4.0 out of 5 stars A "back to basics" retelling of the classic story
Published on December 20, 1999 by Suzanne Amara

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 Little Pigs
I recommend reading this first. It is the version where the first 2 pigs are eaten and the last pig tricks the fox.
Published 23 months ago by Vicki Cote

4.0 out of 5 stars A "back to basics" retelling of the classic story, December 20, 1999
When my older son became fascinated with the Three Little Pigs after seeing a version of it on Sesame Street, I did some research on this site to decide the best version to buy him in book form, and decided on this one. I was glad I did---as he really enjoyed many readings of this version until he moved onto new interests! It's not for the faint hearted, as the first two pigs do get eaten, and the pictures of the houses falling show sticks all over and pigs flying away, but that's life in fairy tales! The text is straightforward, the pictures are clear and well done. Consider this version!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine version, August 6, 1999
By A Customer
Galdone has done us all a great favor with this fine edition of a classic, odd story. The previous reviewer doesn't seem to realize that this is indeed a complete traditional version of this story, with the orchard and butterchurn material that has been deleted from many modern retellings. Galdone tells it straight, without much revising, which is increasingly rare; modern authors and illustrators seem to think these stories have been done to death and instead choose to parody them, perhaps not realizing that everything is new to a young child, and kids won't realize what is being parodied until they know the original. Galdone's illustations are active, fun, engaging, memorable, and thoroughly.. well, illustrative!

4.0 out of 5 stars Build Your House from Bricks or..., June 9, 2005
Paul Galdone's "Three Little Pigs" is not your modern PC version of piggies vs wolf. In this story pigs get eaten. Which is perhaps why this book was on my entering kindergartner's Summer Reading List. Far from being watered down and shortened, this version includes the bits about the wolf's trying to trick pig #3 into getting within grabbing range: let's get turnips together... apples together, and finally, let's go to the fair together.

It also has the wolf becoming so enraged that he forgets how well this little piggy has consistently outwitted him. Angrily, he crawls down the chimney only to become the pig's dinner.

Thus, all of the `morality play' aspects of the story remain. Now whether a young child can shift through the material to garner those gems depends upon the child. My approach is if not now, then later.

Interestingly, one of the things that I found was that my children -boy and girl, 3 and 5 respectively-were unconcerned with the fate of the `less wary' pigs. At this point in time, they simply do not appear to identify with the porcine characters and consequently did not find the story scary or disturbing.

Buy this book if you want the classic story. It is longer, but for toddlers you can simply skip over the extra attempts of the wolf to trick the 3rd piggy, and go to the chimney directly.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Two Year Old Laughs Until His Sides Hurt, October 17, 2001
My child loves this book/cassette combo. He loves it more than the so-called 'friendlier', non-pig eatin' versions that currently on the market. This, of course, surprised me...but I guess it shouldn't. This version is richer in conflict; and in turn, more thought-provoking than the other versions. If you think your child would enjoy this type of story line, like mine has; then by all means, purchase this combo for him/her! Only you know what is/is not suitable for your child.
My child fell in love with this combo when we checked it out at our public library. So much, in fact, that I had to find a way to purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Tradition, June 15, 2001
Larry D. Spence (Milesburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful presentation of the original story without the moralisms of Disney's adaptation. There is bad and good luck, cunning, bravery and dealing with tough situations without whining. This leaves room for children to respond to the story and interpret it. My two year old grandson loved it, even if he didn't know what a churn was. The drawings are stylish. I recommend it as an addition to your basic library of classic children's tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, September 1, 2002
"msmutty2" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This version of the Three Little Pigs is excellent. The original tale with the actual eating of the pigs and wolf. My tot is the sweetest kid in the world, and he loves this book. Definitely his favorite for a few weeks. I don't have the audio cassette version, but I recently bought the audio version of Rumplestiltskin, and it's great too. I'm actually on here now to buy more audio cassette books, as many Paul Galdone books as I can find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For Trips!, May 31, 2004
I always loved this story as a child, so it is one that I have inflicted on my daughter (almost 4) in hopes that she would love it as well. We were planning a trip, so I purchased the audio version so she could listen to the story while we were driving. While it is not the PC version where the first and second little pigs get away and run to the home of their brother with the brick home (they are actually eaten as each of their homes is huffed and puffed to the ground)--it is still a great story and provided hours of entertainment. We are constantly finding the value of books with tapes for car travel and it helps a lot when the books are well written and illustrated. This one is all of that and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME BOOK., November 30, 2009
THE BEST 3 PIG STORY IN THE WORLD!! Not politically correct as all versions are watered down now - so my boys love it (3 & 5). The first 2 pigs get ate by the wolf, and the 3rd pig wins out in the end by eating the wolf. Pictures are AWESOME! My kids love reading along - and we love doing voices for each character. Also - this version is a little longer than the normal story by having the wolf try to trick the 3rd pig into getting outside - which makes the story even better! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a suprise, February 14, 2007
This is my second copy of the book because the first was used so much the pages started falling apart. What a suprise when I received the free read-along CD with it. A must have for all grades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Version I've Read, May 26, 2014
As a preschool teacher, I have read a few different versions of The Three Little Pigs, but Paul Galdone's is the best traditional version. SPOILER ALERT: Some of the animals are "eaten up" in this story. This is the more traditional version than the versions where the pigs simply run to the next brother's house. The illustrations in this book are beautiful. This story was loved by all in my preschool class and then children asked to hear it again and again. This is a great story for retelling and working on beginning, middle, and end as well as problem/solution. Yes, I would definitely recommend this book to parents and teacher of young children.

The Three Little Pigs
The Three Little Pigs by Paul Galdone (Hardcover - July 13, 1979)
Used & New from: $0.94