tired of hearing this song. I think I can definitely relate to it. There's a lot of people I know that are like what he describes, and I don't want to be anything like them. I also can relate this to my father, because while I love him a lot, he's nothing like what I want to be, and he's got a lot of traits that I don't want to have!

3. I Hate Everything About You: 5/5 stars - I love the guitar part to this album - it's simple, but awesome! Even though it was played over and over again on the radio, I still love it, and I can't get tired of it. Great song!

4. Home: 5/5 stars - This is a good song. It's not one of my favorites, but I can definitely listen to it, and I think it's pretty awesome and LOUD.

5. Scared: 4/5 stars - While still a good song, it's not one of my favorites, and I find myself skipping it on occasion. It's one of my least favorite tracks on the album, but it's still good!

6. Let You Down: 5/5 stars - One of my favorite songs on the album. When I first heard it, it reminded me of my ex-boyfriend. I told him a lot of stuff, and I thought I could trust him, but he turned out to be a jerk, and sort of let me down. I think it's a relatable song on the album, because I think most people have had someone let them down.

7. Now Or Never: 5/5 stars - Another one of my favorites off the album! I loved it the first time I heard it!

8. Born Like This: 4/5 stars - While it's a good song, it's not one of my favorites and I tend to skip it on occasion. This is my other least favorite song!

9. Drown: 5/5 stars - I LOVE this song. It's one of my favorites, and I can relate. I've had times where I've felt like I was alone, and all my friends had disappeared. I love the chorus: "If I need someone to control me, If I needed someone to hold me down... I would save myself before I drown". I think it's about living your life for yourself, and really just being who you are and not letting anyone change it.

10. Wake Up: 5/5 stars - I also love this song! It's another one of my favorites! I have a lot of them! It was another song that reminded me of my ex, and it was because, at that time I was very angry at him.

11. Take Me Under: 5/5 stars - Another one I love. It's probably my favorite song on the album. I have lyrics from it on my backpack (then again, my backpack has all kinds of random stuff on it! I've heard several meanings behind it, including that it's about sex. However for me, it seems like it has more meaning than that. I've always seen it as relating to someone wanting to commit suicide. Their dreams are gone, and they feel like they have nothing to live for, so their just waiting for something to take them away from this life. That's what I get from the lyrics and overall feel of the song. I'll often listen to it when I'm feeling sorta depressed.

12. Overrated: 5/5 stars - This a very good song and it's a good way to close the album. I really like this song. To me, it sorta relates to how teenagers think that their parents and we can't relate to them and that we come up with answers on our own.

And that's my review!

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, August 20, 2003
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
When I first heard "I hate everything about you" I instantly fell in love with the song. I waited patiently until the CD came out, expecting it to be pretty good. And it was. The songs have good melodies, which make it sound very pop-ish, but the guitar is pretty heavy which balances it out. Adam's voice also makes the songs sound heavier. Lyrics are very hear-felt, mostly about failing relationships with friends / girlfriends, etc. Very relatable.
Songs:
1. Burn - Wicked beginning. I like the drums a lot. Good Chorus. Verses are good aswell. Nothing too special about this song but it will be a radio hit no-doubt. 4/5
2. Just Like You - Pretty good song. Guitar is good. The Chorus gets a little repettitive. Verses and Bridge are better than the Chorus. 4/5
3. I Hate Everything about You - One of the few radio-played songs I could listen to over and over. I liked this song a lot when it came out, and even though it's over-played I still listen to it and never skip it when I listen to this CD. 5/5
4. Home - I love the guitar in the verses of this song. It's awesome. I dont like how they repeat "home" over and over, but what can I do? This song is really good and I like it a lot and it'll probably be a radio hit too. 5/5
5. Scared - I haven't really gotten into this song. It's okay but nothing special about it. I dont like the guitar in the beginning. And I don't really understand the lyrics. Nothing relatable to the lyrics at all... well unless your a paranoid person I guess. But the song is still okay its catchy. 3.5/5
6. Let You Down - Very Interesting yet amazing song. The song starts off very eerie sounding. Then in the chorus it becomes more heavy. I like this song a lot. VERY GOOD! 5/5
7. Now or Never - Good Song. Very melodic. But then again, the guitar's heavy so it balances it out. The chorus gets repettitive, but it's still good. 4/5
8. Born Like This - Nothing too special about this. I like the vocals in the verses. Chorus gets repettitive again but still pretty good. 3. 5/5
9. Drown - Didn't love it in the beginning but it's growing on me now. 3.5/5
10. Wake Up - My favorite song on the CD. Guitar is very interesting. I like the lyrics aswell. The whole song is catchy. And even though the melody is similar the whole way through I still can't get sick of it. 5/5
11. Take Me Under - Very different melody for the beginning but is catchy the whole way through. Im starting to like this song the more and more I hear it. 5/5
12. Overrated - Don't love this song but I like it. There's nothing too catchy about it but its quite interesting after listening to it a few times in a row. 4/5
So all in all I think this CD is worth buying, especially for the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars ROCK, February 19, 2005
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
Alright well i think this band is very good. the first time i heard them i loved them and i still do. people may think they suck or whatever else but those are a bunch of losers that should go listen to vanilla ice or a boy band. im sure they will feel alot more comfortable with that. as for me i love metal and rock and anything that has that moody aggressive kick to it. and three days grace has that. that is all i have to say abbout that and to all the people who wrote negative reviews can do some sweaty fondling with eachother. AYE.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I hate everything about this song!" But I love the CD, June 12, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
Alright, i'm sure there are thousands of people out there are like I was. I bought this C.D. about 2 days ago. But it is a funny story because i hate their first single "I hate..." and i really don't even think that "Just Like You" is that great! But while i was on amazon i saw related bands and i liked most of the bands, Incubus, Lostprophets etc. so i walked up to the store and i was looking around at CD's and i saw it, and i just grabbed it and never looked back! As i was putting it into my CD Player i was crossing my fingers and wa-la it was awesome! I couldn't believe it! The 2 hits (in my mind) are the 2 worst songs on the album for goodness sakes! So if you're hesitant to buy it don't be. Thier hard but there is intelligence involved! And listen to the bad reviews if you want to miss out on a good CD! Seriously i hated this band with a passion but now i gave them a chance and at this moment it is one of my favorite CD's (Lostprophets-Start Something, and Incubus-A Crow Left of The Murder) SO GIVE IT A CHANCE!

5.0 out of 5 stars True Nu-Metal!, October 30, 2004
Mark'O (Slovenia, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
When I first heard this band, I didn't really liked them. But then I was persuaded to listen some more songs and I totally loved them. Now, I think this is one of the best nu-metal bands out there. You may not like it at first, but give this guys a chance and listen some more songs. I bet you're going to love them then. I would definitely recommend this album to any of you nu-metal fans, who like bands such as Lostprophets, Linkin Park, Papa Roach,... Just listen to them!

3.0 out of 5 stars Heard Better, August 1, 2004
someonestoe (Wherever I May Roam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
These guys are not bad, but could be better. The only real complaint that I have is that everything they do is far to repititous. They sing the same lyrics over and over again and play the same guitar over and over again. But overall it is still an okay album, but I would recommend something such as Anthrax's latest album "We've Come For You All" instead. Trust me it's very, very good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice debut that showed a lot of promise, despite its lack of originality..., September 30, 2009
Andrew Ellington (I'm kind of everywhere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
When I first heard `I Hate Everything About You' back when it was released I seriously thought that it was a new song by Finger Eleven. That was a good thing, beings that at the time Finger Eleven was my favorite band (I still have a soft spot for them even though they have sold out). When I realized that it was a different band entirely, I raced out to get the album. While it has its flaws (repetition can kill even the grandest of musical experiences), `Three Days Grace' is a pretty solid album that may not do anything new, but it does the `same ol' same' really good.

Standouts here definitely include the first single `I Hate Everything About You', which is actually poignant when dealing with relationships and so I respect it for making a statement and being engaging while doing so. The song is both abrasive and endearing, and it showcases the aggressive nature that Three Days Grace feels most comfortable with. `Scared' plays around with that aggression with nice sharp guitar work that makes it jump out as different and unique when compared to the rest of the album.

Two of the best tracks on the album are actually mellower tracks, giving us a different side to the band. `Take Me Under' and `Wake Up' are stellar tracks; `Wake Up' being my favorite on the album. I love the guitar work, and Adam's vocals are so entrancing here; marvelously complementary of the musical arrangement. The lyrics are also some of the best on the album, and their use of vulgarity is both humorous and brutally honest.

The rest of the album is good, but nothing outstanding. They produce very solid yet standard rock music here. Songs like the single `Home' and `Burn' suffer from overly repetitive chorus lines. Both are great rock songs, but they are nothing we haven't heard before. I think that is the major issue with this debut. Bursting onto the scene alongside a slew of very similar bands was not a good thing, but at least they proved here they have the collective talents to improve and grow. `Just Like You' was a great choice for a single, and it is one of the better songs on the album, showcasing the melodic side to their breed of rock. `Let You Down' has a nice and memorable chorus, even if it is simple (lyrically); taking advantage of subtle touches that make a song stand out.

"Now or Never', `Born Like This' and `Drown' are three of the more forgettable tracks here.

I find it ironic that they chose to include a song like `Overrated'. When you consider the fact that `Three Days Grace' is not a breakthrough record by any means and simply just a regurgitating of music we've already heard (at times the album sounds like a less inspiring `Tip', Finger Eleven's debut album) then one could easily say that Three Days Grace is overrated. This is coming from someone who really likes this band (especially their sophomore album) and recommends this album. I'm just being realistic here. This is not `great' music. It brings nothing new to the table, but it does manage to deliver a solid collection of familiar rock tunes that will satisfy the itch, if you so wish to scratch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Rock Album, December 5, 2003
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
I first heard of Three Days Grace when I saw the music video for I Hate Everything About You, and I thought it was pretty catchy, so when I saw it a couple weeks later for a cheap amount, I picked it up. And after a couple listens I really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to more from TDG in the future. Here's the track-by-track listing.
1. Burn- Not the best song on the CD, but an acceptable owner. Kind of goes on a little long in the instrumentals part for my liking. The longest song on the CD at 4:27. 8.25/10
2. Just Like You- Supposedly the second single off the CD, this one has a really catchy, albeit very simple, opening riff, and the way everything comes together is great. 10/10
3. I Hate Everything About You- Everyone who's heard of Three Days Grace has heard this song. It's a good depiction of what the rest of the album sounds like, but if you don't like it, there's still some stuff that should please you. 9.5/10
4. Home- I've heard this will be the 3rd single, but only time will tell. Unlike Burn, this one doesn't seem to drag on, and even while being over 4 minutes, it's great the whole way through. 10/10
5. Scared- This probably has the catchiest chorus on the CD, and the rest of the song is good, too. A song packed with energy and it's good to get you pumped up. The bridge is cool as well. 10/10
6. Let You Down- Starts off kind of eerily, and soon busts into the chorus with a heavy-soft formula, and the altogether package sounds strong. 9.5/10
7. Now or Never- Another great song that also starts off kinda spookily and then bursts into a hard-hitting song that stays solid all the way through. The shortest song on the album at exactly 3 minutes.
8. Born Like This- Begins with Adam, the lead singer, singing in kind of a raspy voice, and this returns later in the bridge and adds to the sound, but overall, it sounds a little off to me. 8/10
9. Drown- Another cool song with a softer verse which busts into a harder chorus down the road. The ending is pretty cool, too. 9.5/10
10. Wake Up- Starts off with the acoustic guitar, and soon, the hard-hitting chorus comes in and makes this one of the better songs on the CD. 9.75/10
11. Take Me Under- The beginning reminds me of System of a Down's Aerials, but that's pretty much the only negative thing I have to say about this one. 8.75/10
12. Overrated- I heard the lyrics were written pretty quickly for this one, and they show. Overall, the song's alright; it's one of the worst on the album, but is a decent closer. 8.5/10
So there you have it. Three Days Grace is yet another fine Canadian product that will probably be around for awhile. If you like pretty much any type of rock there should be something on here that you'll enjoy. And if you enjoyed I Hate Everything About You, then you should definitely pick this one up. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Upcoming Band, August 18, 2003
Trafton Clough (Chester, Vermont) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Days Grace (Audio CD)
I have really been into some of the new bands coming out like Revis, Smile Empty Soul, Depswa, Closure, Double Drive, Pulse Ultra, 12 Stone, Trust Company, Dry Cell, Trapt, Buzzhorn & Mad At Gravity and Three Days Grace was just another pleasant surprise. I first heard I Hate Everything About You and I was drawn in. The rest of the cd is full of great songs, with Scared & Born Like This being the only two songs I wasn't crazy about. Their sound isn't unique, as they sound very similar to Canadian counterpart Finger Eleven. But if you like Finger Eleven, the bands I listed above and well written lyrics combined with very emotional music, this cd is a can't miss.

‹ Previous | 1 2 347 | Next ›

Three Days Grace
Three Days Grace by Three Days Grace (Audio CD - 2003)