4.0 out of 5 stars A colorful cast of characters from Coble's new book :-)
I've enjoyed yet another novel by Colleen Coble! Tidewater Inn was a good beginning to this new series, and I'm looking forward to getting to know the folks at Hope Beach even more in the coming books.

Published 23 months ago by Katie McCurdy

3.0 out of 5 stars Tidewater Inn
Tidewater Inn started off great, with a kidnapping in the first chapter! The story had some very intriguing parts: the kidnapping (of course), a long kept secret that changes Libby's life forever (not saying what it is, but it was very surprising J), Hope Island itself (it sounds SO beautiful), and the sparks between Libby and Alec, the Coast Guard lieutenant...
Published 23 months ago by Megan

3.0 out of 5 stars Tidewater Inn, August 16, 2012
This review is from: Tidewater Inn (The Hope Beach Series) (Paperback)

However, almost as soon as Libby got to Hope Island, some parts of the story began to be a bit repetitive. One example of this: Libby would say she would love to keep the inn, but she doesn't know how she could afford the upkeep - I lost count of how many times this was said, but it was a lot! I found this to be very unusual for this author's books - I don't remember her other books doing that, but I did read them quite a long time ago, so maybe they did?

Besides the repetitiveness, the story kept me interested throughout almost the whole book, but the ending was a bit sudden. I am hoping that in the next book, Rosemary Cottage, there will be more about Libby.

To fans of Colleen's Rock Harbor series, I want to let you know that Bree and Samson make an appearance in this novel. I loved being able to reunite with Bree - it has been awhile. I completely enjoyed her parts in the story.

I have to say the cover kind of annoys me. It's beautiful and everything, but I hate when covers don't match the story. In the book, the inn is a Georgian mansion with over 2,000 sq. ft of decks and balconies alone! Yet the cover shows a house that looks very much like a Victorian and doesn't seem anywhere near the size of the house in the story, which sounds huge as it has 15 bedroom suites - if I am remembering correctly. The cover not matching doesn't hurt the story, it is just a pet peeve of mine and so this doesn't affect my rating.

Overall, while this is not one of my favorite books by Colleen, it was still enjoyable. If you love romantic books with suspenseful aspects to it, you will probably like this book more than I did.

***I received a complimentary copy of this book to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done.***

4.0 out of 5 stars A colorful cast of characters from Coble's new book :-), September 1, 2012
This review is from: Tidewater Inn (The Hope Beach Series) (Paperback)

Tidewater Inn brought in a colorful cast of characters--from moody and unreadable Brent to loveable and faithful Libby. It was fun to get to know them all, though I especially loved getting to know Alec--the handsome fella who was interested in Libby. There sweet, little `courtship' during the days of investigation was so...well, sweet!!

I'll admit that there were a few instances where I paused and wondered at the believability of some of the characters actions. I do hate to give away any kind of spoiler, so I'll resist from saying more. This was just the one thing that kind of bothered me.

Even then, Tidewater Inn was an enjoyable read from start to finish. It begins strong--how can a kidnapping not capture the reader's attention??--and pushes on to a strong finish. If you've never had the pleasure of reading a book by Colleen Coble, I encourage you to get out there and try one! She always ensures a delightful read.

I reviewed this book for Thomas Nelson via Litfuse. It was not required that I give a positive review, but solely to express my own thoughts and opinions of this book, which I have done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tidewater Inn, July 4, 2012
Tidewater Inn - Colleen Coble

I was just sitting here and reading Tidewater Inn and thinking that this was different from Colleen's other novels - more a cozy rainy evening read than a romantic suspense, when bam! Out of the blue came the first shot. And no...that's as far as I am going to go with that except to tell you I read this in one day.
I adore Libby and the staunch loyalty she had for her business partner and best friend, Nicole and I loved how she lived out the question "What Would Jesus Do?". Yes, she messed up in living that motto, but she acknowledged it both in her thoughts and in her journal. There were a lot of twists and turns and surprises in the novel, just what I have come to anticipate from Colleen and a satisfying way of tying up the ends. A fairly new Christian, with little teaching from her family from what I could gather, yet willing to learn, ready to listen.
Alec is a strong individual, fisherman by trade, but Coast Guard all the way. He took in his brother's son when his brother and wife were killed in a plane crash, and becomes parent to a teenager, Zach who not only is a teenager, but dealing with anger and grief.
This book is definitely a page-turner suspense novel, and I will recommend it to my friends and aquaintances.

I received this ebook free from Thomas Nelson Publishers through their booksneeze program in exchange for an honest review. A positive one was not required. The thoughts and opinions stated in this review are my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meeting New Friends and Old in Another Excellent Coble book, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Tidewater Inn (The Hope Beach Series) (Paperback)
My Review: Libby's best friend and business partner,Nicole, is kidnapped right before her eyes and there's nothing she can do to stop it. There is more than one mystery for Libby to deal with as she travels to Hope Island to find the truth about her father and to find her friend.

Once again, Colleen Coble gives readers a little bit of everything, a great mystery, strong characters to love and hate with romance mixed in, but most of all she gives us a great story. The author paints a beautiful pictures of Hope Island, a small fishing community where everyone knows everyone's business. Our main character not only faces a difficult past and the realization that her mother lied to her, but she deals with a half brother and sister who want nothing to do with her.

The story line is strong with the mystery of her friends kidnapping along with a lot of whys regarding her recently deceased father. As she so often does, Colleen Coble keeps you guessing who the villain is until the end. Another thing I loved about this story was Colleen brings to Hope Island a couple of my favorite characters, Bree and Samson.

Staying true with her books, the author provides us with what I call "a line of redemption" where at least one character ends the story with a relationship or stronger relationship to God than they started with. For me this is an important factor when I read Christian fiction. I want a good story with strong characters, I personally prefer and nice mix of suspense and romance, but I love seeing ways that God can work in lives. This book gives me those things.

If you're a Colleen Coble fan, you should enjoy this story. If you've never read Colleen Coble but enjoy a mystery, with romance and a hurricane, check out Tidewater Inn.

Disclaimer: I received this copy from the publisher through [...] however, I'm under no obligation to give anything but my honest opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Are You Kidding Me???, November 19, 2013
This might have been the worst book I've ever read. I cannot believe the 5 star ratings. I am fine with the religion included in the book, which is why, I'm guessing so many people rated it high. A normal person would not be going about their daily lives if their friend was missing and they SAW them being abducted. They would be telling everyone and calling everyone. They would not be waiting around for sunrise to find a boat. They would not be flirting and discussing everyday things. I could go on and on with Libby. And don't even get me started on what and idiot Zach is. And you don't immediately run screaming to tell everyone that a scuba diver tried to kill you. You just sit on the beach. I don't have time or the energy to go over everything that is wrong with this book but all the plots and decisions are just crazy.

1.0 out of 5 stars A book for the Beach, August 2, 2013
The setting was lovely. The kind of place you hope you can find on a map and visit. Beyond that, the book was just corny. I started getting suspicious when the main character started saying things like, "What would Jesus do?". It would have been a far better book if the author had not laid on the religion so thickly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, February 9, 2014
I've read about one fourth of this book and am very sorry I paid $9.99 for it! The plot is silly and implausible and the characters are insipid. I'm getting ready to delete it.
This author writes in a very simplistic manner more suitable for a preteen audience.
I gave it one star because zero wasn't an option!

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved That Bree & Samson Were In This Book!, January 28, 2013
This review is from: Tidewater Inn (The Hope Beach Series) (Paperback)
I've read a lot of Colleen Coble's books and she is a favorite author of mine. Although Tidewater Inn isn't my favorite of hers (that would be Abomination), I did still like it and found it to be an enjoyable read.

Something I particularly loved was how Bree, her family, and search & rescue dog, Samson, showed up in Tidewater Inn and played an important role in the story! I'm so glad Colleen brought back these characters and I hope they will be in some of her future novels as well.

I didn't care for how the story seemed to repeat things often and, at times, seemed inconsistent. I liked the characters and my favorite was probably Alec or Libby (I'm excluding Bree and her family because, of course, they are favorites).

There were quite a few times I was surprised by things in Tidewater Inn - which I really liked.

Overall, I enjoyed Tidewater Inn and look forward to reading book two in the Hope Beach series when it releases. If you enjoy mystery novels with some sweet romance, then I think you might enjoy Tidewater Inn as well. Good read!

*I received a complimentary eBook copy of the book for my review. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*

5.0 out of 5 stars Suspense and Mystery on Hope Island!, July 30, 2012
While on a video call with her business partner and friend, Nicole, Libby Holladay witnessed the kidnapping of Nicole. She drops everything and travels to Nicole's last known location - Hope Island, a small fishing town.

Her missing friend is not the only mystery for her as she learns that her father has recently passed away, but as far as she knew her father died when she was a child. Apparently, her mother had hid the truth from her. Her father had a life on Hope Island and had other children. Libby's father must have loved her as he leaves his Tidewater Inn to her in his will.

Libby's life is turn upside down as she tries to connect with her newfound family, and as she continues to unravel the mystery of her missing friend.

I have read a few other books by Colleen Coble and she has never disappointed me yet as Tidewater Inn is one of her best. Suspense and mystery is mixed into this Christian novel. Libby is an interesting character, who has a lot of stuff thrown onto her lap all at once. She has to accept that her father lived and had another family. That is not easy for one to take in.

Libby meets many interesting characters on the island, including the Chief Petty Officer Alec Bourne of a coastguard team, who is struggling to accept the recent death of his brother and sister-in-law, and now has to raise his teenage nephew, Zach, by himself.

Both Libby's and Alec's lives interweave with each other, as the kidnapping mystery unravels. The author has written an intriguing novel that will keep you guessing to very end of who the kidnapper is. It is necessary read for all mystery readers.

Disclaimer: I received a free e-book copy courtesy of Thomas Nelson.

1.0 out of 5 stars None, February 10, 2014
i think ii read a different book than all tthe five star reviewers. i thought the book was poorly written and the plot line incredible.

Tidewater Inn (The Hope Beach Series)
Tidewater Inn (The Hope Beach Series) by Colleen Coble (Paperback - July 17, 2012)
$15.99 $12.96