5.0 out of 5 stars Full-Throttle Action
Stephen King never disappoints with his short stories, and this one, co-authored with his son Joe Hill, is no exception. I'm guessing this tale of bikers was somewhat inspired by his fandom of "Sons of Anarchy". As the summary reveals, it was also inspired by Richard Matheson's classic "Duel".

On the surface, there is not much to like about this group of...
Published on April 18, 2012 by Clarice Marchman-Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure about this one...
First let me say that I am the King's second biggest fan. I also appreciate Joe Hill's work.

I love Matheson's work and realize that he was a huge influence in Stephen King's (and I'm sure Joe's) life. Duel was not my favorite work. I prefer psychological thrillers and horror.

Throttle, of course, was extremely well written. No question about...
Published on April 17, 2012 by MommaCat

5.0 out of 5 stars Full-Throttle Action, April 18, 2012
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)

On the surface, there is not much to like about this group of grizzled outlaw bikers - especially after learning of their most recent "incident". It's actually hard to pull for either side - the bikers have done evil things and the trucker seems to be a cold-blooded, anonymous murderer. This is a story without heroes. But even though I could never decide whether I wanted the bikers to get away from the trucker or not, the full-throttle action kept me riveted. King and Hill managed to provide a slow reveal of character development and back-story in this otherwise high-octane narrative. Eventually, near the end of the story, I begin to care about *everyone* - even the anonymous trucker - and THAT is what makes the ending so tragic and this short story so brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jumped right on in for under a buck!, May 3, 2012
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This was my first Kindle Single, and when I saw who the authors were I did not waste a second in ordering "Throttle" (especially when you consider it only cost $0.99). I love Stephen King, and while I have not read any of Joe's material, I have heard of him and know that King is his father. What a combo. The subject mater was just icing on the cake for me. A biker story as a homage to Duel: Terror Stories by Richard Matheson by Richard Matheson? Who could pass this one up? I enjoyed this short story and was amazed at how much story Stephen and Joe packed into this "single".

4.0 out of 5 stars My first exposure to Joe Hill, May 16, 2012
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't read anything by Joe Hill prior to reading Throttle. Truth be told, I don't know what he wrote here so I guess, technically, I still haven't really read Joe Hill.

I was looking for something to read for an hour after a long day and this fit perfectly.

Throttle was a fun, fast-paced read. Even though I should have known how it would end (there is no "twist," per se), it still caught me off guard. If you like a bit of family drama with your thriller you'll probably enjoy this short story. I give it 4 stars because, while it was good, there were a few moments (phrasings, words) when I thought, "Really? Did adults write this?" It wasn't enough to distract from the whole experience, but it was enough to detract a star none-the-less.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crank the Throttle, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
Throttle is a Kindle Single by Stephen King and his son Joseph Hillstrom King (Joe Hill). The two writers collaborated on this work inspired by the short story, Duel, by Richard Matheson originally published in Playboy in 1971. Both the original short story and this Single tell the tale of road rage involving the driver of a semi-truck pursuing other motorists on winding back roads. In this story, an oil tanker driver relentlessly pursues outlaw bikers after he overhears them talking about murdering two meth dealers. The leader of the small "tribe" of outlaws, Vince, is a Vietnam War combat veteran. His son Race rides with the group and is a combat veteran of the Iraq War. The major difference between the two vets is that Vince was honorably discharged while his son's discharge from the military was dishonorable. Race had driven away from his fellow soldiers in combat to save himself. The love-hate relationship between the two men is a major theme of the story. The cat and mouse pursuit and ensuing mayhem are exciting and the surprise ending is predictable but satisfying. The final resolution of tension in the father-son relationship is poignant and will produce a visceral reaction in readers. This is a good work of fiction well worth the low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highway to Hell, August 22, 2013
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
What would happen if two of the best television shows on cable right now (Sons of Anarchy & Breaking Bad) were put into a blender by two of the best writers working right now (Stephen King and his progeny, Joe Hill), one of whom then hit frappe? Well, ladies and gents, you would get "Throttle," a visceral homage to Richard Matheson's "Duel" that, by God, is almost as good as the iconic short story it's aping.

Plot is fairly basic: A close-knit motorcycle gang called the Tribe, led by a constantly feuding father/son duo (think Jax Teller and Clay Morrow if the personalities were reversed), is making its way through the Southwest after a drug deal gone violently bad. They inadvertently offend a psychotic long-haul trucker, who then proceeds to pick the bikers off one by one using his massive eighteen-wheeler. Blood, guts, twisted metal, and foul-mouthed B-action/horror movie hijinks ensue.

"Throttle" is a fast, dirty piece of work that is just the perfect length. Is it the best thing these writers have written? Far from it. Then again, it's not trying to be. This is the literary version of "grindhouse," boys and girls; fun, gory entertainment. The only way it differs from those old, washed out drive-in movie blood-baths of the late 60s and 70s is that "Throttle", for better or worse, actually has somewhat of a heart, which just acts as a total cherry on the top of an already delicious sundae.

This story was originally published in an anthology paying tribute to the late, great Matheson, and is the only story in the collection which even a reader not totally familiar with Matheson's oeuvre can enjoy. It works as an homage, and as a stand-alone story too. Give this bad boy a download, and remember to always check your side-views. In the meantime, enjoy the ride!

4.0 out of 5 stars king gets it, May 3, 2012
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
its always about human relationships with king really, just wrapped in horror; its a good solid king story worth buying, especially for the price; even if your not a big king fan; this is a good read

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so sure about this one..., April 17, 2012
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)

Throttle, of course, was extremely well written. No question about that. You will need to have a Fire or read it online to fully appreciate this short story. There are several color pictures, graphic novel types, to enhance the story telling experience.

Fans of this type of story will give it a straight up five stars. I wish I could. It's just not my style. Sorry Steve and Joe. Next one for me, please?

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe Hill, March 26, 2013
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I am a 64 y.o.a male& i say that to explain my feelings about J Hill. It strikes me that he writes like the old writers. There just seems to be a depth to him that you don't find in many of the new younger writers. Thanx Joe for reaching way down in yourself & letting that ole soul kind of advise over your shoulder. kzsoul

5.0 out of 5 stars Full throttle ahead!, April 28, 2013
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
I love just about anything of which Stephen King is a part. I have read just about everything he has had published, but have moved on to other authors while waiting for the next book from the Stephen King Library, a book club of which I am a member. When I saw this collaboration with Joe Hill, I was drawn to it out of curiosity. I wanted to see if I could pick the parts of the story that King wrote from those Hill wrote. I only found one or two places that seemed to qualify. That made me want to read more by Hill (without abandoning King, of course). I'd like to read more of the two of them writing together. What they have written here is a very good short story, full of action and suspense to the very end. I even sympathized with the two or three main hard-shelled biker characters toward the end. All in all a good quick read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Salute to "Duel", May 11, 2012
This review is from: Throttle (Kindle Single) (Kindle Edition)
This short story is well-crafted in the clean style of King's other pieces of work, even if there is a slightly different feel to it, most likely from the input of his son, Joe Hill. Regardless, it reads and flows well.

This story is a salute to Richard Matheson's "Duel," with many of the same literary devices being used. In itself, it is a story of the "Tribe," a mostly aging motorcycle gang, and an anonymous truck driver. The Tribe had pulled into a diner parking lot after returning from a meth lab where things had gone pretty wrong, and the truck driver parked there may or may not have overheard what had transpired. After the Tribe ate, they got back on the road only to have the truck driver show up and start his assault on the gang.

No one in this story is a "good guy." The Tribe's members are criminals, and they have done some horrific things. There is conflict between the members themselves. And the truck driver is really only an arm with "Death Before Dishonor" tattooed on it, hanging out the open window.

The prose is crisp and direct, the action well-described. Characterization does not suffer as it sometimes does in other short stories.

I did have two issues with the story, one major and one minor. The minor one is a pet peeve of mine. A grenade pin really cannot be readily pulled out with a person's teeth. This is pure Hollywood. The major issue is the fact that a Peterbuilt truck can overtake large motorcycles. In "Duel," the car being driven was a Plymouth Valiant, so yes, it was conceivable that that story's Peterbuilt could do what it did. But in "Throttle," I am not sure any truck could really not only keep up, but track down powerful bikes. I realize that the truck had to be able to do this for the story to work, but it still bothered me.

Overall, I think this was a fine read, and a fitting salute to Matheson's short story. I recommend it.

Throttle (Kindle Single)