5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent children's book
Published on July 30, 2001 by Ann L.

1.0 out of 5 stars No thank you.
This is the first time I'd ever sent a book back to Amazon. This book was so strange and depressing, I didn't want to show it to my son (during my own cancer experience). Thanks but no thanks.
Published on December 15, 2011 by Mama Mia

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent children's book, July 30, 2001
Ann L. (Hutchinson, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tickles Tabitha's Cancer-tankerous Mommy (Paperback)
This is a humorous book that deals not just with cancer but with family life. My favorite part is Tabitha's mental picture of Daddy sitting in the time out chair. I wish I had had this book when my children where presented with a close neighbor who had cancer. Wether a child has a parent, grandparent, friend or friend's parent in their life who has cancer, this is an excellent book to use to start talking about it. Because it portrays family life in general in a funny way, it is good for any child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps kids understand how illness can affect a parent's mood, January 27, 2005
This review is from: Tickles Tabitha's Cancer-tankerous Mommy (Paperback)
Tabitha's mother has cancer and has to undergo chemotherapy. The treatments make the mother's hair fall out and give her a huge appetite. Worse still, the treatment makes her tired and irritable. Tabitha misses their warm tickle games. Tabitha, her brother and even the cat get frightened when their mother gets angry. When their father sees this, he uses love and humor to help provide support. Tabitha finds a way to get her mother to show her old warmth.

The superb illustrations are warm and expressive. When the picture shows the shadow of the angry mother, wig askew, standing over Tabitha, one really gets the sense of how Tabitha experiences her mother just then.

Mood changes are more difficult for children to understand than the more concrete aspects of an illness. This book does an excellent job of showing how these mood The story is realistic without being scarey. This book would be good not just for children of cancer patients but also for children of parents withother chronic diseases such as Hepatitis C. A variety of illness and treatments can cause an individual to be irritable or moody.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, realistic look at having a parent with cancer, November 19, 2005
Kristina Surface "rykrite" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tickles Tabitha's Cancer-tankerous Mommy (Paperback)
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer this year, one of my girlfriends bought this book for my daughter. I recommend it highly. Side effects of chemo (and their accompanying steroids) have made me, like Tickles' Tabitha's mom, cranky and tired and shorter on patience than I would like to be, and this book takes those problems and presents them as temporary setbacks; the book reminds children that things will not always be grouchy, and that a mommy with cancer still loves her child even when she's not up to the usual fun and games. This book has been useful to our family, our daughter enjoys it... and it's helped us to normalize a situation that is anything but normal.

5.0 out of 5 stars "a special book", October 3, 2001
cindy tomek (Bay City, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tickles Tabitha's Cancer-tankerous Mommy (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Tickles Tabitha and how this sensitive topic was portrayed. It really hit home and helps children along during a difficult time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your kids know, May 17, 2006
This review is from: Tickles Tabitha's Cancer-tankerous Mommy (Paperback)
Beautifully illustrated, the story offers a child's perspective of mommy's cancer-tankerous moods during cancer treatment.

I'm of the mind that children should be given details about issues faced by families. It's naive to assume that by shushing conversations within ear shot of kids, they will be kept protected from the truth of illness.

Cancer treatments are no picnic in the park. Amelia makes that clear in her book, without sacrificing the clear message of love for her family. If you are a mom going through cancer treatment, I would highly recommend this book.

This review is posted on my blog. [...]

1.0 out of 5 stars No thank you., December 15, 2011
Mama Mia (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but..., July 19, 2008
This review is from: Tickles Tabitha's Cancer-tankerous Mommy (Paperback)
I purchased this book along with Sammy's Mommy Has Cancer because my mom has been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. This book does help to explain what is going on with a cancer patient. My girls (2 & 3) and I can somewhat identify with it because we play "tickle monster." My girls seemed to like the book (but not as well as Sammy's Mommy Has Cancer), because we have read it more than once, but I feel that it had quite a few words for kids the same ages as mine. My 3-year-old also wanted to know what was wrong with the peoples' eyes, because of the way they were drawn. Kudos to those who worked to put this book out there, it is a good tool to help to explain a somewhat difficult subject.

Tickles Tabitha's Cancer-tankerous Mommy
Tickles Tabitha's Cancer-tankerous Mommy by Amelia Frahm (Paperback - October 1, 2001)
$9.95 $8.96