Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Three Little Pigs (Reading Railroad)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 23, 1999
I just couldn't bear to let a middle school kid give this book an "average customer review" of one star. This book is a side-splitter. Absolutely hysterical. My children were rolling on the floor. Also get Marshall's "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" and "Red Riding Hood" for a set of some of the best retellings ever. Marshall's wry sense of humor makes him a favorite in our home school.
on March 28, 2012
I like this story and my grandchildren enjoy the story and pictures, however they are still very small (less than 3 years). I gave it 4 stars because my daughter picked it up to read to the kids and was horrified that the wolf actually eats the pigs. In the end, the pig eats the wolf! But she doesn't know that because she decided it was inappropriate for the kids. I find the book amusing and think it tells the story how it really is supposed to be, except for a sidetrack near the end how the last piggie keeps arranging to meet the wolf then outsmarting him. When I think more about it it though, I suppose the theme is that it is teaching how to trick the bad guy so you can get even. Ok, now I am thinking WAY too much about it and can see my daughter's point of view. Bottom line is - it's a fairly tale that has been told for many decades, if not a century or so. It is a fun story to tell and very fun to read to little ones changing your voice to be the wolf or the wee little piggies, even better when you huff and puff and BLOW the house down! The kids enjoy it and I really don't think they think that much about it at all. After all, they eat pretty much anything themselves :)
on April 25, 2002
My 2.5 year old loves this book. Now he asks everyone what their house is made of.
on April 18, 2008
This version of The Three Little Pigs is witty, engaging, and easy for younger listeners to follow. The illustrations are also fantastic; fans of James Marshall will not be disappointed. The only flaw to this book, in my mind, is the font. The font is fine for adult readers, but for novice readers just learning how to negotiate books on their own, it is a little distracting and unclear.
on November 29, 2013
This is obviously a variation on the original, beloved "Three Little Pigs" tale, but still wittily charming. Marshall's illustrations are eye-catching and definitely carry the story. Takes about 13 minutes to read aloud--with some elaboration--during story time. (Note: In this version the less-smart little pigs are gobbled up by the wolf; they don't escape to a sibling's house.)

The Creative Teacher: Activities for Language Arts (Grades 4 through 8 and Up)
on January 29, 2016
James Marshall is the best. Sticks to the classic tale - drawings are brilliant and hilarious. My daughter loved him when introduced many many years ago - so bought this copy for members of the next generation. Still elicits the giggles. All his stuff does.
on July 6, 2013
The rolly polly brothers are drawn in a fun way that adds to the classic story. The wolf is not so evil and they even have a mother pig who is sending them out into the world. I used this book with puppets for a Library class with kindergarteners. They were fully engaged and literally rolling on the floor. Have some fun, read James Marshall's Three Little Pigs.
on June 30, 2012
My son had to read this, well I had to read to him over the summer before going into Kindergarten, a nice read with great illustration. Amazing what he has learned this first year in Kindergarten, now he can read it himself . Classic
on February 24, 2009
I love James Marshall books. I am a grandma and I collect them for myself. I even read them to my grandchildren. We like the humor. I am charmed by the great illustrations.
on September 24, 2014
There are so many versions of this story, I am using several (including this one) to discuss the things that are alike and different about them. These are great examples to use for comprehension skills.