4.0 out of 5 stars Very handsome and thoughtfully designed bag
I agree with the other reviewers.

Highlights:
- Durability - The overall construction is very tough. I've used this bag on skiing and diving trips in rain, snow, and worst of all, international luggage handlers :-) and it's survived them all.

Published on March 23, 2011 by Keith

2.0 out of 5 stars It broke
Great bag as far as size and usability. However, after less than 6 months, the top soft handle pulled out while loading it into a car trunk. It looks like the stitching wasn't done well.
Published on March 6, 2012 by R. Webb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handsome and thoughtfully designed bag, March 23, 2011
I agree with the other reviewers.

Highlights:

- The dual-compartment design is AWESOME. I use the bottom compartment for hardware (ski boots, fins, gloves, etc) and the top compartment for clothes. Keep in mind that: (a) the top/bottom compartment divider is mesh, so that has pros and cons...on the one hand it means there is good breathability for damp stuff you put in the bottom compartment, but on the other hand if you put your muddy boots into the bottom compartment the mud is going to leech into the top compartment...you'll want to wrap your dirty stuff; (b) the bottom compartment is fairly shallow, about 5 inches (lay a ski boot on its side and it's about that height) but because the compartment divider is mesh there is some stretch to the compartment space.

- Looks - It's a really cool looking bag.

- The big wheels are GREAT for lugging over tarmac, on boats, up stairs, etc, and the pull handle is SOLID. It also snaps/locks into the bag nicely so there is no danger of the pull handle slipping out while in a cargo hold and snapping.

- The goggle compartment is excellent, although it does obviously take up some internal space in the bag that you have to learn to pack around.

- The semi-hard back and bottom plates help the bag stay upright (this is a problem with a lot of other rolling duffels)

- There are handles on the side, top and bottom of the bag which is GREAT since you will be pulling this bag out of trunk spaces, train overhead compartments, etc and a lot of duffel bags just don't provide enough convenient handles. The handles are well designed and pretty flush with the bag so still looks minimalist.

- Other design elements: the adjustable straps on the outside are more form than function...they don't do much; all the zippers have lock holes so you can put a TSA-compliant combination lock on them which is good for check-in luggage

Cons:
- Note that the outside fabric of the bag is black with small white dots. It doesn't come through in the product photos so don't expect the bag to be jet black. It actually looks very cool (it still looks manly and serious), but the white dots do get abraded over time so the bag will probably look worn faster than, say, a ballistic nylon Tumi or Victorinox bag.

- The Thule logo is matt silver and looks very cool. However, it's like some kind of decal applied onto the bag...it looks pretty well bonded but you can take a look at it and know that it will start flaking off over time as the bag gets abraded.

Other notes:
- The inside fabric is pale blue...it isn't cheesy but I think it will tend to show dirt more than a black or gray material.

- The outside fabric is not as tough as the ballistic nylon that Tumi or Victorinox uses, but it's still pretty tough and the bag is WAY lighter than others as a result. I had it sit out in the rain for a while and my clothes stuff stayed dry. The fabric does absorb a bit more water than the Tumi/Victorinox though, because the fabric is thinner and lighter.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great suitcase!, September 2, 2010
I am so pleased with this suitcase and evidently have raved about it enough that my boyfriend has also decided to buy one. Very very sturdy and good quality build - I can't imagine the material ripping or starting to look used. For me, one of the best features is the fact that the wheels are huge, and therefore there's a reduced likelihood of the suitcase rocking or tipping if you go over a bump. The protective goggle section is extremely strong too and I would have no issues loading it up with fragile items (to a certain extent).

Overall a very good suitcase, which definitely justifies the price. I would so rather purchase a suitcase like this every 7/8 years rather than a lower quality one every 1/2 years!

2.0 out of 5 stars It broke, March 6, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, January 31, 2011
Excellent construction all over, the design is stylish and modern, very sharp very high quality.

It has support pegs in the front to keep it from tipping over while upright, and an extension handle that works very well. Wheels are large and solid, better looking and stronger/more durable than most other duffels that are out there.

It has two main sections that are separated by a zipper, and a smaller hard section/pocket for more fragile/delicate stuff like eyeglasses.

The 87 liter that I got is ideal for longer trips (a week or more), but they also offer a medium sized one and a small, whatever suits your needs.

I exchanged messages with "Niffer" who was the first one to review this item, and her experience certainly helped with my decision making.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice bag but can't take the beating of commercial airline travel, August 7, 2011
The only problem with this bag is that the mechanism to raise and lower the handle is quite delicate. During a trip to Europe this summer one of the release buttons was crushed by the baggage handlers and the handle would not go back down after I pulled it out. It is only plastic and lacks the durability you would expect from a bag of this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thule Crossover 87 Liter Rolling Duffel, May 8, 2011
AWESOME DUFFEL!!!!!! Just received this bag in the mail, it came really quick considering I'm in the middle of the desert in Kuwait. This bag is sturdy, rock solid wheels and handle. This duffel rolls soooo smooth. Other bags tip over, fall sideways, or the handle bends. This duffel is QUALITY. I'm a professional scuba diver...I can fit my fins, boots, and BCD scuba vest all in the lower compartment. In the upper compartment I have plenty of room for clothes, shoes, regulators, wet suit, towels, etc. The crush proof compartment will be perfect for my scuba mask. I was so impressed with this bag that I am buying the Thule backpack for my laptop. I found this bag listed as used: like new, as it turns out this bag was brand new still in the plastic, it was a killer deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the price, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Thule Crossover 87-Litre Rolling Duffel Pack (Sports)
Looked at Tumi luggage was put off by the price tag. This is a solid bag at a lower cost. Have this type of bag from LL Bean but my complaint has always been that it tips forward when you let go. This has stabilizers that prevent that. I got 3 weeks worth of clothes in this bag and it was still under 50 lbs for the airlines (and didn't tip over when I stood it up.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rolling Thunder of Luggage, April 12, 2013
Frank K Nam (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule Crossover 87-Litre Rolling Duffel Pack (Sports)
1. This bag sticks out on the carousel - that's a good thing. People will compliment it. Prepare to add 30 minutes to your airport arrivals/departures b/c of this.
2. It's HUGE but still lightweight. You can pack it to the gills (like I did on my 10 day trip to Seoul) and it stays below 50lbs!
3. The wheels work great
4. The clamshell design is great for separating things like shoes from the rest of your stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bag I've ever owned!, December 9, 2012
I travel about 80 days a year for business. My trips range from overnights to week long multi city visits. This bag does it all. It's light weight, yet fits everything. The wheels are fluid and the shell is indestructible! The top pocket is very conveinant for sunglasses, phone and wallet. I can also tell you that this company stands behind their product. I had a minor problem and they replaced the bag in 3 days! That kind of customer service has earned them a customer for life! I highly recommend this bag. I also purchased the backpack....also a great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Bag with one possible weakness, November 28, 2011
I travel internationally frequently, so I was looking for a yet another replacement bag that would last more than 10 round trips, which seems to be the life span of high quality bags when I check them. I bought Thule because of the aluminum frame. It was a choice between Thule or the ugly bags the flight crew purchase (they have replaceable parts, aluminum frames and curdura nylon).

This bag is light, it has smooth rolling, durable wheels. The buckles are actually made of the same aircraft grade aluminum (the plastic ones only last 3 or 4 flights). I think the handle is of great quality. The rails are also of the same aluminum. The layout of the two compartments seems to work better for me than the typical evenly divided 2 compartments. With this bag you have a shallower tray at the bottom half and the other side is a large duffle that you access from zipped panels inside or outside the bag.

The possible weakness is the material. It seemed a bit thin to me. Now after 2 round trips the is a small cut at the bottom of the bag. After examining the cut I see that the bag has two layers of fabric and the under layer seems to be more durable. I took a star away for this but it may be unfair of me. We'll see in a year

Another feature it should have is a D ring or something at the top to attach a strap to for a second roller. I've had to connect off the handle, which, not being rigid, isn't ideal.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›