4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly tested. Very good value, Tips to reduce RFI/EMI
Published 17 months ago by G

3.0 out of 5 stars cheap, but maybe too cheap
Published on September 12, 2012 by CRANKBAIT

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly tested. Very good value, Tips to reduce RFI/EMI, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Tiger Claw 1500W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC-AC 1500 Watt 3000 Watt Peak (Lawn & Patio)
This Tiger Claw is a respectable unit for the price range it is sold at. I had a chance to view the output on an o-scope. It is a sine wave. It does have a bit of dead-time at the 0VAC crossing point but cannot fault the inverter for that as some dead time is needed for its topology. The THD at no load is 2.3% THD, at full load of 1500 watts the THD is 5.5%. The crests of the wave is flattened off so that's likely where the distortion is coming from. It means that its not really able to power 1500 watts probably. At around 1200-1300 watts the THD is less. Voltage is nominal 115VAC, at full load it does sag to 111VAC.

This has a great surge capability. It advertises a soft start method, however in testing this unit is capable of surging for one half second at 3000 watts. Measured about 290 amps DC with a clamp meter. I run a 300 amp fuse on the positive DC cable with two BCI 31 deep cycle batteries in parallel for a total of 210Ah. I'm using 1/0 gauge stranded pure copper wire from knukoncepts. I added a blue sea systems on/off switch for safety and convenience as well. My application is tailgating and camping. The occasional power outage I can use as an over-sized UPS as well, but not connected to the main panel. I tested the surge capability by starting my oil fired hot air furnace. The inverter started it no problem with a 26.6 amp AC surge according to my clamp meter, running amps is about 4-5 amps (~600 watts)

Another fact to mention is that the outer case, AC output section, & DC input section are all isolated from each other. It does NOT have a live neutral configuration. This means that you "COULD" connect to a neutral/ground bonded panel and it will not blow up. I've tried this with my 2 pole transfer switch without any issue. A word to the wise, just because you could do this, I do not recommend it as it wasn't designed to be a grid tie inverter. It also cannot be paralleled together with another inverter unit to double wattage or run at 240VAC. There is no sync circuitry, I've looked under the hood. It does have internal automotive type fuses inside probably for the control circuitry inside. This info may help for diagnostics down the road.

This inverter is not FCC 15 certified, and EMI/RFI can be a problem if not dealt with properly. To be fair, any sine wave inverter will have some some degree of EMI/RFI no matter what because of their higher switching frequency than that of their modified sine wave counterparts. The radiated EMI/RFI from case has about a 3-4 radius around it where interference is present. Its advisable to ground the case to an earth ground rod, and adding a 0.01uf 500V disk capacitor between the negative terminal of battery and case ground will reduce radiated & conducted RFI. This is possible being the case and DC side are isolated. While doing either of these suggestions will help cut down on EMI/RFI, it wont completely eliminate it.

This interference will cause problems with devices like iphones ipads, android, anything with a capacitive touch screen, and other electronic devices not shielded well from EMI/RFI. However, there is a solution. Simple line filtering such as a power conditioner, like a furman or monster & adding ferrite chokes to the AC lines will solve the EMI/RFI on the AC lines. Also long as the inverter is located more than 4ft away from the powered devices Ipads, iphones and the like will work just fine. I've tested this and done video reviews proving this works.

Finally, there are three fans in the back, and one inside the case cooling the center components. They are temp/load controlled and will not turn on with a small load. They are loud. The unit uses PWM to control the speed which by nature is rough on fan motors. I expect the fans themselves are a no name brand and will eventually need replacing with a quality name brand ball bearing type that's more reliable. ***Adding the capacitor between the negative terminal & case ground also solves the cooling fans from "clicking" and not spinning at a light load. The cap evens the response of the cooling fans under light load. They turn on at full power then slow down to off without the annoying clicking as if they do not have enough power to spin. At higher loads the fans spin constantly which is expected. Without the cap the fans will still work, but testing has showed the fans do not engage till a larger load is put on the inverter. This can risk overheating, shorten life of the fan motors, and the inverter.

Again cannot expect much for under $200 USD, but still impressive for the price point.

FOR THE HAM SHACK GUYS!

FINAL UPDATE: 11/16/13 - The way the inverter makes a sine wave it uses pulse width modulation to approximate a sine wave at the AM and amateur radio frequencies. The result is a sawtooth buzzing sound at these frequencies. While it isn't a problem for most devices, it can be troublesome for AM radio stations. I have since implemented a "Corcom 16FC10" EMI filter to get rid of this RFI conducted on the AC lines. The filter is rated for 16 amps, though the inverter's max is about 13 amps @ 115VAC. Corcom 16FC10 Power Line Filter The Corcom FC series filters are specifically designed to work with "frequency converters" which by design are high noise environments. A DC to AC power inverter is a frequency converter. (ie: DC to AC 60HZ) Further testing has shown me the AM frequency intervals at which the MOSFETS driving the sine wave approximation is. Those are 680khz and 855khz. So harmonics/overtones from these frequencies conduct through the AC lines and radiate from the case. Type 31 ferrite is a perfect solution to suppress this RF hash. Its important to note that this is COMMON MODE noise, not differential. I've refined my RFI/EMI filter to have the corcom filter, and four ferrite toroids with all three wires (ground,line,neutral) wrapped 4 times on each toroid for a total of 16 turns. This brings all conducted emissions down to S1 to S0, where before it was S8 to S9. Don't waste your money putting ferrite on the DC lines, there is no difference in performance. Radiated emissions can be controlled with proper grounding practices. Any further questions I'd be willing to answer/test as needed here on Amazon. Cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Performance, Weak Documentation, No Cables, August 9, 2012
D. MCDONALD (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
After having some issues with a modified sine wave inverter, I decided to give this pure sine wave inverter a try. I was a bit leery, given the low price relative to other pure sine inverters and the total absence of online reviews at the time, but a youtube video I stumbled across (OF2M5i6F8) showed this inverter's output on an oscilloscope. It was indeed a sinusoid, so I promptly ordered one. Attached to my car's battery with the car running, the unit held up under a sustained 1580W total *rated* load (edit: my Kill-a-Watt power meter showed only 530W of *true* load) with no hesitation, alarms or shutdowns. All attached devices (including fans, refrigerator, network gear and phones) functioned flawlessly with no buzzing or other oddities.

Note that the unit comes with no cables (Cobra CPI-A4000BC 4-AWG Heavy-Duty AC Power Inverter Cable Kit, available from Amazon for $30), and the instructions are nowhere near as thorough as those of most other inverters. The two 12V attachment points are also quite close to each other, are bare metal, and protrude significantly, making it quite easy to short-circuit them, especially on a job site (I recommend installing a 200A ANL fuse <1ft from the positive battery terminal). Barring these issues, I would have given the unit a 5-star rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars cheap, but maybe too cheap, September 12, 2012
I bought this inverter for my truck camper because I don't have an air-conditioner and I don't have room for a generator. I thought getting a "pure sine wave" inverter would mean it works with everything. This inverter had a great price so i picked it over a few others. I have used this inverter for a couple of months and have noticed two things. One is that my iphones and ipads do not charge from the inverter which was a big surprise. And the other is that the 3 cooling fans are already going bad. I'm guessing they are the cheap bushing built fan instead of ball bearing. So now I'll have to un-mount my inverter from the camper and pull it apart to either oil or replace all three fans. Winter project.

The inverter did work good at running my two-way norcold fridge on a 3,000 mile trip. It also works great with my 950 watt output microwave. My laptop charges with no problem either. So overall i'm happy with the way it works, but a little disappointed with the quality of the fans. Not sure why iphone won't charge, so now i'm questioning the "pure sine wave". And the manual is more or less a waste of paper. It doesn't contain very much information.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying this inverter, but you may have to perform maintenance on it. So keep that in mind. And also be aware that it needs lots of power. I had to bridge my truck battery and the camper battery to get 15 minutes of run time with my microwave. It's a great setup but more advanced than most are capable of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mobile Office, December 27, 2012
My wife is in a crazy industry. Real estate, title work....blah, blah, blah...
She is always getting documents late from various people! Banks primarily! I said to her you really needs to be able to print while driving around. Why not? you are texting and talking...so why not email and print too!?! So I created power for a mobile office.
So I looked up what several others had recommended for various projects to convert DC to AC power and this is what I have compiled in my wife's truck:
Tiger Claw inverter which is powerful enough to power up to 1500 watts continuously. With a safe buffer, this translates to a safe load of 13 amps at standard 110 volts AC. A high capacity, black only laser printer that (trust me) prints several trees worth of paper without a hiccup. And then again because someone made an error at the bank and all documents have to be printed again. If you have been involved in the purchase or sale of real estate, you know that there is a lot of paper involved.
Anyway, back to the project. There are other parts:
Scosche EWFH Single ANL Fuse Holder (for 200 amp fuses). At lower volts, you are pulling a lot more amps!
Raptor RANL2002 200 Amp ANL Fuses, 24K Gold Plated- 2 Pack. An extra fuse is always a good idea.
P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor. A great investment so that you know how much power each item is drawing off the power source. It would be a good idea to check the power consumption of what you want to plug in before purchasing the inverter. You may find you can get by with less or need more power. Watch the entire cycle of the device you want to plug in. The startup uses a different amount that actual operation or shutdown.
Cobra CPI-A4000BC 4-AWG Heavy-Duty AC Power Inverter Cable Kit. This will be enough length if you mount the inverter under the front or back seats. Do not mount in engine compartment for reasons of exposure to elements (dirt, temperature and various forms of precipitation). This will not be enough length to reach the back wall of a crew cab Toyota Tacoma pickup (i.e. wife's truck) or a trunk. Longer wires will be needed (about 2 feet more! argh...) It needs to be directly terminated at the battery. The battery will not provide enough power with the vehicle off. It needs the alternator boost. And for applications like mine 800 watts or less then only 6 gauge wire is needed. Don't skimp on wire size or terminal size. This could lead to overheating and/or a fire, or simply melt the switch and then she is pissed at you because YOU didn't keep HER vehicle working properly.
Then the last part to extend the life of the inverter fans, maintain good MPG for the vehicle, and reduce load on the alternator --> install a high amp lighted switch on the dash from some local Autozone or Radio Shack. Lighted to help remind her if it was left on.
The laser printer requires a pure sine wave and this inverter provided a good solid 1300 watts to various appliances. The laser printer alone only pulled 800 watts max. Leave laptops and mobile phones on lighter outlet plugs, that way you reduce the amount of time the inverter is turned on...and the likeliness that it will be forgotten turned on.
The only improvement would be to have chosen an inverter with a digital display that would let me know the load and operational status onboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Inverter, December 16, 2012
I use these inverters for my business. I have two of them - one for three years and another for two years. Both of them still work like new, and I have never had an issue running my tools off them - even tools with variable speed triggers that require pure sine wave. They will even run my 1100 degree heat gun. Make sure you have good wire to feed power (like pure copper 0 gauge) and it will never let you down. My only beef - I did have to replace the cooling fans on one after a year or so, and it seems to create issues with anything plugged into it that has a touchpad/touchscreen (such as laptop, iphone/ipad) Never ruined anything, just the touch doesnt work properly while plugged in. I would recommend this inverter to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Runs everything under the sun but Microwave!, October 29, 2012
Ok, After 2 days of running #2 wire and installing breakers and disc, I wanted to test this bad boy out. It ran anything i would through at it. Ran my hole camper 68 amps on the 12v side. So I turned off my coffee maker,TV, changers and what ever was running. I turned on microwave and the invert stopped and alarms went off. I reset it and it did it again. I was drawing 62 amps around 650 watts. Still nothing. I tried it at 1/2 power and still popped. Any way its just how most microwaves are they will not run off inverters. If you need a work horse this inverter is great. It runs just about anything I would put on it. 1100 watt coffee maker ran no problem. TV,bluray,directv worked great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real good deal, June 8, 2013
I am very happy with this new pure sine wave inverter it runs electronics.just like the power outlet in you home does. It has almost as many amps as the standard wall outlet does which is 15 amps so its a good deal and a good price. I like it so much that I am going to order one more for a backup unit. The shiping was fast it was here sooner than they said.....Larry

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiger Claw Pure Sign Wave 1500 watt, May 11, 2013
I have two of these units, one in my RV the other running my Cabin deep in the woods where no grid power is available they both work well. They seem to have a very low Idle current when not in use as I leave them both on all the time when not needing power. In my Cabin that includes all night. For the price seems to be a good unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, So Good !, May 21, 2013
After weeks of research, reviews, and calls to tech lines on other inverters, I decided to try this one even though its customer reviews were a little mixed. I was looking for a 12v inverter that would run my T.V. DVD and microwave oven in my truck camper. I felt a pure sine wave inverter was the only way to go as my 2000 watt modified wave inverter failed at the microwave load, and the motor went out in the DVD player. I power it with two 6 volt golf-cart batteries and a 150 Watt solar panel. Well...So far So good!! This inverter runs EVERYTHING effortlessly. It is quiet, clean (power), and well made. I run 4 gage battery cabled to it and have found ALL inverters need BIG battery wires to work properly. AMAZON had the best price, delivery time was about a week. I would give it 5 stars, but need to work it a wile longer to be sure. I have had lots of inverters big and small over the years, this is the best one so far, pure sine wave is the way to go.

UP-DATE...5 Stars!!! works great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit for a nice price but..., November 26, 2012
I really wanted to like this device. It appeared rugged and well built. Unfortunately the unit would not charge an ipad or iPhone which is a deal breaker. The kill-o-watt meter said that the frequency was 59 to 60 hz. The power was fine, what could have been the problem? Nothing else was on the same circuit. i have four trojan T-105's. The ipad not only stopped charging but it also stopped working. It froze, and when turned off then back on would not except my password. After disconnecting the charger it worked normally. Had I continued to use it it may have destroyed it. I purchased the Xantrex Pro Sine 2000 and everything worked just fine. The seller and Amazon were great. I returned the unit immediately and got a full refund in 2 days.