Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2009 6:33:36 PM PST
Min ponders about the line from the Karatheon cycle "the three becoming one". When I've read about theories about this, it often in Rand, Elayne, and Avienda who are the three. I think it might be Rand, Egwene, and Tuon/Fortuana. This would bring the leaders of the male and female halves of the power together, as well as East and West. Tuon has the ability to learn to channel, as she could be a sul'dam. It also has been hinted in other prophesies that Rand must bow the knee to the White Tower and the Crystal Throne. And if it were to be Elayne and Avienda--then why is Min left out? Just wondering if anyone else thinks this might be it.
As for the book, I really enjoyed The Gathering Storm. Most of the characters were right on, and I enjoyed having some of the loose ends beginning to be tied up (Black Ajah, for example). I missed having more of the character lines followed (like Elayne and Avienda, etc). The only really jarring note was Mat--he came across more shallow than I see him as. Gawyn also did not get much development, but at least was more in character.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2009 7:59:13 PM PST
Jeremy Curey says:
We don't know Lews Therin's wife very well. But what if Elayne, Avienda and Min somehow became one. As in Ilyena, Lews Therin's wife. He did mention in some of Rand's last stretch of dialogue about if he lives again maybe she can too and Min catching that particulat text seems to link her into it and there has been a big deal of him loving 3 women. Also, there is so much mentioned about Rand dying, something will obviously change there. I know it's a wierd thought though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2009 9:15:07 PM PST
Isn't the reference to the three in one regarding Callandor, and Rand needs to link with 2 women? So you think that it could be that when Avienda and Elayne link with him, it will drag Min into the surge and meld them together? I hadn't thought about that--but if that happens, do they essentially die? Weird, but potential.

Posted on Nov 7, 2009 6:39:50 AM PST
I think the 'three become one' refers to Perrin, Mat and Rand- why else would the forsaken be ordered to take them out?

Posted on Nov 8, 2009 12:02:29 PM PST
Alex says:
Three becoming one will be Rand, Lews, and Moridin. Rand will have to fight it out inside himself with the dark side, and he has already started, only winning the first quarter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2009 5:58:48 PM PST
Rand, Lews, and Moridin is another theory I think has merit. He's "seen" another's face, and it isn't Lews Therin. And in the final pages of Gathering Storm, he states that Lews and Rand were never one man. It makes sense in that it doesn't wipe out any one else's existence. But how does this link to the Callandor prophesy?
I don't think Rand, Perrin, and Mat becoming one (same problem with Avienda, Elayne, and Min) works, because it implies that they cease being individuals.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2009 10:01:49 PM PST
Joe W says:
WRT Mat, I found his first chapters a little left of center as well. Mat was supposed to be off his feed, pining, much to his surprise, for Tuon. I am not sure if the off-ness was Mat being discombobulated, Sanderson not quite mastering Mat's personality or a bit of both.

Posted on Nov 9, 2009 10:25:49 AM PST
How about the three being Rand, Lews Therin and Callandor??

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 1:46:32 PM PST
Ben says:
The three are saidar, saidin and the True Power.

Rand and two female channelers using Callandor linked, and then Rand busts out his new TP abilities and finds out that Callandor is a sa'angreal for that as well.

Everyone melts.

The End.

Posted on Nov 13, 2009 12:00:33 PM PST
Oscar says:
I thought it could be the final three books becoming the one final installment. :)

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 11:52:20 AM PST
I think it's going to be Egwene (Nynaeve, Moraine?), Rand, and Logain. Min has visions indicating that Logain will be pivotal in the end. I think Egwene will hold the Saidar, Logain, Saidin, and Rand the True Source while wielding Callandor to banish the Dark Lord. Thoughts?

Posted on Nov 19, 2009 12:53:13 PM PST
I don't think you can include a second male in the Callandor circle

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 10:17:20 AM PST
Dsolo says:
All of the theories here have some good points, but for some reason, my first thought was Rand, Mat and Perrin. Maybe they have to join together in some way (not to lose their individuality), but to bring their different talents to the battle. If it's Rand, Elayne and Avienda, Min would be left out. Perhaps it's Rand, Egwene and Nynaeve, since they're all of the old blood of Manetherin. This is really a fascinating new puzzle, as there are so many different configurations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2009 6:39:31 PM PST
Joe W says:
well, maybe its one of those recursive prohetic puns that means three individual groups become one, and those three groups become one. Matt, Perrin and Rand become one as they seem to be doing whenever they think of one another. Rand, Elayne and Avienda in a circle with Callendor. Rand, LTT and Moridin in whatever soul connection they might have. That places Rand as the center of three groups of three.

Posted on Nov 24, 2009 9:59:51 AM PST
*spoilers, for those who haven't finished the book*

I just don't think this is up for that sort of speculation anymore. I think that Sanderson tried to make it as clear as he could what three becoming one will be. Jordan was dragging things out, Sanderson is trying to push them back together again. Min figured it out, Cadsuanne agrees with her, and that's it. I think all that isn't known now is who the two women (or possibly one man and one woman) will be, and we can guess at that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 10:06:20 AM PST
Julia Nepper says:
I agree. But what about the part in the penultimate (my big word for the day) chapter of book 12 where Rand thinks he'll never hear Lews Therin's voice again?

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 8:16:11 AM PST
J. Malone says:
I agree that 3 becoming one refers to Rand and the two women that will link with Callandor. Also, I believe Callandor is a Ter'Angreal as well as a Sa'Angreal. I believe that it will allow rand to maintain control of the circle while they are linked.

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 10:15:56 AM PST
Alpo says:
Rand thinks of Perrin, Perrin thinks of Mat, Mat thinks of Rand; Thereby making a "circle" type thingy to contain the dark-un (Who I think is Morridin, who has somehow sepperated himself from the pattern/wheel of time in order to live forever to gain all the historical knowledge he desires; shocking!)

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 10:18:52 AM PST
Alpo says:
Oh and also, Morridin can somehow insinuate himself in the link between the three, but Rand will take over his body when his own body dies

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 12:33:23 PM PST
The answer has basically been given in the book and who the people will be has been heavily foreshadowed. There are only two women who Rand would trust to handle the flows of Callandor in a circle - Nynaeve and Moiraine. Throughout the book Rand speaks or thinks on these two being the only ones who didn't try to use him or put him in a box of some kind.

Posted on Nov 27, 2009 11:54:47 PM PST
You don't think rand would trust Elayne or Aviendah?

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 10:47:49 AM PST
Wow, some great ideas here. When I first read it I assumed Rand, Elanye and Avienda. Upon reflection on my run today I also considered Rand, Moiraine and Nynaeve. But after reading this discussion I find that I keep going back to the Egwene and Tuon/Fortuana as the most logical. Can't wait to for the next installment!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 10:29:01 PM PST
Cwbys21 says:
Elayne is pregnant and a Queen, she won't be participating in the last battle. For one she would need to be there to raise the kids and two after all hell breaks lose after the final battle she would need to be there to help maintain order.

As to the three thing, it was explained in the book with Min and Cadsuane to be a Callindor thing I thought. Rand said that Nyneave was one of the few he could trust actually has his best intentions at heart. The other would be either Avienda or Moiraine I think. Avienda because of her warrior's spirit or Moiraine because she was there from the beginning, even if they didn't have the best of relationships.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2009 6:24:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2009 6:29:23 PM PST
J. Parkes says:
Absolutely it's the three boys, the weird mind meld thing when they say each others name... perhaps its three couples becoming one... I know Moiraine will be back and be the fount of new knowledge in what Rand must do.

Posted on Dec 9, 2009 10:00:43 AM PST
Spencer says:
Yeah, I think this was a well done part of the book/story because it gives you many options:
Rand + Mat + Perrin must band together, per Min's viewings / flashing colors.
Saidin + Saidar + True Power must all be used together to bridge the gap to the dark one (using Saidin alone was what caused failure the first time).
Rand + Tuon + Egwene must band together, as leaders of the largest powers in the world. Possibly these three must join in a circle to wield Callandor (remember Tuon can learn to channel).
Rand + 2 others wielding Callador. Moraine and Nynaeve seem likely, but could be others.

Lots of options for speculation, all of which could work, are hallmarks of an interesting bit of the plot. Sanderson is bringing things to a head, but isn't revealing all his cards yet.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  31
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions