Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

on July 22, 2012
Granted, this product is nice but I'd advise anyone to think twice about their needs before purchasing. I realized after I got it that a MacBook Air can only take one thunderbolt adapter. And the reason I usually need an adapter is because I'm at a conference podium where the wifi isn't usable. You can't use both this and a display port adapter at the same time so I had to also get a USB adapter.

This adapter is super fast so I plan to keep it for any time I need to do big transfers. But definitely consider your needs a bit more carefully than I did.
44 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2013
I use this cable with my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display, which has two Thunderbolt ports. I am in a University setting where I get pervasive wireless coverage, but I prefer the hard-wired connection's speed, the constant connectivity, and the ability to access networked drives. It is expensive but I very happy with its performance.

Things I really like about this connector:
1. It makes a fast connection. The speed of the data transfer through the connector is a bit hard to gauge in a 'normal' setting since I get almost 100 Mbps on my connection (thus I am not sure I would notice if the connection was slowed some due to the connector).
2. The connector is easy to use and mostly unobtrusive (see below). I am able to plug it in and nearly instantaneously have an internet connection. In addition, my internet connection is up and running as soon as I wake my computer up, which is not always the case with my wireless connection. I am particularly pleased with this re-connection speed.

I do wish they would have used a slightly more flexible cable though. The cable that connects the computer side (the Thunderbolt connection) and the internet connection (the ethernet connection) side is fairly stiff and it unfortunately does not bend out of the way of other cables very easily. It does not interfere with the power cord at all (that connector is quite small), but if I plug in another thunderbolt connector in the real estate on the left side of my desk gets crowded.

A couple other things I have noticed, but that have not yet caused me any problems. The ethernet connection side gets warm during use, though not hot. Also, as other reviewers have pointed out, there is some wiggle room in my Thunderbolt port. I do not think this is this cable's fault I notice the same behavior with the Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter MB572Z/B. The cable has not yet fallen out, nor has my connection dropped so I do not consider this a significant problem.

All in all, the cable works and works well. If you need a hard connection to the internet and have a Thunderbolt port on your Mac, this cable is a fine choice to fit that need!
on November 25, 2012
I have a MacBook Air that I needed to connect to a wired network *and* use my Thunderbolt RAID. I thought I was out of luck. Turns out you can plug this adaptor into the end of your Thunderbolt daisy chain so you get both Ethernet and Thunderbolt connection at the same time! It doesn't have to be directly connected to your Mac. Just make sure your Thunderbolt drive has two plugs so you can daisy chain it.
on February 10, 2013
Gets the job done if you need to do transfers of large files, as the gigabit speeds are much better than you can get over even the fastest wifi.
on August 28, 2014
I certainly can't complain about this adapter: it's well built, it's got the Apple aesthetic, and I get comparable speed test results to a computer with an ethernet port directly on it. But, I'd rather buy a USB 3.0 to gigabit ethernet adapter for a comparable or slightly lower price, given that it will work on a wider range of computers that might not have Apple's proprietary Thunderbolt port. If you've got a Mac with Thunderbolt and USB 2 (no USB 3), then this is clearly the better decision because USB 2 is limited to 480mbps. But if you've got USB 3, why not just go with that? I will say, though, I have yet to find a USB 3 to gigabit ethernet adapter with quite as good of build quality as this Thunderbolt one.
on February 12, 2014
It works great with my Macbook Air. There is no ethernet port on my Macbook Air and I had to find a way to use it. I didn't choose USB to ethernet adapter since there are only two USB ports on the computer and I sometimes use two USB devises. The thunderbolt to ethernet adapter works great. No complains.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 27, 2015
This is a good Apple-made add-on device that allows you to connect a wired Ethernet cable to your Apple Thunderbolt port. So, before you buy it, make sure you HAVE Thunderbolt port on your mac. Most do after 2012, but you have to check your model in specific to ensure the port it present. The advantage? The thunderbolt port is much, much faster than either USB 2 or USB 3, and if you are hooking into a gigabyte speed wired network, the speeds can be really impressive.Yes, it's a bit too expensive, but I suspect there are some embedded electrical components within the plug bodies, and this is something you want working correctly, so on this particular item, I would go with the actual Apple model. It's too physically inflexible, but that might be a good thing in terms of longevity of life (i.e. no broken or frayed cables). And, remember, Thunderbolt is a daisy-chained based system, so even though you have only one Thunderbolt port, you simply keep attaching the next device with the cable to make a daisy chain, all operating at high bandwidth and high speed. Its an important add-on device for your Mac, and so I highly recommend it with five stars,
on June 24, 2013
So far so good. I rather think that this should be part of the macbook instead of having to carry so many adapters. Thin and slim. You win some, you lose some.
on June 22, 2012
I am using the adapter on my 2011 Mac Mini as an additional network interface. I have a Synology 5 bay DS1511 NAS with two network interfaces and I wanted to use the TB ethernet adapter to connect as a private channel to the second NAS net interface. This all works as expected. I have an SSD as my main drive in the Mac Mini and have a 5 disk raid 5 on the NAS. I set the MTU for the NAS and the TB adapter at 9000. On transfer tests for large files I am seeing 118 MB/s peak / 110 MB/s average download speeds and 112 MB/s peak / 100 MB/s average upload speeds. This in the range of what I would expect on a 1Gbps ethernet.

I also got the adapter working booting into Windows 7 x64 with the Broadcom drivers. Similar speeds.

Basically everything works as expected (5 stars), however (-1 star) ...

My Mac Mini no longer stays in sleep mode. This is a known problem with this adapter - Apple's solution - don't use the adapter on the Mac Mini - use the built in ethernet port. I am not happy about this and hope Apple fixes this with software in the future. I really like having two ethernet ports but don't think I can go without the ability to put my Mac to sleep.
on June 25, 2014
Bought the new MacBook Pro and found out it did not have an ethernet port. This was the only option and very expensive. It works but it is no faster than the wireless connection in most cases since there are not that many gigabit switches out there on the road. At the office it is some what faster but check and see if you have a gigabit modem before you spend the money on this cable. I am sure they will come out with an after market version soon since this this connector is WAY over priced from Apple. Go figure!