5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the only essential book for psychiatrists, psychologists, and psychotherapists of any stripe, August 23, 2013
C. Morgan (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Through Paediatrics to Psycho-Analysis (Hardcover)
Among the most brilliant essays on human development and clinical treatment ever written. Savor these words, even if a few can seem antiquated at times. Delight in the wisdom, poetry, and enduring applicability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Psycho-Analysis, December 11, 2005
This review is from: Through Paediatrics to Psycho-Analysis (Hardcover)
This book collects together various contributions that I have addressed to scientific audiences.

The student will not turn to these pages for instruction in basic psychoanalytic conncepts and techniques. A knowledge of these I was able to take for granted since my audience was composed chiefly of analysts. I have been concerned with putting forward my own point of view and testing out my own ideas as they came to me in the course of my clinical work.

My clinical experience has been varied. I have never cut loose from paediatric practrice which was my starting point. It has been valuable to me to keep in touch with social pressure, which I have had to meet as a physician at a children's hospital. Also I have enjoyed the constant challenge of private practice and the therapeutic consultaton. These interests have provided me with an opportunity for applying in a general way what I have at the same time been learning through the practice of psycho-analysis proper.

My hope is that this book will show that paediatrics is one of the legitimate ways into psycho-analysis, and indeed a good one.

It has been found convenient to group the papers into three sections. In the first are reprinted two chapters from an earlier book (Winnicott, 1931), now out of print, and in these chapters is represented my attitude as a paediatrician prior to my training in psycho-analysis. I wrote as a paediatrician to paediatricians.

The papers in the second section can be recognized as coming from a paediatrician - one, however, who has become psycho-analytically orientated.

The third section is my personal contribution to current psycho-analytic theory and practice. --from book's preface

Through Paediatrics to Psycho-Analysis
Through Paediatrics to Psycho-Analysis by D. W. Winnicott (Hardcover - 1975)
Used & New from: $28.00