Tiffen 52mm Haze-1 Filter
Size Name: 52mmChange
Price:$11.25 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on August 6, 2007
Size Name: 55mmVerified Purchase
I purchased a 55mm Tiffen Haze-1 plus UV (ultraviolet) filter for my film camera lens. A UV filter is a good thing to have, even for a digital camera, as it does not change the color of the light (color neutral) as it enters your camera through the lens, but, for film cameras, protects against the adverse effects of UV light. A UV and/or haze filter also protects the front element of the lens against scratches, dings and dust, which is advantageous for digital users even if they don't need the UV protection.

The particular filter I bought filters both UV light and haze. The reduction of haze is good for maintaining contrast in pictures, especially when shooting on a humid, hazy day, or high in the mountains. Note: haze filters do not eliminate all haze from your photos, but reduces the effect so that details are not quite as obscured by the haze in the atmosphere. UV light is more prevalent as you rise above sea level, so this sort of filter really helps cut the excessive blue cast of UV light and the haze you find in mountainous areas.

I had read elsewhere a review of UV filters, and this one was rated highest in that particular review. I am very pleased with it. Colors are still bright and strong, and I believe it does reduce haze to a significant degree. (If possible, I will upload an image taken with the filter in place on the lens, though it didn't occur to me to take one without the filter for comparison.)

Most UV filters in this price range do not block all UV light, which is fine if you are just buying the filter to protect the lens. There are expensive, "professional grade" filters that block more UV, down to a certain desireable wavelength (also available on Amazon, I believe). But good, cheaper UV filters like this one are sufficient for most photographers, and, supposedly, this one blocks more UV light than most. The primary goal for me was to protect the lens from scratches and dings, without changing the color or quality of the light entering the lens. The UV filtering is just an added benefit, and should contribute to good film exposure.
Size Name: 72mm
In reading up on the subject lately, I learned that both films and the CCD's in digital cameras can "see" UV or ultra-violet, which is just beyond the normal human visual range. (Interestingly, bees can see into the UV end of the spectrum, which enables them to see when the nectar is flowing in flowers by enabling them to see the nectar guides in the flowers).
Anyway, too much UV light can produce a bluish image, and can affect the saturation and tints of the other colors. UV and skylight filters are great for reducing haze, and for eliminating chromatic desaturation of colors (i.e., the bluish washing out effect that occurs with distance), and enhance sharpness as a result, too. These filters are designed to remove UV and can help to some extent with the bluish cast. UV filters are colorless and skylight filters are pinkish. Both will work well as far as removing excess UV light, but note that skylight filters produce slightly warmer photos because of their pinkish tint.
Haze filters work similar to UV filter. Because of light-scattering due to microscopic dust particles in the air, different wavelengths are scattered more or less than others and can cause reduced sharpness. Haze filters can help with this problem. According to the specs, the Tiffen Haze-1 blocks 71% of excess blue at 400 mm wavelength. The Tiffen Haze-2A provides greater UV correction and filters 100% at 400 mm wavelength.
Excessive bluish tint frequently occurs in outdoor photography, especially in open shade under a clear, blue sky and near the water front. Unlike pink skylight filters, haze filters are yellowish--the opposite visual color complement to blue, which allows it to counteract a bluish effect.
I'd like to thank C-K's digital camera page at Michigan Technical University for much of this information.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 7, 2011
Size Name: 52mm
Short version: A filter like this is useful for protecting your lens, but it does degrade optical performance. Also, because it isn't coated, it is as easy to clean as cheap eye glasses. If you're setting up an important shot, though, you'll want to take it off when you're ready to push the shutter button.

Long version:
The front optic of your camera lens is coated on both sides, which reduces reflections going into and out of the optic. The result is that light does not bounce back and forth (as much) inside the lens creating the ghost images called flare. Higher priced filters are also coated to reduce flare, which can be worse in filters, because the surfaces are parallel. Optical designers go to great lengths to avoid parallel surfaces.

This filter is not coated; at least it doesn't say it is in its advertising. If I hold it next to a high-end coated filter, it shows about 40x the reflection of a light source as compared to the coated filter. Multiple coatings are even better. (Take a quick look at high-end binoculars on Amazon and see what the ads say about coating.) With this filter, though, you won't notice flare in scenes that don't have very bright spots such as lights in them. If sunlight gets on the filter while you're using it, it's useless, and even the best coated filters will have problems, as will most lenses. This is one reason for lens hoods. Hoods reduce the bad effects of filters in general, but they only protect from sources outside the field of view of the lens. (Hoods also help protect both filter and lens from physical harm.)

If you want something that will protect your lens and might actually reduce noticeable UV haze, this filter will accomplish your goal, and it's cheap. Tiffen makes good filters. Even so, if you are taking a very important shot, take the filter off. Any filter degrades, and this one will generally degrade more than a coated filter in the face of bright, localized light sources. I use B+W top-of-the-line filters on my best lenses, in part, because they are easy to clean. Heliopan have the most coatings, but there is a law of diminishing returns on coatings, and the only Heliopan I have came with a flaw in the surface of the glass! Hoya HMC Super UV(0) filters are very good for the money. I leave the high-end filters on my camera while shooting for at least half the time. But when I have the opportunity for a really special shot, I take even those filters off.

Years ago, I did a comparison test between a prime (non-zoom) lens and a zoom lens. I shot both lenses with and without a filter on. I was using a tripod and extremely careful manual focus at long range, where focus wasn't super sensitive. The filter did more to degrade the shot than going to the zoom over the prime lens. Filters are filters: what comes out just isn't quite as good as what goes in.

UV light, which is abundant in solar illumination, is invisible to the eye, but scatters off of naturally occuring atmospheric aerosols more than visible light. The scattered UV can show up like haze in your photos, because it may not be invisible to your camera. UV reduction isn't nearly as important as it was in the days of film cameras. Film is much more sensitive to UV than digital sensors. In addition to being inherently fairly insensitive to UV, camera digital detector arrays have a surface layer that blocks out most UV. Even with film, UV haze was mostly significant for longer-range shots where the effects of UV could accumulate over longer optical paths. If you're shooting in those conditions and you have the opportunity, be sure to take the shot with and without the filter. If you see a difference, post a comment to this review. I, and others, would love to hear from you.

Many people disagree, but I think every valuable camera lens deserves a filter for protection. They protect from scratches and smudges, and they keep out dust. An uncoated filter like this one will have to come off more often when you're shooting. Otherwise it's as good as the next, and it costs less.
on February 21, 2009
Size Name: 58mmVerified Purchase
The tiffen 58mm lens filter offers a level of quality to your photos on less than clear days! I have recently used this filter on some senic photos of the White Tank Mountains in Arizona. Althought I am not a pro,
I am a seriuos amateur and I am very pleased with the reults that I get using this filter!
on August 20, 2009
Size Name: 37mmVerified Purchase
I'm a photographer and I'd like to think I know a thing or two about filters. But all you need to know is that whatever digital equipment you've invested on deserves its lens protected unless hundreds to thousands of dollars is chump change to you, you will find this item handy.

I own a Canon VIXIA HF200 which I bought this filter for. Keep in mind that different lenses have different diameters so check your lens or your manual just to make sure. Of all the different types of filters out there, all you really need for your digital equipment to protect the lens is a piece of glass. So unless you need the enhancements/effects other filters offer (such as neutral density or colored filters), this UV/haze should do. Not to mention UV/haze is the cheapest option you have in terms of protection.

I know that UV is no longer effective since many no longer use film. So don't expect this to enhance your digital video/picture in any way. Tiffen is a known US brand in the photography community and it's pretty reliable. Of all the top brands, it's not on the high end side but it is on the cheaper side, though.

This filter should never be removed. In fact, I recommend you buy this filter and install it the minute you unbox your gadget. Not only does it keep your glass pristine, your gizmo will last longer and hold its value better if you decide to resell and upgrade. If you plan on using other additional filters, I would suggest you buy a different UV/haze filter with a slimmer profile --not this one. Stacking other filters on top of this one might cause vignetting. I don't know this for sure because I haven't tried, but from my experience in photography, this Tiffen is pretty thick and would add a lot when stacked. Other than that, I highly recommend this product.

I feel a lot safer when handling my equipment especially when children are around me. You never know when someone accidentally touches the lens with their oily fingers. And the scary part is, if you record a precious moment, you won't even know it has been tainted by a smudge until it's too late. By the time you review it, there's nothing you can do about it.
on July 17, 2010
Size Name: 40.5mmVerified Purchase
This is the second same filter of this brand that I've purchased. These UV type filters are pretty basic and meant mainly to protect the actual lens. These don't do much other than that. But, that's why I purchased them for my daughter's Olympus E-PL1 and a Nikon SLR that I own. As someone else mentioned, there's a bit of flare. Strangely, I don't notice it on the SLR. At any rate, it's not enough to not recommend it.

On the other hand, this Ensenda shipping company stinks. They marked the package delivered, yet it wasn't. I suppose it's good for their statistics. Not so good for customer service. Hopefully you'll be lucky and get FedEx or UPS.
on October 17, 2011
Size Name: 40.5mmVerified Purchase
I have known about TIFFEN filters for many years and that they represent very high quality but, had always bought, not by choice, what was offering from the multitude of filters made in China, some good some hopeless.
My new TIFFEN filter is nicely presented in a nice case with a little booklet about the product and, best all of carries the slogan "Made in the USA" How refreshing!

Kenneth Williams resident of Australia
on June 10, 2007
Size Name: 58mmVerified Purchase
This filter is one of those things you can't leave behind when you're using your camera. It protects the lenses against dust, fingerprints and even some bumps. I leave it on all times.

It's crystal clear to the camera. In my personal experience, I recently bought some cheap filters thinking I made a big deal but in the end, the camera wouldn't focus well. Then I bought this one, well I even hook the telephoto on it and still get great shots.
on October 14, 2009
Size Name: 72mmVerified Purchase
I take my camera to the beach for photographs. The filter acts as a barrier against mist being blown around in the humid atmosphere. I don't worry about wiping this filter down nearly as much as I do the lens.
on July 27, 2013
Size Name: 67mm
After reading pro's and con's on U.V filter i thought i give one a try after looking around at websites and reading reviews and reading what tiffen website said "Eliminates ultraviolet problems from most situations where increased haze tends to wash out color and image clarity. so for the price i gave it a try no need in buying a expensive one if don't do what its supposed to do you just wasted money.so for the price i went for it and wow does it make a differance i see the reason why this filter has gotton so many rave reviews i wish i could post photos to show you but due to amazon new trend of not posting photos so heres a link [...] its to my flicker account the first 5 photos are made with this filter along with a tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 A16 model on a nikon D7000 i am now looking into buying a much more expensive one but so far this tiffen has proving to me for the money it just amazing I.Q you get with a fast lens so if you are looking to try a U.V filter or wont one you can not go wrong with this one i look so forward to getting there top of the line model and seeing what it could do
review image review image review image

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations