1,170 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST LAUNDRY DETERGENT EVER!
I am a long time Gain girl. I've used (and preferred) Gain's products over the expensive Tide brand for years. I prefer their scents, their liquids, and their powders. But then I got a sample of one of these in the mail with a coupon to buy more...

Published on March 28, 2012 by Autumn in jeans

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a big fan
Published on May 5, 2012 by DallasMom

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST LAUNDRY DETERGENT EVER!, March 28, 2012
Autumn in jeans (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews

I am writing this review after having purchased and used and entire box of 57 count Tide Pods (Spring Meadow scented).

Tide has changed this Gain girl into a Tide girl! I have an extra large washer (4.3 cubic feet) and I was worried that one little pod would not be enough for one of my LARGE loads. Boy was I in for a shock. Not only did this little thing clean everything efficiently, but somehow they managed to pack a whole lot of scent in this tiny pod. The smell is NOT over powering, but it's strong enough to breathe in as you pull your laundry out of the dryer, and it sticks to the garments long after they've been washed! My California King down alternative comforter still smells amazing even though it's been two weeks since I last washed it. And the best part is ONE POD got it sparkling white again.

I have several kids' socks that have gotten kind of dingy after so many washings (doesn't help that the kiddos like to run around outside in their socks either) and I had given up on them ever being white again. Tide pods made my whites come out whiter and my colors come out brighter. The price is absolutely perfect for 57 loads. I pay at least that for Gain's products!!

I do have to add softener to the wash still (it's not a part of the pods - which if you have anyone in your family who has eczema, this is a GOOD thing!) but that's perfectly fine with me.

If you have a front loader (I used to, but I went back to top loading after a while) and you have problems with mildew in the door, it could be caused from using TOO MUCH SOAP which leaves soap scum in the rubber seal of the door, and allows mildew to grow on it. This happens frequently if you use soap that is NOT made for an H.E. washer!! I had this problem with our front loader (which is part of the reason we went back to top loading when we bought our new washer). These pods however, help prevent that. They're made for H.E. machines AND they only give as much soap as needed, no matter the load size - I think this has a lot to do with how easily the soap inside of them breaks down in the wash.

They work well if you're using all cold water or all hot water or a mix of the two. I haven't found a reason to complain about these yet!!

With every load I've ever done I always use softener in the wash AND a dryer sheet in the dryer. I followed the same routine with the pods (softener in the wash, dryer sheet in the dryer) and I still say the scent with the pods is STRONGER than it has ever been with regular detergent. I love, love, love these little pods!! I am hooked for life!! I can't wait to try the other scents Tide offers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricing and info, March 21, 2012
Rebecca N (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
PROS
Convenient to carry if you need to do laundry out of your home
Easier for kids and laundry-phobes to do it right
Just like regular tide
Priced competitively (as of this review writing)

CONS
No flexibility in measurement

PRICING
Some of the reviews here talk about pricing, which I want to address.

These tide pods cost about 31 cents per pod, based on current Amazon pricing at the time of this review. This assumes 1 pod per load, which, according to the package instructions, is good for "most loads". The package does suggest using 2 pods for "heavily soiled" loads. But less assume 1 pod for an average load, just as a bottle of tide that says it's good for 32 loads assumes you are using a "normal" amount.

Based on this, if you look at other Tide products sold here, you will see that the average load costs between 25-40 cents. Based on that, this product is no more expensive than the liquid version.

SIZE
These were larger than I expected, and they are filled with a milky liquid. I guess I was expecting a smaller compressed tablet like dishwasher tabs. But these are just packets of highly concentrated liquid that dissolves

CONVENIENCE
Well, I have a washer/dryer at home. I can see how these would be easier to take to the laundromat since you don't have to lug a whole bottle. But I don't have that issue. I also have no problems measuring a capful and I don't find that to be "messy" or whatever problem these tabs are trying to solve. So for me, this isn't really better than liquid.

(Lack of) PROBLEMS
I did not have the dissolving problem another reviewer mentioned. I don't know why s/he had that problem and I didn't. I waited until I had done 5 loads of laundry before writing this review (2 whites, 3 colors) and it all came out fine. It didn't blow me away -- it was just no different than when I use Tide liquid. It was fine.
I also had no itchiness or heavy scents or anything else to complain about. If you've used the regular tide detergent, you'll get a similar experience with these.

USE THESE AGAIN?
The thing is, I actually like the flexibility of measuring detergent. I never measure exactly. If it's a smaller load I might pour 3/4 of the way to the fill line. A little larger or dirtier, and I'll go above the fill line. I do the same with bleach. I like that kind of wiggle room. So I'll probably stick with a regular old bottle. But these are fine too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Pods!, February 28, 2012
Nadar (Sunnyvale, CA) - See all my reviews
I saw this product at the local Costo store and decided to give it a try after moving from liquid to tabs for our dishwasher.

What I realized so far is that, the liquids are cheaper to buy but expensive to use. That is, not every one has a good judgement of how much liquid to use for the given load. So I end of using too much liquid thus making each load expensive and overall expensive soap purchase.

The pods works as advertised, one pod per load is good enough and it is well measured usage of detergents. I would say that because of this, not much detergents goes to the drain and thus environmentally better.

Since I live in a apartment complex, I have to carry the liquid soap bottle all the way to the laundry area and back. With this, I just have to carry few pods with me.

I would recommend this product very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dissolve Problem? No! Here's Why, November 20, 2012
Great product and very easy to use. I love it. I wish Amazon would maintain stock as these pods are very expensive in my rural area. If the clothes are very dirty, use 2 pods. I've not had a single unsatisfactory load.

Now, let's address this issue of the pods failing to dissolve. I have well water which is very hard and it comes out of the ground very, very cold at around 40 degrees F. Hard water and very cold temperatures ought to be the perfect situation for the a gummy dissolve failure. But it doesn't happen.

Why? The directions clearly state to put the pod in the machine before adding the clothes. The water plus the pounding of the clothes will certainly break these things down. If added after the clothes, I could see the undissolved pod easily 'floating' toward the drain where it would not be subjected to the pounding necessary to break up.

Added first, it is virtually impossible for these pods not to break down.

One note of caution. Front loaders have a "clean" cycle used to clean the drums. You must run that cycle, with no clothes and no soap at least once a month. This will clean your machine of soap residue. Running this cycle will amaze you at the soap build up and the water and steam will be very, very foamy. This cycle improves the efficiency of your machine too.

Chris Reich
TeachU.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., June 3, 2013
I was VERY hesitant to use a product like this.
A few years ago I tried Purex 3 in 1 sheets with results that were nothing short of disastrous.
That product stained all my clothes and I swore I'd never use anything remotely like it again.
But then I saw Tide pods and read all the wonderful reviews.
So...I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did.
It's so nice to be able to tell exactly when you're going to run out vs. the liquid.
A bag of pods doesn't weigh nearly as much as the liquid.
No mess, no spills.
Just throw one in, throw your clothes on top of it and you're done.
My clothes came out smelling wonderful and there was nothing left of the pod either.
I checked to make sure because I've read some people have had the plastic thing melt in the dryer.
Nope, mine dissolved completely.
I love this product and will stay with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a big fan, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Tide Pods Laundry Detergent Spring Meadow Scent 77 Count (Health and Beauty)
I wanted to love these little guys. Love the just toss and go ease of it. However, I just finished a week's laundry and found that the plastic shell does not always dissolve. It doesn't' matter hot or cold cycle. I have a He front load machine. I also think the pods smell a little funny, sort of a chemical smell that may have to do with a petroleum based plastic. I am back to Tide Liquid, still the best on the market if not the most expensive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convenient little slime balls ... makes laundry that much easier., April 30, 2012
Jerry Jackson Jr. (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I decided to give the Tide Pods a try since I used to use nothing but Tide liquid detergent and these new pods promised to be as easy as the Cascade Complete All-in-1 packets I've been using for several years. For starters, I use a Kenmore High-Efficiency Top-Load washer. The instructions for my washer clearly state that the detergent goes in "before" the clothes, so I just drop in one of these Tide Pods before I put in the laundry. The Pods feel "slimy" in my hands (unlike Cascade Complete dishwasher packets which feel like plastic) but you just grab one and toss it into your washer machine rather than measuring out detergent.

The Pods have always dissolved completely in the wash when I have used them but I'm not sure how well they would dissolve if you forgot and just tossed one in on top of your laundry. I suspect those reviewers reporting the Tide Pods do not completely dissolve might not be putting the Pods in before the laundry.

The scent is essentially the same as the Tide liquid detergent I used to use, but my wife switched to a Melaleuca brand detergent a few weeks before I started testing the Tide Pods and the Tide detergent has a MUCH stronger fragrance than the Melaleuca detergent. In any case, it smells clean and isn't off-putting.

I have just used a single Pod in every washer load ... even large loads that might technically be considered "overloading" my washer. My clothes have been coming out perfectly clean. The package says to use two Pods with heavily soiled loads but I haven't tried that yet. That is the one negative issue with using the Pods: no ability to measure partial loads of detergent.

If you are washing a small load then you don't need an entire Pod but you have to use an entire Pod anyway. Likewise, if you're washing a large load or a slightly dirtier load then you might want to use "a little" extra detergent but not "twice" the amount used for a regular load. If you use the Pods you have to use one or two ... you can't break them in half.

Overall, I like the convenience of using the Tide Pods with my laundry and I would recommend these since they make laundry a little quicker. I just wish Tide made these so you can break each Pod in half ... that way you can use a half a Pod for a small load of laundry or use one and a half Pods for a larger/dirtier load.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pod Problems, May 24, 2012
Tide PODS Detergent, Ocean Mist, 35 loads, 1 bag I had bought these to try out. PROS: Cleans well & easy to use. Cons: Do not always melt in which case you have to rewash the item. And after using the pods for several weeks, I am now finding a lingering sour smell in my clothes & washer.

I have owned this washer for many many years. Its not one of the newer HE models. Its just a no special Maytag. Not once in all the time I have owned it did I ever run into the smell problem.Nor did I ever in my life have a load of sour smelling clothes that stayed that way until I rewashed everything using the powder form of Tide. Not until Tide Pods. I am sticking to Tide Powder Detergent. I may have to scoop but I don't measure so it doesn't take any longer to scoop than to get the pod out of the bag & toss it in & close the bag again. I have used Tide for decades in powder form & never had the sour smell problem.

I would have gave a 5 star review several weeks ago but the longer I use them the less stars they are earning. As of today they get 1 star & I would recommend the powder. I tossed the pods that were unused in the garbage. I didn't want to give them to someone & have them get angry at me in case the "bad sour smell from hell" descends upon their laundry!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT use this product!!!, August 20, 2013
Please don't take any chances with this product! I have been using Tide PODS for over six months and didn't experience any problems until recently. The PODS have stained and ruined three brand new shirts that I washed in separate loads. Two of the shirts were stained with a purplish blue color from the POD. I have re-washed these shirts several times with stain remover, and the stains have lightened but will not come all the way out. One of the shirts came out of the laundry with small pieces of melted-on plastic stuck on the fabric. I soaked the shirt and tried to get the plastic off very carefully, but inevitably, the plastic only came off after ripping a hole in my shirt! While the product is great for convenience, it's not worth the risk of ruining any more clothes. After having this experience, I started looking at reviews online and have found numerous others have had the same problems. I have switched back to another brand and refuse to use any more Tide products!

1.0 out of 5 stars not for my washing machine, September 1, 2012
I bought these pods when on vacation. I thought they might be more convenient to use. I have a maytag front loader and I watched the machine start and then I watched the pod go directly into the front portion of the washer (the place you sometimes find the odd sock). So I had to stop the machine and take it out. So I was careful the next few times to make sure it was in the back of the machine. But low and behold, after the cycle was finished, I again checked that front area and I still found the partial remains of a pod. I won't be using them again.

Rate and Discover Movies