Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Wrecking Ball forum

Ticket brokers are thieves!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2012 8:27:34 AM PST
I have been a Bruce fan for about 35 years. Now, I don't have the money to go see him a hundred times, but I've seen him about 10 times (the two best concerts I've seen were in 1999 the night he turned 50 at the Philly Spectrum and again the last night he played a spectacular show closing down the Spectrum). However, for the Wrecking Ball tour I couldn't get tickets because within 8 minutes they were sold out (Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia). Know why? Because all the ticket brokers (how did scalping become legal?) bought everything to sell to rich patrons. I think there's a big disconnect between many of Bruce's songs and this practice of only selling to the rich. I'm not saying it's necessarily his fault, but he must have some kind of say in it.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 8:20:48 AM PST
Mr. A says:
There are literally thousands and thousands of tickets still available. There just not for sale yet. When a show at MSG or any other arena go on sale Bruce and company hold back nearly 5000 seats for various reasons... (Friends and family of band and crew, radio promotions, record label folks, etc...) When they are playing close to home (NY, NJ & Philly) this number can grow even bigger. Also, when playing 6-10 shows in the area they will hold back seats to "sell out" other shows one at a time and then release tickets slowly in order to give the perception of a bigger demand than supply. They sell out the upper levels before the lower levels every time. This isn't an accident.

As the night of the show approaches there are ALWAYS ticket drops. These are usually GA floor seats and the two sections directly to the right and left of the stage. The friends & family sections. (I've sat with numerous cast members of the Sopranos over the years) In the case of the stadium shows additional entire sections will often "drop" once the stage is set up and they can confirm other sections to the right and left aren't going to be obstructed view.

Also, to Bruce's credit, he often holds back many prime seats. Sometimes entire sections on the back of the floor for the night of the show "drop line" that fans can line up on for a first come first serve basis.

In the end, keep trying. There will be a half dozen drops between now and the show. Usually a few days ahead and often the morning of are the best times to snag seats. I've gotten GA tickets that put me in the front row with my arms on the stage three days prior to the show for face value numerous times.

Good Luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 1:57:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 1:59:02 PM PST
Your anger at the ticket brokers is justified, but in all honesty, some of the blame should be aimed at your fellow Springsteen fans. If it wasn't for the fact that so many of them are willing to fork over many times the face value of the tickets to the brokers, there wouldn't be a market for them. It happens here in New Jersey every time he's on tour (especially with the E Street Band). Everyone works themselves into a lather over the fact that the brokers get the choice seats. In reality, this happens whenever a huge act plays here, but when it's Bruce, it stings a little bit more because too many people buy into the " Bruce is the voice of the working man" trope and they feel that he should personally intervene on their behalf and shame the brokers. Bruce has always had an affluent fan base who like to go to multiple shows and will pay more for the privilege, and short of him doing 100 shows in the area so that everyone can get a seat, there is little he could do. However, Mr. A is correct about the tickets becoming available and at a cheaper price the closer you get to showtime, and once the local politicians get their share, you should be able to score. Bring cash.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 5:13:23 AM PST
try going to the backstreets ticket exchange. folks there are great, and tickets are never sold above face value. i've never been disappointed and have always managed to get a ticket or two (if not the seats i preferred) for the shows i could make. link: http://www.backstreets.com/btx/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=402d1a1657e1056204238f9f84c971f5

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 2:02:07 AM PST
Thank you for the info, folks! I will definitely keep trying to get tickets.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 11:11:09 AM PST
OMYBRUCE says:
No, us diehard fans do NOT buy from brokers. I've seen many shows 100+ and never got tickets from brokers and I've had some great seats. I may have 2 sets of tickets which I sell one set night of show, but most of us dont resort to brokers, esp since many of us travel to multiple shows on the tour. Philly was the easiest of all to get tickets since you were buying directly from Wells Fargo Center, if the venues sold directly brokers would never get this many tickets.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 7:59:06 AM PST
Kevin O'Neil says:
I was pissed at TicketMaster last time for the opening Working on a Dream show in San Jose. Thousands of tix were transferred to their scalping subsidiary StubHub. I bought my tix the minute they went on sale and got nosebleed seats.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 8:28:35 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 3:58:51 PM PST
I feel your pain. The same thing happened for the Boston show except the tickets were sold out at 30 seconds past 10:00. So now the $114 tickets are $250 or so on the brokers' sites. Seems so unfair...
I'm not sure the artist has any say in all this, but the venue must...
It all stinks...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 7:59:05 PM PST
Bruce holds tickets till the last day hours before a show, trust me you get the day off, walk up to the window night of show and you will get a premo ticket, This is how he screws all the scalpers and big brokers don't waist your time wait till the night of show. He is the man and always looks out for his fans!
Scott P
Key West FL.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 8:04:01 PM PST
AD says:
Rigthfully so!

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 8:05:09 PM PST
AD says:
With good reason, Springsteen does have some blame in this, it seems there's a ticket scandal with each tour lately (remeber the last one) some"artists" can still be seen at rational prices. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind the ticket prices assigned to a particular show or performer (ie. look at the variation of ticket prices for any venue over the period of a month or so. If an artist of Bruce's stature can't have some control over the situation then who could. In the past, Bruce has stood his ground over integrity vs commerciality, isn't it time to grow appear and speak up for what's right? I wonder how it feels to become nothing but a commodity. Insiders trading rock & rollers like pork bellies. Sale! Sale Rock & Roll!!

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 1:40:05 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 3, 2012 5:46:49 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 4:11:14 AM PST
Tyler Durden says:
stop complaining. before ticketmaster you had to camp out overnight (or all week) just to get tickets. I'd much rather pay $250 for $114 seats from a scalper or broker than wait on line for 3 days. if you wait on line for just 24 hours that means you miss a day of work or have to use a vacation day. unless you're making less than $8 an hour it's not worth your time to wait on line. as far as stubhub goes - I love it. it used to be if you didn't get ticketmaster seats you had no chance of getting tickets unless you drove all the way to the venue, paid for parking and had to bring a ton of cash and bought from a scalper walking around and risked getting robbed or buying fake tickets or not being able to find tickets. now you pay a little more than the ticketmaster people and get guaranteed tickets - even last minute ones you can print out at home and not have to wait and pay for fed ex. it's nice to know you CAN get tickets to any show you want now. save your money and go to the one or two shows your REALLY want to go to instead of going to EVERY show.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 1:10:04 PM PST
Coldshot89 says:
Mr. A is right. When show time gets closer, the prices will drop....or so statistics would show. I've rarely caught my shows on ticketmaster and waitied and saw prices drop in the last week. I hope it happens again or else I'm not going to be able to afford it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2012 1:59:24 PM PDT
Lauren says:
If you're willing to give a scalper $250 for a $100 ticket you are just encouraging this sort of usury. Hate to say it but you are part of the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 1:51:44 PM PDT
musicman37 says:
There was an article in Billboard about three issues ago about the scalpers using Bots to gain instant access to all the best seats at concert events. The problem is how to combat this. But waiting until showtime gets closer is a way to fight back, because these scalpers sometimes get "stuck" with tickets they can't sell. So there's hope for anyone wanting badly to see an artist they love. Just wait it out, and stop trying to be "first" on line when an event goes on sale.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 1:56:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012 1:56:42 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
Bruce hardly can be blamed for the situation. He's done a lot in consideration of his fans - namely, to keep his ticket prices lower than practically any other major act. The Stones and McCartney charged a FACE VALUE of $250 for the best seats on their last tours, and Madonna is charging $350 for her upcoming tour. My tickets for Bruce's upcoming Wrigley Field shows in Chicago show a face value of $103. Little bit of a difference there.

If you're going to blame anyone or anything, blame technology, business "connections" and the easy access that brokers and their employees have because of this. I would GLADLY get back to all-night partying and camping out for fair access to shows. You get your tickets according to your position in line -- fair enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 9:22:24 AM PST
C. Soldatos says:
haha yep people are dumb.. I may pay 20 bucks or so more... but never would i pay 100$ or more over face. 20 bucks is stretching it for me.. Thats only if I really really wanna go. Sad it has become a legal business now tho. Hey, lets start our own scalping company!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wrecking Ball forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wrecking Ball
Wrecking Ball by Bruce Springsteen (Audio CD - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars (399)