5.0 out of 5 stars The best DVR on the market
Published on October 11, 2011 by Samuel J. Biller

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - UPDATE June 2013
Published on August 30, 2012 by M. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars The best DVR on the market, October 11, 2011
This review is from: TiVo TCD758250 Premiere XL4 Digital Video Recorder (Black) (Electronics)
I purchased a TiVo Premiere Elite box on launch day from Best Buy. I would have preferred to purchase on Amazon but it wasn't available. I was basically expecting a very similar experience to what is available on my TiVo Premiere. To my surprise the Elite has significantly improved performance most likely attributable to a new software build which enables dual-core support (14.9). This hasn't been completely confirmed but the Elite boots up in about 3 minutes while the traditional Premiere takes about 8 minutes to boot up. A software upgrade is probably coming to the entire Premiere platform which will increase performance on the Premiere to be equivalent to the Elite. The other pleasant surprise in the new software is the support for multi-room streaming in addition to the familiar multi-room view (transfer) that has been present in the TiVo since the beginning. The problem with transfer is the inability to transfer copy protected content. The streaming support gets around that limitation. On the hardware side of things the 2TB video optimized quiet hard drive from Western Digital works as expected and stores an enormous amount of video. Its been confirmed that the Elite includes a gigabit ethernet port so this is the first TiVo that exceeds the 100MB limit on ethernet. The Elite also includes MoCA technology which allows reliable whole-home connections over existing coaxial connections. As of this review there are some issues on the TiVo server side enabling the video on demand options so I will update the review when I can test that part of the experience. The High Definition User Interface (HDUI) menus are very snappy on the Elite compared to the Premiere. I highly recommend the Premiere Elite as the center of a whole home DVR experience.

10/28/2011 Update:
The problems associated with video on demand from Netflix, Amazon, etc. have been resolved. The multi-room streaming (MRS) which removes any issues associated with copy protected content has been disabled. I'm expecting TiVo to re-enable this in the next few weeks as this capability is starting to roll-out to TiVo Premiere boxes on the RCN cable network. The HDUI menus are definitely faster than the Premiere running 14.8 software but it has been acknowledged by TiVo and RCN that they are working on another software build that will offer a more significant improvement in menu speed. It has also been posted that TiVo is working on a 1080p Netflix app that offers an improved user experience.

11/19/2011 Update:
TiVo pushed a software update to all Elite's yesterday that brings the software to version 14.9.2. This update is mostly to resolve a number of bug fixes according to representatives of TiVo. Overall I remain very pleased with the Elite. TiVo has hinted on twitter that we will be getting a major software update in early 2012 which will hopefully update the feature set to be closer to the Virgin Media TiVo that is deployed in the UK.

2/4/2012 Update:
The major software update I hinted at in my November Update has gone live on all TiVo boxes. This is a dramatic software architecture change that makes the box even better. Unfortunately I can't add any more stars on my 5-star review. TiVo has also posted on their blog that updates to the Netflix and Youtube clients are being released this spring which will be a welcome change. Hulu Plus is now fully integrated into the TiVo Search and the user interface is much faster than it was on the 14.9.2 update. The new software is version 20.2.

6/11/2012 Update:
TiVo pushed a new software update to all TiVo Premiere (Series 4) boxes in May 2012 which replaces the Netflix app, the YouTube app, and adds Parental Controls to the high definition user interface (HDUI). There are also many bug fixes that improve the stability of the platform although there are a few users who are now reporting issues with Multi-Room Streaming (MRS). The one update that was most important to me was a fix for an Amazon Instant Video Pixelation/Macroblocking issue that is now fixed. TiVo has also released support for Comcast Xfinity On Demand in the San Francisco Bay Area and Greater Boston area which is a huge plus if you happen to be in those market areas. I'm looking forward to another software update later this summer or early fall which will add more high definition menu updates and improved support for the whole home DVR experience. This software update should accompany the release of a new TiVo Stream box and IP-only set top box. I'm interested in both boxes. The TiVo Stream transcodes live and recorded television for viewing and side-loading onto devices like my iPad. The IP set top allows a user to hijack a live tuner from the Elite/XL4 and watch live and recorded television on another TV without the need to purchase another Premiere box. This eliminates the need to have a CableCARD on that television which saves money.

11/6/2012 Update:
TiVo is pushing a new software update to TiVo Premiere (Series 4) boxes in November 2012 which further upgrades the user experience and performance of the boxes. The most visible change to the experience are three (3) new high definition screens. They are the Season Pass Manager, To Do List, and History. There are also new HD screens associated with scheduling manual recordings, and finding programs by time or channel. TiVo didn't just convert the screens to HD, they added functionality liek the ability to easily see conflicts in the To Do List. You'll also notice that you can now manage favorites and channels right from the Grid Guide and you can click left in the Grid Guide to go back in time which is something I've been wanting for a long time. When it comes to handling a multi-TiVo household, you now have better control of a remote Premiere DVR and the remote shows list is also in HD. You now have the ability to manage the remote DVR as well - this feature was likely established for the upcoming TiVo Mini IP Set Top box and the Preview non-DVR box that is already released to TiVo's cable partners. Another minor update is you can change the name of the DVR without the need to go to the TiVo web site. Since my last update, TiVo also released the TiVo Stream box (separate purchase required) that connects to your home network and allows you to stream your recordings or pseudo-live TV to iOS devices (Android coming in early 2013) from any Premiere that is hard-wired (MoCA or Ethernet) to your local network. Finally, TiVo has made a number of performance tweaks. My Elite/XL4 is noticeably faster (less sluggish) when navigating the menus. Season Pass re-ordering is now done in the background. There are many bug fixes as well but TiVo has not released the details on those. I will update this review again when TiVo released the Mini IP Set Top box to retail sometime next year with another software update for dynamic tuner hijacking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy MAC, FOUR Tuners, this is unreal!, October 30, 2011
We are the TiVo family: as it is all in the timing, we were seeking to get a new TiVo and so glad we waited for the few weeks as the new model revealed the four tuners! Very easy to set up and we are Verizon Fios Customer and now you can grab a cable card from the Verizon shop or pay postal for it to be delivered to you.; now you can initiative the cable card on your own via the automated phone or website. It took all of 15 minutes to activate the cable card! Sooo easy. no more making an appointment with a technician.

So with four tuners it means we can record four channels simultaneously, record one Internet program whilst watching a pre-recorded show!! We were coming up with needing to record three programs and our two tuner TiVo couldn't cope! So much storage that we don't need to buy an external hard drive to store the HD program that we have for our TiVo Series 3.

We love that out TiVo series three and Elite can talk to each other. We notices if we started watching one program in one room, we can pick it up where we left off on the other TiVo! How cool is this. The transfer replay quality is great as if your were watching it from the original TiVo that recorded the show. Note that transfer is wireless and hence if you have N then it will be a lot quicker.

We love that the IPad has an app for TiVo and now I can search for programs to record without interrupting the program that we are watching. How cool is that! The new TiVo interface allows a smaller screen of the program that you are watching (top right of TV screen) whilst you are searching for shows to record or to search in 'my shows' that were previously recorded.

Didnt even think about it, we bought the lifetime license for it as most TiVo last about 7 to 8 years for us; so it really pays off for us.

Only wished they kept the clock on the front screen!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - UPDATE June 2013, August 30, 2012
I ordered the Tivo XL4 because, let's face it, who wouldn't want 4 tuners - especially with my wife and I and all the shows we watch? As a Cablevision customer, I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to switch the cable card from my oldest model, the HD and seamlessly pair it to the XL4 over the phone. Then, I was amazed at the boot up time of but a few minutes - compared to the other models which you could shower, shave and eat breakfast and it still wouldn't be finished. Using the iPad Tivo app, I was able to easily transfer all of our season passes to the XL4 and cancel them on the HD XL, which will now be my secondary machine. I like the the look of the new interface and many of the new added features. After that - the fun ends. For all of the chest-beating by Tivo about how revolutionary the XL 4 is, I have found it to be incredibly SLOW when trying to work the menus and select programs to watch. It goes at a snail's pace. At this point, I would be happy if the XL4 would operate at least as quickly as the HD XL. Furthermore, the Hulu Plus app doesn't work and keeps returning me to the main menu telling me to try later. Thank God I have Apple TV or my $7.99/mo. subscription would be wasting away. I sure hope a software update fixes the HuluPlus issues and, most importantly, SPEEDS UP the damn machine. Seriously, I'm not joking - the XL4 is like buying a Ferrari with a 4-cylinder from a Ford Focus. This long time Tivo customer is xtremely disappointed.

****UPDATE JUNE 2013****

One would have thought that a company like TiVo, which makes DVRs and nothing else, facing renewed stiff competition from cable company DVRs, would have done something in the way of a software update to speed up the incredibly, annoyingly, unacceptably SLOW as molasses XL4, but they apparently have no problem letting their customers suffer on a daily basis navigating an interface that is easily surpassed by the movement of a sloth. Evidently, they have no respect for their customers who parted with $400-500 of their money to buy what TiVo advertised as their best machine. I should have realized they were asleep at the wheel the past 4 years as Cablevision, et. al., have caught up to them in the DVR wars. A company has little respect for its customers when they make them pay another $150 to stream to their tablets. I guarantee you when I've passed the break even point, or if I can sell this machine, I will return to a Cablevision DVR. Shame on you, TiVo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tivo Premiere Elite Great DVR, November 19, 2011
I just added an Elite to go with my other two Tivo's, and so far it's working great.

The initial setup was long. The Tivo instructions say to insert the cable card when the guided setup asks about it. Don't do that. Wait until after the guided setup is complete. Some cable cards can cause the guided setup to go into an infinite loop. Between the guided setup, initializing the cable card and gathering up all the Software upgrades and menu downloads the whole process took a couple of hours.

Once it was running, I set up the menus in SD mode. Much faster and easier to work with than HD menus. I got rid of the sounds, went through my channel list and got everything in order.

After it was all done, I tested recording in HD, along with SD and TV watching. The Elite works great for me. I'm on Comcast and things went as planned.

On the Elite, I can record four HD shows at once and store 300 hours of HD without adding an external disc. I can alternatively store 2800 hours of SD. I have a Panasonic V series Plasma and SD looks great on it, so sometimes I just record the SD version of a show. Adding an external 1 TB drive would give me an additional capacity of 150 hours of HD and a 2 TB external drive would add 300 more hours capacity for HD.

Adding the 1 TB external is easy. Anyone can do it. Adding the 2 TB is not straightforward and most people will have to use a service like Weaknees to do that. As an alternative, Tivo plus software let's you move movies from Tivo to a computer and back, so that's another way to add capacity. If you need to store more than 2700 hours of SD or 300 hours of HD, you've got issues which additional capacity won't solve.

My other two Tivo's are networked with the Elite. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to transfer a one hour SD show to another Tivo and three to five times longer to transfer an HD show. HD shows take up a lot of disc space, approximately ten times as much as a std def show. I have a fast hardwired network and that makes a big difference. Wifi is slower.

I'm only going to store HD shows on the Elite Tivo and keep the SD shows on my series 3 Tivo to best use the disc space on each one. The 3rd Tivo is dedicated to shows my wife likes that I can't stand like the X Factor. I don't want to even see them in the Tivo menu so I don't look on her Tivo often. Before the Elite, I recorded most shows in SD and few in HD. With the huge capacity of the Elite, I'm now recording nearly everything in HD. There are cable channels that are in HD range but broadcast older shows where the quality of the broadcast is not truly HD. I try not to record those in HD, if I know they are on the schedule.

I have had problems with digital artifacts and HD recording early terminations on previous Tivo's. That can be caused by weak signals, too hot a signal (add an attenuator), cable cards or hard drives. It's not easy to diagnose and fix those kinds of problems if they happen to you. It is one of the issues in DVR management. And yes, those same problems exist with cable company cracker box DVR's.

Anyway, I like my Elite.

1.0 out of 5 stars TiVo Service spoiled by advertising and flawed interface, October 10, 2012
The "new" flags on your unwatched recordings, a very handy feature of the old TiVo, seem now to be worthless -- the new software keeps a "new" badge on almost everything, whether you've watched it or not. Also, the Tivo display is littered with advertisements, banners, and icons for programs, services, and household products that you probably don't want to see but cannot get rid of, unless you go back to the old low resolution SD Tivo display. For example, just push "pause" during a show or movie, and you'll usually get an advertisement for paper towels or cleaning product, etc. One of Tivo's most appealing original features was the ability to skip commercials, but now Tivo has diminished that benefit by selling advertising space on its own interface. Advertising should not be a mandatory part of a "premium" service for which you pay a substantial fee.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 Tuners are great, but not the performance, May 20, 2012
I've been a user of Tivo for quite a few years. When I purchased the original Tivo Premiere about 2 years ago, I had a fair bit of buyers remorse. The Premiere didn't do anything particularly better than the Series 3 it replaced, and the HD menus were way too slow for me to tolerate.

The January 2012 software update to v20.2 *finally* changed that. The HD menus were updated and performance improved enough that I decided to use the HD menus exclusively. The speed wasn't great, but it was much tolerable.

All that being said, with the recent price reduction of the Elite/XL4, I thought it would be a good time to get in on it. Recording up to 4 shows at once is a nice feeling and I never have to worry about program overlaps.

What I didn't expect, however, was the sluggish performance resurfacing once again. I suspect this is a result of the hard drive doing double-duty (always buffering 4 channels), but it is noticeably slower than the other Premiere Tivos. This is disappointing and unfortunate.

I am tolerating it because I like having the 4 tuners, but it's not yet working at what I'd consider a "decent" speed -- at the speed of a 2-tuner Tivo Premiere.

I'll update the review if/when things change.

Pros:
- Records 4 shows at once
- Streams between other Tivo Premiere boxes
- The newest Netflix app is cool
- MoCA support
- Consumes only 21-23 watts of power typically

Cons:
- Sluggish all-around performance
- New Youtube app is barebones and unintuitive
- Doesn't bake fresh donuts

4.0 out of 5 stars Love TiVo Generally; Not Thrilled with New Interface, February 16, 2012
This is my third TiVo. I have a Series 3 XL, a Premiere XL and the new Premiere Elite. I absolutely would not buy any other brand of DVR and I was more than happy to get rid of the Comcast DVR box that we were using in our family room. I LOVE the capabilities of the new Elite box. We have many shows that overlap and particularly with the cable channels that we watch (History, Discovery, TLC, etc.) the shows run an extra minute or so into the next hour. The recording capability of the Elite allows us to capture those extra couple of minutes without worrying that other shows will be clipped. I also really like the ability to transfer shows among my other TiVos. That comes in very handy when you have recorded something on the bedroom TiVo but want to watch it on the family room TiVo. And the 2TB storage capacity ensures that we will have plenty of programming to watch the next time that the cable goes out for days at a time, which unfortunately, is all too often in my area. That's where TiVo Suggestions come in very handy. I just let it record at will and save all the suggestions for when the cable is out or we have nothing else to watch.

My one complaint about the Elite is its responsiveness to commands from the remote. There is definitely a delay that I don't experience with either of my other TiVos. This is a minor complaint but is enough of an annoyance as to cause me to withhold a star on my review. I am also not thrilled with the Premiere interface generally. I much prefer the Series 3 interface. In particular, I don't like the the ribbon of suggestions that appear at the top of the My Shows menu. I would love a way to turn it off. It always seems as if I accidentally navigate to it while trying to do something else.

Overall, though, you can't go wrong with the Premiere Elite. It's simply the best, easiest to use DVR out there. And one final note: we had a terrible time getting the crappy Comcast cablecard to work. We went through multiple cablecards before we found one that would work. At one point we thought the TiVo box was defective. We spent a couple of hours on the phone with TiVo support in an effort to troubleshoot the problem and I have to say that the service/support we received from TiVo was FANTASTIC! Our support rep was really motivated to find the problem and even offered to speak to Comcast for us. The problem ended up being on Comcast's end (not surprising!) but our TiVo support rep stayed on the line with us and Comcast until the problem was solved.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE TiVo to Get!, April 25, 2012
I have another Tivo, a TiVo TCD746320 Premiere DVR, Black. I hated having to record different shows on other time slots, i.e., recording Game of Thrones at 11pm instead of 9p because other networks shows like the Celebrity Apprentice aired at 9pm. Now, Sunday night, or any night for that matter is not a problem:

Real Housewives of Atlanta (Don't laugh!), Game of Thrones, The Celebrity Apprentice & Chopped - All Stars all shows that come on 9pm all recorded at the same time and are watched at my convenience.

This is also the slimmest TiVo so far and doesn't take up anymore space than the TiVo Premiere. It looks "right" in your entertainment center or rack and is extremely quiet. The drives inside are Western Digital Caviar Green drives that run at 5400rpm. This box includes a HDMI cable (NICE!), component audio and video cables, power cord, ethernet cable, instructions, etc. The best part is the "premium" remote, but I like the original premium Glo Remote with the 1-2 switch better. A set of THX glasses is included to help calibrate between source and output, but I haven't used those yet.

Promotional material states "300 Hours" of HD programming, but I have a mix of 200+ HD recordings, some 1/2 hour, 1 hour, etc., and my TiVo is only 44% full. A lot of cable providers (here's looking at you Comcast) compress their HD signal, so instead of 9GB of recording space for each hour of HD material, it's about 5-6GBs which lets you record more. Unfortunately, you might notice artifacts, or small blockiness in fast moving action movies, scenes with lots of water, etc. It's not TiVo's fault, it's your digital cable provider, or FioS. You can add the 500GB or 1TB expander for up to 3TB of storage or about 450 hours of HD television. WOW!

You MUST have digital cable or Verizon FioS. This will not record shows OTA. Don't buy this expecting to record NBC, CBS, FOX, etc on your antennae. Not going to happen. Now on to the review. You should also know that you can not use Video on Demand with the retail Premiere Elite boxes. The biggest cable provider in the country, Comcast, currently has a trial in the Southern California region. I don't use VOD on that much, so this is not a big thing to me, but for others this may be a barrier to entry. When this completes,vif you have xfinity, you'll be able to access VOD content with your retail Premiere boxes. In June 2012, they are supposed to roll out VOD to Boston, MA as well. Hoping that Philly, home of Comcast HQ is next. :)

The setup is pretty straight forward, you turn it on, setup what country, zip code, etc., and go from there. Maybe, the most complicated part of the setup could be two things: Guide Information and CableCard pairing.

For instance, Comcast slices up Philadelphia into several confusing names and if you select the wrong guide info, you might not receive the right channel line up; or pairing your cable could be a little difficult as well. If you call some providers, they can be helpful, others have no clue about CableCards whatsoever and you become a little frustrated. The Comcast CableCard hoteline is 1-877-405-2298. Beyond that, setup is pretty easy and can take up to an hour or so. Allow time to let your TiVo download updates, grab the guide information, etc. It will reboot a time or two or might take connecting to the TiVo network to get all updates.

Things I really like about the TiVo:

As a side before, having four tuners is GREAT. Conflicts are a thing of the past, I can finally watch one show while recording 4 others. This will be incredibly helpful during the Summer Olympics in London 2012.

The multi room viewing and streaming are nice. If you happen to have two or more Premieres on the same network, you can either view other shows on other TiVo boxes, or even transfer them between boxes. Content on networks such as HBO usually don't let you transfer content to another box, but you can stream it. It's best to do this with a wired network versus a wireless network. If you do decide to do this wirelessly, use the TiVo Wireless N adapter. Be warned though, the N adapter has a power cord and is not completely powered by the USB port like the TiVo Wireless Adapter is. I thought the Tivo Wireless N adapter was pretty pricey, so I purchased a Netgear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi adapter. It is USB powered, and an Ethernet cable plus into the ethernet port of course and it's powered by the USB port on my TiVo. No more stuttering or pausing on TiVo transfers.

I like that Hulu Plus is supported and the app is pretty decent. All of the Hulu Plus apps pretty much have the same interface across all platforms so maybe that's more a compliment for Hulu. The app supports 1080p I believe and is a pretty good app, but sometimes the remote acts in funky ways and before you know it, you are knocked out of the Hulu interface inadvertently.

I like the Guide. The HD guide is nice and I can usually go up to 14 or more days in advance to see shows, etc. The Spring 2012 update included improvements to the guide which made it even better. I like that you can click on info to see what the other tuners are recording and then jump to that tuner. A feature request would be to see a description as well somehow without overly crowding the interface.

I like the automatic recording of suggestions, but what I can't stand is how the Discovery Bar changes based on what your browsing in the My Shows section, but changes as soon as you try to move the arrow up to look at the suggestion. Incredibly frustrating!

Recoding a show from the iPhone and iPad app is incredibly nice, even more amazing from the iPad, but the fact that you can't stream shows to your iPad on the same network is LAME.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

TiVo calls this the One Box for Everything, but there isn't HBO Go, or Max Go, or EPIX, or Vudu or CinemaNow, etc. I have to go back to my PS3 for some of those services. Also, at the MSRP price of $399, wireless should be built in. To still not have wireless built in when other $59 streaming players on the market have them is kind of sad. Yes, the premium Glo Remote is nice, but I'd rather have wireless built in.

In Early May 2012, TiVo released a "Spring Update" that mainly introduced three main features:

New interface for Netflix
New interface for Youtube
Parental Control in HD menus

Previously, to use parental controls, you had to use the SD (standard definition) menus. Now, this is finally available in the HD menu. This may be huge for some people, but I never used parental controls and supposedly they are not as good as KidZone used to be on the Series3 platform, etc.

To get this update a little faster, you can enter your TSN (Tivo Service Number) at [...]. This will put you higher up on the list of people getting this update. On May 10th, 2012 the day it was released, I had it waiting for me on my TiVo ready to install, all I had to was wait till 2am for it automatically reboot and install, or reboot the TiVo myself to install the update. Of course, I rebooted the TiVo right after Chopped recorded. :)

Other new features in the Spring Update included the new Netflix interface, it pretty much looks like the Netflix interface you would see on the PS3, Roku, etc.., it's actually modern now and you can see more than just your Instant Queue. Now, you can search, see suggestions, etc. Previously, you couldn't do this. Subtitles, Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and other goodies were added too.

Once you have the Spring Update 2012 update installed, you more than likely will have to uncheck, then recheck NetFlix as a video provider under Settings --> Channels --> My Video Providers. Sounds odd, but as of the timing of this review, this is the way to get the app started. You'll also have to reenter your username and password. I personally liked the netflix.com/activate website. It does take 20-40 secs to the load the app at first. When you first start to stream a show on Netflix, the software will test your connection so the content may not be in HD like your TV may support, after a few seconds, the screen will redraw and you'll see the content based off of what connection you have. Some people have reported that this is a little slower than they would like, but for me, it was 2-5 seconds.

The first episode I streamed of Law & Order: SVU was a little odd, the video and audio seemed out of sync just by a small amount. Maybe it was my connection, or just me, but it kind of threw me off. I haven't heard of other users reporting this.

The YouTube interface is much like the Leanback interface that they recently rolled out with on other platforms. I am not a big YouTube viewer so this wasn't big for me, but the difference between the old interface and the new one is huge. You can sync up your phone with your TiVo and watch YouTube videos on your TiVo. Nice.

After the Spring Update was announced, TiVo also announced that more parts of the interface were going HD such as the Season Pass Manager, To Do List and My Shows for Multi Room Streaming were planned. No time frame was given. This is nice because some parts of the Premiere are still in SD menus and it looks like on a HD television.

UPDATE: 20.2.2 Software Update

TiVo has updated the Premiere line with a number of updates. The Season Pass Manager is now in HD as well, this was so needed bechodause if you made any change in the order of the season passes, it would hold the UI hostage and stay there while the season passes were updated. This would take up to 5 minutes. Now it's instant, so that is pretty cool.

Also, when you browse the Now Playing List on other Premiere units, it is now in HD as well, before it would drop down to the standard definition UI which sucked, but it's in HD now which is nice. It makes sense instead of having the interface in SD and then in other parts, HD.

The To List is also in HD as well and will show potential conflicts, but with 4 tuners, it is pretty hard to run into conflicts anyway, but it's all in HD glory as well. NICE!

Lastly, TiVo and Comcast FINALLY brought Comcast/Xfinity On Demand to the Philadelphia, PA area and it is glorious! I can finally feel like a true customer. The interface is in HD as well and works just like the On Demand functions would work with a cable box. It actually might save me some space, so check tivo.com and see if OnDemand is in your area.

Overall, I like my Premiere Elite/Premiere XL4 alot. As soon as the XL6 comes out, I would probably get that. :) DVRs from the cable company are not as good as TiVo and you actually own the hardware.

4.0 out of 5 stars The TiVo I've Been Waiting For, June 15, 2012
This Elite/XL4 replaces my TiVo HD, which was essentially worthless for HD recording without an added My DVR Expander external drive. Finally, a TiVo with generous storage space!
The 4 turners are also great - with my old TiVo with 2 turners, I did have occasion when a program wouldn't record or got clipped, or I had to decide between watching a live program or allowing the TiVo to record two programs.

I was able to transfer programs from my old TiVo to this new one, and also make use of the on-line Season Pass transfer utility. I completed the Guided Setup before installing the Cable Card. After transferring the card from my old TiVo to the new one, I called Comcast and they sent a signal to the card, and it started working within seconds - a great relief after reading about the "pairing" problems others have mentioned. (I don't plan to continue using the old TiVo.)

For long time TiVo users, it should be noted that this TiVo model cannot receive ANY channels without a Cable Card, cannot be connected to an antenna, and can no longer use a phone connection as an alternative to the Internet as a method for connecting to the TiVo service. I agree with others that it is kind of lame that WiFi is still not built in. I received the Spring 2012 software update very shortly after installation. I still find that on occasion, some functions are kind of slow - and you see the rotating gear symbol. The new HD interface/menus takes a little getting used to, but if it really bothers you, you can switch back to the SD version.

I agree with the comments of others, since the TiVo service costs the same, if you have the money to spend up-front, it makes sense to get the model for which you can receive and store the most programing - which, at least at this time, is the XL4 model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do not run guided set up without a cable card, May 29, 2012
I found problems close to those reported by others on this site. I have set up more than 10 Tivo series 4 but this was the first Elite. I followed the routine of running setup before I got a cable card, on all the other series 4 this was not an issue, even with a tuning adapter. With the Elite channels would not download, then premiums were not "authorized". Sounded like all the other disaster cable card problems.

Cable guy came out, had no clue, tried another cable card no luck. Then with a 3rd cable card I started guided set up again but this time with the 3rd cable card and tuning adapter activated before running guided setup and instant success as soon as setup finished. So when it says you can complete set up without a cable card it does not appear to work with the Elite.