5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and looks good

Published on September 12, 2010 by M M

3.0 out of 5 stars An easier way to stop roof rack noise, September 12, 2010
M M (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule Fairings
If you're looking to enhance the look of your roof rack (and are willing to fork out the $$), feel free to buy the Thule fairing (although make sure that you measure correctly). But if noise is your problem, try moving the bars. Better yet, before trying anything else, use a trick that a guy at local camping store told me about. Take a thin utility cord/rope. Tie it to one end of the front crossbar and wrap it repeatedly around the crossbar to the other end of the front crossbar (spaced about an inch or so per loop) where you tie it tight. Can disrupt the airflow enough to break the noise - basically got rid of all of the noise from my rack. I used a 10 foot cord which cost $1.60. Doesn't look as cool as a fairing (esp. if you're stuck with the purple cord which was all they had when I bought it), but much cheaper and no one will steal it from your car. And you don't have to move the bars so that you can't use them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great and looks good, March 24, 2011
Andy (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule Fairings
I have Thule's square bars and the fairing works as advertised, totally eliminating the howling sound from the bars without creating an additional wind noise. As others have suggested, the assembly is a little complicated; it's very doable, just don't wait until the last second because it takes some time to decipher the pictures in the assembly guide. Included with the fairing is a set of clear plastic stickers that you apply to the roof where the fairing feet touch the roof. This prevents the feet from making rub marks on your paint.

Note on roof boxes: you should remove the fairing when you use a roof box. You want the air to go under the box; the fairing and box together will trap the air, creating wind resistance. Thule doesn't mention this anywhere. Fortunately the fairing is easy to remove and reinstall. Just tilt the fairing upwards and the arms will disengage from the plastic clips. I'd leave the plastic clips on the bars as they'll probably break if you remove them.

Before you buy the fairing though I'd try the trick another reviewer suggested, where you wrap a rope or bungee cord around the front bar to eliminate the wind noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy to save your senses from the howling winds, January 26, 2009
This review is from: Thule Fairings (Sports)
Great product. It's easy to install (most can be done on the couch without going outside), and it greatly reduces wind noise - it's as if there was no roof rack on your car. Lastly, it looks cool.

I was also hoping for an improvement in gas mileage, but it's bitter winter and I use a lot of heating and drive on snow tires, so I can't tell if it helps or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, looks good, reduces noise, September 29, 2008
This review is from: Thule Fairings (Sports)
Great fairing, looks good, works well.
Difficult to assemble the middle connectors though...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great way to reduse wind noise., January 19, 2014
This review is from: Thule Fairings (Sports)
I have used fairings on my previous cars with great success in reducing wind noise. But, unfortunately this application of the fairing on my '05 Volvo V50 was slightly off. After installation, the fairing sits too forward and on the sunroof of my wagon and rubs on the sunroof glass when retracting. My Thule rack was properly installed at my local Rack & Road shop, so I know with confidence that the rook rack placement is correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, outstanding customer service!, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Thule Fairings (Sports)
After years of putting up with wind noise I finally invested in the fairing (a kind of expensive piece of plastic) for my Thule roof rack. It does cut down on wind noise, and my gas mileage improved by 1-2 miles. The fairing was easy to assemble - just pay close attention to the instructions and the drawings. The only downside is that once it's assembled, there is no way you can take it apart again, so make sure to read the instructions carefully, or get additional help online or by calling Thule.

You may also want to research exactly what size fairing you need. I went to the Thule website to double-check the measurements I took, and got confused by their descriptions referring to cars with gutters or railings. I thought that the "lips" along the side of my car's roof are gutters/railings and thus, I ended up ordering, from Amazon, a fairing that seemed about 6" too small. I called Thule to verify the correct length and after reviewing my situation and their description Thule (not Amazon) did a warranty exchange and send me a replacement fairing of the correct size. I did not need to return the smaller fairing (which is impossible to do once it's put together). I thought this was simply incredible customer service - it shows that they stand behind their product and value their customers - no matter where the product was ordered from.

Used and appreciated on a 1992 Volvo 245. It's easy to keep clean and so far - after about 6 months - shows no signs of wear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product but did not work for my application., June 5, 2010
This review is from: Thule Fairings (Sports)
This Fairing was to be installed on my 2005 BMW X3. This did not work for my application due to the fact the fairing would have interfered with the sunroof. I'm sure X3's without the sunroof option would work well with the fairing. Other than that, it's a well designed, durable product.

5.0 out of 5 stars INCREDIBLY EFFECTIVE!!!, February 15, 2009
This review is from: Thule Fairings (Sports)
It not only gives a gorgeous look to my car but also eliminates 100% the noise made by the wind when goes thru my rack.

It is important to clarify that I DON'T use a Thule rack (mine is a custom made). So I don't know if Thule racks produce or not any noise against the wind; mine did, and it was uncomfortably loud!

Once I installed my Thule Roof Rack Fairing the silence was absolute! I couldn't believe it was so effective!

Other thing which is pretty important: as my rack is custom made the Thule adaptors did not fit on my rack bars; but I solved this easily by tying up the Thule arms to my rack with adjustable plastic belts (see pictures on top). I used black belts so it is not noticeable.

And it works great! I have tested it in 2 8-hour round trips now at a speed of 170 km/h (about 105 mph) and this thing stays in place all the time.

A very simple but effective solution! And I spent just some bucks on it!

Buy this product with confidence! It's fantastic!

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited Success, August 16, 2010
Joe in Bellingham (Bellingham, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thule Fairings (Sports)
I purchased this fairing in the hope of reducing|eliminating the loud whistle generated by putting a kayak in my Thule Helluvator. I had hoped that the fairing would redirect the airflow and affect the noise. No dice. The fairing had absolutely no impact and I still need to put something between the hull of the boat and the Helluvator cradle. We have noticed no reduction in noise when the system is not loaded. On the other hand, the fairing does look better than the cross-bars alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Thule Fairings (Sports)
Bought this for my GTI MKV. Installed on my OEM VW roof rack with some minor work, looks great and serves its function...

Rate and Discover Movies