5.0 out of 5 stars not just for kids!
Published on November 30, 2009 by Grandmom

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't feel the idea of the work came across.
Even though the work can be inspired, this book was not. I was expecting much different. It started out nicely but fell flat for me and my kids. I do recommend trying the work. It is helpful. It doesn't come across in this format for kids.
Published 20 months ago by Wordless Lyrics

5.0 out of 5 stars not just for kids!, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Tiger-Tiger, Is It True?: Four Questions to Make You Smile Again (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful little gem. I got it for my youngest grandchild and after reading it I had to get one for all of them -even the oldest. It is a wonderful story about a little tiger who feels his world is falling apart. When a wise owl asks him 4 simple questions he realizes his thoughts cause his problems. I think it is great book that even adults will find very valuable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, November 28, 2009
I've been using Byron Katie's work for a couple of years now. I use it for myself and my clients (I'm a Marriage and Family Therapist). This book allows me to use it with children as well. It's well written and the pictures are captivating. My 6 year old son really enjoyed it and asked to have it read to him again the next night. Now that he understands the concept of questioning his thoughts I can talk to him about it when he comes home upset from school or a play date. Even at this young age he is learning that suffering is a choice and that using "inquiry" can set him free from the thoughts that are causing his suffering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful children's book - and for adults, too!, December 4, 2009
The message here is that we choose how we want to feel - a very good lesson for anyone, not just children. No one is angry, sad, happy, depressed, excited, anxious - without his or her permission. A profound message with a light-hearted delivery - what could be better?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Work for Kids, March 29, 2010
"Nobody cares, and nobody likes me. Tiger-Tiger felt anger tears welling up in his eyes. Suddenly there was a ripple in the water. It was Turtle." - From the book

Deceptively simple but profoundly transformative, Byron Katie's four-questions of self-inquiry has changed thousands of lives. First presented in the book Loving What Is and in later books such as I Need Your Love: Is That True?, The Work presents a powerful method for examining distressing thoughts, asking first "Is it true?" and then working towards turning the questions around for a reality that is not only truer, but far less painful.

In her first children's book Tiger-Tiger Is It True?, Katie teams up with illustrator Hans Wilhelm to introduce The Work to children.

When Tiger-Tiger gets out of the "wrong" side of bed, he laments, "It's going to be one of those days"...and he's right. His parents argue at breakfast, he was picked last for games, and his friend Zebra decided to play with someone else.

Consumed with anger and sadness, he sits by the water crying until Turtle surfaces and asks him "What's up?" Gently by persistently, Turtle prods Tiger-Tiger to reexamine his assumptions through the four questions; "You say that nobody cards about you and nobody likes you. Is that true? Are you sure?", he begins, and then leads Tiger-Tiger through The Work.

By the end of the book, Tiger-Tiger realizes that when he isn't thinking thoughts like "nobody cares" and discovers that he would be happy if he could never believe that thought again, he rejoices: "I would be a happy tiger! I would feel great! I could do anything, and nothing would bother me!" he exclaims.

Illustrated with cheerful watercolors and expressive characters, Tiger-Tiger Is It True? is a fantastic book introducing children to The Work. My 11-year old read it and enjoyed it; we often use The Work to navigate through painful thoughts (especially me!) so this book was a great reminder that freedom and joy can be right around the corner through inquiry--a mere four questions away, in fact.

Highly recommended!

-- Janet Boyer, author of Back in Time Tarot

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiger-Tiger Is it true?:Four Questions to Make you Smile again, January 23, 2010
It was the best book for adults to read to children that I have found.
It is a great read about the realities of life and how we can easily get into a negative frame of mind and then providing a simple stratagy to resolve that thinking with inspiring questions.
A treasure that needs to be on everyones book shelf at home.
Fantastic illustrations
A great gift suitable for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and timely, February 10, 2010
This is a beautiful story to help children realize the connection between thoughts and feelings. It's never too early to teach the concept that questioning our thoughts is the way to freedom. This book will empower children and adults. Congratulations Byron Katie and Hans Wilhelm!

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't feel the idea of the work came across., December 22, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, November 29, 2012
K. Boddy (Elyria, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I read several of the reviews on this book and thought it was just what I was looking for to help inspire my Grandchildren to great things. The illustrations are great, but the content seems as if it would be confusing to children and is kind of preachy instead of telling the story through actions.
I will not be giving this book as a Christmas gift.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiger tiger for iPad, January 9, 2011
Wonder book but the digital version is full of typos and the pictures are so small they are almost impossible to see. Don't recommend it in this format

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall good, February 27, 2013
Heather (Denham Springs, LA, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this to help introduce my 8 year old to the basics of Inquiry. I really like The Work and wanted a fun way to introduce the basics of Inquiry to my son. He enjoyed the book, but like a similar book I purchased at the same time, he only asked to read it a few times.

The story is cute and easy for kids to relate to, but I think the ending is a little too similar to the adult version of The Work. The story suddenly changes from a enjoyable story in children's language to a complex exercise in adult language. Turnarounds are a bit abstract for the age of the intended audience. When I explained this idea to my son, he understood it in an academic way. He could figure out the 'correct' answers and 'pass the test' in the back of the book. But he didn't understand it viscerally at all. I don't think a child would or even should use turnarounds on their own. It's too easy (even for some adults) to fall into a self critical, self blaming state of mind which is the exact opposite of what we want to achieve.

So for the age group of the intended audience, I think the first two questions 'Is it true?' and 'Can you absolutely know it's true' are very powerful tools. The third question 'Who would you be without this thought?' is a good discussion topic with parents. Turnarounds should wait until they are a bit older. I think the next time we read it, I'll skip the part about the turnarounds and focus on Tiger's first three questions.

All in all, I'm glad my son has been exposed to the ideas in this book. Questioning our thoughts is one of the most powerful and liberating skills we can ever learn.

Tiger-Tiger, Is It True?: Four Questions to Make You Smile Again
Tiger-Tiger, Is It True?: Four Questions to Make You Smile Again by Byron Katie (Hardcover - November 15, 2009)
$14.95 $11.20