5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised
We bought the Thule Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag for a roadtrip from Texas to Florida.

1. The bag was easy to use, and the instructions were good. It attached right onto our roof rack with no probolem. I had read other reviews and knew to have safety pins (8 to be exact) to secure the excess strapping to the bag, or it will make noise while you're driving...
Published on July 4, 2008 by Brett R. Davis

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be "Waterproof" - Not Worth The Money
This carrier might be good for short jaunts in dry weather, definitely not made for wet weather. Long story short, after a 200 mile drive through rain, all items in bag were soaked. Once I returned from my trip, this item was returned.

Published 17 months ago by prosailortim

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised, July 4, 2008
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)

2. It rained on us part of the way down, but our luggage was inside plastic bags. The plastic bags did get wet, but our luggage was fine. I would say that the bag is weather resistant as claimed becasue there wasn't much water in the bag after the storm.

3. The bag produced drag, and it affected our gas mileage and gas was over $4.00 / gallon at the time.

4. Removing and putting on the bag at each of our stops wasn't a big deal. We only had 2 suit cases, and a toiletry bag in there - so it was a snap to get them out/in, and then the bag off/on.

The bottom line is that if you need extra space in your vehicle, don't have or want to spend the money on a hard top cargo carrier, and probably if you're not driving 1600 miles roun-trip (my opinion that this better for shorter trips) - then this bag is right for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great luggage system, flexible and functional, June 23, 2010
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)
I just returned from taking my family to the Outer Banks (NC) and had used a big old hard top case to help transport all the stuff that would not fit in the back of our Nissan Xterra. Just as we arrived, I foolishly pulled my car into a carport and totally destroyed, along with my ego, the top carrier. I really trashed it, twisting and ripping it to bits. What to do? How would I get my stuff back home?

I carefully researched several options on Amazon and almost bought another hard top case to be delivered overnight... but I read in a review that the Xterra's cross bars were too wide for the mount (saved by good research!). This lead me to my second choice, this Thule soft bag. To make a long story short, this should have been my first choice. I now have a flexible (it expands as needed) top carrier system that stores in its own bag when not needed. I don't waste valuable space in my garage like I did with the big hard case - this one sits on a shelf, neatly, in the basement until I need it again.

So how did it perform? Very well. This case sits down on the roof between the cross bars so it is much lower than a hard case. This makes it much easier to load and delivers better fuel economy. We averaged about 3 mpg more on our return trip. The case is thick, sturdy and soft. No scratches on my roof. I used every bit of expanded space to stuff tons of things and it swallowed them all. It has four adjustable straps built into the bag that snap it down into a tight form so there is no wind flapping. We had no rain, but I have read reviews where users survived rain storms without any water seaping inside. Other reviews said some items got wet. Either way, the bag is said to be water resistant, not water proof. Indeed, the zippers and sealing over-flaps do look to be weather resistant, if not completely weather proof. Some users just wrap items in a garbage bag for added safty.

I am very satisfied with this car top luggage system. It is functional, stylish, well-made and flexible. The foam reinforced bag holds it shape better when stuffed, which helps with air flow and fuel economy. It can be used on any vehicle with top bars, meaning it can be used on other vehicles that I may purchase in the future. It's a little more expensive than some of the other soft bags on the market, but this is an example of you get what you pay for. I highly recommend this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for camping, January 10, 2010
Yoko007 (Berkeley, CA) - See all my reviews
To gain more space for camping equipment, I assumed I'd need a cargo box, but once I learned of Thule cargo bags I reconsidered. The obvious benefit of having something light weight that can be stashed in a bag made a lot of sense. So I poured over the positive user reviews of many alternative vendors' products available on Amazon. I ultimately chose the Tahoe because it has the most space, it's durable, and it doesn't require a specific spacing for the roof bars. I'm completely satisfied. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to strap it onto the bars, by myself. I'm able to put 2 tents, 2 kids chairs, 2 sleeping bags, 2 pillows, and 4 mattress rolls in it, by myself. One could probably get more into it, but my 2001 Sienna's bars are in a fixed position so a portion of the back of the bag rests on and behind the back bar. I don't know if they were necessary, but I went ahead and used 4 bungee cords to secure each corner to the roof rack side brackets. I'm especially pleased with how the zippers operate because I have to really stretch to reach the one that runs along the back of the bag and pull it with one finger. The bag is now stashed with the rest of the camping equipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag! Gets the job done!, August 9, 2009
S. Aponte (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)
Overall this is a good bag and gets the job done as advertised. The bag will never look like the advertised photo but it's pretty close. We were able to fit 3 large Nike duffel bags and 2 smaller duffel bags with ease. We could've probably stuffed more in there but were content with what we were able to fit. I was stuck on whether or not to buy a hard top vs this bag and by far the bag was the best decision at least for us, simply for storage reasons. This bag folds up nice into a carry case and you can easily store it in a closet. We had no room for a hard case so we would've had to leave it on the roof all year long which wasn't ideal for us. The most challenging part of the installation was the fact that our cross bars go from side-to-side and not long ways. This presented a challenge because we could not get all 4 straps to reach the cross bars. Since I was already purchasing additional locking straps for security reasons we were able to resolve this issue easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cargo Carrier for Your Van or SUV!!, August 30, 2010
P. Pollock (Los Angeles, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)
This review for the Thule Tahoe carrier. Sells for about $180 on Amazon, and $200-$230 from local dealers around town.
This product is excellent for packing items on the roof of a large vehicle - like an SUV or a van.
HOWEVER it is not guaranteed to be completely waterproof or stormproof. If you need your items to be totally dry, even when driving through heavy rain, then you've got two options: (1) Buy the Thule Tahoe carrier and then double-wrap all your gear in plastic trash bags before putting them in the carrier (i.e. same method as for canoeing), or (2) Buy a rooftop carrier made from hard durable plastic - but you'll pay somewhere between $500-$1,000 for a good carrier made from hard polymer.

You do need a roofrack on your vehicle to use this item properly.

OK ... my review:

Well - I give the folks at Thule (in Sweden) an A+ for the design of this cargo carrier!!!

This cargo carrier is built really tough, the design is smart, it's easy to attach to your vehicle, and it's great for getting bulky stuff OUT of your vehicle (so everybody can spread out). I bought one of these flexible cargo carriers when the family grabbed too much gear for a camping trip. Let's face it - clothes, sleeping bags, tents, pillows etc. are all bulky items - pretty soon your entire vehicle is overflowing with stuff. But this cargo bag from Thule is built with super-strong zips and tiedowns. It's ready-to-use when you take it out of the box. DON'T bother buying the smaller size carrier ... this larger version fits on any medium or large SUV. First, adjust your roofrack so the spacer bars (front and back) are well apart. Then zip open the carrier, pack it full of stuff, mount it on top of your vehicle, secure all the straps, and you're ready to GO! By the way, generally I only pack soft gear in the bag - so nothing sharp will puncture the cargo carrier.

One special feature that's particularly helpful ... are the 2 tightening straps on each side of the carrier. They make it very easy to cinch down all the gear and get the final rooftop package into a solid compressed shape. I did NOT have any problems stabilizing this bag while driving - and we were cruising at 70-80 mph. I DO find that using one extra piece of long cord (or rope) is handy - just so you can tie down the bag using the side attach points (apparently not everybody is taking advantage of them).

This is just a great piece of gear - probably one of the best additions for my camping items that I've purchased in a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Car carrier, September 4, 2009
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)
A savior for long vacations! We finally have room in the car. I like that it is soft sided - can squeeze things into the corners. Easy to get on top because it is lightweight. Fits on our factory installed racks - did not have to purchase extra parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dependable and Well Made, July 1, 2009
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)
I have only used the cargo bag on a couple of trips, but was very pleased both times. During one trip, we encoutered light to moderate rain over a timespan of 3-4 hours, and the bag kept all items dry.

One of key features of this rooftop carrier is the expandable portion of the bag. Another review noted the impact to gas mileage, and while there was a difference it was only slight in our case. I only experienced a change in gas mileage when the bag was fully expanded, but in either case you can make the cargo bag more aerodynamic through packing your bags correctly.

The bag was silent during the trip and was easy to attach and use. The material is very durable. Unless you need a hardcase carrier I would recommend the cargo bag for ease of storage when the item is not in use.

I would buy this product again and recommend it to others needing more space when traveling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy roof rack, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)
This roof rack works great and is easy on and off and very secure. I also bought the 4 thule bags to go with it, because as a set it works very well. We put it on our roof rack and secure it with 2 extra bungee cords and it does no move an inch. We go on very long road trips 400- 600 miles. They only problem I have ( or else it would have been 5 stars), we were driving in hurricane Danny through Vermont to Maine and had a minimal amount of water sepage. I must add that the bag was also left on the car overnight as well. We usually wrap the luggage in garbage bags and have never had a problem, this time I was being lazy. But I would I would buy this again. It is light weight and easy, it folds up small so you can take it off when you get to your destination. We are a family of 5 and 1 dog and it has more than enough room for 2 weeks of stuff

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be "Waterproof" - Not Worth The Money, May 7, 2013
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)

I have found a superior item at a site called roofbag.com, and it's 100% waterproof. Check them out, they have duffel/organizer bags that fit perfectly into the roof carrier. It's amazing how much more you can store with this system. Mine fits on my Rubicon Jeep Unlimited custom roof rack and it goes through the toughest conditions unscathed. Forget the name brands like Thule, Yakima, etc... etc... This is made in the USA, right in San Diego, CA & they have awesome customer service as well. These guys get 5 stars in my book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family trip, June 14, 2011
This review is from: Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag (Sports)
The bag arrived quickly. It comes in a great little tote bage that I used to store another travel box in while the car top bag was in use. At first this bag seems inadequate but once in place and the expansion zippers are undone it becomes quite spacious. I fit all of our luggage inside (for my wife, myself, and our three daughters). The bag stayed in place for the whole trip. To unload I actually left the bag packed and pulled it onto a luggage carrier at the condo as a unit. On the way home the weather report showed rain. I had purchased a box of heavy lawn bags and put our luggage in them prior to loading the cartop bag. This was fortunate because the rain was heavy and lasted for at least fourty five minutes to an hour. By the time we arrived home and unloaded the inside bottom of the carrier was wet and holding a small amount of water. Thanks to the trash bags our luggage was relatively dry. This carrier never claims to be water tight. Over all I think it is a good product that I have no trouble recommending. It is tough, durable, and attractive as these bags go and with the right wet prep done you should have no problem.

Thule 867 Tahoe Rooftop Cargo Bag