Three's Company: Season 1
Format: DVDChange
Price:$5.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 20, 2003
Format: DVD
Three's Company is the first and last sitcom to effectively blend physical comendy with effective one liners. Many of the popular sitcoms today such as Friends and Will and Grace have the satisfying one liners, but are opaque in the area of physical comedy. John Ritter's falling over the couch, tip toeing not to be seen, and tripping over things elevate this sitcom from great to amazing.
In 1977, the kind of double entendre humor spoken all through the series invoked snarls on conservative TV viewers. Yet, it was that same humor that made it numder one on the Nielson Ratings. It's King-like status on TV because of the sexually racy humor attracted viewers because of it's innocence about sex. The humor wasn't for shock value. The lines about promiscuity were delivered by the cast as innocently as we heard it over the tube. That child-like and non "in your face" approach made Three's Company heartwarming as well as extremly funny.
The series had few cameras working with the cast so the episodes have a unparelled equality to a one act on stage. Therefore, it is easy to see the cast playing off each other for emotional support as well as professionally. It is hard to watch an episode of this gem and not laugh out loud, And it will be extremely difficult not to well an eye for the late "Man About the House" who paved the way for the phyisical comedians today. This series will never be equalled.
on November 9, 2003
Format: DVD
Hello, I am the webmaster of the Jack's Bistro website. I received an advanced copy of this wonderful DVD last week, and here is my review of it:
I have had the pleasure to watch the DVD already for review. It is excellent and the quality of the episodes amazes me. Fans have been complaining for years about the edits the reruns have on TV, now the complaining will stop! As each episode will be unedited. Season 1 had only six episodes, and run about 24-25 minutes per episode. Only one episode has a tag scene in season one ("Roper's Niece"), but when season two comes out, that will be a different story. In this DVD, we have of course, the six episodes, along with an "In Memory of John" feature, and a sneak peek at "Season Two." The "In Memory of John" feature also has a nice clip from the charity John was so involved with, UCP. Portions of the money from the sales will go to that charity. So it will be for a good cause. All fans should DEFINITELY buy season one in tribute to John and also, so we can eventually get all eight seasons on DVD (yes, that means unedited!). Hopefully the DVD's sell out fast and they realize that they made the right decision on making seasonal DVD's for Three's Company. Chris Mann was involved in this project as well, so for sure all fans will be pleased, as his judgment is the best. Though, this DVD was supposed to come put in early 2004, I was still impressed on how well it was made. The title shot and menu screen is amazing--everyone will love it. All the episodes have a synopsis before you watch an episode. All the extras that were planned for this season, will be inserted in the season two DVD, which will now come out it in early 2004 (Spring or so). Also a more in depth tribute to John Ritter will be in that DVD. Each season will get better and better. If you have not ordered yet, it's not too late. You can click on one of the links above and buy a copy (or two!). So, please everyone buy it, so we can get all eight seasons released.
Thanks,
[...]
on November 12, 2003
Format: DVD
The season one "Three's Company" DVD is something very special. It is a DVD that has the first six (6) episodes of a series that tickled my funny bone as early as the age of 5. I was especially proud to purchase this DVD today since the proceeds from it not only went towards a cause close to John Ritter's heart (a man whose work I've admired for many years), but one close to mine as well because John's brother Tom and I share that common ground. "Three's Company" stars John Ritter as Jack Tripper; Joyce DeWitt as Janet Wood; Suzanne Somers as Chrissy Snow; Norman Fell as the "uninterested" landlord, Mr. Stanley Roper and Audra Lindley as Mrs. Helen Roper, his "sex-starved" wife.
First, I'd like to review the episodes. The pilot, "A Man About The House," was a good episode (surprisingly not my favorite of this season), although, I liked it because it introduced not only the beginning of the series but a relationship with my favorite trio, Jack, Janet and Chrissy. There is also a scene in this episode, at the beginning, which had never been aired in the series' syndicated runs.
The second episode, "And Mother Makes Four," was OK. I liked John Ritter's physical comedy in this episode, although, I do not want to give the plot away.
The third episode, "Roper's Niece," is my favorite episode this season, because of a "touching" ending, between Jack and Janet. The scene I'm referring to brought a tear to my eye. I don't want to give it away. Watch it, and you'll know why.
The fourth episode, ""No Children, No Dogs," was all right. It introduced Richard Kline as Jack's best friend Larry for the first time. I thought that was cool.
The fifth episode, "Jack and The Giant Killer," was good, and the sixth, and last, episode of the season, "It's Only Money," was OK.
The best episode was "Roper's Niece," but these six episodes are a great start to a wonderful sitcom. One of the DVD features had a paragraph written about the season two DVD (due out in early spring, 2004), and the John Ritter tribute at the end was a written paragraph about how he and his brother helped raise money for United Cerebral Palsy with a UCP commercial narrated by actor, John Mahoney ("Frasier's" Martin Crane). You'll love it. It's definitely a great taste of a wonderful series to come.
VINE VOICEon December 20, 2003
Format: DVD
I was reluctant to buy this disc because of its high price/few episodes ratio. (Come on, "All in the Family" gets 26 episodes for $30, that's under $1 per episode and that's how it should be for all TV!) However, as a proceed of the purchase (how much they won't tell us, hmmmm...) goes to a charity John Ritter adored, I broke down tonight and bought it.
After the ubiquitous FBI screen disappears, I was greeted with a menu. Ignore the naysayers, there is nothing wrong with how this menu works and I've used far, far worse in my 300 movie collection. I rather like the menu... And the fact they have a menu option telling us of the Spring 2004 release for season 2 made my day, it's nice to see they'll put out this series for the fans.
Now for the transfer. Audio quality is superb, well restored. Video quality is a different story. Upon freeze-framing, it's very clear that, despite doing a good job at restoring the master tapes, they did a rather poor transfering the video to DVD. (You HDTV fans out there may not like watching this on your sets... and by 1996, the FCC is pulling the plug on current broadcast standards...) I can think of 2 reasons why the video looks as poor as it does, but it suffices to say that the end result is a video image that looks needlessly grainy; broadcast video technology of the time never ever looked this bad. But while not as bad as VHS consumer quality videotape, it is well below acceptable DVD quality. (for another example of what not to do in terms of transfrring video quality onto DVD, check out the dithering used in "The Best of the Chris Rock Show" - yuck!) But given the price of this disc and that "All in the Family" costs less per episode and yet looks far better (despite NOT having had its master tapes restored), I'm knocking 2 points off. DVD video should not ever look this grainy in a freeze-frame. (it is bearable when things in motion, but be prepared for a shock if you're a "quality freak".)
6 episodes. I was pondering the same issue, why not have a season 1 + 2 box set? But then we'd have to wait until spring, and I hate waiting, though I would have if the video looked better. Besides, these episodes are HILARIOUS. The gags, the double entendres, the Ropers... it's all there. And when you are laughing so much you start to cry and get a stomachache, you know you're watching a winner of a show that's well written and well cast. No wonder "Three's Company" became a success so quickly. As other reviewers here and other websites post plot synopses and reviews, I won't here. (well, "No Dogs, No Children" was probably my favorite of the bunch, especially the scene where Chrissy and Jack are in the kitchen feeding the puppy...)
And the real downfall is, John Ritter died an untimely death. :-( He will be missed. He was a great actor and sounded like a great guy too. Very rare in the industry...
on November 12, 2003
Format: DVD
About time already! This is a fun little DVD at an affordable price, and it's an added bonus knowing a share of the proceeds go towards John Ritter's favorite charity. That's typical of the man himself: an all-around class-act! John Ritter was a good man, and a great comedian.
This DVD package has the first six episodes of the ABC TV sitcom on one DVD. There aren't any extras or interviews by surviving cast members, which would have been nice (hint for season two's DVD). The episodes are presented in their original full-screen 1.33:1 ratio, and sadly a little compressed - the picture is artifacted somewhat. I would have preferred two disks with less compression myself (another suggestion for season two).
But this was a wonderful sitcom; one of the all-time greats from the golden-age of evening TV sitcoms. It pushed a few buttons in its day, but just stands the test of time today for its charming personalities, cute writing, and clever comedic timing.
Well worth the wait - well worth the price - and well worth remembering. We'll miss you John, God bless!
on October 7, 2003
Format: DVD
As a child of immigrants growing up in the US, life was always difficult. However, coming home to watch "Three's Company" always managed to put a smile on our faces. John's constant humor, his eneregy, his jokes always made us laugh. John's passing came suddenly. The release of this DVD (and many more to come I hope) is definetly a tribute to one of the funniest and hard working comedians of our time. Rest in Peace John. Thanks for all the laughs! Your passing is truly, as DeWitt said, "a great loss to the joy in the world."
on November 24, 2003
Format: DVD
One of my favorite shows ever, the DVD itself was rushed to capitalize on John Ritter's death. This is what I hate about movie studios, it's all about the money and not about quality. Thumbs down to the transfer, thumbs down to the menus, thumbs down to the speed of menu access.
Remember, I'm not rating the show because it would get 10 stars. The transfer is garbage.
John you are the man. Sorry about this quality!
VINE VOICEon May 10, 2008
Format: DVD
Three's Company is a jewel in the rough, who knew that this 70's sitcom can beat out most of what's on TV today. It not only makes you laugh but the intelligent wit, sarcasm and charm threw into each episode gives it a kick, some jokes and one liners are so good that I can't believe I it took me so long to finally watch this. Of course I didn't discover it myself, my boyfriend made me watch it - I saw the entire 1st season in one sitting, and that's coming from a girl who doesn't like to watch TV! I couldn't get enough and simply had to see the whole thing.

The premise sounds simple enough; two female roommates, Janet and Chrissy who have a third roommate, Jack - pretending that he's gay in order not to get evicted by the landlords Mr and Mrs. Roper. They are trying to balance their new friendship and the snooping landlords, visiting parents and not get caught while going through challenges of life and work in a funny, lighthearted manner. The stress in this show is comedic, not draining to the viewer.

I think there's something cozy and cute about 70's décor and even the semi hideous clothing that I find fascinating. My favorite character is the landlady, her sarcasm is priceless and her smug remarks jabbing at her husband and lack of passion in the bedroom are sharp but unquestionably hilarious. Her eye rolling and faces are priceless too, her character ads a level of delightful mischief to the show. The first season is just six episodes but I all ready have the rest and can't wait to sink into it. The real fun part is that each episode has a theme and things always go crazy and get out of hand for the roommates. Not getting caught or figuring out the problem is always a fun resolution at the end of each show.

Fun and easy to watch, perfect for the weekend when you can sit down, grab a snack and try not to fall of the couch from laughing.

- Kasia S.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2006
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
These episodes of Three's Company are rather rare because most of us have missed the beginning of the series and how Jack got into the house.

All the actors are hilarious especially the landlord and his wife who complete successfully the Three main caracters.

You will definetely laugh !

The episodes are quickly viewed, the dialogues are smart and the quality of the DVD is very good. I think this DVD is a good choice. I look forward to the Season Two episodes.
on January 26, 2004
Format: DVD
Readers, when you purchase this dvd, put on the pilot episode (entitled "Man About The House"), and fast - foward to the scene were Chrissy Snow (Suzanne Somers) finds Jack Tripper (John Ritter) asleep in the bathtub, drenched in water. It is not only one of the funniest moments in tv history, but the scene that shows what a genius Ritter really was.
The release of "Three's Company" on dvd is a bittersweet event for the show's fan. While it's great to have this piece of television history to watch anytime you'd like, it's also sad because comes just months after John Ritter's shocking and untimely death. But as a tribute to his life and career, it's great to have.
And I'm not saying that Ritter was the only actor who made the people laugh. Somers and Joyce DeWitt (Janet Wood) set up most of the gags that happened on the show, and sometimes outdid Ritter. And who can forget the late Norman Fell and Audra Lindley as Mr. Roper and his sex - hungry wife Helen. Their one -liners against each other were every bit as funny as Ritter getting smashed by a door or Somers delivering one of her stupid comments. Making an early appearance is Larry, played flawlessly by the highly underrated Richard Kline. He appears briefly in "No Children, No Dogs".
As for the episodes, the pilot is an absolute classic. "No Children, No Dogs" and "It's Only Money" are excellent as well (the former features some of the best insluts between Helen and Stanley). As for the other three, they are good too, but not worth mentioning.
My only gripe about this dvd is that there are no extras. No advertisements or a making - of documentary. I do not know if Anchor Bay meant to do this right from the start or they did out of respect for John Ritter. But it doesn't matter, since the complete second season is coming out on dvd in March and is supposed to be loaded with extra. Until then, this will keep you satisfid for a long time and you'll remember that three's company, too.