Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

• 111

90%
10%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 7, 2006
When I first heard about this band from Dayton, I was expecting a bush-league Isis clone. I have spent a lot of time in Dayton and all the talent just seems to get sucked away to larger markets with less urban blight and more young people. The local bands seem to all be high school kids who can't leave yet, and that was what I expected from MOTA.

Boy, was I wrong.

This band has it together, on the same level as Isis and Neurosis (the other band to whom they are frequently compared), but with compelling differences. First off, they have a lot of slow guitar-picking interludes that quit the genre entirely, reminding me a lot more of Explosions in the Sky than any of the other "drone" bands. Second, they have a real talent for catchy riff-oriented groove. On one song, they shamelessly steal the hook to AC/DC's "For Those About To Rock," bending it just slightly so it defies your (well...my) expectations. This is NOT campy - it just rules. At other times this record captures the raw emotional energy of the first Hopesfall EP (a brilliant release - and their only good one).

A real danger in this genre is self-indulgence. (I feel this way about Pelican, Keelhaul, Harvey Milk, Red Sparowes, and...yes...even Neurosis themselves sometimes) Despite the weird band name, MOTA does more crowd-pleasing than navel gazing. Yes, for good or ill, the songs ARE all ridiculously long, but they make good use of the time.
on May 17, 2007
I would rarely recommend an album because of just one song, but the track "No One Wished to Settle Here" is quite possibly one of the greatest metal songs I have ever heard. I have been drowning myself in this song since I first heard this album. That's not to say that rest is bad, in fact far from it. This is the type of album that may work best when you just play it from start to finish.

There is such a raw emotion carried by these songs that is so incredible. The vocals and the lyrics don't stick out as anything special, but for me they serve more as an emotional conduit than a message delivery system. You don't listen to metal for clever lyrics. It's the music and the composition of the music where Mouth of the Architect shine.

As is standard with the post-metal genre, Mouth of the Architect require a certain amount of patience to get into. This is not pop - the shortest track on the album clocks in at 7 minutes. And that fact in itself will keep 99% of all people from ever enjoying this wonderful music. But the secret of this type of music, that all fans of the genre know well, is that IF, and ONLY IF, you are willing to invest the time into it, the payback is enormous.

What I love most is that fact that this year we are seeing a lot of fresh blood into this genre which has been dominated by a small handful of bands for too long. So support these new bands, because man - they freaking deserve it.
on October 13, 2006
After hearing about MotA, I spent some time looking for a CD. My efforts were definitely worth the wait. This is one of the best Post-Hardcore / Post-Metal / Sludge / Doom / Drone (whatever you want to call the "genre") records I've EVER heard. For fans, I'd liken them to a cross between Cult of Luna and Pelican (Isis has been evolving into an entirely different animal). I can't name one good track because they are all great. I tend to let these kinds of records play in their entirety and let it wash over me. If you have the time I'd recommend you do the same. In a perfect world I'd say this record brings Mouth of the Architect to the forefront of "metal" in general. It won't happen because this style requires a LOT of patience from most people, which is sad IMHO. Music this good deserves to be given a chance and heard everywhere.
on October 24, 2008
If you are a fan of harder music you need to buy this. I don't like the label post metal, but it seems that is what this type of music is being labeled. Neurosis, Isis, Cult of Luna, if any of those bands ring a bell then you are barking up the right tree. This band is 100% genuine & will instantly move you to a land of sonic nirvana. The songs are long, but even after the first listen they will keep gnawing at you. "No One Wished to Settle Here" is the highlight, but all of it is great. In my opinion this is the Mouth Of The Architect album to start with if you are new to them. I highly recommend their other 2 studio album's as well, "Quietly" & Time & Withering".
on January 3, 2007
This album crept up on me. After the first couple of listens, I had decided I was not a fan and that the music went no where. As I do with all albums; I tried it again. From start to finish I was amazed. MOTA created a soild work of art. Each song contains crafty riffs to complete this masterful composition. A couple of weeks later they came to NYC, so I went to see how they were live. A live show makes or breaks the album for me. MOTA's live show was amazing and the song selection was brilliant! Hypnotizing. After the show, the album became more powerful.

This album is a must have.
on January 10, 2007
get this album. it's like sigur ros, boards of canada, neurosis, and pelican had a baby and then pumped it with steroids. this album is perfect. the songs are really really long (no one wished to settle here is literally like 15 minutes) and i usually have a short attention span when it comes to music, but i loved every second of this album. it's solid the whole way through the melody is so depressing and moving. this album is a must have for people who listen to music and have half a brain.
on November 25, 2007
This CD is what you will assume from the name. Mouth Of The Architect....kinda...weird huh..like the MAtrix maybe? Well, If you like ISIS and you are a fan really of rock and roll then this CD is jaw dropping powerful and you'll wanna spread the word about this band. Seriously, nice job. 6 Tracks, 66 Minutes :D
on August 15, 2010
I found out about this band on accident. I was reading an interview on Mourning Beloveth and saw a picture of this band to the side and something made me check them out. This seemed to be the best album to start out from the reviews on Amazon of all places and glad it was.
This album is crushing, melodic, beautiful and depressing all at the same time. The bellowing low key strange tuned guitars with complimenting keys and samples is memorizing. Long, drawn out songs with epic progressive riffs with a small amount of lyrics and intense vocals when it's needed makes every song a journey.
At Arms Length is probably the best song on the album and at 7 and a half minutes is short compared to the others while "no one wished to settle here" is a 15 minute + epic opus. This album is up there with Neurosis - Enemy of the Sun, Mastodon - Crack the Skye and Opeth - Watershed.
on June 28, 2015
good album
on August 23, 2006
This is a work of art! this album is a true reward for those who believe that art can still exist in music.