4.0 out of 5 stars It works really well for streaming around the house...
UPDATE (2013-08-02):

I've had the TiVo Stream for about 9 months now. It does what I expect it to do but, in the real world, it's rare that I'm sitting around my home and thinking, "I want to stream (whatever).." Also, it's very rare that I actually use it for copy shows off of my TiVo onto my iPhone or iPad because it's just so slow.

I suppose at...
Published 20 months ago by B. S. Bishop

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost useless for downloading
Let's be clear, here... The biggest issue with this device is not TiVo's fault. It is the fault of over zealous content providers.

Published 8 months ago by Jimmy Little

4.0 out of 5 stars It works really well for streaming around the house..., November 3, 2012
B. S. Bishop (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
UPDATE (2013-08-02):

I suppose at the end of the day my verdict is: I could unplug it and I don't think I'd miss it.

ORIGINAL:

First, what it doesn't do: It doesn't let you stream outside your network. If you want to stream outside your network then something like a SlingBox is the way to go.

Now, for what it does do: It'll stream recorded shows from your TiVo to your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. It'll allow you to download recorded shows from your TiVo to your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. You can stream live TV but it really just setups a recording and then starts streaming that recording to your iPad or iPhone.

What works really well is the streaming of recorded shows. You select a show, push the 'Watch on my iPhone' button and off you go. You can watch as long as you stay within range of your wireless network.

For streaming of live TV, it works well, too, but it's going to leave little recordings around on your TiVo. So, if you see 'Local Nightly News' is live in the guide, and start to stream it, it'll setup that recording, stream it to your iDevice and you'll be happy. When you go back into your Now Playing List on your TiVo you're going to see a recording of "Local Nightly News". Now, you could argue that it should clean this up or you could argue that it should hide it or maybe there ought to be an option. As it is, it's just sort of left there. Not a huge deal but it just seems like it should have an option to hide / cleanup such recordings unless you specifically say, "Record this program."

Downloading to your iDevice: Here's where if falls a little short. Yes, you can download non-copy protected shows to your iDevice. There are a few things to note with this:
- Things like movies on HBO will almost always be copy protected.
- Some cable companies (wrongly) copy protect everything in their lineup (thankfully mine doesn't). So research a little to make sure you don't fall into that camp.
- You kind of have to baby-sit the downloads as there's no automatic way to make it happ. You can't, for instance, tell it, "Download and keep all of the latest Simpsons episodes," so you'd always have something to watch on mass transit on your way to work. Instead you have to individually select what you want on your iDevice each day that you want to watch something different.
- The downloading takes some time. A 30min show is going to run you about 5mins and a 1hr show will run you about 10min. Not a big deal but say you want to load up 5 shows on your iDevice to watch that day - you're now spending nearly 30mins to do it. So it's not like something where you can get out of the shower, select a few shows, and then head out the door. You're going to need to set it up probably the night before or just as soon as you get up and, because, as I mentioned above, there's no automated way to do this, you'll be selecting each program you want to watch individually each day.
- When downloading the TiVo app has to remain open. So if you're downloading 5 shows at nearly 30mins your iDevice is going to be stuck on the TiVo app until it's done. As mentioned above you'll probably want to do this the night before and charge it while it happens. It's not stuck in that it's frozen the device. You can still exit out and do other things but if you do so the downloads will be paused until you open the TiVo app back up and allow it to finish.

So, the downloading works, but really isn't convenient. I'd have a hard time imagining someone using it day to day. It'd probably work well for loading up some shows for the kids for a trip. You'd just need to plan beforehand so that all of the shows you like were loaded before you left (so think a night or two before depending on how much you're loading).

Oh, one other thing about downloading that's not so great. You have two quality modes. Think of them as 'low' and 'high'. I can't tell the difference between the two on my iPhone. The low quality will be about 300MB/30min. The high quality will take up 500MB/30min. Now, the annoying thing is that there isn't a setting to say, "Always use high quality when downloading," or "Always use low quality when downloading" (and if they did add that setting it'd be nice if they added, "Always ask"). The problem with this is that while you're are selecting each program individually to download, which is already rather tedious, you're greeted with this other option in the app in the app each and every time you select a show to download.

I think if they added the preferred quality setting to the menu, allowed you to download either individual programs or groups, and maybe add some kind of automated iDevice Season Pass like option, that they'd be well on their way to making this a 5 star - and, really, most of this review is about the app and not the Stream but you're interfacing with app to use the Stream. I still think they're going to be stuck with having to have the app open while you download as I believe it's just a limitation of iOS.

Finally, they need to update the app to support the iPhone 5's larger screen.

To my knowledge there is not currently an Android app (Nov 2012) but one is supposed to be available in 2013 so you Android users make sure that there's an app first and it supports the TiVo Stream before buying this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Silly Restrictions, November 6, 2012
ithos (Naperville, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TiVo TCDA94000 Stream (Electronics)
The TiVo Stream is a great product that is badly marred by TiVo's restrictions. Eliminate one critical flaw, and I would give this 5 stars.

Pros

* Easy to set up
* Can stream over WiFi if you do it right
* Great picture quality on iPhone, iPad

Cons

* Set-up time is close to 30 minutes
* Audible fan noise
* Runs warm
* No key-hole slots for mounting
* Cannot stream or mirror to AppleTV

The last "con" is, by far, my biggest complaint.

SETUP

Setup is easy, but two issues require a lot of patience. First, the startup of the TiVo Stream takes about 10 minutes. This is ridiculous and is as bad as my TiVo Premiere. Second, you need to use the TiVo app to select your DVR and then set up the Stream. This process redirects you to your TiVo account where you need to activate your Stream. Once activated, it takes 15 minutes (!) to "pair" the Stream to your TiVo box. So don't get too excited when your Stream is delivered. It will be a while before it is actually working.

FAN NOISE

The fan noise is surprisingly audible for such a small device. It's actually louder than my TiVo box. It starts out fairly loud when first plugged in, but then slows down once it has completed startup. As the Stream gets warmer, however, fan speed (and noise) picks up again. If you plan on having your Stream near your TV or in a common living space, consider putting it inside a cabinet.

HEAT

The Stream runs warm, so make sure it will have plenty of ventilation. I don't have mine inside a media cabinet yet, so I don't know how much warmer it will get once I move it.

MOUNTING OPTIONS

There are none. It would be nice to be able to mount this inside my media cabinet or near other networking gear.

TiVo SOFTWARE

I am not surprised that the TiVo app does not natively stream video to an Apple TV. But I was really disappointed that it actively blocks mirroring to an Apple TV. Audio will transfer so that you can listen through your stereo, but what's the point of that if you are watching on a small screen? Headphones would be more appropriate. I suspect that TiVo blocks this to encourage you to buy another Premiere and another subscription. It may also be motivated by cable companies to help increase rentals of additional TiVo-enabled boxes. Boo! I consider this a very poor decision on TiVo's part.

The TiVo software does not yet support the wide screen of the iPhone 5. For wide screen content, this means there is letter boxing AND black pillars around the video image. I really hope this gets updated soon.

Playback of video streams supports play/pause, replay (8 seconds back) and skip (30 seconds forward). There is no fast-forward or rewind, so don't expect to experience the "bloop-bloop-bloop". There is a "scrubber" to set the playback position, but it is not responsive enough for instant feedback, nor is it accurate enough to replace fast-forwarding or rewinding.

NETWORKING

There has already been much discussion on the ability to use the TiVo stream over WiFi. Part of the issue is that the TiVo stream simply does not have WiFi capabilities, so it cannot join a WiFi network. But another issue is the demand placed on a WiFi network for this kind of application.

Supposedly, the TiVo Stream compresses the video before sending it off to your mobile device (which is connected via WiFi). If that's the case, then the biggest piece of bandwidth is the original data being transferred between the TiVo box and the TiVo stream.

My solution was to connect my TiVo Premiere and the TiVo Stream to the same network SWITCH mounted on the back of my media cabinet. I already had one there anyway to connect my TiVo box and Blu-ray player to the network. By connecting the TiVo Stream to the switch, the TiVo box and the TiVo Stream can communicate directly without involving WiFi. My network switch is then connected to a wireless bridge. In my case, this is an Apple Airport Express configured in bridge mode. The Express then connects via WiFi to a Netgear router for network access. The upside is that the heavy bandwidth of the original video never travels over WiFi. The downside is that the compressed video now travels twice over my wireless network. Once from the bridge to the router, and once from the router to my iPhone.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE

The picture quality was excellent for HD content. I had no problems on my iPhone, but there were a few hiccups on my iPad. Part of that might be that I have a first generation iPad. The iPad also has a larger screen, so the bandwidth may be larger. At one point, the iPad stuttered badly, which I think was related to my kids use of the wireless network. So don't expect multiple streams to work well over a WiFi setup.

The inability to stream video to an Apple TV is a huge disappointment. I was at least hoping for mirroring so that I could watch recorded content in my basement "theater" while my wife watched her favorite TV shows live in the family room. I strongly urge TiVo to drop this restriction. It may actually convince non-TiVo users to finally take the plunge.

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost useless for downloading, November 5, 2013
This review is from: TiVo TCDA94000 Stream (Electronics)

I have a Tivo premiere full of about 60-70 shows. I dutifully click through them on my iPad downloading shows for an upcoming trip. On over 50 of the episodes from all over (ABC, NBC, msnbc, FX, Comedy Central, AMC, Palladia) are all unavailable for download due to copyright restrictions. TiVo is really good about following copyright requests, so if a network flags a show as "no copy", there's no way to get it.

After an hour of tapping around, I was able to download exactly one episode of NewsHour from PBS that was not copy protected. Every other episode is locked in the Tivo, so you're screwed. If you watch the TiVo stream tutorial on TiVo's YouTube channel, it clearly shows the iPad downloading How I Met Your Mother, which is locked down on my TiVo.

Returning it tomorrow.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great, when it's working right, November 25, 2012
This review is from: TiVo TCDA94000 Stream (Electronics)
Easy setup and install. Though you do need a direct ethernet line to the unit. I ended up getting the moca adapters which worked flawlessly.

The good news is when it does work, it's great. Love it, love it!

The bad news is, it doesn't work consistently. Fortunately, unplugging and replugging the unit fixes the problems. I find I do this annoyingly too often however.

The issues I've experienced when streaming tivo shows to my ipad:
* picture looks scrambled (this happened one time the day after purchase)
* slightly jumpy/jittery pictures (I see this often)
* just doesn't work sometimes, error message indicating network related problems

These issues weren't related to the show I was watching, it happened consistently across all of the shows I had taped.

Again all these problems get resolved when I unplug and replug the unit's power.

Pretty disappointing overall, I've been waiting for this product ever since the announcement. I regret making the expensive purchase (of both the stream and moca adapters).

5.0 out of 5 stars Stream, October 23, 2012
S. Chadwick (Mt Pleasant, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TiVo TCDA94000 Stream (Electronics)
Full disclosure right off the bat, I got my Stream with AMEX points from ShopAmex. Hooked this up to my TiVo XL and followed setup instructions without any trouble. Yes, you do have to have your tivo hooked straight up to the network but since I am a Comcast subscriber my network box is right by the tv anyway.

I got this box because I have kids ranging from 7-17 and they never want to watch the same thing and everyone groups around the big tv in the livingroom even though they have good tvs in their bedrooms. The stream and tivo allow four actions to be happening at once. Any combination of recordings on the tivo and playings on ipads and you can of course be watching one more thing live. So feasibly we could ALL be watching something different in the same room with my five member family. (as long as we were not currently recording anything.

Streaming to the ipad is seamless so far after a week of heavy use. I don't see any latency issues. Picture quality on the iPad is great. You can download shows to the ipad and watch them on the go UNLESS this function is disabled by the copyright holder. Boss and Homeland episodes will not transfer from my tivo because of this, grrr!

Really, this entire feature set should be integrated into the tivo itself, instead of having to add yet another box to my home theater, but since we are a capitalist society and the name of the game is to make MO MONEY... it's all good.

I'm giving the product 5 stars in thanks for delivering me from iCarly!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Video Review of the Tivo Stream, January 1, 2013
Length:: 6:26 Mins

The Tivo Stream is a product that would appear to have a lot of potential, and it does, but it requires you to deal with the restrictions. At its best the Tivo Stream will allow you to watch and download tv shows to your iPad or iPhone with extreme ease. At its worst, the Tivo Stream becomes nearly worthless since you have to be tethered to the network that the Steam is connected in addition to the numerous copyright restrictions that will prevent downloading a majority of the content that is on your Tivo Premier.

Notes-

- The Tivo Stream will ONLY work with a Tivo Premier Series Tivo. The Tivo Premier is the newest series (as of the time of this review) of Tivo DVRs - anything older and it will not work.

- The Tivo Stream allows networks to block the download of copyrighted material. At the time of this review - ALL shows (or to the best I can tell) from A&E, The History Channel, TLC, and Disney are restricted. My suspicion is that this list will soon grow to include almost all network (and cable) TV shows. At this time CBS, FOX, and NBC seem to allow universal downloads... for now.

- Streaming - works great and is not subjected to copyright restrictions HOWEVER you can only stream within the network that the Tivo Stream is connected. Therefore, you are restricted to streaming content to the range of your router. Honestly, I am not sure how useful of a feature this really is. While streaming the performance and functionality is excellent

- Downloads - Again, the copyright restrictions severely limit the ability to download content but when you do have the ability to download it does work very well (and quickly). it should be noted that you do have to watch the downloads within the Tivo app.

- Capabilities - the Tivo app in conjunction with the Tivo Stream works great - it allows you to command your Tivo with ease.

- Set-up - relatively easy - REMEMBER BOTH YOUR TIVO AND TIVO STREAM MUST BE HARD CONNECTED TO A ROUTER FOR THE TIVO STREAM TO WORK IT CAN NOT BE DONE WIRELESSLY. The rest of the set-up takes about 20 minutes, but it is pretty straight forward, and as usual, the Tivo instructions are easy to follow.

Final Verdict - I like the Tivo Stream.... but if it wasn't for the copyright restrictions (and I understand that this is not the fault of Tivo) I would love this product. As for the streaming capability, I am not really sure how often I will stream shows to my iPad.... this may be more useful for people who only have one TV (or Tivo) in their home.

3 1/2 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like a good thing, April 18, 2013
This review is from: TiVo TCDA94000 Stream (Electronics)
Pros: Easily transfer recorded shows to iPad/iPhone for travel, or watch streaming in the house. As a user who ditched cable years ago in favor of free over the air TV, none of my recordings have the dreaded "Copy Protection Flag"

Cons: First box arrived with a loud fan noise and no blinking lights. A short call to TiVo support and they said I had a DOA box. Returned to Amazon and here's hoping for better luck on the replacement (will update afterwards).

Update (2 days later):
Pros: Returned the box to Amazon, got a replacement drop shipped. Good news, the second one actually works. Great news, it works as expected, can transfer videos and stream shows to iPad. (YAY!)

Cons: TiVo says the box is "noiseless". Honestly, its not true, there is a cooling fan that will be running on the box 24/7. It IS very quiet and you don't hear it at all with the TV on. With a TV off however, depending on the other ambient noise in the room, you could hear it (I don't unless I'm sitting right next to the box and fiddling with something in my AV setup, but to each its own).

Guide:
As a "guide" to what the box SHOULD do once you plug it in:
1) when you plug in the box the LED should be yellow.
2) after a little bit it should go to flashing white.
3) after THAT it should go to a solid white light.

Likewise the LEDs on the sides of the Network connection blink once on startup, and then SHOULD light up once the box finishes starting up (assuming its plugged into an active network port).

My first box had no status LED light up, and the network LEDs blinked once on startup and then stayed dead, all while the system fan happily hummed in the background.

All in all, the box works as advertised, the main things to keep in mind:
- You need to have a wired connection between the TiVo DVR and the TiVo Stream.
- If you have cable, your movie channels are probably locked down so you'll only be able to stream movies to your iPad/iPhone when you're in your house. Depending on how greedy your cable company is, they may have locked down all of the channels to prevent you from transferring the video to your "i" device. Bluntly, blame their greed, and if you can, find a different choice. I went cable free and switched to a combination of Over-The-Air TV via an antenna supplemented by Hulu+ and Amazon Video on Demand. All the DVR recorded programs on my TiVo can be transferred via the Stream, and it works great (Amazon Video can also be transferred to an "i" device with their own app, and Hulu+ can stream with their own app). That said, the software to interface with it could use a little streamlining (such as letting you set a global value for the quality of the stream to download, instead of requiring you to select it each time).

Also as an FYI transfers to an iPad seem to take ~7-8 minutes per half hour at "standard" quality, assuming good wireless connection (the iPad was sitting right next to the wireless router, TiVo Premier and Stream are hard wired to the router). Not bad for what it is, but not the instant gratification some people may expect. You'll need to plan time for transferring video before you travel, or schedule commute downloads before you go to sleep (or when you wake up depending on your time and schedule). If you have the "i" device plugged in, with the transfer app on, it will keep downloading all night, and go into standby when done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fighting over the TV...The Tivo Stream Review, August 19, 2013
This review is from: TiVo TCDA94000 Stream (Electronics)
Yes, we must be the only family in North America that owns one TV. There are reasons for why we have one TV (which will not be discussed here), we have solved this issue of people wanting to watch other shows rather than watching what the others are currently are watching. We have made our Ipad and Ipod Touch mini TV's with the Tivo Stream. The complaining all the sudden stopped!

We as a family have cut the cord and wanted to use a DVR so we picked up a Tivo Premiere. Watching TV has been a little difficult for me during primetime because other members of the family wanted to watch their shows, so I was left to watch my stuff after everyone went to bed and I was exhausted by the time The Man Cave was empty for me to watch own stuff. In other words I keep falling asleep.

A while ago Tivo introduced the Tivo Stream, and because it was only sold in the US, I had to wait till I was on vacation to pick one up. Doing my research before I bought it, I was almost sure this was going to cure for the fight over the TV.

Well, I'm here to tell you that the little Tivo box did the trick. While every one is crowded in my Man Cave watching there shows, I can go anywhere in the house with the Ipad and watch my shows and it doesn't disturb what everyone is watching on the TV. The $119 was money well spent and it allowed some peace and harmony in our house hold.

Now here is a his what happened to me and I found a easy solution to get it to work in my home. All of my networked AV equipment is connected via Ethernet to a wireless bridge and the bridge talks to my wireless router. The problem was once I hooked up the Tivo Stream via wired connection to my router the light in the back kept flashing meaning it wasn't getting an IP. I got worried at this point because Tivo recommends that you connect your Tivo wired to the router, which helps talk to the stream properly. At this point I decided to try and reserve the IP address for both the Tivo and the Stream and low and behold the light stopped blinking on the stream the Ipad was able to see it and stream TV shows. Heart attack averted.

All those with Tivo DVR's! We here at The Man Cave Cinema strongly recommend the stream, it's a great little box and gives you the freedom to watch TV any ware in your house.

PS, I'm still waiting for the Tivo App update to there andriod app to allow me to use the Stream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for me, October 20, 2012
This review is from: TiVo TCDA94000 Stream (Electronics)
My wife wouldn't let me put a TV in the bedroom because it disturbs her when she's sleeping. However I like to fall asleep watching TV which meant I had a lot of nights where I fell asleep on the couch and then wondered into bed in the middle of the night. After I got my iPad I started watching podcasts in bed and my wife was OK with that because the iPad is small with low audio so it doesn't disturb her. This was a lot better for my back, but I missed watching my real shows so I still spent a few nights a week on the couch. When TiVo released the Stream I bought one immediately. Now I can watch my real shows in bed via my iPad and everyone is happy. :)

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't support Androd, February 28, 2014
This review is from: TiVo TCDA94000 Stream (Electronics)
doesn't support Androd, if they ever get around to release a Android app to access it, I will up the stars

TiVo TCDA94000 Stream