Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Racing Wheel
Price:$89.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 8, 2012
Many people are talking bad about this, but I can see no reason for it. Yes, there is a 10 degree or so area in the middle of the turning radius, but I stopped noticing that within less than an hour. After that this has been pure fun.

Keep in mind you can not play with this wheel in your lap. You have to have a stand for this. I built a cheap stand from PVC and haven't looked back. I picked this up for Forza 4 and could not be happier for the money.

That is where the problems come in for most people. This is much easier to buy than a unit for clutch and shifter, force feedback, and full turning tension. It is unfair to hope for this wheel to do all the things for the $300 plus wheels do. For the money you simply can not beat this steering wheel. It could be better, but it could cost twice what it does too.
on November 25, 2011
Waiting for this to finally be available after several delays, got it delivered today.

Opened the box and was impressed with how the wheel looked...however it does feel pretty flimsy. Has some nice rubberized grips and the shift paddles are metal and have a nice chunky clunk when you shift them. The pedals and base are a little awkward...unless you have a lot of weight resting on the pad they tend to lift off the ground under heavy brake or accelerator application. The clamping mechanism works pretty well, it stayed securely attached to my table for the 10 minutes I could stomach using it.

In terms of actually in-game use, I'm incredibly dissapointed. I guess part of it is my fault...I knew this wheel had no ForceFeedback but I assumed no one would build a controller without rumble. In the first few moments I realized I shouldn't have assumed this. There is ZERO feedback from games. If you play Forza 4 or F1 2011 in simulation mode, you know how critical it is to have feedback from the tires even if there's no official "Force Feedback". I found myself actually being significantly slower than I am with a regular controller, which is a pretty sad statement. Force Feedback adds a lot of cost to a unit, but for the gains in playability vs cost I can't understand why this doesn't have a rumble feature.

Another huge drawback is the motion of the wheel itself. It has some kind of spring or elastic material that increases tension as you increase steering angle. Right around the middle there is probably a 30 degree "dead zone" where the wheel just effortlessly floats back and forth. Trying to keep a car stable going down the straight at Silverstone on approach to Stowe is essentially impossible...approaches to most corners end up getting you unstable in braking and ruin your turn in. Incredibly frustrating.

If you play Forza or F1 in arcade mode, you'll probably have fun...same with the more arcade-y games like Test Drive/ NFS / etc. If you enjoy the more simulation style games stay far, far away.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2014
I got this for Christmas from Walmart and I love it. I have been wanting to get this since its inception and finally got it. Below are the pros and cons I have. Please feel to comment and ask me any additional questions you have.

Pros
1) Compatible with PC/xbox360
2) Using almost a month now with no issues and dont know how long it will last.
3) Pretty sturdy build
4) If its your first wheel, you'll love it
5) Incredibly fun and works awesome with forza 3, 4
7) I've played for over 7 hour stretches with rough handling from children and it seems to have not broken and works well

Cons)
1) Force feedback isn't its strongest point (but I wasn't really wanting it since I get plenty of that when I drive to work)
2) No stick shift (only paddle shift,,again this was actually a pro for me, I didn't want a goddamn stick shift)
3) Small dialup like wire that connects the accelerator/break at the foot to the steering wheel, try not to get this pulled off and keep it safely, (I haven't had issues with it but it looks like it can get damaged)
on December 7, 2012
In terms of design, this wheel is just about perfect for my uses. The hand grips are very ergonomic and comfortable to hold. All the buttons are easily reachable and intuitively placed. The paddle shifters feel crisp and snappy. All-in-all the tactile experience is very satisfying.

That said, I've had 2 of these wheels, and both of them have had build quality issues. The first wheel felt great, all the buttons were firm and snappy and the elastic resistance in the wheel was perfectly balanced and consistent. Unfortunately it soon became totally unresponsive and could not be detected by any PC or Xbox.

I sent it back and received a replacement, but this one had problems of its own. Inside the wheel there are 2 elastic tensioners which are supposed to provide equal resistance so that the wheel snaps back to a neutral position when not being touched. One of the tensioners on the replacement wheel is loose however. There is about 6 inches of slack in the wheel and a clacking noise every time it turns, which spoils the feel just enough to make it not worth using. It would be easy to fix the loose tensioner, but annoyingly the wheel is assembled with locking clips that will break if you open the shell. I got it open enough to see inside and identify the problem, but any more and it would have broken.

So to sum up, buying this product is essentially a crap-shoot due to poor manufacturing standards/shoddy build quality. I'm still debating whether to have mine replaced again.
on August 3, 2013
I don't understand why this wheel generally has such a bad rap. I've used it for Forza 4 and Forza Horizon and it made both games a lot of fun. There may be a "dead zone" in the middle where there's no tension but so do real cars, and if you use the cockpit view you can see that movements in the dead zone are still registered exactly as you do them. For the price it's made out of some pretty nice materials and looks more like a big-boy toy than a childs plaything, basically you don't feel the need to hide it when guests are over. The only complaint I have is that the pedal base can lift up in the back when switching from gas to brake, but eventually you don't even notice it.

Just make sure you push the pedals against a wall so they wont move and affix the wheel to a steady surface because the tension at the ends is pretty formidable. Using it in conjunction with a desk and office chair or a low table and a lounge-style chair has been the optimal set up for me.
on January 7, 2013
My husband and my dad play this every night all night! They love it, and my dad is not a gamer... it makes the experience real!
on March 17, 2014
I tested it on Formula 1 2013, and Simraceway and works great! Just one detail, if you would like to use clutch, then this is not for you, it has only brake and throttle. The quality look good for me, and I know other people are complaining about it, but again I do not see any problem with the quality of the product.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2015
*I was not able to get this to operate in Windows 7. It was recognized in the Devices and Printers, as well as Device Manager. Many attempts at driver installation (office MS drivers) and removal, restarts, etc. and I could not get the drivers to take. The *.exe seemed to complete perfectly well, but it was forever plagued by the driver not being recognized. Troubleshooting also would not allow automatic or manual installation of the driver. I find this all perplexing, but I have both wired and wireless Xbox 360 controllers that function perfectly well.

Pros
- really nice build quality
- solid feel to the wheel and rotation, grips are nicely sized for adults hands, texture feels top shelf (though not leather)
- flappy paddles have really nice deliberate travel and *click
- all buttons on the wheels feel robust and chunky, good tactile feedback
- the bungie resistance on the steering feels really nice, consistent, but solid and "interesting", enough to emulate some manor of force feedback
- pedals have nice amount of resistance, spacing between pedals is good

Cons
- while it appears super robust, the clamping device on the wheel does still allow the wheels to tilt a bit down towards your lap when on a desk
- connecting cable from the pedals to the wheel base seems fragile and I suspect will need to be handled carefully to prolong its life
- *was not plug-n-play in my case, could not get it to function with my system (even though I use a wired and wireless xbox 360 controller with my PC), mine was a warehouse deal, so it is possible it was mistakenly resold without inspection?

This would potentially be an outstanding wheel. I ended up returning it and bit the bullet on a G27, which I have had before. And we all know how good of a setup the G27 is for the wheel.
on April 26, 2015
Ultimately, the issue of whether or not this is a good product is if it works. It doesn't work very well, thus my review. As some others have stated, the "dead zone" on this thing is horrendous, making it impossible to track straight in Forza. The wheel is very springy, but that alone isn't the biggest problem. It just doesn't have a very good, clear center. If you try to adjust away the floaty area, then you have to jerk the wheel back and forth, but if you don't adjust a deadzone, the centering isn't good enough and you're constantly fighting just to drive straight.

That, and the pedals have absolutely NO mechanism to help them hold in place. They slide all over my carpet. A couple of "hooks" on the bottom could easily have solved this. The pedals have a very springy and unnatural feel as well.

Some might say "what do you expect for $99?" - well my answer is that I expect a better experience playing the game than I have with the gamepad. And I don't. It makes the game HARDER, not easier. I don't crash into things in real life, yet somehow this wheel makes driving something that only "hardcore" gamers can master.
on January 10, 2012
I have come into contact with 4 of these wheels. Two of them my friend has and two of them I have owned. I got my first of the two wheels on christmas and was really pleased with how it worked... at first. The first thing you notice when using this wheel is that it has about 10-15 degrees in the middle where the wheel can free float. This makes it really hard to straighten yourself out while racing. Secondly, within 2 hours of total play time with this, the first one broke. I was not harsh with it at all but the buttons on the start-stop selector stopped working. Upset and distraught, I sent it back for a replacement. The second one I got broke within a few days. The paddle shifters stopped working and the D-pad (start/stop selector) stopped working too. I am now sending it back and I do not plan on getting another. ON THE OTHER HAND- my friend who has two of them, has had them for a while now and he hasn't experienced any terrible problems with his. Despite the free floating he likes them a lot.

I would not recommend these because it's just a seriously unreliable investment.
It is fun while it lasts but chances are, it won't last very long.

If you do buy, you better hope you get very lucky!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...