Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Thule 910XT Passage 2 Bike Trunk Mount Carrier
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Style Name: 2 Bike|Change

on July 12, 2011
Set up was easy enough. Used the correct settings and mounted two bikes: both were kids bikes, both were heavy. But around 200 miles into the trip (bad traffic), we very luckily noticed that the bikes seemed way off center.

We pulled over. One of the arms had come undone from the elbow of the rack. The elbow that holds in the arm (which holds the bikes) is the most important part of the rack. The elbow had actually split and when it started to split there was enough give so that the pin mechanism that holds the arm in place popped out. When you purchase this rack, look at the pin mechanism. You will notice it is made of very flimsy material and the squeeze construction seems shoddy. It's the kind of pin mechanism that weight traning equipment uses, but weight training equipment manufacturers always use reinforced heavy steel pins. Why in the world these pins are so flimsy I will never understand. I am sure most of these units are fine and I am sure we got a bad set (only one arm had the problem), but I swear this issue could always be avoided if they just used a longer steel pin that you just push through manually.

I don't get it. We were on a family vacation and had to abandon two bicycles. An email to Thule Saturday remains unanswered on Tuesday night. Nothing else to say. I am sure people love this rack because it is easy to install and probably works 99% of the time, but you have to consider, the times it doesn't work would be dangerous and expensive. This is one of the only reviews I have written on Amazon. While I am sure this is a fine rack for shorter trips or for cars with a normal trunk, it just didn't work for us on our SUV. We'll get a hitch setup in the future.
22 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2009
Well-built rack that fits well on my car (although not using the setting that the manual suggested). I used this to transport my Cannondale road bike across the country. Unfortunately, the plastic piece that straps onto the downtube to keep the bike from swaying put some serious scratches in my bike's paint, wearing it all the way to the shiny aluminum below. Pretty disappointing. If you use this rack, I suggest putting a small towel, like a washcloth, between the downtube and the stabilizer piece.
33 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2008
I've owned this bike rack for approximately a month now and I am very happy with my purchase. Thule is a great product and I'm very happy that I purchased this bike rack. It's very easy to install and fits practically all makes and models of cars. The manual did not recommend the bike rack for my boyfriend's 2001 Ford Taurus, but it fit fine and we were comfortable with traveling with the bike rack on his car. We only checked to see if the car would fit my car before we purchased the bike rack, but everything worked out fine. I really like the material, sturdyness, and overall quality of this product.

I've read that someone or a few people weren't able to fit three bikes on this rack. We have 2 adult bikes and 1 children's bicycle and all three of the bikes fit fine. We've also traveled with 3 adult bikes and the fit was good as well. Just make sure you read the instructions and tips that come with the bike rack and you should have no problems.
on July 20, 2010
This bike rack works very well. I have taken one bike over 1500 miles and it has not had any problems. I own a dodge caliber and it fits well. I've also used this rack on a dodge caravan.

A tip for getting the side/bottom straps tight: snug up the straps as much as you can, lean on the rack to make it go left, tighten up the left strap, lean on the rack ot make it go right, and tighten up the right strap.

I'd suggest getting a small bungy to attach the front wheel of your bike to the bike frame so it doesn't bump around. Also, when using the safety strap to tie the bike to the frame of the rack, make sure the pedal of the bike won't scratch your car.

I have no doubt this would hold two bikes, but I just haven't tried it.
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2010
I purchased this product without knowing anyone who had owned a bike carrier and figured I'd go with a product that I had seen in many variations of carriers. Figured all these people can't be wrong, right? Upon receiving the rack I installed it and it was very easy to do. Afterward I gave the routine check and noticed that the arms felt loose to me since they use push in button for the swivel feature that allows for more compact storage. The looseness concerned me but again, I had no idea how the competition matched up either so I gave it a shot. I mount up my 2 mountain bikes and strapped them down and the looseness was gone, the bikes had locked the arms in place. Here it is about a dozen trips later and the bike carrier is still working like a champ, I'm completely confident that the bikes aren't going anywhere. I don't have any scrapes or scratches on my trunk from the straps either, much to my relief considering my car is only 6months old. The swivel feature that had concerned me is actually a very nice feature, when the bikes aren't on the rack I just take the carrier off, swivel the arms down and it stores nicely and compactly in the trunk. My only caveat is the rubber straps, I can see once they start to oxidize that they could dry, crack and break, but it's easy enough to just replace them since they are inexpensive.
on May 11, 2012
I bought this for a Toyota Yaris Hatchback and it works great. Unlike other racks I've owned in the past the Thule 910XT has numbered settings where you can look up your car make and model in the instruction manual select the settings and you're ready to go. No guesstimate adjustments what so ever. It's very sturdy and extremely easy to put on and off. If you think you're gonna get ahead by saving 20 or 30 bucks buying a cheaper rack from the Sports Authority, Walmart, or Sears, all I've got to tell you is don't kid yourself, once set for your car's specific settings this thing comes on or off in less than a minute and is far more rugged than many other racks I've worked with.

The only suggestion I would make specific to my model car is, you may want to place some cloth between the car and the hooks to avoid scratching your cars paint.
on July 8, 2012
I chose the THULE 910XT for my Acura TL because I liked the fitting guide option that allowed me to verify that it would fit before purchase. I'm planning a 500 mile road trip in a week and that will be the true test for this bike rack.

For now, I've tested it locally. Mounted it this morning in just a few minutes. SHould be quicker/easier now that the straps are set to the needed lengths. The included directions are very clear and step by step. Fitting your vehicle is easy, the instructions include an index of cars by Make/Model and suggests the appropriate bar setting and where to hook the upper and lower straps.

So for local use, I must say this is perfect. It mounts firm and the bike movement is minimal with the use of a couple bungee cords to secure the front wheel to the bike frame. Add this to the fact that when you take the bungee cords and securing strap off, you can still open your trunk to store the cords when not in use. That is, the way it fits MY car, use of the trunk is uninhibited. SO for local use I have to give it 5 stars.

I've read some bike rack reviews expressing concern with leaving them mounted long term and having the pads melt onto the trunk. For tonight, I've left the rack attached and am giving it a 36 hour test in 90 degree temperatures.

Update: 8/7
Ok, This rack holds up. 75 mph for 500 miles and no worries at all. This rack is wonderful locally and on the interstate.

I'm going to try uploading a photo...we'll see how that goes.
Hope this review helps you in your decision!
review image
on July 6, 2008
July 6, 2008

The Thule model is well made, has sturdy straps with good buckles and an easy way of tying down to the trunk sides and bottom. I use it for a 27 lb bike and a 37 lb three wheel recumbent. The rubber saddles and straps are good. For my heavy recumbent bike I had to place hose clamps on the bars to prevent the saddles from moving. The bars holding the bikes can be rotated down for storage but with a little difficulty in pressing the two buttons to release the arms.

I bought the three bike unit because it has a higher listed weight capacity but I suspect it is the same product as the two bike unit but with longer bars.

The saddles and straps save time. I no longer need to spend much time using bungee cords. It is important to get the trunk side and bottom straps snug so they don't loosen on the road.
I called Thule and got an answer to my question about the height of the assembly.

This is a good product and I am glad I bought it.
on July 22, 2011
The flimsy plastic hub of this contraption is the heart and sole of the design; it is the only thing standing between your expensive bike and the road. It flexes and separates to the point where i don't trust it--and i have never put more than one mountain bike on it. With three I definatley would not trust it. For example: there is one rivet that is pressed against the plastic hub to hold the pressure. After only two months of use, the two pieces of plastic that make up the hub are separating under load of ONE bike. It looks like the single rivet will pop out at any time. It has not failed yet but it looks inevitable and that makes me nervouse. I should have bought another brand. I have heard people swear by their thule bike racks. Maybe they bought their rack before 2006 when the company also downgraded its product warranty.
on April 28, 2012
I ordered this 3 piece Thule bike rack to bring my bikes to FL. When I received the item on time, I opened the box, it was sealed with clear tape over brown tape. I was a little worried it was a repackage but hoped everything would be OK. I checked the contents and it was missing many parts needed to assemble it. I notified Amazon and was corresponding with OUTDOOR SHOPPING through email. OUTDOOR SHOPPING did not believe it was missing parts and asked me to send pictures of the box that there SUPPLIER requested. I ask Brandon to call me. He said we do not have phone capabilities. I asked for the SUPPLIERS number, I never got it, This is one of the emails I sent to OUTDOOR SHOPPING, "I have received the order. However the box looked to be repackaged. It is missing items so I can not assemble it. I am leaving on a trip Saturday April 7, 2012. If you can not get the missing parts to me before that date, please let me know and I will return the item. It is missing G, H, and all 3 parts of part K. I can be reached at #####
This is one of OUTDOOR SHOPPINGS responses: We currently do not have phone capabilities; we are email based at this point. Having said that, our supplier has asked us for images of what you did receive so they can clarify; as we generally never have problems with this item. Furthermore, here's what else they wrote:

It's possible that parts are missing but if he didn't declare damage when he received the UPS package then it's going to be hard to justify that it wasn't shipped with all of its parts. If there was damaged packaging then we need photo evidence in order to start a claim, no refund can be given until we get reimbursed from the shipping company. Let me know once you hear back.

Please let us know. We greatly appreciate it.

Brandon,
Outdoor Shopping

There was no DAMAGE to report to the shipper. I did send photos to OUTDOOR SHOPPING. They asked about the tape and I replied that the clear tape was over the brown tape. I have not received a response back yet. I opened up an A-Z guarantee with Amazon April 6, 2012. I am still awaiting this ridiculous issue to be resolved. Had I known OUTDOOR SHOPPING would give me a hard time, I will next time buy at a bicycle shop. I wrote this review April 28, 2012.