Published 22 months ago by An Average Joe

1.0 out of 5 stars The Stroboframe is great - but this is NOT the same product
The 5-star reviews for the Stroboframe cold shoe are definitely accurate; that's a great cold shoe and you can feel confident putting any flash on it basically.

Published on April 27, 2010 by Jessica R.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Stroboframe is great - but this is NOT the same product, April 27, 2010
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)

THe problem is that this is NOT the SAME PRODUCT! This is a product being sold by Adorama Camera as Stroboframe but it is actually a Flashpoint (different brand - makes cheap knock-offs of lots of photography equipment). That's why the price is so low - because it's not the Stroboframe.

I purchased one and discovered this apparent false advertising scheme when I received a Flashpoint cold shoe. I immediately contacted Adorama and requested a refund and paid return shipping as well as the correct product. It seems they will be issuing me a refund while "graciously" allowing me to keep the product ("graciously" in quotations because to pay for return shipping would cost them the same amount as I paid for the product, plus the re-stocking effort - so they're really just doing themselves a favor by "giving it to me"). What they should do is give me the Stroboframe cold shoe, which is what I purchased and what I need. But Adorama is not very good with customer service. As they adapt themselves more and more for the consumer market (as opposed to the pro market, like B&H PHoto), they try to pull these types of schemes on unsuspecting consumers who "probably don't know any better".

In any case, buy it for $6 if you choose to do so; just be aware you will receive a cheap knock-off, not the mighty, original Stroboframe cold shoe!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Bait and Switch?, November 27, 2010
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
Until now, Adorama has provided me with fast and reliable service. Their service on this order was, however, PATHETIC.

I ordered 2xStroboframe Bracket Shoe Mounts. I received them quickly, but I noticed the brackets didn't have the classic Stroboframe red knob. When I looked closer, I noticed they were Flashpoint brackets. And shame on me for not reading all the comments about this item because another person who ordered this bracket reported the same problem.

I notified Adorama about receiving something different than I ordered. I expected them to tell me to throw out the Flashpoint brackets, which cost $9 each, and that they would send me the Stroboframe brackets. No, that's not how it worked. They told me they would send me a return label so I could return the Flashpoint brackets.

I complied expecting that Adorama would send me the Strobrame brackets. No, that's not hot it worked. I received a refund minus the shipping costs. I protested about being charged for return shipping. Adorama refunded the shipping cost.

I expected after the return had been completed that Adorama would finally send me the Stoboframe brackets. No, that's not how it worked. Adorama wanted me reorder the brackets. When I asked for reassurance that I would receive Stroboframe rather than Flashpoint brackets, I interpreted their answer as a "maybe."

I protested, again. I asked Adorama to send me what I had ordered. I hope they would comply. No, that's not what happened. I received responses that suggested they would send me the brackets. But they never did.

After sending a dozen messages over the past three months, I never received the brackets I originally ordered. The correspondence and return process wasted my time and required me to improvise on brackets to complete a project. I was left with a bad taste in my mouth about the entire proess. I tried for months to convince Adorama to do the right thing after they had sent me the wrong items. They never did.

I do not plan to ever order from Adorama again.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!, December 22, 2010
Edmund Hertz (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
Adorama Camera will pull a fast one on you and send you a cheap knock-off,which, even though it's a simple enough product, is built like crap.In order to get the flash shoe to fit, the thumb screw has to be backed all the way out, which then causes the tiny springs to fall out. If you're not careful then the spacer on the thumb screw, which I think is the culprit being slightly too long, will also fall off. Adorama wants the parts returned in new condition for a refund, HA!

1.0 out of 5 stars Still Cheating People, March 16, 2011
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
I usually read reviews in depth, but didn't think I had to with such a little simple product, but lo and behold, I should have: Adorama pictures the Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount with the red knob and says it's by Tiffen, then sends the Flashpoint version. Nothing new so apparently Amazon continues to tolerate the misrepresentation. Shame on you both.

1.0 out of 5 stars Same Story, Different Vendor, October 28, 2011
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
The Stroboframe 300-SHO is hard to beat. I highly suggest them. They grab hard and don't release. The recessed top gives clearance so the flash contacts do not touch the mount.

However, that is NOT what I received. Like so many other people that have left reviews, the old bait and switch. I ordered it through Fancier which was being fulfilled by Amazon. What I received was not a Stroboframe 300-SHO. The description states there is a "locating pin". The aforementioned pin prevents the piece from twisting when using it with some Stroboframe brackets. I had ordered three of these. None of the three contained the pin. None of the packaging contained Stroboframe header cards.

I already had and actual 300-SHO and compared the two models. Aside from lacking the pin, the size of the units were slightly larger and not built as well either.

Amazon was good about the return. But, I was disappointed that I had received knock-off equipment. I needed them for a shoot.

Fortunately, I was able to get them from B&H Photo. I received three actual 300-SHO shoes. All had Stroboframe header cards and locating pins. Learn from this and order them once!

5.0 out of 5 stars Order direct from Amazon.com to get a genuine 300-SHO, Manfrotto 175F-1 "Justin" clamp modification, August 27, 2012
An Average Joe (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
As there seems to be some confusion if this is the real thing, I received a genuine Stroboframe 300-SHO adapter. I ordered DIRECTLY from Amazon.com. I would suggest you do the same to get what you are expecting, which is a very nicely made all-metal cold shoe mount with a 1/4"-20 female thread and a plastic red knob. There's space underneath the mounted flash to stop short circuits, but does not take advantage of the newer locking pin mechanism found in many newer flash guns. However, I don't see this as a problem as the clamp is very strong. I mostly worry I'll over-tighten it by mistake and crush the foot of my flash! It's much stronger now and I highly recommend it. I plan to get more for all my light stands, and it also comes with a 1/4"-20 screw round black plastic knob. As a side note, you should also look at this item which comes with a different style knob (Stroboframe Accessory Shoe).

I used this to modify a Manfrotto 175F-1 "Justin" clamp (Manfrotto 175F-1 Spring Clamp with Flash Shoe (Black) to replace the weakest link...the plastic, non-locking (friction-based) cold shoe. I removed the OEM cold shoe and thumb wheel underneath it, and replaced it with a 1/4"-20 x 3/4" L socket set screw from the hardware store and this 300-SHO cold shoe (which does not touch the flash contact points on the foot). 3/4" is the perfect length, although I think a 1/2" length may also work.

BTW - If you are interested in this product, you may also be interested in the "Frio" cold shoe (Frio ENLFRC1A Cold Shoe Mount for Tripods). An interesting design, but it in my opinion it doesn't work quite as well with the newer Canon weather-sealed flashes (Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT Flash, Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash for Canon EOS Digital SLR Cameras) because the rubber "boot" gets in the way of the secondary locking mechanism.

*UPDATE* (9/10/2012): I bought a second one to use with a Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter, and I discovered the small round nub on the bottom of the Stroboframe cold shoe doesn't allow it to sit flush against the umbrella adapter UNLESS you attach the two adapters together before mounting the cold shoe.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of cheap imitations! The Flashpoint product is inferior., April 23, 2011
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
I suffered the same fate as another reviewer here. I received the "Flashpoint" brand of this product through Adorama and immediately became aware of the inferior quality of this knock-off product.
It would not fit a Vivitar 285 flash!
This is pretty absurd considering how many 285's there are in the world. I also tried it with a Sunpak with the same results. The clamp won't open wide enough without coming apart at which point the tiny springs fall out and get lost.
Basically the clamp screw does not have enough thread engagement, less than two thread turns.

I should have known considering the price that this couldn't be the Stroboframe brand product.
I'm still a little shocked at Adorama describes this item as "...Bracket Shoe Mount for Stroboframe".
Misleading to say the least.

Apparently some people have obtained the real Stroboframe item and have nothing but praise.
But I received the Flashpoint item and it's worthless to me.
Be careful when ordering and make sure you're getting the real thing, not the cheap imitation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, June 7, 2010
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
This product was advertised as a genuine Stroboframe product from Tiffen. The one sent by Adorama was a no-name knock off.

It does the job (let's face it, this is not a complex product), but it was not the product advertised.

After two attempts adorama refunded the money, but the whole purchase left a very bad taste in the mouth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pass this one up, August 1, 2011
Personne (Rocky Mountain West) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
How can you mess up a simple shoe adapter? I concur with the opinion of other reviewers that you may not get what you thought you were getting--at least from one vendor (Adorama). The unit is supposed to work by pinching the outside of the hot shoe. Enough pressure to hold a heavier object is likely to bend the hot shoe. I would have thought that there would be a piece to actually slide into the shoe--much better mechanically--but no such luck with this piece of junk. Perhaps it might work on some cameras, but that list doesn't include Canon.

Perhaps it's a good idea never to buy something like this sight-unseen. I sure won't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems a little pricey for what it is..., October 8, 2008
This review is from: Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount (Camera)
The product does what it's supposed to do--but at $14 it's only because of the lack of vendor options. The part itself should be below $10.

Bottomline though is that it works.

Stroboframe Bracket Shoe Mount