Tidy Cats Cat Litter Pan
Price:$42.59 + $7.99shipping

on March 1, 2008
I have had this product for approx 1 week now and this is like the litter box I've been looking for. I give 5 stars for design and ease of use. The high sides and the type of litter make for zero mess around the litter box. I have 2 cats..one long hair and one short. They both like getting their feet wet in sink or tub and there was no way I could use the sand/clump type litter without a mess everywhere. I used Feline Pine but still the litter box sold with it wasn't that convenient and the cats made a mess around the box with the low sides. These cat litter pellets are very similar in size to Feline Pine but they don't seem to break down like the pine pellets. The urine does drain thru the pellets to the pad in the easy to remove drawer below. I have not noticed any odor problems with the urine. There is a scoop that comes with the box that conveniently fits onto the back side and inside the box so you don't have to worry about what to do with the scoop or contaminating a surface outside the box to store it. I first bought only one of these at a local retailer and after I got it home and set up I immediately went back and bought another. I have always only had an upstairs and downstairs box and this seems to work for my cats although the recommendation is for 3 boxes for 2 cats. I had no problems transitioning my cats but I did put a small amount of Feline Pine on top just to start out. Since the other litter was similiar in texture/size I didn't worry too much about transitioning. If you are using a fine texture litter now though I think I would follow their recommendation to start out by using the new litter mixed in with the old in the old litter box at first. They have good tips on how to do this on their website. Anyway I am thrilled with this product..it is like exactly what I would have designed myself if I had been smart enough to think of it.
on April 14, 2008
I was so excited when I saw this litter box. Regular litter has been a burden since I moved into a home with hardwood floors...litter would be everywhere and I was constantly sweeping.
Here's the good:
-the piddle pads work good. they absorb the urine with little smell.
-the large pellets stay in the box far better than regular litter, and when they do make it outside the box it is easy to pick up.

Here's the bad:
-the kitty poo smells terrible because regular litter coats it to prevent odor. These pellets have no odor control.
-the box is small. It would be great if they could make the box a little longer. One of my cats sometimes hangs her bottom outside of the front and misses the box because she is a big cat. That's no fun cleaning!

I'd give the Breeze a try if you are tired of cleaning up litter. The box isn't too expensive, so even if you switch back in a few months, you will have gotten your money's worth.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2008
I have been searching for a litter box that is not too expensive, less messy than the standard box and controls odor. So far this box is the best I have found. I plan to buy a second box and tell all of my kitty loving friends
on January 25, 2011
You will LOVE EVERYTHING about this system. Let me tell you I have 2 Large Ragdolls (29lbs of kitties) and switched to this system about 4 weeks ago from a similar non-absorbent pass thru urine system (smartcatbox.com). My older kitty has bladder issues. This system allows me to easily catch their samples when needed for the vet! There is NO Tracking of litter all over the house and NO Smell! The box is sized perfectly for my large kitties. SO EASY TO CLEAN because liquids pass thru the pellets down into a pad-lined slide out drawer underneath where the kitties never touch. Because I have very "finicky" kitties, often in between weekly cleanings, I just spray a little water/bleach solution on the dirty pellets. Solids can be disposed of easily too. Weekly, I take the entire litter box over to my sink or tub - remove/clean the drawer underneath and replace the absorbent pad. Then I rinse the entire top tray with the pellets still in it with very hot water. Give a couple of sprays of my bleach/water solution! Pat dry with paper towels and "WHALLA" the tray and pellets are dry and clean as new again in less than a few minutes! The absorbent pads are like diapers and work FANTASTIC!! GREAT IDEA!!!! They absorb a LOT and there is absolutely NO ODOR! I have two of these systems. With one system, I poured all the pellets from the bag that came with it as it instructed. With the 2nd box, I only poured about 1/3 of the pellets in the box. My kitties use both. So going forward, I won't put all the pellets in the box at once. I haven't needed to purchase new pellets yet because they clean so well! Depending upon your feline pal, you will probably need to purchase the pads every month - you get 4 pads in a pack and expect to change weekly - or more often if you have kitties like mine!
on August 26, 2011
Whether or not your cat will "take" to this box is up to his or her personality, so I won't discuss that topic. I have a great cat, and was able to switch from her normal litter box to this box in 2 days. (She previously used a hooded litter box, and I placed the hood over the new box and added a small piece of feces on top of the rocks - she had previously used clay litter and thought the pellets were food, at first.) I have switched between many litter types, including Sweet Scoop, and Feline Pine, and knew that she would be able to adapt.

My care and maintenance tricks for the ultimate value savings:

- Use an old colander or strainer to clean the Breeze pellets every two weeks. I initially soak them in water to allow feces particles to lift to the top, then rinse multiple times with water. I then spray a bleach mixture over the pellets and let them sit, then wash with water again and let them air dry before returning them to the box.

- One litter pad, for me, successfully lasts for two weeks rather than one. I use this system for one female cat. This is entirely up to you and your comfort, but I was testing the system to see how far I could "push" my savings. I have included a photo of the pad after 3 weeks of use - which was far too long, and unintentional, but I noticed no urine smell to remind me to change the pad.

Can I use replacement litter/piddle pads/etc with this box:

Probably. However, after testing the pads versus Piddle Pads for dogs, and hospital pads for humans, I have found these Breeze pads to be the best genuine quality and performance for this box. No one paid me to say that. It's fact. They are well worth the money. After three weeks of use, I lifted out a pad and weighed it - it totaled 2.7lbs of captured fluid. The pad seals liquid inside extremely well, and has fantastic absorption properties.

I used Feline Pine with this for another cat in another box, and it seemed to absorb less and crumble more. The Breeze System uses pellets so firm that I am convinced that I could replace them with common rocks, and they would serve the same purpose. They are unlike Feline Pine, or other litter replacements I have found. If you are brave and would like to "wash" the pellets as I do, they will last even longer.

Clean up, pellet kicking, and maintenance:

Taking care of the urine is as simple as lifting out the pad, if you are lazy. Wiping down with a bleach or clean-up wipe will keep the plastic more sanitary, longer, and is simple if you change the pads often because the tray never gets wet.

The high sides of this box makes for less escaping of pellets, and certainly no mess anywhere near the level of clay-based litter clean up. My litter box is temporarily in the bathroom, and after buying a steam cleaner and spending 72 hours scrubbing clay off of every surface in the bathroom, I decided to try this box. Clean up of pellets involves a simple sweep up periodically, which we do anyway, and there is no worry of the horrors of clay-meets-water. The litter is cleaned by scooping the poop, shaking off any attached rogue pellets, and flushing it down the toilet. Easier than stressing over a self-cleaning box that clogs or floods.

Should I use this box:

YES! If you are tired of cleaning up clay and constantly purchasing litter, and think that you can ween your cat onto this box, this is a fantastic product. Nothing is perfect, and there is money involved in maintaining this box, but I found that it was no more than buying pounds of clay litter every month. Look up ways to help your cat adjust to this litter if you do not know whether or not he or she will take to it. The bag suggests sprinkling small amounts of the pellets into the cats current litter, and then replacing it, but I found that none of this was necessary for my 3-year-old female. I must note that she has never had a house accident, and has used at least 10 different types of litter and switched between 3 or 4 litter boxes before this one without incident, so I was confident that she would be a quick study.

Well worth the money, great box. Highly recommended. Frequent coupons available for replacement system pieces if purchased at a brick-and-mortar store.

Please note that I have no experience (YET) with runnier feces in this box, only firm bowel movements. If my cat gets sick, I can imagine the clean-up of diarrhea will be a nightmare. A thought to consider, and one that I am curious about if other owners/users have experienced this. There is little to repress the scent or filter the waste, should it happen.

The only negative was mentioned previously by another reviewer: when your cat "goes number 2" - you know. The smell soon fades, and since this is in our bathroom it is not a major issue. It is similar to when a human uses the bathroom: the lingering smell will last a few minutes to a half hour (if you have a husband like mine...), but is far less offensive than the mix that a sludge of urine, feces and clay makes in other litter box types. I found that it was easier to adapt to for myself and our house guests than the "familiar" smell of a traditional litter box.
review image review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This box is easier to maintain than anything else I have tried for my cats. The replacement pellets seemed expensive, but they last a long time. The specially designed scoop allows you to remove the waste, while the pellets drop through slots and back into the litter box. Very few pellets ever find their way outside the box. With two cats, I found the pads seldom lasted a week despite Tidy Cat's claims (but guess what?-if you run out of pads, you can slide out the tray, and dump the urine directly into your toilet). Try it, and once your cat makes the transition, you'll like it!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 14, 2008
I purchased this litter box for my cat, Lavigne, about a month ago, and he and I both love it. There was a transitional time of almost 3 weeks. At first he played with the litter and wouldn't use it at all. I let his old box become very stinky, as recommended, and he still wouldn't use it. Once I added about half a bag of the new pellets to his box, he bagan to get used to them. He switched over to the new box, and I took the old one away.

My cat has been using the new box for two weeks. He seems to like it very much because he is not digging around in filthy clumps of urine and clay all the time. I think it is more sanitary. The odor is minimal, and the pads seem to last about 4 or 5 days.

For anyone who is going to give this a try: Be patient and try a variety of approaches. Don't give up too soon, because this system is worth it. There are many benefits to this system. Not only is it more sanitary, but because the pellets and pads are lightweight, it is easier for those who are physically challenged, or live in a small space.
on July 27, 2008
Always the skeptic I bought this product out of desperation, with the attitude that I would probably regret it... Wow, I'm just glad I don't always listen to my instincts. I have two boys, 1 and 2 years of age - strictly indoor kitties. I also live in a tiny bungalow, so the litter box has to be in the the kitchen (of all places). The constant tracking of clumping litter, and the overpowering ammonia smell of the old box, had just reached the level of unacceptable. Every other product I had tried had one or the other of the above mentioned problems. NOT the Breeze system! I was a skeptic, not because of the claims of how it would work to keep litter tracking and smells down - that seems logical looking at its design. My main two concerns were 'operating costs' so to speak, and 'kitty cooperation' - my boys can be pretty particular. So here is what I did and why I think it worked so well: The box comes with one pack of 'diaper pads' and one bag of litter pellets. Cats love to dig...and dig and dig. So I added three bags for a total of four, to accommodate digging. I initially also put a few 'pee and poop clumps' from the old box into the new box and a few new Breeze pellets into their old box. I moved the new box to where the old one used to be and the old one nearby. The next morning I found only one tiny pee spot in the old box and that was it, I removed the old stinky box. The new box showed signs of use and I observed both boys in it sniffing around. I left the 'pee drawer' open a little bit so they could smell it too - to figure out where their 'stuff' goes! As for the money aspect I find that I only have to switch the pad once a week (yes, *once*), I simply turn the drawer mid week to where the other end goes in first. And as to the pellets? I have yet to add any new pellets, and it's been a month! I think the natural 'airy nature' of these pellets allow the poop to dry somewhat, so by the time you use the ingenious scoop the pellets fall right back into the box. I can see adding a bag maybe once every 2 - 3 months, if that. All I can say is that I am thrilled with this product, my kitties love it and my kitchen is clean an odor free without me spending an hour everyday vacuuming and mopping - my budget is happier too. *HIGHLY recommended!*
on January 2, 2013
Since Amazon sells this product several ways, I am repeating my review under each product because I feel it is important:

I rarely ever write reviews, but I feel very compelled to do so. First, I must say that I personally LOVE the Tidy Cat Breeze system! From a human perspective, it is wonderful. I owned 3 cats over 20 years ago and all that was available back then was clay litter. It is messy. As a grown, married, woman with 3 children, I finally allowed our family to start having pets. We adopted a dog from a neighbor and then the God brought us our adorable kitty. We found our kitten as a stray. He was about 6 weeks old, borderline feral. We cleaned him up, got rid of the fleas, etc. He has been such a joy. He loves our family, and we love him. He is affectionate. He and the dog are great friends too! When we took him in, I decided to try the Tidy Cat Breeze. My gut told me I should probably stick with a litter that more closely resembled a cat's natural instincts to dig and bury, etc. But, so many people had great luck with the Breeze. Well, our kitten learned to use the Breeze very well. No issues....for 4 months.... I had always been a little concerned that our kitty could not dig and bury as normal, but he was doing fine with the Breeze. Well, for the past 2 months, we have (and our poor kitty) have been through hell. He is about 8 months old now. Starting at about 6 months old, he began defecating outside the litter box. Then he began urinating outside the litter box....couches, cushions, beds, etc. He stopped using the box altogether. It has been awful. No spraying, thankfully. He developed an aversion to going into any box at all, so he refused to try new substrates, locations or boxes. After quarantining him to a bathroom, he still refused to use a box and even urinated on his food mat and on his "bed". Our family was devastated. We did not know how to help our wonderful cat, but we couldn't live like this. We would cry. I would cry from exhaustion of cleaning and reading and trying things. Based on some expert opinions, he had to be crated. While in the crate, I put his Breeze system in it. He started using the Breeze again! I thought we were done! As soon as he was given a little freedom, he tried to go on a couch and bed again. After tons of research, $100s and $100s of dollars, vet visit, experts, quarantining Feliway, etc....by the grace of God we found a wonderful animal behavior expert and trainer who has more experience than I could write in a review. We paid for a consult. She said basically that our kitty hates the Breeze. No cats should be using a pellet system of any kind. It is not their nature. Immediately after crating him again but with a new box and clumping litter, he was forced into trying the clumping litter and LOVED it. He digs and digs and just loves it. When we go to clean out the box, he is right there ready to jump in and dig and do his business before I finish cleaning it! That is a huge clue. If your cat does not care when you "clean" your Breeze system, then you need to find something else. Our cat has moved out of his crate into a larger space. Next week, we will begin to transition him back to full house! He has remained loving and playful. We have been taking him out of the crate for supervised play. So, what is my message to you? If you have been successfully using the Breeze, please evaluate if your cat LOVES it, not just tolerates it. Does he sniff around it, does he jump in to dig at times, can he bury his business, does he rush over when you clean it? If you have not bought the Breeze, toss aside your human needs and get your cat litter that is close to being outside in nature. If your cat is using the Breeze but periodically eliminates elsewhere for no known reason, ditch the system. If your cat seems to have no issues with the Breeze, but doesn't bury his poop, ditch the Breeze. If you are using the Pine pellets, stop! I know they are cheaper, I tried those as well. But the smell is really awful to the cats. Their sense of smell is 1000 times better than ours. And, press your hand on top of the pellets...they hurt. Who wants to walk on that? I won't recommend a specific clumping litter here, but I will say get some type of traditional unscented.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2008
I purchased my first Breeze litter box in June. I have since purchased 3 more. The ease of maintenance and odor control can't be beat! The only drawback was it took a little while for my cats to "poo" in the Breeze - but once they got used to the idea . . . well you get the picture. The urine pads are easy to change and really keep the odor down. It's really nice to walk into the house and not have that dusty cat litter smell whacking you in the nose. A couple of times the urine pad has folded over (due to my haste in installing a new pad I'm sure) and I've had a tray full of cat urine, but it was just a simple matter of dumping it down the toilet - the pellets last me a month and I change the pad once a week - nothing could be easier. And no need for litter deoderizer either. I hope Tidy Cat continues to make the Breeze for a long time to come.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations