2,138 Reviews
 (1,479)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for detergent conservation
For years I've using Tide Original Scent and it's treated my sensitive skin pretty well. The original doesn't have an overpowering scent, but I've decided to take it a step further and go dye- and fragrance-free with these new detergent pods. My skin likes it!

Published 9 days ago by Big Red

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT use this product!!!
Published 17 months ago by iBelieve

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for detergent conservation, January 21, 2015

Toss one in before putting your laundry in and it completely dissolves during the wash. Pretty cool. Nothing to pick up after running a wash, and my clothes came out fresh and clean. My clothes almost never get stained badly, so I'm not sure how effective a single pod would be, but I imagine tossing in two of them would do the trick.

Lastly, the pod is great for detergent conservation. You don't have to worry if you're using too much or too little detergent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricing and info, March 21, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
PROS
Convenient to carry if you need to do laundry out of your home
Easier for kids and laundry-phobes to do it right
Just like regular tide
Priced competitively (as of this review writing)

CONS
No flexibility in measurement

PRICING
Some of the reviews here talk about pricing, which I want to address.

These tide pods cost about 31 cents per pod, based on current Amazon pricing at the time of this review. This assumes 1 pod per load, which, according to the package instructions, is good for "most loads". The package does suggest using 2 pods for "heavily soiled" loads. But less assume 1 pod for an average load, just as a bottle of tide that says it's good for 32 loads assumes you are using a "normal" amount.

Based on this, if you look at other Tide products sold here, you will see that the average load costs between 25-40 cents. Based on that, this product is no more expensive than the liquid version.

SIZE
These were larger than I expected, and they are filled with a milky liquid. I guess I was expecting a smaller compressed tablet like dishwasher tabs. But these are just packets of highly concentrated liquid that dissolves

CONVENIENCE
Well, I have a washer/dryer at home. I can see how these would be easier to take to the laundromat since you don't have to lug a whole bottle. But I don't have that issue. I also have no problems measuring a capful and I don't find that to be "messy" or whatever problem these tabs are trying to solve. So for me, this isn't really better than liquid.

(Lack of) PROBLEMS
I did not have the dissolving problem another reviewer mentioned. I don't know why s/he had that problem and I didn't. I waited until I had done 5 loads of laundry before writing this review (2 whites, 3 colors) and it all came out fine. It didn't blow me away -- it was just no different than when I use Tide liquid. It was fine.
I also had no itchiness or heavy scents or anything else to complain about. If you've used the regular tide detergent, you'll get a similar experience with these.

USE THESE AGAIN?
The thing is, I actually like the flexibility of measuring detergent. I never measure exactly. If it's a smaller load I might pour 3/4 of the way to the fill line. A little larger or dirtier, and I'll go above the fill line. I do the same with bleach. I like that kind of wiggle room. So I'll probably stick with a regular old bottle. But these are fine too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Nice Pods!, February 28, 2012
Nadar (Sunnyvale, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tide Pods Detergent Ocean Mist 77 Count (Health and Beauty)
I saw this product at the local Costo store and decided to give it a try after moving from liquid to tabs for our dishwasher.

What I realized so far is that, the liquids are cheaper to buy but expensive to use. That is, not every one has a good judgement of how much liquid to use for the given load. So I end of using too much liquid thus making each load expensive and overall expensive soap purchase.

The pods works as advertised, one pod per load is good enough and it is well measured usage of detergents. I would say that because of this, not much detergents goes to the drain and thus environmentally better.

Since I live in a apartment complex, I have to carry the liquid soap bottle all the way to the laundry area and back. With this, I just have to carry few pods with me.

I would recommend this product very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dissolve Problem? No! Here's Why, November 20, 2012
Great product and very easy to use. I love it. I wish Amazon would maintain stock as these pods are very expensive in my rural area. If the clothes are very dirty, use 2 pods. I've not had a single unsatisfactory load.

Now, let's address this issue of the pods failing to dissolve. I have well water which is very hard and it comes out of the ground very, very cold at around 40 degrees F. Hard water and very cold temperatures ought to be the perfect situation for the a gummy dissolve failure. But it doesn't happen.

Why? The directions clearly state to put the pod in the machine before adding the clothes. The water plus the pounding of the clothes will certainly break these things down. If added after the clothes, I could see the undissolved pod easily 'floating' toward the drain where it would not be subjected to the pounding necessary to break up.

Added first, it is virtually impossible for these pods not to break down.

One note of caution. Front loaders have a "clean" cycle used to clean the drums. You must run that cycle, with no clothes and no soap at least once a month. This will clean your machine of soap residue. Running this cycle will amaze you at the soap build up and the water and steam will be very, very foamy. This cycle improves the efficiency of your machine too.

Chris Reich
TeachU.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for pet lovers, ebay sellers and especially for Veterinary Clinics and Shelters!, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
**I understand this review is appearing in conjunction with several different Tide detergent pod products, so I should clarify... this review is for Tide Free and Gentle HE pods, a 57-count item that comes in a plastic canister that, while not 'child-proof,' is not completely trivial to open. I wouldn't recommend pods with fragrance and/or dyes for pets, especially cats. Further any of the pods are extremely dangerous if consumed by children and pets; the Free and Gentle pods are plain and NOTt brightly colored and "candy-like," but they are just as dangerous. All pods should be stored out of reach of children in a container that protects them from accidentally being dissolved or smooshed.**

Eerily enough, I was looking for a free and clear high-efficiency detergent in the store just a week ago. At the time, at least the grocery store in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, it didn't seem to exist. We use dryer sheets that are free of dyes and perfumes and I wished I could find a detergent for our front-load washer that was free of dyes and perfumes, also. And now, on Amazon, here it is!

First of all, it's Tide, arguably the most popular detergent on the planet. No phosphates, of course, but also no 1,4-Dioxane. No perfumes and dyes, which is great for those with sensitive skin and sensitive noses. As a Veterinary Technician, I'm often doing laundry for cats and dogs as well as for humans. For that, you need an effective detergent and stain remover, but also something that is gentle on those oh-so-sensitive critter noses. What smells 'floral' or 'fresh' to us is more like an assault with chemical weapons to them!

Next, it's a pod. If you aren't familiar with these, they are a little fluid-filled sac of liquid detergent. The great thing about them is that there is no measuring required, so you know everybody will use the correct amount of detergent (which is generally a lot less than you think is required and almost certainly less than your teenaged child or the newest kennel assistant is going to use). The sac dissolves in water, any temperature (but faster in hot). I put a sac into an agitation-free clear dish of cold water overnight. It took one minute for the membrane to breech, 15 minutes for detergent to begin to blend with the water. By the next morning, when I "strained" the dish through a terrycloth towel, there was no sign of the sac; it had completely dissolved, and the dish easily rinsed clean.

The pods can be used in both front-load (high-efficiency) machines and standard machines.

I don't know about you, but I hate buying something on ebay that comes heavily scented by detergent and softener. I hope more sellers will use Free and Clear products to prevent that.

Also, for the Veterinary Clinic or animal shelter -- these are pre-measured 'doses,' so less waste and no guessing; the included stain remover did a fine job on my 'everyday' dirt level (I still pre-treat things like dried blood, ground-in grass stains -- you know what I'm talking about) AND all the critters, especially cats, are going to love that smocks, towels and bedding aren't full of nasty perfumes.

CAUTION: Do be VERY careful to keep these pods away from children and pets. If bitten into, the concentrated detergent can squirt down the throat and esophagus and the result can be life threatening. These pods are not "candy colored" like many and the hard-sided cannister they come in has several tabs on the lid that make it difficult for small hands to open, but, like all household chemicals, it should be kept out of reach and/or behind a locked cabinet door.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., June 3, 2013
I was VERY hesitant to use a product like this.
A few years ago I tried Purex 3 in 1 sheets with results that were nothing short of disastrous.
That product stained all my clothes and I swore I'd never use anything remotely like it again.
But then I saw Tide pods and read all the wonderful reviews.
So...I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did.
It's so nice to be able to tell exactly when you're going to run out vs. the liquid.
A bag of pods doesn't weigh nearly as much as the liquid.
No mess, no spills.
Just throw one in, throw your clothes on top of it and you're done.
My clothes came out smelling wonderful and there was nothing left of the pod either.
I checked to make sure because I've read some people have had the plastic thing melt in the dryer.
Nope, mine dissolved completely.
I love this product and will stay with it.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT use this product!!!, August 20, 2013
Please don't take any chances with this product! I have been using Tide PODS for over six months and didn't experience any problems until recently. The PODS have stained and ruined three brand new shirts that I washed in separate loads. Two of the shirts were stained with a purplish blue color from the POD. I have re-washed these shirts several times with stain remover, and the stains have lightened but will not come all the way out. One of the shirts came out of the laundry with small pieces of melted-on plastic stuck on the fabric. I soaked the shirt and tried to get the plastic off very carefully, but inevitably, the plastic only came off after ripping a hole in my shirt! While the product is great for convenience, it's not worth the risk of ruining any more clothes. After having this experience, I started looking at reviews online and have found numerous others have had the same problems. I have switched back to another brand and refuse to use any more Tide products!

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 4, 2014 1:28:39 PM PST
Hi there. We've read your story and we're so incredibly sorry to hear that you've had such trouble with Tide PODS®. If you are placing the POD® directly in the machine drum before adding clothes and and not overloading and still getting these results, please call us at 1-855-236-3353. We look forward to making things right. Thank you!

1.0 out of 5 stars not for my washing machine, September 1, 2012
I bought these pods when on vacation. I thought they might be more convenient to use. I have a maytag front loader and I watched the machine start and then I watched the pod go directly into the front portion of the washer (the place you sometimes find the odd sock). So I had to stop the machine and take it out. So I was careful the next few times to make sure it was in the back of the machine. But low and behold, after the cycle was finished, I again checked that front area and I still found the partial remains of a pod. I won't be using them again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleans clothes well, pleasant scent & tough on stains, April 7, 2013
I have used Tide pods quite frequently over the last year or so. I like the convenience of the pods and not dealing with detergent bottles dripping with sticky liquid detergent residue. I like that the pods are already pre measured for me, so it is completely effortless as I just throw one into the load, close the door and start the wash. If I have an extremely soiled large load then I use two pods, but usually I have found that one pod is sufficient to clean my clothes.

The fragrance, Mystic Forest, is quite pleasant. You notice a clean and fresh smell on your clothes but it is not overpowering. After my year of use I have never had the pods not dissolve. I do have a very long cycled washing machine though, so that may have something to do with it. I do pretreat most large stains with spray and wash, and I find that combined with the tide pods, the stains come completely out. I have tested the pods on some smaller stains and washed them without using the spray and wash, and I have found that the pods usually do a pretty good job of removing most, if not all, of the stain when just used alone.

Also, I have not noticed my clothes fading after using the pods. I will say though that to keep my colored shirts and pants looking colorful without fading, I line dry them. If you find that your T-shirts are looking drab and faded, try switching from drying your shirts and colored pants in the dryer to line drying. Your clothes will look amazing when you line dry them as the heat from the dryer really destroys the integrity of the fabric and sucks the color out of clothes.

Though some reviewers have complained that they don't like that you can't adjust the amount of detergent with the pods like you can with the liquid detergent, I just recommend using one pod for most loads and for an extra large load or an especially soiled load, just use two pods. So, for the above reasons, I recommend the Tide pods for their convenience and their cleaning power!

1.0 out of 5 stars tide pods don't work, March 29, 2012
I bought the tide pods a few weeks ago attempting to make it easier for my children to do the laundry. I was very disappointed. The stains were still in the clothing, nor did they even smell as if they had been washed. I truly don't think they even dissolved in the cold water wash. Very disappointed, expected more from tide. I will stick to the liquid or powder because these things are clearly not cutting it.

Tide Pods Detergent Ocean Mist 77 Count