Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > My Splendid Concubine forum

Tibet and China and historical fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2008 9:27:10 PM PDT
China claims that Tibet was part of China before the 1950s. They are correct. What do you think?

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 5:33:31 PM PST
The history of the two regions is not a clear-cut one. At times, especially during the Qing Dynasty and also to a lesser extent during the Ming Dynasty, China governed Tibet, including selecting the key religious leaders, like the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama, and stationed thousands of troops there to protect the territory from invading Nepalese. As strange as it may sound, in 763 A.D., Tibet actually invaded China during the Tang Dynasty and conquered it's then capital, Xi'an. The Tang Emperor Taizong had neglected to pay China's annual tribute to the Tibetan King Gyantse Gampo.

Please visit: www.TibetChinaAccuracyProject.info, for a concise history of Tibet and China, and for non-polemical backround on Tibet-China.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2010 6:47:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2010 6:49:23 PM PST
At Britain's urging, Tibet broke away from China in 1913. China's Dynasty was collapsing. Japan was rattling sabers. Warlords were fighting to see who would rule China. Once the dust settled in 1949, Mao sent the Red Army into Tibet to reclaim what China had ruled over for centuries. Robert Hart, the main character in my historical fiction novel mentions Tibet a number of times in his letters, and there is no doubt that China considered Tibet part of their territory.

William is right about the Tang Dynasty. The Tibetans were a war-like nation prior to a Mongol Emperor making a Buddhist Dalai Lama the ruler of Tibet to turn the Tibetans away from their war like ways. This took place somewhere around 1200 AD. The entire October 1012 National Geographic Magazine was about China and Tibet is written about in that issue. The author of the piece was a Chinese doctor who went to Tibet several years earlier on a medical mission due to an outbreak of a disease. This doctor mentions the political system in Tibet and how the emperor of China played a role deciding who the Dalai Lama would be and the doctor went into detail about the political system. He also said the Tibetans were difficult to control. Robert Hart said as much in his letters.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 7:27:27 PM PDT
The vast territories of Tibet have long been a geographical if debatable political part of China especially during the widest spread of China's dynastic (ruling periods): the T'ang (or Tang without the aspiration mark). In two of the greatest historical novels of China, I have come face to face with this great geo-political question:--great historical novels of China much fiction but based on much real translations, too. THE COURT OF THE LION: A novel of T'ang China on Kindle and IRON EMPRESS: A novelof murder and madness in T'ang China (also on Kindle) http://tinyurl.com/3k4vn35
http://tinyurl.com/4xc7sx6

Hi folks, Court of the Lion here. I am new to the forums. I took on the display name of Court of the Lion because I am so enamored of this brilliant Book (trilogy.) Studied some Chinese history at a very good university, but non-fiction nothing like these books (urls) above. Staggering -- the imagination of two of the best writers I have ever read, their ability to take me to a place which would be impossible to know except in a kind of academic way. And then mix that with great scholarly work, they appear to have direct knowledge of the ancient Chinese texts and history writings and poetries, too. WoW! When you get to the Kindle sites (above) for these books--I understand a 3rd will be up soon from the writeup-- then scroll down and click on further editorial reviews and you get this great list from all over U.S. and Europe.Be ready to lose lots of sleep.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 7:30:35 PM PDT
Two of the best works fiction or non-fiction I have had the pleasure to read of T'ang China and history and Culture of medieval Chinaand politics are in THE COURT OF THE LION and IRON EMPRESS both fucussed on the T'ang-- I have found the Kindle sites as they haveonly recently appeared there:http://tinyurl.com/3k4vn35
http://tinyurl.com/4xc7sx6

Hi folks, Court of the Lion here. I am new to the forums. I took on the display name of Court of the Lion because I am so enamored of this brilliant Book (trilogy.) Studied some Chinese history at a very good university, but non-fiction nothing like these books (urls) above. Staggering -- the imagination of two of the best writers I have ever read, their ability to take me to a place which would be impossible to know except in a kind of academic way. And then mix that with great scholarly work, they appear to have direct knowledge of the ancient Chinese texts and history writings and poetries, too. WoW! When you get to the Kindle sites (above) for these books--I understand a 3rd will be up soon from the writeup-- then scroll down and click on further editorial reviews and you get this great list from all over U.S. and Europe.Be ready to lose lots of sleep.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
My Splendid Concubine
My Splendid Concubine by Lloyd Lofthouse (Paperback - December 18, 2007)
3.4 out of 5 stars (49)