4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Volume 1, same video/sound issues
I love Thundercats. The stories are well written and well animated. Unfortunately, WB released these episodes without any restoration.

Published on December 5, 2005 by Clayton Steele

1.0 out of 5 stars Great show, terrible dvds
I want to first say that I love Thundercats. Along with gi joe and transformers, it ranks as one of the greatest cartoons of the '80s. The reason for my 1 star review has nothing to do with the show, but instead with the dvds. For such a price it really is highway robbery.

Published on July 19, 2006 by Matthew G Dubiel

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Volume 1, same video/sound issues, December 5, 2005
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)

The good news is that I get to watch them on DVD. Once again, the box art is really cool. The DVD art is awesome as well. I guess that is where the money went into releasing this series. No inserts this time. Will we ever see Season 2? One can only hope.

Fans should be pleased with this sets special features as they are much better than part one. We actually get to see interviews with people from the show including voice actors. They even talk about the outtakes, which I was very happy to see verified.

More continuity issues as the famed Anointment Trials are broken up onto a few discs and are never back to back so if you want to watch them all in a row, prepare to skip around.

Hopefully enough people buy this so that other episodes are released and possibly restored one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Needs To Be Said....Seriously!!!, December 6, 2008
D. Palumbo "DDP" (Bethlehem, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)
This cartoon is just amazing. It immediately took off when it first appeared on tv in 1985. I was 12 so a bit older but still very impressionable and was amazed with the series.

I don't know much about the technicalities of cartoon animation cause I still love scooby doo even though they go past the same spot about ten times as they run away.

But I do know, Thundercats stories have great morals. Very good topics and lessons for all to learn. I am a Christian and would let my children watch this cartoon. I plan on getting the whole series to own.

Simply an amazing show. I think it's great!

If you like this you may also be interested in the ORIGINAL He-man cartoon animation series. He will defend himself from evil. Never aggresively harm another person and helps out his enemy's that are in danger. Very good morals in this cartoon as well. And again with a valuable lesson to learn for all who watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thundercats Fans, Again We Say HO!, September 4, 2005
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)
It is now time to complete the first season of Thundercats- the cartoon story of a long-running battle between good and evil, as our heroes the Thundercats use the power of their mystical sword of Omens to defeat the supernatural powers of the evil mummy Mumm-Ra and the troublesome mutants.

There are various highlights but the most important to the Thundercats saga are Lion-O's annointment trial days as he earns the right to be Lord of the Thundercats. On Day 1 he challenges Panthro's strength, on day 2 he challenges Cheetara's speed, on day 3 WilyKit and WilyKat's cunning, day 4 Tygra's mind power, and day 5 is the big one as he challenges his most powerful enemy Mumm-Ra. It is the first time we see Mumm-Ra destroyed- he was destroyed several times throughout the series before the Thundercats finally decided to leave him in existence and deal with him when it became necessary. I remember seeing the trials for the first time back-to-back but they are spread out between various episodes here. I think that's how it was originally broadcast. Other highlights include mutant Monkian confronting Mumm-Ra, the sword Excalibur defeating the sword of Omens and the introduction of Mumm-Rana. There are so many highlights here which nostalgic fans will be very happy to revisit. It is also the last time we see the adventures of just the original Thundercats, for new Thundercats are introduced at the beginning of Season 2.

This boxset has 1 special feature- Thundercats Ho! The Making of a Pop Culture Phenomenon. In it Executive Producer Arthur Rankin Jr. shares secrets from the show.

For those new to Thundercats this holds up very well with current television cartoon series- the animation may indeed be average but the action and adventure is top notch. And to nostalgic Thundercats fans, again we say HO!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Thundercats!, September 2, 2012
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)
I was five when the original ThunderCats series aired. I remember sitting directly in front of the TV and eagerly watched each exciting episode. The sets were expensive when they first came out, but I waited a few years until they were about twenty dollars each!

The episodes in Season One Volume Two are:

The Shifter
Fond Memories

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boxset, December 30, 2005
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)
I know the dvds arent remastered are anything like that, I am just happy that Tcats are out on dvd. I dont problems with my sets, I wasnt missing any soundtrack on the first volume.

Yes, they could have been remastered and all that, but like I said, I am just excited to be able to watch them again, the tapes i had them on are getting old, pushing 18-20 year old VHS tapes, that quality was getting bad.

Just a side note to some, the Annointment Trials were originally broadcasted once a week for 5 weeks (the other 4 days were other new episodes), so the DVD is in the original broadcast order, they were rerun back to back in the subsequent reruns of the show.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great show, terrible dvds, July 19, 2006
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)

The episodes look like they were taken from tv. No remastering or enhancement, you can still see white marks and scratches. Also, as mentioned in another review, the background music is missing from some episodes. Along with that, the menus are sorely lacking. They're very short and without any imagination or flair. Except for the main menu, all the submenus are just still images from the show.

And don't fall for the specials. There is a 25 minute documentary with some of the voice artists and producers, but it felt rushed. Not all of the voice artists were interviewed, and with such a show, I'm sure they have enough material for a full 60 minute documentary. One further complaint, no chapters in the episodes. The entire episode is just one big chapter. At least rhino was able to split the episodes into scenes.

I would swallow my pride if this cost 19.99 or thereabouts, but not for this price. The lack of detail and quality just shows all over this release; don't you just hate corporate greed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thundercats - pure and simple!, December 3, 2005
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)
I don't care about extra features or remastered "special editions" of these classic cartoons... I just want the great experience I had 20 years ago as I remember it, all over again!!!

I bet all of these people complaining about the poor original quality of Thundercats are the same geeks who were mortified by George Lucas' changes to the Star Wars movies, as they demanded the original versions! These people are walking contradictions! And about the company...

Warner Bros did make good on their promise to correct the mistake of disc one: they reissued disc one (via mail) with music restored to the second episode to whoever signed up for it. I received mine, checked it out, and it was great. They have restored my faith in them. Volume 2 should be awesome!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Season One, Volume Two!, April 29, 2009
Servo (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)
Picking up where Thundercats - Season One, Volume One left off, with the remaining 32 episodes of the first season, Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two is a 6-disc (736 min.) set which contains episodes 34-65 of 65 from the first season. The set features Full Frame (1.33:1) video; English, French, Spanish mono audio; English, Spanish, French subtitles; plus the following Special Feature: "Thundercats Ho! Creating a Pop-Culture Phenomenon" - Featurette explores the origin and creation of the characters and also examines the popularity of the series thru interviews with cast and crew. Episodes include: Queen of 8 Legs, Sword in a Hole, The Evil Harp of Charr-Nin, Lion-O's Anointment First Day: Trial of Strength, The Demolisher, Monkian's Bargain, Tight Squeeze, The Micrits, Lion-O's Anointment Second Day: Trial of Speed, The Rock Giant, Jackalman's Rebellion, Turmagar the Tuska, Lion-O's Anointment Third Day: Trial of Cunning, The Mumm-Ra Berbil, Mechanical Plague, Trapped, Lion-O's Anointment Fourth Day: The Trial of Mind Power, Excalibur, The Secret of the Ice King, Good and Ugly, The Transfer, Divide and Conquer, Dream Master, Out of Sight, The Mountain, The Superpower Potion, Eye of the Beholder, Lion-O's Anointment Final Day: The Trial of Evil, The Trouble with Thunderkittens, Mumm-Rana, The Shifter, Fond Memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thundercats, December 21, 2006
Awesome!!!

A work of art. Better than most of the cartoons out today.

Buy this boxed set, it is worth every dollar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved Quality for Seaon One, Volume Two, March 21, 2006
This review is from: Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two (DVD)
Following a hunch, I finally ordered the Season One, Volume Two DVD, despite reported problems by previous owners. My hunch included the fact that (1)Warner Brothers plans a theatrical release of the "Thundercats" cartoon and (2)the Region 2 DVD release in the UK includes the title card for "The Evil Harp of Charr-Nin," which is missing from the US release.

What I received in the mail is a Region 1 DVD visually compatible to what I understand the quality of the Region 2 DVD to be. Unfortunately, "The Evil Harp of Charr-Nin" is still missing its title card. The video quality, though, in my opinion, is much better than the initial release.

If you're a "Thundercats" fan, I strongly recommend sampling the 2008 DVDs by purchasing a set while the DVDs are at their reduced price.

Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two
Thundercats - Season One, Volume Two by Larry Kenney (DVD - 2006)
$64.92 $14.40