5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Action and Intrigue
Published on August 31, 2011 by Kale

3.0 out of 5 stars Review From Gypsy Book Reviews
Published on September 6, 2011 by Ashelynn Hetland

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Action and Intrigue, August 31, 2011
This review is from: The Gray Wolf Throne (A Seven Realms Novel) (Seven Realms Novels) (Hardcover)
Raisa, the would-be queen of the Fells is having a hard time getting home. Of course anyone could see how the constant assault of assassins would pose such difficultly. But Raisa is determined to ensure her place in the succession of the throne. Yet there are still quite a few factions that would love nothing better than to seat a more malleable queen in power and they're coming pretty bloody close to achieving that goal.

Their greatest obstacle is Han Alister. Despite his feelings of betrayal over Raisa's assumed identity, Han has managed to repeatedly save Raisa's life. Alister is doing more than playing the white knight, he's shaking things up at court applying his streetlord savvy to the high stakes games of royal politics.

Raisa is assembling a group of trusty advisers while Han is putting together a new crew. Both have different objectives. In the end will their desires heal the world or end up shattering it all over again.

The Gray Wolf Throne was a real joy to read. Raisa's and Han's separate journeys finally converge in romantic and spectacular fashion. You really get to see the glimpses of greatness Raisa showed in the previous books as a future ruler come to life. We also had a reality check in the problems facing the neglected kingdom. Everything seemed to be broken from the out of work peasants to the prejudices between wizards, valefolk, and the clans. Trouble's not just brewing within the Fells but outside them as well and it's only a matter of time before the fight ends up on Raisa's doorstep. We also get to see Han use his extensive knowledge base. Han's magical training serves him well in flashy displays, and physical attacks. He uses his etiquette lessons to navigate the nobility and play his wizard role. Alister's employs his street wise education to maneuver through politics and become a real player at court. All these things add up to an absolutely wonderful read. Cinda Williams Chima doesn't disappoint.

Full of action and intrigue The Gray Wolf Throne is like the Tudors and Game of Thrones for the younger fantasy fan sect.

5.0 out of 5 stars This sequel will have you scrounging for more., August 30, 2011
Holy crap. Absolutely fantastic. Crap, crap, crap. Why crap? Because after THE DEMON KING and THE EXILED QUEEN, what do I have left to say?

The world is still as utterly fantastic as it's always been. Richly colored and full of life, Chima hasn't let it slip by as a sacrifice to the greater plot. It still plays its role magnificently, hanging out just on the edge of the background and foreground, being its own character but knowing when not to be overwhelming.

I'm all for Han and Raisa but there was a piece of me that rooted for Raisa and Amon too, despite how implausible (even more so than her and Han) the relationship was. It did end up going down the route it was destined to go down (as intoned in the second book, the Byrnes are not about to break the line any time soon, 1,000 years of history supports that). Even though it went where it was supposed to go, I couldn't help but feel a little bit sad. For as long as it was pushed off, the harsh reality could be ignored. No more and it was a bit of a hard pill to swallow. But they both swallowed it because they had to.

The mounting tension between Raisa and Han is just phenomenal. When he finds out just who Raisa is, it's heartbreaking. You want to tear through the pages and slap some sense into him but it's Han. He's far too steadfast for something like that. But they're forced together anyway (in a more professional manner) so any ill will Han does have towards Raisa he's forced to swallow it back for the greater good.

But Han's resilient. He knows full well he's being used but he flips the situation to his advantage. He finds all of the holes that would end up benefiting him while performing his duties and he takes them. He makes sure that he plugs those holes with his desires first and foremost. You can't help but be impressed by someone like that. He holds his own against the bluebloods and he deserves some respect for that.

Raisa is still infinitely awesome. After multiple attempts on her life she continues to land on her feet. Like Han, she's fully aware that she's being used by everyone around her, not to mention being underestimated constantly (bad on those doing it) but she's had enough political upbringing to view things from all sides. She doesn't make hasty decisions and knows strategy like no seventeen-year-old does. I don't feel like I'm reading about someone so young but about someone even older than me for how she holds herself. I love her more and more with every book.

And the ending? Cruel to the point of barbarism. If I'm not mistaken there's one more book in the series yet to come out. How long do I have to wait for that one???

If you haven't started reading this series yet, you really need to get on it. It's such a relatable, engaging high fantasy novel that I think even someone that isn't the biggest fan of fantasy will get pulled right into it. Sure there's magic and wizards and a whole new world but it's about the people, first and foremost. And the people are just so dynamic and intriguing that you won't want to take your eyes off of them. THE GRAY WOLF THRONE is a fantastic piece of the SEVEN REALMS puzzle. This series just keeps getting better and better. I'm going to have to create a sixth bite rating for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING SERIES, September 1, 2011
I have to start by saying that I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series!! The Seven Realms books are by far some of the best books out there!

The Gray Wolf Throne pretty much picks up where the Exiled Queen left off which was nice because we didn't miss anything. Cinda Williams Chima is one heck of a storyteller!! The details in the book made me feel at times like I was really there in the mountains and traveling with Raisa on her journey to the throne. I love the world of the Seven Realms and love that there is an amazing story with politics to boot. While reading the Gray Wolf Throne I could definitely see the story being set up for the last installment. I'm gritting my teeth in anticipation I seriously can NOT wait to read the conclusion to the story!!

I loved that all our favorite characters were back. Han (sighs) is amazing... I was hoping to read just a tad more about him in this book along with Crow, but I feel like all the writing that we were allowed to read is setting us up for one heck of a final book/battle! I loved that Dancer and Cat were back as well as Amon (sighs again... poor Amon, I love him). I'm definitely curious to see the part Micah will play in the last book... I've not totally made up my mind about whether he'll turn out to be a good person or not. Can't wait to see some characters get what they deserve and find out the mysteries still left untold. I don't want to give away spoilers so I feel limited to what I can say... but let me tell you, if you haven't read this series you are seriously missing out!!

Cinda Williams Chima, you are more than welcome to send me a copy of the last book (to proof read of course) lol. I'm so excited for the last book, just sad I have to wait for it to come out :'( This series is hands down one to buy, you will NOT regret the investment!! I made the mistake of borrowing the first two from the library, then had to go out and buy my own copies so I could read them again and again... I can't rave enough about these books, love them, love the author, love the storytelling, setting, fantasy, romance, mystery and so much more.... AMAZING book!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this series!, October 9, 2011
First things first, I love the covers for this series - they are fantastic. The vibrant colors and the detailing on the cover art make them stand out.

Now, moving on to what lay inside the covers. Cinda William Chima's Seven Realms series is one of my ultimate favorites. When I first pick up The Demon King about a year ago, I devoured it and quickly moved on to The Exiled Queen. At that point, I could not wait to get my hands on The Gray Wolf Throne. When I originally started The Gray Wolf Throne, I thought that it was the last book of the series. Once I finished, I was full of despair. How could the series end like that? What happened with the characters? Come to find out, Cinda "was on page 576 and nothing was resolved." (source) So, we get a fourth book! I have mixed feelings on this. Of course, I'm saddened by the fact that I have to wait another year to finish the story. Overall, my joy comes out on top. This series is so fantastic and I love that the books are so bulky... I will gladly wait another year to get another great book from Cinda.

The Gray Wolf Throne is full of everything I love about Cinda's Seven Realms series: Lush setting, just enough romance, endless adventure and sensational character development.

TGWT picks up closely to where TEQ left off. Raisa has escaped from Micah and Fiona Bayer and is now trying to decide what to do. Should she return home? Will anyone else hunt her down? Will Han come after her? While Han's journey is centered on trying to find Raisa, as well as fulfill his obligations to others.

I felt like Raisa really grew in this installment. She was much more bold and more comfortable in her skin. She's beginning to understand what duty truly means in her shoes and of course, she's realizing what exactly love is. Raisa loves her queendom and has such a passion for those around her, she wants to help everyone. Unfortunately, as she is coming to find, sometimes duty has to come before love. In which case, things don't look so good for Han.

On the other hand, Han is used to being ruthless and he's not giving up on Raisa yet. TGWT throws quite a few wrenches into Han's plans, but he usually finds his way around them. What I love about Han is his tenacity. He is a fighter and he does not know the meaning of giving up or giving in.

The only downside I found was the lack of interaction between Han and Raisa. As much as I would have loved a little more romance between the two, I would have really just liked to see more of Han altogether. The Gray Wolf Throne is a bit more centered on Raisa and a bulk of the story is told from her POV.

Overall, Cinda had me anxiously turning pages - or pressing the right arrow key on my laptop, rather - and sitting on the edge of my seat just waiting to find out what would happen to my beloved characters. The plot and the pace were better than ever, full of mystery and intrigue. The Gray Wolf Throne does not disappoint, it definitely has it all. Full of betrayal, heartbreak, tragedy and intrigue - a definite page-turner. Pick this one up, you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alister Rocks!, August 31, 2011
I purchased this book yesterday and I just could not put it down. If I could have read the book while I was driving I would have done so as well. This book has it all, murder, mystery, magic, intrigue, and romance. I highly recommend all of Mrs. Chima's books. She is a gifted writer with the ability to draw you into the storyline and make you feel as if you are right there with each charter. I cannot wait for the next book to this series to come out in 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Review From Gypsy Book Reviews, September 6, 2011
Ugh. Ugh. UGH. I don't know what to think of THE GRAY WOLF THRONE. I was swept up in the world (I have been since the very beginning with THE DEMON KING!) but this book... it felt like a filler book. I say this because it doesn't have a conclusion. Did the others? Kinda, not really, but this book it really felt like it was a filler book. I was so mad that it ended without knowing who was trying to kill Queen Raisa!

But holy crap was I swept up in the world. I have a feeling that Chima is one of those authors whose motto is "Nobody is safe" and the fourth book is going to be terrifying! All three have been already, and when Raisa was near death, I was biting my fingernails (which I don't do. Ick.)

God, my emotions were everywhere with this book. Especially when it finally sunk in that Raisa and Han will never be together. *sob sob* I hope they are able to be together; there is some serious tension between them. And I really love it when my emotions are thrown around.

I am excited for the fourth book to come. I hope there will be ARCs of it so I can read it early like I did with THE GRAY WOLF THRONE. But I'm saddened to think of this series ending.

My only wish is there was some sort of conclusion to this book. I felt, no, I feel like I'm still falling from that cliff.

*Warning: this book takes it to the next level. And by next level, I mean more romance, more action, and more heart-clenching. You've been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series just gets better and better!, January 23, 2012
This is a fantastic addition to a series that has become one of my all-time favorites. Excellent, well-written and engaging YA high fantasy is rare, but this series just nails it on the head.

There is so much to love about the book. Han and Raisa's complicated relationship is so full of deliciously palatable tension that I could just slurp up with a straw. (How's that for a visual?) Han himself is one of the few "bad boys" that I just want to root for. His sad and rather broken past, and the fact that he's being used by those around him just makes me want to run to his comfort. Not that he needs or wants me.

Raisa is a proud, strong-willed girl that has grown through the series from kind of a bratty princess into a elegant queen that means business. This book contains a lot more of the court intrigue that may bore some readers, but I loved it! One thing that keeps me coming back to a story is a compelling backstory, and this series has it. There is a lot to keep track of with the Clans, The Queen's Guard, and those conniving Wizards. (Including a death that made me gasp, and shake the book just a little). But, it makes the story so rich and lovely. But, rather like a piece of rich dark chocolate cake, the taste isn't for everyone.

Let me put it this way. It's not every book that makes me a shaking blob of jello. I recommend this book highly to everyone that I know who likes fantasy. It's a series worth investing in. I have great hopes that The Crimson Crown is going to be a thrilling and epic end to the series. And, may I suggest that you try the books out on audio or reading aloud? It adds another element to the story that I think you'll really enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms Book 3), August 4, 2014
I came upon this series by accident. I had seen the cover o the books and well, I judged it by the cover. I was still mourning the loss of the previous series I had read, it coming to an end. This series/book really gipped me. I was enthralled by the way it just seemed to flow. I cant believe that this was as good as it is. After I read the first book, I couldn't stop myself from reading the second. It was a refreshing change to have something out of the ordinary. I hope that she will continue writing these books. The third was great and left alot of questions, the perfect "cliff hanger". Onto the last book, Great writing and series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent story, but slower paced than the first two books, December 21, 2014
The third installment in the series was good, but slower than the others. There were intense moments and some solid character changes, but there were also entire scenes of characters pining--nothing happened by the end of the scene--and many scenes of parties and ceremonies, again where nothing changed at all.

It didn't even end with any conflict or cause or questions left open. I'm glad I read it. I'll probably read the next in the series. But I'm going to switch to other books for a time and come back.

3.0 out of 5 stars A review of the series...so far, January 23, 2012
Maybe not the target audience (mid-20's male), but this had such great reviews that I picked it up. This is my opinion of the first 3 books in the series:

First, this is young adult fiction, which in this case means easy reading, but also telegraphed plot lines. EVERY single big plot twist was immediately apparent, even before the author began to try and make the reader start guessing. She also often reminds the reader what has happened (having characters have unspoken thoughts that are direct quotes of previous passages in the books), which I considered unnecessary in this relatively simplistic plot. I esp. hated one of the last chapters in book 2 (although so far I'd say book 2 was still probably the strongest) which read like a BBC miniseries preview to next weeks episode. In terms of world building, I feel like the author has a giant story that she somehow fit into Kansas city (i.e. the world feels small for the grandeur of the story).

On a more positive note, overall it reads easily, has a well planned story line (if a little obvious where it's going), decent romance triangles, a few really well written action sequences, and good build up of suspense. There are so many areas that she could really expand upon (e.g. the jinxflinger council), that I am looking forward to the last book, and I plan on finishing out the series. Overall though, because of how predictable the story has been, and because of weaknesses in building a realm of 7 kingdoms (really you have only learned about 3-4, and only one very well), I have to give give this a rating of 3.75/5.

The Gray Wolf Throne (A Seven Realms Novel) (Seven Realms Novels)
The Gray Wolf Throne (A Seven Realms Novel) (Seven Realms Novels) by Cinda Williams Chima (Hardcover - August 30, 2011)
$17.99 $13.78