4.0 out of 5 stars When in doubt......SQUISH!!
Published on June 27, 2002 by Stephanie Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars worked for me
Published on April 9, 2002 by bear_man81620

4.0 out of 5 stars When in doubt......SQUISH!!, June 27, 2002
This review is from: Ticks [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is a classic! A must see, especially if you're fed up with all the glossed-over high-tech films out there today, who think they're so cool just because they have things like "computer animation" and "acting". For entertainment value, this movie is right up there with Pirrana and R.O.T.O.R! That's a compliment, by the way. It is a great B-movie packed with stars: Seth Green, that guy from Fresh Prince of Bell Air, and Clint Howard, brother of director Ron Howard, who delivers an Oscar-calibre performance with "Dude, you all messed up!" My favorite part was when the giant tick egg sack was attached to the girl's back and Seth Green ingeniously saves her by (after much suspense) hitting it with a stick.
Of course, the best scene in the movie is when one of the giant ticks is set loose in a vet's office and after they try valiantly but unsuccessfully to capture it with a fishtank net, the vet stomps on it, and the tick explodes into HIGHLY realistic white mush. As I said before, when in doubt...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great print!, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Ticks [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Because I wrote Ticks, I can't speak impartially about the movie itself -- the writing, directing, acting, effects, etc. But I will say this: I saw the film years ago, on the big screen, at the premiere in Los Angeles. This blu-ray version looks THAT good. So if you are already a fan of the film, this new edition is worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars GET TICKED OFF, June 23, 2004
This review is from: Ticks [VHS] (VHS Tape)
TICKS is a creepy crawly extravaganza with amazingly good creature effects for an obvious low budget movie. The plot's fairly simple: a marijuana farmer, played with devilish glee by Clint Howard, is using herbal steroids to increase his marijuana output. Some of the steroidal juice however manages to infest a tick larva and soon all the ticks are growing bigger and bigger, nastier and nastier. Enter a group of troubled teens, led by Rosalind Allen and Peter Scolari, who are off for a camping adventure right near the infested area. Soon the ticks are running around chomping on everyone.
For a run of the mill horror movie, this one is above average in its fright scale and in its effects. I expected something much worse and was pleasantly, if not creepily, surprised!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best B-movies of all time!, November 9, 2002
Amazon Customer "ryeber" (SLC, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticks [VHS] (VHS Tape)
My friends and I love to rent the movies with the worst summary on the back of the cover. Ticks made the cut one weekend and that evening it stole our hearts. The character named 'Panic' (Carlton from Fresh Prince) was great. I believed his intro went like this, "They call me Panic...cause I never do." 'Panic' spent the entire movie doing just that- more like he ran away from everything like a little girl. The acting ... but at the same time it was brilliant. The best part of this movie was the ending. Watch for Seth Green to make an awesome jump/fall onto a van and then suddenly drive away cool as can be. Don't watch this by yourself. Get some friends and drinks and get ready to laugh your...off.

5.0 out of 5 stars By FAR my favorite killer bug flick!!! 'TICKS' needs ultimate dvd treatment!, January 14, 2010
This review is from: Ticks [Region 2] (DVD)
WOW! This R2 dvd has gone up in price! I'm glad I got my copy when it first came out. I was able to find mine on ebay. 'TICKS' pays homage to all those 50's killer bug flicks by showing us a giant surprise! The only thing different from this one is that its just GROSSER!!! Its a great 90's horror film that needs a anniversary edition, badly! Don't undestand why this doesn't have an all-regions dvd release yet??? Those of you who are fans and want to see a truly gross-out bug flick and you haven't seen 'TICKS', than I suggest you buy this either on vhs (if you still have a vhs player), or do what I did, go on ebay to find the R2 dvd. Honestly, its one of the best killer bug flicks I've seen, but I wouldn't pay the asking price for what these sellers are wanting. Great good on the special effects! These ticks look nasty real!

This is one horror flick that gets under your skin! hehe. -j/k

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting creepy crawly fun, January 30, 2001
This review is from: Ticks [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Ticks is a great fast paced horror flick. Look for the Carlton character from the Fresh Prince tvshow, playing a tough inner city kid (!) This movie has everything, forest fires, disgusting creepy giant ticks which kind of resemble large crabs, two brain dead homicidal marijuana farmers, and a strange subplot involving the troubled teens coming to terms with various personal problems. It isn't overly gory either. A must.

4.0 out of 5 stars everybody thinks im a whoose because this movie scared me!, March 23, 2000
This review is from: Ticks [VHS] (VHS Tape)
i really liked this movie.and my worst fear is bugs so this one scared the hell outta me.and this movie is packed with gore and violence.gross,but cool.like when the doctor steps on the tick and all it's guts come gushing out and then they take out it's insides...up close! the camera is so close to the tick.i wanted to throw up.and im a real fan of Seth Green so this is my movie!some good scares too.I'll warn you,DONT EAT WHILE WATCHING THIS MOVIE! unless you want to throw up.i almost did.after i watched this movie,i was freaked out.now im afraid to step on the floor or go outside,afraid that some giant ticks will eat me! and get inside my skin and eat my insides like in the movie.if you like gore and violence,see this movie.i dont think there could be any other movie grosser than this.it's grosser than friday the 13th! i thought that was the grossest movie i'd ever saw but not anymore.and it had Ami Dolenz and im a big fan of her,too

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a Great horror flick. it left me scared to move!!, August 13, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Ticks [VHS] (VHS Tape)
the movie was about wood ticks who got in contact with a subtance farmers use to make weed grow. the grew huge and atacted a couple of people camping. i was a Fantastic movie . if you love horror films this will surely suit you. i screamed and then i didnt want to leave my sofa to turn it off and neither did anyone one eles. this is one great movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars worked for me, April 9, 2002
"bear_man81620" (Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ticks [VHS] (VHS Tape)
If you like the b-movie monsters, you'll probably get a kick out of this one. I did. Along the same idea as Piranha or Bats, you can almost certainly guess the plot before the opening credits roll. A group of teenagers is taken out to the country to expand their horizons, and meets up with a forest full of ticks mutated by a plant steroid that some of the locals are using on their hidden...groves. Surprisingly realistic creature FX, and lots of very familiar faces make it more enjoyable than I was expecting. I only give it 3 out of 5 stars for a few reasons. Peter Scolari's acting is fine, but his character is constantly doing one irritating thing. He's supposed to be trying to help these city kids, but he constantly leaves them alone, for very shallow reasons, outside in an old campground, after having been informed that the local growers are pretty ruthless about strangers nosing around their crops. A little thing I know, but with all of the talent and creative creature designs applied here, they could have given the "grown-ups" some better characterization.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mutant Ticks Run Amok!!, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Ticks (DVD)
I remember watching this on vhs back in 1993 when it came out. The plot is simple, liquid steroids leak into the soil and cause plain old ticks to turn into ravenous blood suckers bent on killing any dog or person they can suck the blood from. The pot growers are the reason for the contamination of the ticks.
If you enjoy your horror on the wet and red side this is for you. There are several great gore scenes,bladder effects, bug squishing, mucho moistness and splatter! I watched the end credits because the special effects were so well done, KNB fx!! That would explain it because they were the best in the horror genre at the time!
So if you are looking for a group of young campers to become dinner for the ticks this is your film of choice. I am so glad to see this finally on dvd. It is a great,gory, film that belongs on any gore hounds shelves.

Ticks [Blu-ray]
Ticks [Blu-ray] by Tony Randel (Blu-ray - 2013)
$29.95 $16.98