1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference for Cinema, Media Studies, Poli Sci and Journalism Majors, August 30, 2011
This review is from: Through the Western Lens: Serbian Media Representation and the Politics of Identity in the Era of Globalization (Paperback)
I read this book and used it as a reference for my MA thesis. Focusing on global news media and its role in shaping public perceptions of "others," I developed an interest in how Western information outlets represent "foreign" nations that come into conflict with world military powers, and how these generated representations influence public opinion on foreign policy. Having grown up during the '90's with the fall of communism and the violent disolution of Yugoslavia playing out on the television news, I was especially interested in the representations of eastern European nations and people during this crucial time (I also talked about Middle Eastern countries and their populations, but that was another section).

My thesis analyzed a number of different global case studies from the 1970's to the 1990's; for the section on the Balkans, I used the author's essay on prime time war coverage and its ability to set the moral perspective of a conflict to outside audiences. His reference is specific to the Yugoslav Civil War of the 1990's, and presents a very clear example of how corporate media organizations used manipulated imagery, selective language, and questionable parallels to create the categories of enemy, victim, agressor and saviour, thus ultimately ignoring the details and nuance of a specific military and social conflict.

This collection of essays is a compilation from an MA graduate in world cinema studies, but is has wide appeal because it focuses on culture, politics, and information systems in a good balance. I had a difficult time finding a source on mass media representation and the dissolution of Yugoslavia, but this book came through as a good find for that need.

Rate and Discover Movies