4.0 out of 5 stars Thule hitch lock
This lock is a necessity when using the Thule hitch bike rack. A stand lock will not fit the Thule rack. Lock works well and virtually eliminates any wobble within the receiver.
Published on February 23, 2008 by D Jordan

1.0 out of 5 stars Made my own for $2
Published on April 23, 2009 by Usually Happy

1.0 out of 5 stars Made my own for $2, April 23, 2009
This review is from: Thule STL2 Snug-Tite Lock One Key System Locking Hitch Pin (Sports)
MAKE YOUR OWN - This part is a total waste of money. I went to REI to pick-up this lock, when I asked the salesman the price he told me $50! I asked him why I could not simply use a small piece of chain to connect the rack to the trailer hitch. He told me I would be better off doing that and said just last weekend they had broken one off for a customer, with a single whack with a hammer (on the lock side which is thin evidently).

I picked up a small length of strong chain for $2.09 at the hardware store, put it through an old bike inner tube so it would not clang against the hitch and used two old padlocks to lock the chain ends to the rack and the trailer hitch (which is bolted and spot welded onto the car). So please, don't waste your money on the Thule STL2 Snug-Tite Lock II, MAKE YOUR OWN!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm... Should be included with $350 hitch, April 20, 2008
Thule make good products - not great ones. After purchasing a $350 T2 bike rack, I was disappointed that I had to buy this proprietary Thule lock for $40 (with shipping). Even more disappointing is that I had to buy lock cylinders for the hitch at $30. Back to the point: The lock provides a firm grip to the hitch. The unwritten benefit is that if the hitch nut loosens, the rack will not fall off your car. This alone is worth the price of admission. I gave it 3 stars because I think Thule should include it with the rack; otherwise, I'd give it a higher rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Way too expensive - create your own, March 31, 2012
I just purchased the Thule 9031 bike rack and hated the thought of some thug making off with it by simply unbolting one bolt at the hitch so I considered the Snug-Tite Lock. When I found out that Thule is charging almost $50 for a bolt with a cheap lock on it, I decided to create my own solution. After a couple days thinking about it, I came up with a solution for just about $10. When you install a Thule hitch mounted rack, there's only one bolt that goes into the hitch receiver. This leaves you with a hole on the opposite side which is perfect for sliding one of those thin cable Master locks through. Simply slide the thin end of the cable lock (the male end) in through the hitch hole on the opposite side of the bolt that holds the rack to the hitch. Push the cable lock through the hole until it exits out of the rear of the hitch receiver, then just click the lock shut. Only about 10 bucks for the lock and probably more secure than the Snug-Tite.

1.0 out of 5 stars Snug-Tite Thule's better idea? A waste of money, an accessory that should have been standard., February 24, 2010
I had to reluctantly replace my old Sportworks rack (moved and had no room to transport it)and found that the simple hitch pin/theft deterrent system Sportworks used has not been carried over by Thule. Instead Thule supplies a 12mm x 40mm short threaded bolt. Then I discovered that Thule wants $50 for a hitch pin bolt w/a cheesy looking yuppie lock "system".
Sporkworks utilized a simple and practical partially threaded hex head bolt w/a hole on opposite end for attaching a small padlock or cotter pin, simple easy, no rattle w/lock washer and impossible for the pin to completely back off.
So I purchased a 12mm dia x 80mm long partially threaded bolt $2.25 that would extend thru the receiver, drilled a hole (you'll want a drill press) that would accommodate a small padlock $1.50 and presto I had an IMO a secure, rattle free "locking hitch pin". The benefit is the bolt extends thru the receiver so the lock is on the opposite side in the event the bolt unthreads it will not come out due to the pad lock and you will not loose your rack & bikes on the road.
I am disappointed that Thule did not provide this type of simple bolt set up like Sportworks did as original equipment. The Snug-Tite one key could have remained an option for those who care about such things but a $400.00 rack should come w/a a basic securing system that has a lock & loss prevention capability. Thinking about it I've never seen a hitch pin that did not extend thru the receiver so a cotter pin could not be used to prevent pin loss.
If I had to do it over I'd buy a KUAT brand Sherpa or better the NV, they come complete w/integrated hitch & bike locks for the same price, the NV has a built in repair stand. Anybody want to buy my once used Thule T-2?

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but could be better/cheaper, November 26, 2008
First off, if you have a Thule hitch mounted rack, this is pretty much what you have to buy if you want a locking hitch pin. This is because the rack is threaded so that you cannot use any other type of locking pin.

The Pros: It does lock. It is threaded like the rack so it reduces vibration.

The Cons: It costs twice what similar items cost. The key has to be used to lock the end onto the pin - my previous lock actually snapped right on and you needed the key to remove it. There's a lot of exposed pin between the hitch receiver and the lock. Not sure why they would find this necessary since it's going on a maximum 2 1/2 inch wide receiver. This gives a thief a small, exposed bolt to cut through. My previous lock (made for Sportworks T2) was almost flush against the receiver, making it very difficult to remove without the key.

I had to "upgrade" my lock when I replaced my Sportworks T2 with the Thule T2 after someone backed into my car. Thule bought the Sportworks design and made a number of changes, all for the worse as far as I can tell. One of these changes was to make sure you have to buy their accessories such as locks, meaning I not only had to replace the rack, I had to replace the lock as well.

This is basically a small bolt with threads at one end, and a simple lock that goes on the other. Similar items can be found for under $20 just about anywhere. It is apparently a very expensive process to press that THULE logo into the plastic cap.

So basically, if you have a Thule rack and want to lock it on, this is your choice. It works but could certainly be better and less expensive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, but not worth the price, August 18, 2008
Chris N (Lufkin, Texas) - See all my reviews
I purchased this thinking it would be an easier, quicker way to remove my bike rack, only to see that I would still have to use a wrench to remove it. If you're not familiar with a Thule rack, it doesn't use a hitch pin to hold it to the receiver, but uses a bolt instead. I was under the impression this lock would work as a pin. Slide it through and lock the end. Not like that at all. Go to a trailer store, buy a hitch pin that accepts a lock and walk out at least $20 better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thule hitch lock, February 23, 2008

3.0 out of 5 stars Agreed. Should be included with Rack., September 23, 2010
Maybe at $10 this would be okay, but at $45, especially for a bike rack that already costs almost $400, this device should be included with the bike rack.

It serves its purpose though, and at least the lock cylinder can be easily replaced with one from a 2 or 6-pack lock set so that all the Thule locks can be changed to use the same key (but that 6-pack lock set goes for an additional $45).

Although no one should kid themselves that these "security" measures guarantee theft-prevention, they are all simply a deterrent against the quick "grab-n-go" low-life thief. Otherwise, no wise person should ever leave their expensive bikes on racks out of direct sight. In fact, they should double up their security measures with steel cable through all wheels, frames, hitch and a quality lock.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the piece of mind, April 30, 2008
My lock came with the lock cylinder, but I ended up switching it out anyway so that all of the Thule locks on my car would have the same key.

This lock is good for one thing- making sure your hitch accessory (in my case a bike rack) does not come off of your car. $30-$40 is alot to pay up front, but the piece of mind is worth it. I don't mind that I had to buy it separately, some people won't use it and that's ok.

I do like the fact that the bolt that comes with it is long enough for 2' or 1.25' hitches and secures both equally well. I'll be able to use this lock for anything, not just a Thule accessory, so that makes the money well spent.

This product did not get a full five stars because I think $30-$40 is too much money for a lock when one can get a sturdy combination lock of similar construction (but no good for hitch securing) for $10 shipped or less in a local hardware store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works like it should, August 28, 2008
JRP (upper, IL) - See all my reviews
I bought this pin along with my Thule Roadway rack. I used the regular bolt that came with the rack while this pin was on the way. Either one will work fine to keep the rack mounted. It is just that this pin has some anti-theft with the key'ed cylinder and would keep the pin in place if the threads ever loosened. I suggest using anti-seize on the threads and shooting some lubrication into the lock cylinder area. Although I feel that $40 is a bit steep.