4.0 out of 5 stars Complete, Healthier Way of Eating/Cooking
The Thrive energy cookbook focuses on recipes that create "cost free energy" - easy to digest but with all the nutrients needed for peak physical fitness, lowered stress, and to have energy throughout the day (rather than highs and lows from processed food).

Published 8 months ago by Talvi

3.0 out of 5 stars Clean eats but so time-consuming!
Let me start by saying I respect Brendan Brazier. I have followed him and his progresses and discoveries on clean vegan nutrition for years. I am a firm believer that we need to clean up our diets and that natural sourced foods are the way to go for a better health, disease prevention, and for... thriving!
However, as good as his recipes look or sound like, they also...
Published 8 months ago by S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clean eats but so time-consuming!, March 9, 2014
S. (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes (Paperback)
However, as good as his recipes look or sound like, they also are time-, energy-, and money-consuming. The ingredients for the recipes are often exotic and hard to find at your local grocery store (even at a co-op or natural store). You will have to go through three markets (including probably an Asian one) to find all for the coconut lime lemongrass soup as tempting as it is! Also for the spice mixes, you will have to find powdered reiki, or echinea and astralagus.
At last, his desserts and drinks recipes sound oh! so yummy, but come on! ...I need a high speed blender, slow-speed juice extractor, and high-speed juicer! I can't even start to think about making a green juice following his mighty king chlorophyll juice!
To sum up, I would say it's a great book with amazing, tasty, healthy recipes for people who have a lot of time and quite some money on hand and live in big cities where health stores flourish.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this more., March 17, 2014
I really wanted to love this book. I am still not completely vegan but I don't eat dairy or land animals at all and have been transitioning for the last few months to a whole foods diet and thought this book could be a good fit.

He means transitioning if you are still used to eating burgers and want fake meat and cheese! There are so many burger recipes in this that use the same aioli and the same sprouted buns over and over again. Plus wraps. I think he just made the sauces so complicated to justify a wrap recipe. One burger recipe consists of 5 different recipes. Same goes for desserts. Incredibly long ingredient lists--one cheesecake recipe says prep time is only 20 minutes. It took me 20 minutes just to read the recipe!

I love to cook and probably spend 2 hours a day cooking and some of these recipes are so ridiculously complicated in their ingredients, preparation, and time that I don't even want to tackle them. Also, I was surprisingly turned off by all the photos of him running and bicycling. He comes across as a total ego-maniac. (It's as bad as the mommy bloggers that get cookbook deals and then put a zillion photos of their children in their cookbooks.)

In short:
If you want an adventure and have a high-speed blender, this is the book for you.

If you have a busy life and not a lot of time or have apprehension in the kitchen, probably not a good book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complete, Healthier Way of Eating/Cooking, March 4, 2014

The recipes break down into: transition (for those who are starting a Thrive diet and more accustomed to traditional eating patterns/foods), Raw (recipes where the ingredients haven't been heated above 118f), gluten free, protein rich, and super nutrient dense (number of calories in relation to the nutrients).

The book details staples - the items every pantry should have available as a basis for many recipes. Those pages are color coded for easy reference. They includes discussions on oils, vinegars, nuts, rice, wheats, beans, and more. Also included (and with color coded pages) are recipes for other staples.

The book has 150 plant based whole food recipes. They are ordered by morning, appetizers, sandwiches, soupls, salads, rice and noodles, smoothies, deserts, and sports recipes. Recipes include: Pad Thai Sauce, Reuben Sandwich, Falafel Wrap, Portobello Burger, Caesar Sprout Salad, Tropical Breeze (drink), even Creamy Chocolate-Avacado delight.

As can be seen from the list, there is a wide variety of recipes, many of which are plant-based alternatives to the common versions. The sports recipes are nutrient rich and intended to be eaten shortly before, during, or after exercise.

At the back of the book are meal plans that use the recipes (each recipe has its page referenced for ease of look up). They included transitional, standard, and athletic meal plans. And there is an ingredients index to make shopping easier.

Some recipes have been hits with our family and some misses. It does take a realignment of how one views food - from a pleasure to a necessity. As such, I feel this book is much better for athletes/athletic minded individuals rather than emotional eaters or kids (as much as we'd like them to eat well, it just won't happen).

Received as an ARC from the publisher.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., March 16, 2014
I am a huge fan of Brendan Brazier and I loved his Thrive Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life, but I have to say I am quite disappointed in the Thrive Energy Cookbook. The description on the back of the book states "Recipes are all allergen-free (or with gluten-free options) to eliminate wheat, yeast, gluten, soy, refined sugar, and dairy from your diet." Many of the recipes say "gluten-free option", but then never state what that option would be. One can assume to replace sprouted bread with gluten-free bread, but it probably should state that. Now what about the claim to eliminate yeast? I'm pretty sure all of Silver Hills gluten-free bread, which is the frequently recommended substitute, has yeast in it. Or then there are the recipes which use miso or tempeh, which is made from soybeans! I was also sad to see Wildwood Zesty garlic Aioli included in several of the recipes. The first ingredient is canola oil and it contains soy protein. Do we really consider these plant-based, whole food ingredients? How about creating a cashew garlic aioli from scratch instead or using a homemade hummus? I do appreciate that he labels a lot of these recipes as "transition", which is helpful if you are new to clean eating.

I think the description that "recipes are ALL allergen-free" is a false claim, especially when it states specific allergens. If you are looking for an allergy friendly cookbook, this is not the one. If you're looking for some new plant-based recipes, there are some good ones in there and the pictures are great, but I think the original Thrive book had many more truly plant-based, whole food recipes. I was very disappointed in this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Vegan Cookbook on the Market, March 9, 2014
As a vegan author, I love to cook. But only when the recipes are quick, clean and easily digestible. So many plant-based cookbooks have ingredient lists a mile long, are full of soy and processed items and are just too involved. I've been a follower of Brendan since Thrive, and these recipes are by far the best he's ever put out.

The recipes have short lists, clean, easy-to-find ingredients and very simple instructions. For those who love to sprout and soak their nuts and seeds, you can always take these recipes a step further by germinating, dehydrating, etc. But if you really want to eat clean food that tastes GOOD, these recipes nail that objective simply.

I love the "athlete" section for those who want good pre and post-workout food. So often, we don't know what to eat around our workouts and the book offers some simple, delicious solutions.

Even if you've never eaten plant-based, these recipes are perfect for any palette (however resistant you might be to "healthy" foods). As a 15 year vegan and an athlete all my life, this book is what I've been waiting for.

Because even when we're healthy, we can get into ruts eating the same things again and again. Thrive Energy breaks us out of that rut - for good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing a Key Ingredient, March 27, 2014
The recipes are enjoyable to explore and, so far, the tastes have been pleasant. But there is a key ingredient missing, vital to vegan athletes--the nutritional values and energy content of the meals. In contrast to a few other outstanding cookbooks for athletes, the missing key ingredient makes it much less likely to be used, particularly during long training cycles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean Eating Can Include Chocolate!, March 7, 2014
My copy of Brendan Brazier's first cookbook, Thrive Foods, is so over-used that the pages are all bent and there are food stains on the cover. So I was confident that his second cookbook would not disappoint. The recipes are delicious and easy to prepare. And creative! Delicious summer soups like Chilled Watermelon Thai Basil Soup and Cucumber, Avocado and Mint Soup. His Rice Bowl recipes are a favorite of both my teenager and my husband. And my two year old loves the smoothies --which can also sustain triathletes! The deserts are also amazing. This cookbook is a fantastic blueprint for clean eating that is incredibly delicious, appealing to the whole family and easy to prepare when we are trying to manage busy lives with full time jobs and kids but maintain a healthy lifestyle. WAY TO GO BRENDAN BRAZIER!

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy his earlier books instead!, July 31, 2014
I love Brendan's earlier books such as Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance. That book has great information and useful recipes. He went Hollywood in this book. Most of these recipes call for his 'products' as an ingredient. It's more gloss than it is substance.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brendan Sold-Out his concept on this cookbook, April 19, 2014
This is NOT a Thrive Energy Cookbook,,,, it is a Cookbook yes, but laden with so much fat and oil that it is hardly healthy at all. Brendan's first book offered better information. Basically, Brendan rehashes how he came up with his foods,,, then he tells about a guy who opened a restaurant, using the name THRIVE and Brendan eventually becomes partners with the guy. I suspect that the guy got the right to call his restaurant THRIVE in exchange for the recipes in this book. If you are looking for recipes that are equal to eating a block of cacao butter with cacao mixed in,,, call it a "transition food" then this is your book. What is sad, is Joe Public reads this and thinks they can eat all this and sit on a couch and "get healthy". The amount of fat in these recipes will cause damage even to Brendan! Again, his first and second book were worth the read and offer great suggestions. This book, sadly, made me lose belief that Brendon has a conviction for good health and a stronger conviction for a good bank account.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for all life styles, June 4, 2014
This book is worth it's weight in gold and then some!!!! Great tasting and quick recipes from start to finish. I would expect nothing less from Brendan Brazier. This book is worth purchasing immediately, whether you have read Brendan's other books or not, whether you are an athlete or not, whether you live on a plant based diet or you still consume dairy and meat. Anyone and everyone will benefit from purchasing this book. I know people who eat meat and dairy and those who don't who went out and purchased this book after I told them of the great recipes I have tried in it and after they have browsed through the book. They were all very happy after they made the purchase!

Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes by Brendan Brazier (Paperback - March 4, 2014)
$22.99 $17.01