4.0 out of 5 stars What a difference aerodynamics can make...
Published on March 19, 2012 by Walter Boyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about these bars
Published 20 months ago by M. Potvin

4.0 out of 5 stars What a difference aerodynamics can make..., March 19, 2012
Walter Boyle (Durham, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I just installed these on Friday and then spent 6 hours in my CR-V on Saturday. I had the square bars on before these and the difference was huge. Not only did the noise go down significantly but my gas mileage crept up a bit, too (only .3 MPG, but still). Easy to install and good looking. Only two drawbacks, and this is why they get 4 stars and not 5. The first is that with their silver color all the bugs you hit while driving show up. A little silly but it is noticeable. The second is regarding the use of roof racks. You will need to buy extra parts to mount any rack to these bars. They do not tell you this in the instructions or any where else. Thule has some of the worst documentation regarding this. I found REI to be very helpful in finding what i needed to actually secure my kayak racks, its a relatively cheap and easy fix but was major annoyance for 2 hours while I read online and researched the fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives up to the quiet claim!, March 3, 2012
This review is from: Thule Aeroblade Roof Rack Bars (Sports)
I replaced my Rapid Aero Load Bars with these Aeroblade Load Bars based on the claim that they are the quietest load bars on the market...well they totally lived up to the claim. I do miss the look with the fairing kit that was on my Rapid Aero Load Bars, as mentioned the fairing kit will not fit this new load bar. When you hear how much quieter it is, you wont care that the little Thule billboard is gone. I have this system on a Volkswagen Passat with a sun roof and the Rapid Aero Bar/Fairing combination really howled above 45mph. Also in the summer with the sun roof open...bugs would be sucked into the cabin by the low pressure area behind the fairing. You can imagine how cranky a wasp is when he is flying along minding his own business and then suddenly drops in your lap...not a good thing at 65 mph!!! I bought the Aeroblades solely on the wind noise claims and if you like your ride quieter, you wont be disappointed. Like I said this is a direct product comparison with the Rapid Areo bars which I had on my Passat for about a year and the Aeroblade bars that I put on a month ago. Be sure to check the notes on product fitment as a few of the carriers wont fit this wider load bar, mine did so I went for it. Great product improvement!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about these bars, August 20, 2012
First the seller, was sold through Amazon, and Amazon fulfilled the order. Items was listed as new, was obviously a customer return, and there was a small dent in the leading edge of one of the bars. Amazon offered to take it back and sell me new bars through themselves at the same price, however I had an urgent need and didn't have time to deal with that. Kudos to Amazon's customer service again. I'm not judging my review on that experience, but felt that it needed to be voiced.

I had to get new bars as I had received a new fit kit for my new vehicle for Christmas. Little did I know at the time that Thule had updated their product line and my ~10 year old rectangular bar/foot combo which had served me for so long were essentially no longer supported. The new fit kit mounts were wider than the old bases. Off to get new bars and a new set of feet. I settled on these new Aerobars for the reduced wind noise. Quite pleasingly, the bars are very successful in this department, I saw a Youtube video that these bars produced a 13dB reduction over the previous Aero Bars.

Another advance that Thule made with the new bases is that you need a special tool (allen wrench) to remove the bases. You can no longer walk up and unscrew the bases, I once had my locked Thule rack stolen, this will be much more difficult now.

The fitting instructions for my vehicle for the base were incorrect as it is a brand new model year, even though the box says it covers my model year. Honda made a body style change in the 2012 Pilot which changes the span requirements for the feet. The old rectangular bars had a cap which slid over the ends of the bars to plug the holes. These new bars have an aerodynamic plastic cap which rotates downward to "Lock" in place. Only thing is, I've found them to be pushed up frequently. I don't expect these caps to last long through theft or general loss.

These bars have a rubber gripping surface on the top of the bars, I imagine this is to assist is securing loads to the bars, reducing slippage. This introduces the big problem. The bars are relatively new, there are adapter kits for some of the old style mounts, but Thule hasn't introduced replacement carriers for their entire product line to date. One of the items I carry is my Mad River Canoe. To date Thule doesn't have an attachment for canoes for the new Aerobars. I loaded up the canoe one day, drove 3 miles and offloaded. That was the first load the bars carried. This one load, totally destroyed that rubber gripping band where the gunwales rested on the bar. I haven't yet tried my Velo Vise rack for my bikes, these require the Xadapt 1 adapters. The Hull a Port carrier allegedly doesn't need adapters, I'll find that out shortly when I try to put my whitewater boat on the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bar, but watch your acessories, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Thule Aeroblade Roof Rack Bars (Sports)
I have the 53" Aeroblade installed on a 2007 Ford Fusion and the fit is great. It looks nice too. I have only used mine to carry a bicycle so far but the rack has been rock solid. It fits securely enough to my car that I can rock the car by pushing on it and it does not flex at all. The wind noise is minimal and it does not appear to impact my fuel economy at all. In fact I recently got the best MPG I have ever seen on my car which was a bit unexpected. The only real downside is not all of the carriers will fit to it. Thule is up front about this on their website and dealers are aware of it, but it's still a bit of a disappointment. I particularly would like to use the canoe carrier but it won't fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for Christmas Vacation, January 4, 2013
First things first, use Thule's fit guide to get all of the items that you need: [...]
My wife pitched the idea of buying a car topper to free up room in our Ford Focus for an upcoming 11 hour car ride with 2 dogs. After a lot of research, paying closer attention to other vehicle racks around town, and trying to think of the best use of my money I settled on Thule (apparently pronounced "tool-ey"). The final selling point was the wide variety of products they sold that can be reused easily on other cars and with other products. For example, I could use the car topper and then use a bike rack, raft rack, or just the bar to transport plywood, etc.

I ended up purchasing the custom feet pack, aero bars, rapid traverse feet, locks, and cargo box. Although we spent several hundred dollars on everything if we wanted to use these products on our Scion all we have to do is buy the customer feet pack at ~$70. The custom feet pack come with the specific measurement and placement of the feet and bars. Follow the instructions and the install will go smoothly with some time. Once you have it figured out installing and remove the bar and box will take 2 minutes. During our trip we removed the cargo box and I was able to easily do it by myself in a few minutes. The entire setup survived a 22 hour round trip at highway speeds up to 80 mph. The box also sat in the rain overnight and went through rain on the road and the contents stayed dry. Setup stayed in place, tight and secure, and did not scratch the paint.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this bar if you plan on going over 60 mph, December 26, 2012
At 60+ the bar produces a constant high frequency whistle. It's so bad that it can't be drowned out by turning up your music. When you spend over 100 dollars on a product, it should do what it says. In no way is this a quiet bar. To try and counter the noise I've been putting duct tape on a $120 dollar product to fix it...and I still haven't found a way to kill the whistle. I tried removing the bars and driving just with the feet (450r) and the noise disappears. The problem is the bar. The bars look great, but when you're afraid to drive on the freeway because of the noise what's the point? Don't buy these bars. Hold out for better.

2.0 out of 5 stars They are screamers., February 16, 2013
Kelley (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
First off, these are bars only. You will still have another 300 plus dollars to spend to mount these to your vehicle. Second, they scream like whistles when you go above 70 mph. I have no experience with the square bars, but I was told these were more quiet, sorry square bar owners. I broke one of the four plastic mount cover during intallation, so be careful, they are a bit brittle. They are solid and work as stated upon final installation. You rock the car attempting to move them. 165 pound max weight rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: INSTALLATION OF THIS PRODUCT MAY VOID YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY, December 20, 2012
I installed these on my 2011 Honda CRV per instructions with the appropriate Thule fit kit and 47" thule aero bars. I loaded my 2 kayaks at a total of 126 pounds, and pulled our vehicle 2200 miles. When I arrived in California it became apparent that a weld had broken on the CRV factory attachment point. Took the vehicle to a Thule dealer who called his Thule rep. I was told it was a Honda issue. I then went to a Honda dealer who called his Honda field rep and was told it was a Thule design problem and by installing the Thule racks I had voided my warranty. I tried numerous times to speak to a real person at Thule without success. In the end I took the racks off and had to sell my kayaks because I was 2200 miles from home without a reliable way to transport them. I believe Thule should include a disclaimer with this purchase: "WARNING. INSTALLION OF THIS PRODUCT MAY VOID YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY." Based on my experience, I would never purchase another Thule product. If I have a problem with a product, I expect I should be able to speak to someone to

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bars!, January 18, 2012
J. D. Cayer (Gainesville, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule Aeroblade Roof Rack Bars (Sports)
Great product, fit/finish, etc. Minimal wind noise on windy days, un-noticeable on normal days.

use this on my 2009 Highlander Hybrid Limited, fits perfect, looks awesome.

largest complaint...

it doesn't work with the Thule faring, I ended up having to return the fairing after receiving it and realizing it won't fit this rack setup. Wind wise you don't need it really, but I like how they look and would have liked having one for my vehicle. If you want the faring for your vehicle, stay away from these bars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great roof rack bars for my nissan rogue, April 1, 2014
These roof rack bars fit my 2008 Nissan rogue. I love the silver color as they match my silver rogue perfectly. They were easy to install and did not slip after a year of hauling two kayaks all summer.

ARRAY(0xa5975300)