4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't play well with Canon 24-105/4L IS
I've put this filter on many Canon lenses and it's worked just fine with no perceivable loss in image quality EXCEPT on one lens.

Published on November 30, 2010 by Jason Mongue

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done.
Great filter! I have used this many times for a sunrise time lapse project and it really balanced out the exposure. I kept it attached to my 50mm most of the time and it didn't take long before the glass came loose inside of the ring. I don't think it effects the performance at all but it feels much cheaper when handling when you hear/feel the glass rattling.
Published on June 21, 2011 by Eric D. Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't play well with Canon 24-105/4L IS, November 30, 2010

For about a week, I used this off and on a 24-105/4L IS. Near the end of the week I noticed a faint scratch/abrasion in the dead center of the filter as well as on the front element of the lens. Thus, I stopped using it (on the trip). When I returned to civilization and the land of the internet, I did some searching and found quite a few other folks (on dpreviewDOTcom) complaining about the same issue with the Tiffen filter and their 24-105/4L lens.

All in all, I'd recommend this filter, but try it on all the lenses you intend to use to make sure there's some clearance between the filter and the front element.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn about the ND filters before you buy one., April 22, 2010
If you think this is the strongest ND filter you can get, then it is wrong. DO NOT BUY THIS. This is only 3-stop and there are 9 or 10 stop filters available. Learn about ND filters before settling on one.

With this ND filter, you cannot take pictures of water falls in bright day light (even with smallest aperture (F22)). But if you want to take the same later in the day (around sunset), this will help you a lot. I took lots of pictures using this filter during my trip to Yosemite. I could take really nice waterfall motion (with 1 sec exposure during sunset) but all the pictures I took during day time were washed out...they all became too bright.

If you have a polarizing filter, you may stack on top of it (be careful with vignetting) to get more darkness.

The filter itself is very well built and I was able to easily screw/unscrew from the lens. I would put some more money to get more f-stop. I will post some sample pics I took soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my uses...maybe for yours as well, May 27, 2012
While not the strongest Nd filter out there, it offers (for my needs) the perfect amount of power. I'm very big on landscape and waterscape photography and this allows me to take the photos I want in just about all of the conditions imaginable. Some have stated that they can't get wispy waterfalls during the day and please allow me to correct them, yes you can and I will upload photo examples if someone would like to see them. I've shot with this filter in all conditions, ranging from full sun to cloudy skys and it's terrific! Again, you do not have to wait for sunset!

The Filter is high quality, easy to screw on and off and it drastically cuts down the light passing through your lens allowing you to take some beautiful shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars 72mm ND 0.9 filter, April 5, 2008
J. R. Osborn (Southern Illinois) - See all my reviews
I needed a darker neutral density filter than I already had. I got this one and used it on a recent vacation to shoot some sunrises and sunsets. I was extremely pleased with the results. Also, I thought the price on Amazon was excellent. There are other brands out there that cost more, but I have always liked Tiffen products, and knew that I would have no issues with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful addition to my favorite hobby. Stack them!, February 27, 2013
I tend to avoid filters. I'm not a photoshop guy. I like my images to be as natural as possible. With that being said ND filters are one of the very few filters that I will attach to my lens. Yes I said ND filters. Reasons are below.

I purchased this filter for night photography. I wanted to create the trailing headlight/taillight cityscapes that you often see online. One of my favorite things about owning a DSLR is the ability to leave the shutter open for a few seconds of time. This enables things like Light painting (google it its awesome). I was frustrated to learn that leaving the shutter open for a few seconds at dusk will leave your image blown out, i.e. way too bright.

I did some research and learned that you need this filter in order to leave your lens open for that long. Tiffen does a great job of darkening your image while preserving the colors that you see with your eye. I am extremely happy with the purchase.

ND FilterS?

Yes. My girlfriend bought me the same exact filter. She felt terrible and thought she ruined Christmas. I was excited to give her purchase a try because i read about ND filter stacking. This expands your possibilities even further. With two filters stacked I was able to take daytime photography of Niagara falls. The long exposure creates that seamless flow of water that looks so great.

Summary:

1 Filter will work great for dusk exposures where you want that trailing headlight/taillight effect. It will also work for day shots but with a quicker shutter speed than at night.

2 Filters work great during the day to really show the water flow.

Either way these filters are some of my favorite to use. The build quality has yet to fail me and I don't see any drastic color degradation. Hopefully if your reading this you are making the same "mistake" that my girlfriend made :)...except you can say that you meant too and give the reasons why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super!!!, May 27, 2009
This review is from: Tiffen 58mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter (Electronics)
Got this mainly for photographing waterfalls and it does a gr8 job. Didnt notice any loss of image quality because of this.
Very useful accessory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for getting slightly longer exposure times!, June 30, 2009
If your aperture is already at the max of usually 22, and you still want a slightly longer exposure time to show the motion of the leaves or such, this works. I got a set of ND's from different manufacturers up to a factor of 1000. Very useful tools for the artistic photographer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunglasses for your camera, February 7, 2001
This review is from: Tiffen 58mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter (Electronics)
Ever seen those photos of rivers and waterfalls where the water is all blurred and misty? This filter can help you achieve that and other effects. It drastically cuts down the light passing through your lens, forcing slower shutter speeds that will give the blur effect.
This is the strongest ND filter, you may want to look at the 0.6 or 0.3 for a less noticable effect. Also, be prepared to use a tripod. This filter will easily push your shutter speed into multiple seconds, so you'd have to have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great filter!, November 27, 2011
John Perdue (Charleston, WV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tiffen 58mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter (Electronics)
I was looking for a filter to assist me in photographing waterfalls and creeks, but didn't want to spend a ton of money. This filter, especially for the price, is great. All of my subjects were shaded to some degree, but this filter was still enough to get the blurred effect from moving water, but wasn't so dark that I couldn't use my Rebel XS's auto-focus when I wanted. I would recommend this, especially if you are just looking for something to experiment with.

4.0 out of 5 stars servicable, December 31, 2013
I wish it was multi-coated to make it less susceptible to lens flare. other than that it is a good filter.

Tiffen 58mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter