Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Stone Cherry Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 6, 2000
My girls and I have read this book many times. The subtle multiculturalism of the book comes across in a humorous, pleasant way. Coyote is the consumate trickster of generic Native American folklore, and the javelinas get help from Native and Latino people in the construction of their homes. The drawings are well done and the story sticks close to the classical version with a dash of southwestern spice. Recommended for children 3-7 and their parents.
on April 26, 1999
I love the less gruesome details--the way I always told it--with nobody actually eaten or hurt. And I appreciate the new southwestern vocabulary, expressions, and illustrations. My grandchildren love it. And my grown-up children all had to read it, too.
on October 29, 1996
I'd like to reserve the "10" for vaarious editions of the
bible and/or Shakespeare, but this English-Spanish new-age
Southwestern styled rendition of the old stand-by "The Three
Little Pigs" will have you and your kids just roaring with
laughter as you also sneak in some serious home learning on
a second language. The Javelinas will keep you on the edge
of your seat in the dust of the great Southwest. Fun and
real learning in one package...a great gift for your kids
who are fascinated by new versions of the old favorite
fairytales and interested in language skill development.
on July 27, 2003
The Three Little Javelinas by Susan Lowell offers a twist on the classic children's story of the three little pigs. The three little javelinas (a wild, hairy southwestern cousin of pigs) live in a house of tumbleweeds, a house of saguaro ribs (from fallen giant cacti), and a house of bricks - but when a hungry coyote comes calling, only the house of bricks is strong enough to seek shelter in! An engaging fable, with unique anthropomorphic color illustrations by Jim Harris, The Three Little Javelinas is an entertaining and transplanted storybook retelling of a classic children's fairytale favorite.
on December 15, 2005
I picked this up for my three-year-old at a used book store while I was on business in Tucson. She has a "Three Little Pigs book, so I thought this would be fun for her. I read it on the plane, and found it to be educational and funny, and the artwork is superb. When I got home, my daughter was just getting ready for bed, so we decided to read it. She just loved it! I look forward to reading it again. This book is also a great reminder of the desert Southwest.
on August 4, 2015
This Book was used as a card for a co-worker moving away from the Southwest. Everyone signed it in the front (plenty of room for that) and the book was well received and something she can read to the kids and remember the Desert Southwest as they grow up. Such a cute book
on May 20, 2013
We live in a desert environment and he loved that the scenery was familiar. He was proud of learning the word "javelina" and liked the parallel to the traditional three little pigs story. Most books don't hold his interest for long, but this book has become a favorite. I also enjoy reading it and I hope that when he is older we can read the Spanish words together. I'd recommend this for a change for the adult who has to read the book over and over as well as the introduction of a different setting for kids that may have a little trouble relating to books.
on April 14, 2013
If you live in the Southwest, then this is a MUST for children of all ages. It is a delightful take on The Three Little Pigs and the illustrations are priceless. Very good! It is getting harder and harder to find it in Hardcover however. We purchase this book every time we are invited to a child's birthday party or, a shower. We bought it for the first time over a decade ago and we recently sent a copy to friends in Romania. Now, they can enjoy some Southwest humor.
on September 22, 2013
These southwestern cousins teach as well as compare to a familiar story. I love the cowboy clothes, homes of tumbleweed and saguaro ribs - until they go to the wise SISTER who lives in the house of adobe bricks! Good for girls and boys alike cause the mean ole coyote learns a lesson too!
on December 20, 2013
The story, a variation of the Three Little Pigs, is very entertaining and well illustrated. This book also is regionally accurate, as the pigs use materials native to the southwestern US. I highly recommend this book. I've read it to my kindergarten classes many times and it's always been well received