Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tiddler
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 30, 2008
My son got this book for his 3rd birthday, and it quickly became both his and my favorite. The story is a cute one -- a little fish named Tiddler tells elaborate stories about why he's late to school every day. Then one day he is caught in a fisherman's net and then lost in the ocean. Then he hears someone telling one of his tall tales, and he traces his own story back home.

The book rhymes and has repeating text, so even the smallest kid can "read along." The pictures are gorgeous, imaginative and full of details for little eyes to notice. The story is fun for kids and really very touching for adults. Put a child on your lap and read this with them . . . over and over and over again.
on October 4, 2011
I love this story, and so does my four-year-old. However it is sold in England simply as "Tiddler". I feel that renaming it as "The Fish Who Cried Wolf" for the US market really does it a disservice. This is clear from the reviews by those expecting morals from the story that were neither intended nor implied in its original format. I see it as a celebration of creativity and the often distracted and nonconformist behaviours of those who are very creative. Tiddler is not caught out because of his exaggerations, as this new title implies. He is caught out because he is daydreaming, and he is saved by the spectacular and memorable nature of his exaggerations. HUGE difference.
on July 11, 2008
Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler's THE FISH WHO CRIED WOLF tells of the smallest ocean fish who tells the tallest tales to explain his tardiness - until one day he really is caught by a fisherman. Can he use his storytelling abilities to escape? Hilarious fish drawings add personality and zest to the funny story of an unusual talent.
on March 9, 2016
I love this book, and my 4 and 6 year old boys love it, too. I read it months ago, so I don't recall all the details, however, Tiddler is a fish with a big imagination. He's often late for class and makes up big stories. Then he gets lost and has to find his way back. I checked it out from a library that my hotel's kid's club had while on a family vacation, and it is now one of my favorite kids books. It has a cute story that is very easy to read in a fun and animated way which gets a lot of giggles. I am about to buy it on Amazon and highly recommend it.
on January 10, 2013
My daughter is a big fan of Graffalo so this book was an automatic winner for her. The drawings are fun and the story is very interested and fun to read, even for adults. A great book for young children!
on February 28, 2016
yes, the similarities with Finding Nemo are quite extraordinary. Being caught in the net, the school teacher is a ray/skate, the kid is a clownfish. Finding Nemo came out in 2003, this came out in 2007. Really strange that she would be so derivative.

Despite that, it IS an enjoyable book and really fun to read to young children. A nice story, some of her best rhymes.
on March 6, 2015
This is a great story who always comes up with a far fetched excuse as to why he is late to school, until one day he really does have a reason to be very late indeed.
This is a lovely story, brilliantly written with amazing illustrations. Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffer always make a great team and this book is no exception
on June 12, 2011
Julia Donaldson does it again. My kids love this book. The rhyming and overall storytelling are great. The illustrations add to the overall effect. Will have to buy another because the first one we have has been read by the kids so often.
on October 21, 2008
Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler quickly became my 3 year old twin boys' favorite author/illustrator team with wonderful books like The Gruffalo, Room on the Broom, The Snail and the Whale, Charlie Cook's Favorite Book, Where's My Mom, and The Spiffiest Giant in Town. I even bought a set of these books for my 5 year old nephew because he loved them and asked for copies of his own. The Fish Who Cried Wolf definitely does not disappoint and is currently at the top of the Most Requested Books List in our home. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is engaging for kids as well as adults. I can read this story again and again and my boys never tire of hearing it as well as the other books created by this fabulous team of Donaldson and Scheffler. Definitely buy this book. You will not be disappointed.
on January 26, 2013
Just to be clear I gave this book by Julia Donelson / Axel Scheffler 3 stars because compared to other Julia Donelson / Axel Scheffler books it's a 3 star book. Compared to most other children's books though this is a 5 star book without question. I've made the assumption that if you're looking at this book you're familiar with the author and illustrator or are comparing this book to others by them, and not to other children's books by other authors.

We own many of the Julia Donelson / Axel Scheffler books, and they are all outstanding. Tiddler does not shine when compared with "The Gruffalo", "The Gruffalo Child", "Room on the Broom" or "Tabby McTat" by the same author and illustrator, but it's still an excellent children's book - and far better than all but the very best out there. The book is the tale of a small and tardy fish who makes up tall stories to cover for his tendency to be late for school, until he unwittingly becomes involved in a real tale of high drama. The illustrations are, as with every Axel Scheffler book, beautiful, detailed and humorous and will have you spending time just combing through the pictures, quite apart from reading the story. In Tiddler, Julia Donelson employs a similar clever rhyming scheme to those used in her other books, and it adds to the charm and memorability of the story. While not Julia Donelson's best children's book (and I'm sure there would be quite an argument over which one exactly that would be), it's certainly a good one. My daughters, aged 3 and 6, love all the Julia Donelson books, and I highly recommend them.Personally, owning many of her books already, I think everyone should own every one of her books - and that's now our goal.

Pros:
Excellent book
Beautifully illustrated
Clever, memorable story
Children will return to and re-read this book over and over again

Cons:
Not their very best, most excellent book - If you are not a Julie Donelson / Axel Scheffler connoisseur, I'd recommend that your first purchase be "The Gruffalo", then possibly "Room on the broom" after which you'll be hoooked and want them all.