Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ticket To Ride 1910 Expansion
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 21, 2008
The Ticket to Ride 1910 Expansion (TTR 1910) is an expansion for the basic Ticket to Ride game only. The expansion is great in that it adds game play options as well as improves the basic comfort of the game itself. Some game expansions are just a way to get you to spend more money on a game you already own without adding a lot to game play. TTR 1910 is worth the investment. It adds fun and convenience to an already great game.

TTR 1910 significantly increases the number of destination tickets available adding 35 new long and short haul routes to the game. The new routes are fun and varied, and allow each player to customize his or her strategy around certain city connections.

Also included are four cards from the out of print "Mystery Train Expansion." These cards are for very short routes and are low scoring. They don't add much to the game play.

The expanded rules offer instructions for different game variations that focus on big cities, the new 1910 destinations, or the Mega Game featuring all 65 destination tickets in the box. We tend to stick with the Mega Game for large groups, but for games with fewer players the other variations make for new and fun experiences. We really enjoy the opportunity to develop new game play strategies.

There's also a new 15 point bonus card to reward the player who completes the most routes. This is a nice addition to the game.

In addition to improved game play, the expansion cards are now the same size as regulation playing cards making them significantly easier to hold and play. You get reprints of all of the cards included with the original game so you don't have to mix the cards or choose between the original set or the expansion. For my friends and I, this was a significant improvement over the tiny set that came with the original game.

You might also consider picking up a GLD Pitboss 55-0112 Four Deck Card Shuffler. You'll go through the cards pretty quickly and the shuffler keeps things moving.
55 comments|289 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
When I first received my Expansion Set I was a little disappointed. Some descriptions online aren't very clear when they say that the set includes cards from the Mystery Expansion set (long out of print and no longer available). Well I'll clear it up for the newer game players like myself. The original mystery set was a giveaway at a show and came in a magazine back in 2004. It included 4 new tickets and 5 character cards. The cards were mixed into the ticket deck after the initial tickets were given out at the beginning of the game. The character cards were something special though! There were 4 different characters which granted the person that found them a prize/power of sorts. The Tycoon, gave the owner 10 extra points at the end of the game if they had a coast to coast connection. The Inspector, let the owner double the value of any card worth 10 or less points. The Station Agent, gave 10 points to the owner if they visited the most cities at the end. And the Engineer, in which there were two cards, let the owner dig through the ticket deck and pick out a ticket of his choice. Sounds fun right!? Well the 1910 pack includes the 4 tickets but NOT the character cards. But I have a solution for this at the bottom! First, the review!

I love this expansion for a couple reasons.

1. I really enjoy the new rule set, especially 1910 Mega, which throws a whole bunch of extra tickets in the mix. You get 5 tickets at the start (keep 3+) and it also throws in a the globetrotter card which gives the person with the most tickets at the end 10 more points.
I like the other two variants as well, Classic, which swaps the longest track with the most tickets card, and then the big cites variant that tosses both those cards out and only includes tickets connecting to Big cites. Like I said I enjoy all of them, but the Mega game usually gets crazy with people taking tickets left and right.

2. I love the new card sizes! The cards in the original game were annoyingly small but in the expansion the cards are the size of normal playing cards. And not just the new cards, the expansion includes new versions of all of the cards from the original game as well! So this expansion takes the place of the cards from the original. Much easier to shuffle and hold on to. I recommend this set for that reason alone.

So back to the Mystery Characters. I told you I had a solution and here it is!

I made my own custom Mystery Character cards! And you can too! The original character cards were the size of the original, small game cards and purple, so a player knew when one was up. Well I prefer a little more mystery in my mystery cards. ;) So I created a set which is the same size as the 1910 set and has the same back as well. I printed them on card stock and rounded the edges so it is really difficult to see if you're about to get a mystery character.

I've also set this up so that you can do it too! Unfortunately, Amazon won't let me link directly to my files but there are two ways you can find them. First, I made a post on the BoardGameGeek Ticket to Ride forum on 3/12/2012 which links to them (my screenname is FujiToast). Otherwise right now a google search of "Custom Mystery Characters" will also take you directly to the forum post.

Have Fun!
33 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2007
Our family loves Ticket to Ride. We play the standard boardgame quite often and even occasionally take up a challenge on-line at the company website. Of course the 1910 Expansion Pack seemed a likely "must have," and we were not disappointed.

The card deck of wagon cards is completely replaced so you don't have to worry if your original deck is getting a bit worn. They are also proper playing card size, and much easier to shuffle and deal. The pack has the standard destination cards from the first game, the 1910 destination cards, Big City destination cards, and the Mystery Train destination cards. You can play the standard format, Big Cities only, or go for the gusto and challenge of the MEGA game by playing with all expansion packs together! Talk about a challenge!

The new cards include every city on the map as one terminus of the destination tickets. It ads a new element and makes things very unpredictable. There is also a "most destination cards completed" extra point card, adding a new twist and taking you away from the longest train and making those short hops on the East Coast really worth going for.

I would highly recommend this expansion pack to anyone who has purchased and enjoys the Ticket To Ride Game!
on August 23, 2011
Ticket to Ride was one of the first games we got when we discovered there was more than Monopoly out there. As much fun as it was, it did seem to get old a bit faster than I wanted it to. Then I discovered the 1910 expansion which others said infused new life into the game. And they were right! Not only does it add lots of extra tickets, it gives you the full size cards to replace all the tiny ones that come with the base set. What we do is use all the tickets and both bonuses but there are several ways to mix it up if you prefer. There are just three of us playing usually which means you cannot use the second route of a double route so this expansion keeps everyone too busy to spitefully block you and makes it much more difficult for someone to be sure of exactly where you're going. Still, we get in each others way all the time, eliciting lots of groans and sighs! We play this game in a fast and furious fashion and it's so much fun that it's our usual after-dinner game choice.

If you are new to gaming, this is a wonderful introduction. If you love it, check out boardgamegeek (.com) for all the info on games you would never have known about otherwise. Our favorites for three or more players (all except Ticket to Ride also play great with only two!): Ticket to Ride USA w/1910 Exp, Alhambra, Ra, Macao, Stone Age, Survive Escape from Atlantis, Carcassonne Hunters & Gatherers, San Juan, Bohnanza. Strictly two player: Jaipur, Odin's Ravens, Balloon Cup, Lost Cities, Jambo, Battle Line. Gaming is a great family or couples activity, takes everyone away from the tv and is great fun. Happy gaming, everyone!
A must have expansion! We use this expansion EVERY time we play Ticket to Ride.

First, it gives you extra cards and a few variants for play. This allows you to mix it up a bit, play a bigger game when you have more people, or refine it a bit when you have fewer. More routes also means it is a bit tougher to figure out your opponent's exact strategy.

Second, you get a globetrotter card, so you can set up extra points for the most cities visited.

Finally, the cards are full size, and you get replacements for ALL of the original cards. So it is much, much easier to shuffle, read the maps on the cards, etc. Especially nice if you are playing with the grandparents.

There is no question, this is a must have for any fan, and adds a lot to the gameplay.
on March 4, 2011
This is a fantastic expansion and well worth the purchase price.

The biggest problems with the original Ticket to Ride game are the relatively small number of routes (easily memorized), the heavy reliance on a few cities (Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Seattle/Portland/Vancouver, Nashville/Atlanta), and the lack of viable north-south strategies (all the "big" tickets are east-west). This meant that drawing a few of the right tickets could get you a huge win, whereas the wrong tickets would give you nothing but intense, burning rage.

The 1910 expansion corrects these problems by adding a much more diverse group of tickets, going to more cities, and rewarding the player with the most routes with a bonus of 15 points. It makes a number of alternate strategies possible, so you don't just have to pray that you draw Los Angeles to New York and San Francisco to Atlanta all the time.

Additionally, the quality of the materials is very high. The large cards alone make gameplay more enjoyable.

I highly recommend this expansion -- it will help reduce frustration, increase enjoyment, and prevent burnout on this game.
on March 9, 2015
My initial thoughts were something along the lines of, “$20 for some new/bigger cards!? I could just buy a new game for that price!” In all honesty, that’s what has kept me from buying the expansion up to this point…it just so happened that I had a little extra left over from Christmas shopping. We play the base game so much that we can sometimes guess what a player has in terms of tickets after one or two routes…this can take the mystery and fun out of playing. The new ticket cards will help to prevent that from happening again any time soon, especially if you utilize all of them via “The Mega Game” variant. There are a lot of shorter ticket routes (one is even worth two points) so now I don’t feel as hesitant to draw tickets during the game for fear that I’d never be able to complete them in time. The Globetrotter bonus is also a nice touch.

What’s nice about “Ticket to Ride” is that it is flexible enough to where you can make up your own variants. You could, for example, use all the ticket cards but only draw three in the beginning (as normal) instead of four. You can opt to use only the tickets with a value of “X” or lower/higher, giving you a game of all short or long routes, respectively. You could also opt to include all, some, or none of the bonus cards…you get the idea. This expansion simply gives you more ways to customize your game, which is a plus for any hardcore “Ticket to Ride” fan.

The larger cards are indeed nice to have and do fit in the original insert with a little organization and thought, though the expansion box will not (not without mutilating and removing the insert’s separators). They are also easier to handle and shuffle. Is it worth $20 though? It depends. If you and your family/gaming group play “Ticket to Ride” religiously, then I’d say yes. If you bring out “Ticket to Ride” once in an Alan R. Moon (ba-dum-ch!!), then I’d say no. The base game is perfectly playable by itself and can easily provide entertainment for years to come…most casual gamers can and will be happy with just that. With that said, sometimes you just want more. I personally would have liked another train set so that six players could play or something along those lines, but I suppose “USA 1910″ does the job as-is even if it is a tad on the expensive side.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 15, 2014
I originally wrote this review for Ticket To Ride 1910 Expansion. So, please excuse me if you read it twice (but, I thought I'd include it here as well since I didn't know where folks would start).

As many others have noted, this is a must have expansion for the game. In addition to giving you full size cards for everything in the base game, it gives you 34 new destination tickets, and three new ways to play: (1) with just the 1910 tickets, (2) the "mega game" with ALL the tickets -- has some new rules for doing so, and (3) with just the 35 "big cites" tickets that require lots of routes to complete. This expansion has really added to our enjoyment of the game and we never play without it. It is so essential it really should have come with the base set.
on October 5, 2011
The expansion pack definitely makes the game better. 1) The larger number of destination cards makes the game less predictable and gives more incentive to pick destinations. 2) The larger cards are a HUGE improvement because you can actually shuffle them like a deck of cards instead of trying to fumble with the little cards that came in the original game. The only drawback that I see to the expansion pack is the price. It seems like what you're paying for are just fixes to things that were wrong with the original game and given the price of the original game it kind of feels like you're getting ripped off to have to pay extra for this. That being said though, it does make the game better.
on January 20, 2014
If you are not playing with this expansion, you are not really enjoying Ticket to Ride. Who wants to play with tiny little cards, with this expansion not only do you get a whole lot more destinations but they replace your old tiny cards with full size ones. WE used to keep running out of destination cards with the basic game, now we have enough to have a good game. This is definately a NEED if you have Ticket to Ride