5.0 out of 5 stars Dragons and Adventure - What Kid Wouldn't Love it?
This volume is the complete set of tales about Elmer and his friend the dragon, including the fun illustrations. The complete set includes "My Father's Dragon," "Elmer and the Dragon," and "The Dragons of Blueland."
Published on January 23, 2003 by Mark Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! Black & White Illustrations
This edition does not have color illustrations. When I purchased it, I was under the impression that it did. They are printed in black and white. The paper in this edition is the sort of paper used in a low quality trade paperback: this isn't really a nice edition. I'm not very pleased.

But the story itself is worth reading in any edition! Wonderful book!
Published on September 4, 2008 by J. Butler

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragons and Adventure - What Kid Wouldn't Love it?, January 23, 2003
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
These stories are perfect first chapter books for kids. The vocabulary is simple and the chapters are short. I'd forgotten just how short until I started rereading them. Yet the stories are packed full of adventure. Elmer is especially resourceful, and I still get a kick out of how he takes the simplest things and makes them work in whatever situation he finds himself.
Whether kids read these stories themselves or listen to them being read, they're sure to become favorites. And adults will enjoy the clever story lines as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read-aloud book, very clever story, November 5, 2002
Much like Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm, the My Father's Dragon trilogy is a fun read, and has a mixture of absurdity and humor that appeals on multiple levels. It's an easy read to a toddler, with several pictures throughout, and journey maps on the inner covers.
Since the chapters are short, you can do two or three a night without losing continuity. At the same time, the story has enough depth and cleverness that the parent can remain engaged. Thus, it's a catalyst for bonding.
One of the things that makes it special is the main character. Elmer Elevator, on the advice of a stray cat, starts out on a noble odyssey to free a baby dragon from its animal tormentors. In his preparation, Elmer packs dozens of seemingly useless items, including a magnifying glass, brush, sandwiches, and lollipops. While he travels across Wild Island, all these items become essential, and you wonder if the story was being told by MacGyver :-)
We've read the trilogy to completion five times and it's still a hit with everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Father's Dragon, November 27, 1999
By A Customer
As a reluctant and less than superb reader, I was delighted by this book when it was presented to me when I was eight by the exasperated school librarian. The engaging storyline enveloped me immediately. I credit this book with sparking a life-long love of great stories. This book would be a winner with any child!

5.0 out of 5 stars This outstanding story will capture young readers, June 16, 1998
By A Customer
I first read this story as a boy of 7, only 7 years after it was originally published in 1948. My own father was concerned because, as a child, I did not seem to enjoy reading. He read the first few pages of "My Fathers Dragon" then pretended to fall asleep. I was so engrossed in the story that, for the first time in my life, I picked the book up and read it to the end. This was the beginning of my love of books. Now as a third grade teacher, I read the first few pages of this wonderful story to my class and then quietly put the book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Read Aloud for Toddlers/Kinders and A Great Reading for Young Children, August 20, 2006
I first learned about this book while teaching second grade. It was one of our chapter books for group reading. My second grade students couldn't get enough of this wonderful classic and enjoyed reading it each day. They also voted it as the favorite chapter book that they read all year. Now as a parent I purchased it as a read aloud bedtime story for my three year old that has developed a love of dragons. It is a timeless story full of adventure and imagination! The chapters are short, making it a great bedtime story to be read over multiple nights. A must for every family library! Parents will enjoy it as well as children. It is a story that once you finish your child will ask, "Can we read it again?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read-aloud book., April 8, 1999
By A Customer
I read this book to my 5 and 6 year old boys. They love the black and white pictures which tell the story. It was a good story to practice comprehension skills. As Elmer saves the baby dragon he uses various items each step of the way. I quizzed my kids on what he used to deter the lion, the alligators, etc. My 5 year old cheated by looking ahead through all the pictures; then when we read on he'd say he knew that was going to happen. We will probably re-read this book many times before they are able to read it on their own. I highly recommend reading it together as an adventure for the whole family. luv2read

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best childrens book I have ever read., August 29, 1999
By A Customer
As a child of 7 I first listened spellbound as my 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Cohen read with delight the adventures of Elmer Elevator. I never forgot this story. Now, at almost 50 years of age I have read it to my children, and all of my elementary classes no matter what grade. All have loved every moment of every page. Thank you Ms. Gannett!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, October 28, 2005
A Kid's Review
I absolutely this book. It is about a young boy, Elmer Elevator, and a dragon, Boris, who go on a lot of adventures. I read it five years ago, when I was seven, and it is great for kids ages 7-10 to read alone. Younger kids would enjoy it too if someone read it out loud to them. Makes a great b-day or Christmas present!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A childhood favourite revived!, August 23, 1999
By A Customer
I grew up reading these "Dragon" stories. I recall the summer reading program at the St. Charles Public Library that I was a part of, and how my name filled one entire side of the card for "The Dragons of Blueland." I must have read these books a dozen times or more as a child.
Last Christmas, my wife surprised me by getting this volume for me. I had not seen these books since I was a child -- I was not even aware they were still in print, and had forgotten the name of the author. I read them again, and was as delighted at 29 as I was at 9.
These tales have a dream-like, innocent quality that has made them personal favourites for two decades!

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! Black & White Illustrations, September 4, 2008

But the story itself is worth reading in any edition! Wonderful book!

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon (3 Volume Boxed set)
Three Tales of My Father's Dragon (3 Volume Boxed set) by Ruth Stiles Gannett (Paperback - 1987)
Used & New from: $29.41