Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Size: 67mm|Change

on November 21, 2009
I have had many polarizers over the years. I have used filters such as this for over 25 years. I like the Tiffen as it is not too dark for most uses. I keep it on for almost every shot (unless it is night time or quite dark) to protect my lenses and for it's mild polarizing effect. (I take 1000s of images on a shoot, mostly landscape) Some other brands are too dark to do this. The dark ones many times look too polarized, and post processing has to take much of this out anyway. I do have a few of these and use them occasionally. I have found that an image that is properly balanced that does not need too much darkening or lightening post processing is much better, I have a Hoya but it is always falling apart (and way too dark). I have Heliopan 77mm Circular Polarizer Lens Filters and like the quality, but again they are too dark to keep on all the time. The Heliopan is the one I keep for special uses when I want more polarizing effects than I get with the Tiffen. The Tiffen polarizers I have had only were replaced when they became too scratched for use, broken from being dropped or run into things, or lost over board in my boat. As I said a couple of Hoya ones were replaced because they fell apart.
I use a Canon 5D with all high end L series lenses (most costing well over $1000.00) and have sold over 1300 framed GiClees ($300-$800 each). I feel that this filter does not compromise the quality of my images.
So in review. I don't want an unnatural appearance due to my filters. I do want the pleasing effects I can achieve with the Tiffen filter. I have never had a problem with any I had purchased, so recommend them to others. And I will continue to use them myself.
Albert Mach Fine Art
77 comments|694 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2006
The Tiffen circular polarizing filter does exactly what it's supposed to do, and it does it well. The threading fits on my Nikkor lenses perfectly, screws on and stays put. The rotating ring on the filter is not too tight, nor too loose and rotates very smoothly, staying put where it's set at. When comparing identical images taken with and without the filter, there are no noticable distortions or color shifts present.
11 comment|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2002
If you have an autofocus camera and shoot photos outdoors, this filter needs to be attached to the end of your lens. (If you have a manual focus camera you need a linear polarizer) The polarizer darkens blue skies (if the sky is light blue, you get deep, rich blue) and eleminates glare and reflection in glass and water.
With this filter, you can take a photo of someone standing in front of a window and not have the glare or reflection of the window shooting back into the lens. It also helps you shoot indoors at an aquarium (you can take crystal-clear photos of the killer whales and dolphins without glare from the glass).
This filter can't take the photos for you, but it can make your photos look much more professional. The only thing to be careful of is the fact that the polarizer makes the image a little darker, so if you are shooting in dark light, you need a flash or a slower shutter speed.
55 comments|318 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2011
I recently purchased this CPL for a trip to Orlando. 77mm is an awfully big filter size and when you get into this range, prices just really seem to climb. I know some people don't have trouble dropping 150 dollars on a filter, but when I really don't use it that often, this filter seemed much more what I was looking for.

Basically, it is a simple, uncoated polarizing filter. Construction is decent. I found the filter had a tendency to stick a little, but never had any trouble getting it off.

As others have said, it isn't super strong, but does make your skies bluer in a nice, not over bearing way. I did shoot into the sun occasionally with the filter on and found that it did increase flare slightly, but not too badly. Certainly it doesn't soak up enough light to be used as a neutral density filter.

All in all, I am pleased with this purchase. If I were a professional photographer, I probably would opt for one of the multi coated options, but as it is, I found it very good for the price and more than adequate for my needs.
review image review image review image
on November 25, 2008
CIRCULAR POLARIZER:
If you have ever owned a pair of Polarized sunglasses, then you now what this filter can do for your camera. By reducing reflections and stray light waves, this filter makes any scene that much clearer.
You will see more vibrant colors in bright scenes, your skies will turn a deeper blue, and clouds POP right off the picture. Reduce glare from reflective surfaces such as metal or water.

A polarizer works on a specified plain, meaning that the lens must be perpendicular to the direction of the main light source. As with sunglasses, they are parrallel to the ground, which works in most cases since the sun is normally above you.
The key to using this filter is that it swivels. Looking through the view finder, turn the filter until the picture is clear and vibrant. You'll notice the image changing as you turn it. In this manner, you may even adjust the level of polarization.

A great deal for a very valuable accessory. This filter works perfect, and compared to the higher priced filters, is a steal.

----------------------------------------------

UV FILTER:
The UV Filter prevents haze and reduces bluish tint in photographs by reducing stray UV rays entering the lens. It also has the added benefit of protecting the lens and glass from scratches and accidental damage.

There have been stories of photographers dropping their lens and the filter acts as a sort of impact absorber, shattering but leaving the lens unharmed. I would much prefer replacing the inexpensive filter, rather than a lens.

In my experience with the Tiffen UV Filter, I have noticed an increased amount of lens flare and reflections over my slightly more expensive UV filters. If I were you, I'd put out the small amount of extra money for a better filter, preferably multi-coated to reduce glare.

Enjoy!
11 comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2005
This item is either not coated or has a single coating and thus any time sun hits the filter, it produces flare in the picture. Furthermore, after doing more research it turns out that these uncoated or single coated filters can cause up to 9% light loss vs multi-coated filters like Hoya S-HMC or B+W MRC filters. As for polarizer effect itself, I think it's amazing and you owe it to yourself to at least try it on a nice sunny day. (the sky and foliage will look completely different and alive)
1515 comments|282 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2014
I bought this recently for my Nikon D3200 and it fits perfectly. It is very easy to screw on and off (haven't encountered having to use pliers to take it off like some reviewers).

This is my first CPL filter i have owned, so I cannot compare it to more expensive filters. However, it is clear that a nicer CPL filter would exist in the world. I took some difficult photos of snowy mountains (Idaho sawtooths) yesterday and had a tough time aligning the dark polarizer onto the blue sky behind the mountains (see photo). However, when taking pictures of rivers/creeks the polarizer cuts through the whitewater and allows you to see the river rocks (see my before/after photos). Also, the green foliage beside the river 'pops' with the filter. Unfortunately, at time, the polarizer gives the photos an artificial look (as opposed to a more natural look). Like it's been touched up.

It is a great filter, i love it. But definitely amateur quality (perfect for my needs), if you want to take professional-quality photos then you will need something nicer.
review image review image review image review image
on January 30, 2016
I am an intermediate photographer in college taking photography classes, so I do not have a ton of money on me. I got these Tiffen polarizers, and I am very impressed with the quality of the filters. These were two images I took before and after the filter. I used the same settings on each photo: f/10, 1/80, ISO 400 taken on my Canon EOS Rebel T3i
review image review image
on March 9, 2007
Filter works fine for the price. It does exactly what a circular polarizer is supposed to. As for the user below who says it causes light loss he's obviously new to photography, all cpl's cause 2 stops of light loss, no matter which brand, how many coats they have.
on March 9, 2014
I bought both – Tiffen ($24.95) and B+W ($149) polarizers for my Canon 24-105mm f/4L and 70-200mm f/4L on 5D Mark III.
SO FAR NO DIFFERENCE IN POLARIZATION PERFORMANCE, PICTURE QUALITY OR SHARPNESS!!!
The only difference between the two filters is the smooth buttery rotation on B+W.
That’s all. Is it worth extra $124? I don’t think so. I think I wasted $124.
I am keeping both, but I will have to now rate B+W XS-Pro Kaesemann CP.
Having Tiffen for $24.95 makes BW’s price to performance ratio 1 star – 1 for smooth rotation.
The rest is the same – I can’t see the difference between Tiffen and BW shots (blown up to actual pixels size on HP ZR2440w).
If I didn’t have Tiffen at all I would have rated B+W 5 stars..
It may change - all I did was just a 100 test shots on a sunny day on the beach.
I don’t think I’ll be using polarizers in any other setting anytime soon.
So if you are debating this Tiffen v.s. B+W – don’t. Just buy it!