5.0 out of 5 stars This is a delightful visit to world you wish you lived in.
Published on February 12, 1997

1.0 out of 5 stars Thrush Green Kindle
I love the books of Miss Read, however, this book and the next were filled with typos on every single page. Very bad quality.
Published on May 14, 2012 by nothing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a delightful visit to world you wish you lived in., February 12, 1997
By A Customer
As all Miss Read fans know, each of her Thrush Green and Fairacre novels are a visit to a world they wish they could live in. "Thrush Green" is the first of the series that takes the reader into the life and world of the inhabitants of this fictional Cotswold village. The characters are charming, eccentric or curmudgeonly in their turn, but always diverting and entertaining. Miss Read's fictional world is not without trials and tribulations, but like life itself, inevitably goes on its way and all comes out right in the end. Treat yourself to a visit to a place where your cares are behind you and the diversion is a pleasant one

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the world of Thrush Green., July 15, 1999
By A Customer
Thrush Green is one of Miss Read's best. I would love to be able to purchase all of her books in a paperback set. Her books are so wonderful you want to savour them again and again. Please reprint them all! With the increased interest with her type of storytelling as we see with Jan Karon's popularity, Miss Read would be cherished as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Read books should have 10 stars!, March 13, 2001
I found Miss Read through an avid reader friend (PLB) as we were comparing notes about Jan Karon's writing style. She informed me Jan Karon was partially inspired by Miss Read. From the moment I read this book, my first Miss Read, I was hooked! These books (all 20+) need to be put back into print! I wish I could live in this fictional Cotswold village. The characters are charming and entertaining. Treat yourself to a pleasant diversion into another life, another time... of course, along with a cuppa!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another fine story on the continued search, October 31, 2003
"middlemarch6" (In the Northern Woods) - See all my reviews
Here is another author one can go to if you have already exhausted Van Reid's heartwarming and rollicking Moosepath novels, and also Jan Karon's sweet tempered Mitford series. Don't expect as many surprising incidents as in Mr. Reid's books (who could top the melancholy pig in "Mrs. Roberto"?)or as much romance as Ms. Karon's, but do expect some very cozy people in the small circumstances of life made large by a very good writer. Here it's kneeling cushions and crotchety parishioners. Lots of reassuring fun in a world that seems to value old fashioned values less and less.

5.0 out of 5 stars always a pleasure, August 30, 2005
If you are new to Miss Read books, you can start anywhere in any of the series and find pure enjoyment. If you wish to go to a place where life is friendly but with its ups and downs, where the characters become friends you will grow to love, and the descriptions are warm and inviting, then these are the books for you.

If you are a fan of Jan Karon books, then you are in for a real treat, as Jan's books are warm and inviting but nothing in comparison to Miss Read.

If you have had a stressful day, or feeling down or alone, or want some relaxing peace and quiet, then you must buy Miss Read. I have read all her books and all are wonderful with characters you will remember for years to come and yes, even find similar to people you know in real life.

So prepare for a cozy evening, grab a Miss Read book and prepare to have the time fly. One can't say enough about these books.

Thrush Green is only one beginning!

5.0 out of 5 stars News from Miss Read, November 8, 2005
Serafin (toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I've corresponded on and off over the last few years with Mrs. Dora Saint, our "Miss Read", and had the pleasure of speaking with her by phone one christmas.

i have all of her books, garnered from new and used book stores over the years, and truly love her special prose.

i received a card from her daughter today in response to one that i sent, congratulating Miss Read on the 50th anniversary of her first book, Village School. Her mother is still with us, but sadly is blind now in her 90s.

her final book was A Peaceful Retirement... I can only wish her the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exciting Discovery, August 26, 2004
Sharon (Brandon, MS, United States) - See all my reviews
What a pleasure to enter the world of Thrush Green for a few hours. You enter and then don't want to leave. I have read only 6 of the Thrush Green books and that is not nearly enough. Miss Read has been a wonderful discovery. I am sincerely hoping that the out of print and out of stock books written by this talented author will be available soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, December 19, 2002
By A Customer
I love charming towns and quirkey people and Thrush Green is full of them. The writing style is lovely and I felt like a bird flying from home to home getting to know the characters in the book while I was reading it. It is refreshing and in my opinion, it is much better than the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I am eager to buy all of the books in this series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thrush Green Kindle, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Thrush Green (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books, May 11, 2006
I came across Miss Read's books by accident and have become addicted. They are the best treatment for stress I've discovered lately. Nothing ever happens in them, and yet they keep you engaged. I've read them out of order, which is not a serious handicap. Now that Nelly and Albert Piggot are reconciled, sort of, I'm trying to find which book tells how they ever married in the first place - what an odd couple! Fey Dotty Harmer and bluff Ella Bembridge and the batty Lovelock sisters are a hoot. If you don't require suspense and action in a book, you may enjoy these as much as I have.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›